KYB GR-2 Struts/Shocks OEM Shocks BLOWN!!! - Maxima Forums



6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

KYB GR-2 Struts/Shocks OEM Shocks BLOWN!!!

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 34
KYB GR-2 Struts/Shocks OEM Shocks BLOWN!!!

I just blow a shock/strut after hitting an asphalt cave the size of Chelsea Charms breast. It hit so hard it chipped my rim and tire.

I'm no mechanic but the left shock/strut has been knocking and bouncing (not that i can see but i can hear it) excessively ever since.

So I purchased two KYB GR-2 left and right, fronts. the right side is fine I'll sell it on ebay used or if anyway is interested here original oem strut/shock.

I also placed an order for 2 KYB dust boots and bump stops. Probably won't even need them.

Here are the item numbers

KYB 334336
KYB 334337
KYB Shock and Strut Boot (No model number?)

Anyone here have these struts with oem springs? my car is fairly new and therefore I dont think i new new mounts etc. What do you gurus think? Am i missing something? I was thinking about lowering it since I've replacing the the shocks.

Btw if I decide on springs I'd be looking for a moderate drop and a smooth as possible ride setup combo.

Thanks in advance,

Ed
EdDii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdDii View Post
I just blow a shock/strut after hitting an asphalt cave the size of Chelsea Charms breast. It hit so hard it chipped my rim and tire.

I'm no mechanic but the left shock/strut has been knocking and bouncing (not that i can see but i can hear it) excessively ever since.

So I purchased two KYB GR-2 left and right, fronts. the right side is fine I'll sell it on ebay used or if anyway is interested here original oem strut/shock.

I also placed an order for 2 KYB dust boots and bump stops. Probably won't even need them.

Here are the item numbers

KYB 334336
KYB 334337
KYB Shock and Strut Boot (No model number?)

Anyone here have these struts with oem springs? my car is fairly new and therefore I dont think i new new mounts etc. What do you gurus think? Am i missing something? I was thinking about lowering it since I've replacing the the shocks.

Btw if I decide on springs I'd be looking for a moderate drop and a smooth as possible ride setup combo.

Thanks in advance,

Ed
i don't know what to recommend to you as I did replaced all my stock struts/shocks in feb with kyb and as of now with daily driving..they are all blown. KYB sucks...at least the stocks lasted a full year or so of driving....

when changing the struts, you may want to change the mounts as well just to be on the safe side. and there is no smooth ride with it comes to anything after market.. as my mechanic said, if you like the ride the way it is, stay with the stock set up. KYB are rougher..you feel the road...esp. here in NYC...
chris350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 205
don't get the kyb boot and mount..they are total crap.. stick to nissan mounts...
chris350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #4
Got Retrofit?
iTrader: (34)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 14,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris350 View Post
don't get the kyb boot and mount..they are total crap.. stick to nissan mounts...
Moog mounts are nice.

But OP, GR2's with stock springs should he perfectly fine. They are stock replacements after all lol The ride should stiffen up a little.
ChrisMan287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 34
damn lol too bad i placed the order only 60 bucks a piece though. I was really considering coilovers or the eibach/kyb combo. I do like a smooth ride but I also want the drop look. cant have the best of both worlds huh.
EdDii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris350 View Post
i don't know what to recommend to you as I did replaced all my stock struts/shocks in feb with kyb and as of now with daily driving..they are all blown. KYB sucks...at least the stocks lasted a full year or so of driving....
are you lowered?

been on kyb for 2 years, still #1, and theres nothing worse than quebec roads.
Kryogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #7
Former Sponsor
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 693
kyb's have been proven to have the SAME spec as oem's. you will be 200% fine
CXJ Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryogen View Post
are you lowered?

been on kyb for 2 years, still #1, and theres nothing worse than quebec roads.
not lowered yet but i am thinking about it. maybe after the winter. I am leaning towards eibach.

Last edited by EdDii; 09-05-2011 at 08:32 AM.
EdDii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,534
lowering has a tendency to blow shocks
Kryogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 569
KYB GR2 with Progress!!

on them for over a year and a half and have 0 issues
the macedonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryogen View Post
are you lowered?

been on kyb for 2 years, still #1, and theres nothing worse than quebec roads.

except maybe for some Toronto roads....
the macedonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryogen View Post
are you lowered?

been on kyb for 2 years, still #1, and theres nothing worse than quebec roads.
come to NYC... lol they are bad

not lowers..stock springs.
chris350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Matteson, IL
Posts: 23
I've been on tein springs with kyb strut/ shocks and kyb boots and mounts for about a year
I'm in chicago, they were slightly noisey at first. I didn't pay much attention to it, but soon as it got cold the mounts and boots got loud as ever. I could not take them anymore
I just replaced the mounts and boots with moog products
And it feels and rides like a different car. Very smooth and quiet
vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
Got Retrofit?
iTrader: (34)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 14,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmax View Post
I've been on tein springs with kyb strut/ shocks and kyb boots and mounts for about a year
I'm in chicago, they were slightly noisey at first. I didn't pay much attention to it, but soon as it got cold the mounts and boots got loud as ever. I could not take them anymore
I just replaced the mounts and boots with moog products
And it feels and rides like a different car. Very smooth and quiet
KYB mounts are terrible. That was your problem.

Last edited by ChrisMan287; 09-15-2011 at 01:18 PM.
ChrisMan287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #15
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 1,223
Been lowered on KYB GR-2 for two years with Progress Springs, no issues. They ride great.
RAZ76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 204
im thinking of getting the kyb adjustables with eibach springs, doing more research on other setups before i buy.
J2songz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #17
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris350 View Post
don't get the kyb boot and mount..they are total crap.. stick to nissan mounts...
Get Nissan OEM mounts. I called the dealership and the mount is cheaper than kyb mounts. I have kyb strut and mount on my front passenger side and after like 18 months now, I think it is busted again. So, I am planning on when to buy me 2 front struts, even though the driver side is still fine. I wonder what brand would be the best since people have mixed reviews with different brands.
PetitFrereMaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #18
Suspension Yoda
iTrader: (89)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Central, NJ
Posts: 13,496
There is NOTHING wrong with GR-2's on stock springs.

There's a lot wrong with KYB mounts, bearings, and boots. I go with Moog mounts (which include bearings) and stick with OEM boots only.

If you're blowing prematurely () then it's either installed wrong or you're on roads that mimic off road conditions.
djfrestyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #19
Senior Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 967
kyb boots are total garbage
ampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:53 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,534
i got all OEM mounts/bearings/boots/rubber insulators, and getting 4 monroe sensatrac. My KYBS seem to be shot after 50 000km
Kryogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 245
The KYB GR2's are a lot stiffer than the stock shocks and struts (with stock springs). I'm wishing I had got sensa-tracs or something more equivalent to OE.
jasoneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 205
Im gonna try one more set of GR2's with new Nissan mounts and bearing and that rubber insulator .... when i put on this current set of gr2's I had used the mounts that were on the car...mechanic said they were ok..maybe they wernt
chris350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 205
or should i get some drop springs?? NYC daily driving... like every day driving..
chris350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:50 AM   #24
Suspension Yoda
iTrader: (89)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Central, NJ
Posts: 13,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoneon View Post
The KYB GR2's are a lot stiffer than the stock shocks and struts (with stock springs). I'm wishing I had got sensa-tracs or something more equivalent to OE.


They're marginally stiffer at best. Exactly what you want to reduce the huge amounts of OEM boaty body roll.
djfrestyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #25
Suspension Yoda
iTrader: (89)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Central, NJ
Posts: 13,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris350 View Post
or should i get some drop springs?? NYC daily driving... like every day driving..
Depends on a LOT of factors.

Shoot me a PM - I'll help you decide what you need. You're local to me so I can help with the install too.
djfrestyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoneon View Post
The KYB GR2's are a lot stiffer than the stock shocks and struts (with stock springs). I'm wishing I had got sensa-tracs or something more equivalent to OE.
they seemed just slightly stiffer to me, not "alot more"
Kryogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfrestyl View Post
Depends on a LOT of factors.

Shoot me a PM - I'll help you decide what you need. You're local to me so I can help with the install too.
the only reason i would consider dropping is to fix that stupid raised front look. I don't want to sacrifice "ride" quality...if that even exist in the nissan world anymore.... but I think the gr2 and new mounts.....
chris350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfrestyl View Post


They're marginally stiffer at best. Exactly what you want to reduce the huge amounts of OEM boaty body roll.
To me they're a lot stiffer. Maybe it's because I'm in the salt belt and the roads around here are $hit and I hit more bumps than you, I dunno. I just put Tein springs on them yesterday and the ride feels the same as with the stock springs. I just had to get rid of the 6" of wheel gap on the front.
jasoneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #29
Suspension Yoda
iTrader: (89)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Central, NJ
Posts: 13,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryogen View Post
they seemed just slightly stiffer to me, not "alot more"
Agree. Not a LOT stiffer...such as compared to level 5 on Illuminas, but slightly stiffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris350 View Post
the only reason i would consider dropping is to fix that stupid raised front look. I don't want to sacrifice "ride" quality...if that even exist in the nissan world anymore.... but I think the gr2 and new mounts.....
Go with H&R's. Moderate drop and still a comfortable ride. GR-2's and H&R's pair well together. Moog strut mounts, and don't forget OEM dustboots.

PM me, I do installs for local org members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoneon View Post
To me they're a lot stiffer. Maybe it's because I'm in the salt belt and the roads around here are $hit and I hit more bumps than you, I dunno. I just put Tein springs on them yesterday and the ride feels the same as with the stock springs. I just had to get rid of the 6" of wheel gap on the front.
Lol. My friend, I'm in the northeast. New York City. Without turning this into a p!ssing contest, I guarantee the roads here are worse.

Tein is a good spring, hope you enjoy the new ride - and smaller wheel gap
djfrestyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,534
if you wana brag about bad roads, im in quebec, canada.
Kryogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #31
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 245
Roads aren't bad in Canada, you just can't find them in the winter.
jasoneon is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CAN-Toronto FS: Basement cleaning knight_yyz 5th Generation Classifieds (2000-2003) 12 11-01-2015 02:34 PM
Suspension replacement JakeOfAllTrades 7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) 6 10-05-2015 11:40 AM
Sport suspension on SV max JakeOfAllTrades 7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) 1 09-30-2015 04:16 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:07 PM.