6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2004 maxima se transmission drain/flush

Old 09-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2004 maxima se transmission drain/flush

I went to the Nissan dealer to try to get a transmission flush but they told me that since I have 120,000 miles on it they would not touch it. I was wondering if I should look somewhere else to get it drained or leave it. The car has been jerking at lights or stop signs but not on highway. I just recently purchased the car about 2 weeks ago an the transmission fluid is really dark as well.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:38 PM

The most important thing in buying a used car. The AT. It's just too expensive to replace. How bad is the fluid? I would drain it and replace with same amount of Nissan K matic and see what happens.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

When I test drove it and got it checked by mechanic no problem at that time and recently it started to do that so I tried to check the fluid and saw it was black... Okay thx will try to drain it
Old 09-08-2012, 03:09 AM

Make sure you have 14 quarts of fluid on hand. Extra fluid can always be returned to store for refund. Also have a way to catch at least 5 quarts of fluid that can be put under the car.
Follow these steps to drain and fill your trans fluid:
1. Run car for 10 minutes and cycle through gears P/D/R while parked and brake is applied. Reving although temping, is not necessary.
2. Put in Park and shut off engine. Let cool for 5 minutes or so. Long enough to prevent getting burns while draining.
3. Drain fluid from drain plug located centerline at the bottom of trans.
4. Measure amount drained.
5. Refill with new fluid "Matic K" same amount as your drained.
Once refilled; repeat steps 1-5 over two more times for a total of at least 3 times. This is enought times to get most of your old trans fluid out of the torque converter which holds most of your fluid. If after the third time you did this and check your fluid and it is still black, get your trans serviced. If it is mostly red with a brownish tint to it, then drain and fill again. The trans holds if I remember correctly 14 quarts of trans fluid in total. You will only get around 4 quarts to drain at a time. Whatever you do, do not run your car and cycle through the gears without having the correct amount of fluid in the trans, you will break it. You also want to make sure you don't over fill either. this causes fluid to foam up. Good luck, hope this helps.

Last edited by po8pimp; 09-08-2012 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you so much
Old 09-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The dealer told me that since I have no history of it I should just let it run untill it does. Should I follow that advice or should I still get at least get drained?
Old 09-08-2012, 12:16 PM

You should never flush an old tranny. Drain and refill as advised above is the only method you should use when replacing fluid. If the fluid is in really bad shape then draining/refilling too much of it will actually make it slip. I wouldn't drain the entire capacity as advised, instead do about 8 quarts. Only doing half the capacity or so will avoid shocking the transmission into slipping. GL
Old 09-10-2012, 09:42 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
You should never flush an old tranny. Drain and refill as advised above is the only method you should use when replacing fluid. If the fluid is in really bad shape then draining/refilling too much of it will actually make it slip. I wouldn't drain the entire capacity as advised, instead do about 8 quarts. Only doing half the capacity or so will avoid shocking the transmission into slipping. GL
Could you explain in more detail how it slips with new fluid? Does this happen in your experience specifically with the 5AT or in general? Do all trans react the same regardless of gears or if it has tip-tronic?

letting it run until it dies will happen faster than keeping new fluid in it by draining/filling.

Check the Sticky for options of diagnosing/fixing it. If a part is failing, new fluid may likely burn up quickly or only mask a worsening problem.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:38 PM

Changing the fluid to new fluid should not cause slipping. slipping is caused by worn down clutch pads, or soft parts as some call it in the trans. The new fluid should be more viscous and have less impurities in it to keep it from lubricating where it needs to lubricate. Also the fluid will get hotter quicker with all the impurities especially if there are small shavings in the fluid. The trans doesn't work like your motor where the older it gets the less you want to mess with it. Meaning it is being held together by old oil and if you flush it, the old oil that was plugging a hole will no longer plug the hole causing problems. The trans is a closed loop system and doesn't work in the same manner. the fluid is moving pretty much all the time and is at a high pressure so it doesn't really sit in crevises. Bottom line change the fluid if it is dark brown or black. If you really don't think so just call around and get opinions from local transmission shops.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
Changing the fluid to new fluid should not cause slipping. slipping is caused by worn down clutch pads ...The trans doesn't work like your motor where the older it gets the less you want to mess with it. Meaning it is being held together by old oil and if you flush it, the old oil that was plugging a hole will no longer plug the hole causing problems. The trans is a closed loop system and doesn't work in the same manner. the fluid is moving pretty much all the time and is at a high pressure so it doesn't really sit in crevises.
Good info. Unfortunately, many have been led to hold a contrary view.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:19 AM

The only reason the dealership doesn't want to change it is the chance of them being held accountable for it failing 3 weeks later. They've probably been sued and just figure it's safer to send you on your way. That doesn't mean you shouldn't change the fluid. Change it at a transmission shop, maybe they can observe some things that will let you know what your future holds. They probably can get you into a rebuilt much cheaper then a new from the dealership too.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:16 PM
SuPeRmOd

Flush is different than changing the fluid.

Flushing has a concern of dislodging or completely breaking failing parts for old trans. It uses pressure to force out old fluid with new fluid.

Changing (aka drain and fill), simply removes some burnt or particle ridden old fluid then add fresh fluid. After a few changes you have mostly new fluid keeping it cooler.

Please check your level. if red and low, add.
If looks good, replace once or twice every 30k. (15k if ****)
If brown or worse, replace immediately as many times needed until red.

If it's low before you dump, then replace until level.
If at correct level, replace with equal amount. Still check level.

I never see a reason to flush. 5AT was designed not to be flushed. Some have found a way to flush... but why?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:29 PM

Please do not drain and refill "all" of the fluid in the transmission!!! You may/will make matters worse. Who owned the car before you? Was it purchased at a dealership or a private owner? Go ask some questions. Find out if this was a pre existing issue or not. Although you may never get the truth or even an answer for the matter, but this transmission issue may end up costing alot of $$ if it's a situation where you have to replace it. If someone can help you one way or another it would be a blessing. If you can afford it, trade the car in. I've seen other owners of this car replace their transmissions twice already (it's not unheard of in the community). It's just so bothersome how so many 6th Gen Max has this issue and Nissan does not recognize something is/went wrong here...and honestly that lie of a normal percentage 6th Gen Maximas having the tranmsission issue is BLLSHT!!! A simple google search on the 2004-2006 Maxima transmission problem proves it! I wish you luck Man. Keep us updated.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:47 PM
SuPeRmOd

If you knew so much about this community, you would know about the extensive thread with the fixes.

Show the studies, examples, proof as to why changing the fluid is bad. If you have facts that old burnt fluid is better left alone, everyone needs to see it.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
If you knew so much about this community, you would know about the extensive thread with the fixes.

Show the studies, examples, proof as to why changing the fluid is bad. If you have facts that old burnt fluid is better left alone, everyone needs to see it.
Couldn't agree with you more. The fact is most people have been overcome by the fear of the 6th gen than the knowledge of it. I don't know what would have become of my car if I had not been a part of this forum. When I had the tranny problem I had all the answers here, and I solved it without any issues. But then how many Maxima owners are members of any Maxima forum at all?
Old 09-14-2012, 04:31 AM

Why did you go to the stealership for something so simple? Doing a transmission fluid change is like doing an motor oil change, all you need is a jack, stands, oil drain pan, and I think a 14mm socket and wrench. Wait a min, do you know how to change your engine oil? I went to the stealership to buy tranny fluid for my ex's 2008 Nissan Rogue and almost got a heart attack when the told me that synthetic CVT crap oil cost $32/litre and you need f. Called my supplier and got a japanese brand almost identical to the stealership for $13/litre.

There's no need to go to the stealership to have them over charge you for simple DIY job. If you fear that you might do something wrong ask a friend for some help. Besides it's way more rewarding to do it yourself than have a dealership take all your money to do something any inexperience person can do
Old 09-14-2012, 04:34 PM

I never once said I knew about this community. As for studies and facts, anyone can show studies and facts of just about everything in the world. Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang off a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy... and again, I never once said old burnt fluid is better left alone neither. Wish you luck with this matter.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:41 PM