6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2004 Maxima Air Vents Are Stuck Closed

Old 06-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2004 Maxima Air Vents Are Stuck Closed

I have a 2004 Maxima and my son pushed the dial that adjusts the open to close (for the dash vents) past its normal stopping point and now it is stuck closed. I've tried to move the dial but it just won't budge. Any suggestions on how to get my vents re-opened????
Old 06-25-2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by GinaG
I have a 2004 Maxima and my son pushed the dial that adjusts the open to close (for the dash vents) past its normal stopping point and now it is stuck closed. I've tried to move the dial but it just won't budge. Any suggestions on how to get my vents re-opened????
The vent flaps work on a simple plastic gear from the dial. Your son forced the dial past the last tooth on the gear causing it to become stuck. The only way to fix this is to take it apart and reset the gear or force it to jump back just as your son forced it to jump foreward.

Unless you have the ability to completely remove and disassemble the vent housing your best bet is to force it back open, or replace it. at least if you force it back open you have the chance of fixing it, or if it breaks but you still the the function of the air conditioning.

best method..

Take a flat head screw driver, get it in between the vent flaps and at the same time as you pry it open take the other hand and try to move the dial back. Do this simultaneously as a little force from both ends of the dial may get it back on track. take a towel and place it over the dial to get a little bit more traction and cushion, kinda like placing a towel over a hard to open pickle jar. this may be the only edge you need.

Report back.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
The vent flaps work on a simple plastic gear from the dial. Your son forced the dial past the last tooth on the gear causing it to become stuck. The only way to fix this is to take it apart and reset the gear or force it to jump back just as your son forced it to jump foreward.

Unless you have the ability to completely remove and disassemble the vent housing your best bet is to force it back open, or replace it. at least if you force it back open you have the chance of fixing it, or if it breaks but you still the the function of the air conditioning.

best method..

Take a flat head screw driver, get it in between the vent flaps and at the same time as you pry it open take the other hand and try to move the dial back. Do this simultaneously as a little force from both ends of the dial may get it back on track. take a towel and place it over the dial to get a little bit more traction and cushion, kinda like placing a towel over a hard to open pickle jar. this may be the only edge you need.

Report back.
Exact same issue here. Let me know if this works and I might retry. I've worked on it some but probably not this specific method. Nice post. Thanks
Old 06-26-2012, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Longhorn101
Exact same issue here. Let me know if this works and I might retry. I've worked on it some but probably not this specific method. Nice post. Thanks
yeah, i mean why not, if its broke why not try to fix it, not like you can make it any worse... unless you try and fix it with fire or something.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks, twentyeggs! I was able to unjam the vents by using the long, flat head on the mechanics and pushing on the dial simultaneously!!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by GinaG
Thanks, twentyeggs! I was able to unjam the vents by using the long, flat head on the mechanics and pushing on the dial simultaneously!!
Yay, im glad to hear it. Congrats on your newly working ac vent!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:16 PM

I have same issue. i will try that tomorrow.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:25 AM

oh god thats why I don't have kids.