6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

headlight adjust

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 09:29 AM

headlight adjust

Hello everyone on my 2006 Maxima i need to adjust headlights because the left one is shooting down how could i fix that please help Thanks
Old 10-15-2009, 01:22 PM

1. remove your headlight.
2. unscrew the brown cover that holds your bulb or balast.
3. look at your balast or blub and check to see if it is flush against the housing.

sometimes the bulbs or blast will come lose on 1 side and hang low. Check the pastic clips and look for wear or broken clips.

4. check your lens. it may have come lose or broken.

All of those goodies are under that brown/tan cover located on the back of the headlight.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Also, if you pop open your hood and standing down, looking directly down on the headlight, if there are no wires obstructing your view. You can see a bolt/screw (behind the actual headlight unit) that you can adjust the pivot/aim of the head light and both fog light. You don't have to take the whole headlight out, but if you look directly down, you can see a slot with these triangle looking teeth thingy's (on top, facing you), you can use a phillips screw driver to adjust your headlights.

I i remember correctly, turning Clockwise will lower the aim, counter-clock wise will raise it.

I'll try to take pic if you can't spot it out.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Adjust headlight from left to right

Hi, I just had some HID headlights installed and they are in need of some adjustment. I found the adjustment for up and down, but how bout from left to right? Please advise. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:58 AM

The left one is suppossed to aim a little lower than the right so you don't blind oncoming traffic. The right is a little higher so you can see road signs, the berm of the road, etc.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:39 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by OhYeahBB
Hi, I just had some HID headlights installed and they are in need of some adjustment. I found the adjustment for up and down, but how bout from left to right? Please advise. Thanks for your help.
there is no horizontal adjustment. The bulb fits securely to only point forward. Check the bulb.

Like stated the left bulb should cutoff lower than the right.
your beam battern should be like this:

________________ ______
_____/

Last edited by NismoMax80; 10-13-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:43 PM

i wonder if the cut off lines are close together or should they be far apart..

should they be like this?

____/------- _____/--------

or

______/------------_______/------------

i mean when i aimed them i try to move them farther apart because of the low visibility on the sides.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:20 PM
SuPeRmOd

not sure what you're asking, but the diagram i tried to simulate includes both bulbs.

the / mark indicated inbetween both bulbs. driver side is the lower line, passenger is the higher line. not sure why you drew double?

no idea if it would look any different with bad alignment, but for high beam, (the cutoff is lifted) the light should be a solid uniform arch.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. I was wondering if I was missing something. I love the HID look. If you guys dont have them, you should get them. Pretty cheap out there if you search around...$40-$60. The look and brightness is worth the $$$$.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah... I just installed HID's on my 2008. The stock halogen bulbs were aimed correctly, but, now I have one side higher than the other with the HID's. I had the same thing happen when I installed HID's on my 06 Ram pickup. What I tried with the Ram is taking the bulb back out and rotating it that seemed to fix the difference in height. Sooooo I'm wondering if the HID bulbs actually have an up and down side to them. Unless I can find no other method of adjustment I do not want to have to take the bumper off again to play with the bulb installation. Besides.... how are you supposed to aim a headlight that is not fastened to the car. For the life of me ... I can't figure out why Nissian made it such a freakin pain in the hind-end to change some headlight bulbs. They really deserve a swift kick for this one.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by phoen_x_a34
Also, if you pop open your hood and standing down, looking directly down on the headlight, if there are no wires obstructing your view. You can see a bolt/screw (behind the actual headlight unit) that you can adjust the pivot/aim of the head light and both fog light. You don't have to take the whole headlight out, but if you look directly down, you can see a slot with these triangle looking teeth thingy's (on top, facing you), you can use a phillips screw driver to adjust your headlights.

I i remember correctly, turning Clockwise will lower the aim, counter-clock wise will raise it.

I'll try to take pic if you can't spot it out.
this is exactly what i did but used a long skinny flat head screw driver where you see the triangle teeth...i had to re-adjust the passenger side housing down, counter-clockwise
Old 01-10-2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by mtndewnut
Sooooo I'm wondering if the HID bulbs actually have an up and down side to them.
You know what? I wonder the same exact thing. I put 9006 HID bulbs in my halogen reflectors, and it seems like my high beams are a LOT brighter than the low beams, which means that the bright light is blocked by the cutoff shield. I don't know if it has to do with the orientation of the bulb, if that's what happens when you put different bulbs in halogen projectors, or if the cutoff shield is supposed to block brighter light. I've been pretty disappointed with every aftermarket HID kit I've put in, they've all turned out the same. I know everyone will say you get what you pay for, but I don't want to shell out money on a higher end kit that will just turn out the same.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
Like stated the left bulb should cutoff lower than the right.
your beam battern should be like this:

________________ ______
_____/
I never knew that was how it was supposed to be...everyone that rides in my car is like why is the left side lower and it honestly drives me nutz, but I figured the original owner did it not to blind people....never knew it was that way from the factory.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:10 AM

I heard it was from factory so that you don't blind drivers on the opposite side of traffic. My older brothers brand new 2005 LS 430 and my fathers brand new 2008 LS 460 at the time were both just like the maxima, the left shot lower than the right. My dad didnt like it and complained to lexus and thats the story they gave us. It seems somewhat plausible but don't both headlights blind oncoming drivers!?!!
Old 05-07-2011, 02:52 PM

Great advise...im going to adjust my headlight tonight...
Old 05-07-2011, 03:23 PM
dot dot dot ...

Having fun bumping old thread?
Old 10-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can someone post a picture as to where this adjustment screw is. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DaChief
Can someone post a picture as to where this adjustment screw is. Thanks in advance!
Same here. Can someone please post a pic of where these adjustment screws are please. Thanks in advance.

I have a 2008 Maxima.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:56 PM
SuPeRmOd

please leave your adjustments alone.

unless you are being flashed constantly and can tell little difference between high and low beam. They are fine. The left should be lower than the left. They should have the drastic cutoff as mentioned above.