6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Nissan maxima 2004 shuts off while driving

Old 11-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nissan maxima 2004 shuts off while driving

Hey guys/gals, im a new member of the community. I own a nissan maxima 2004 sl automatic 5 speed with 11700 miles. I have had many problems but the worst problme i think i jus started having a week ago. So when ever im driving my car randomly shuts off, most of the time it happens when im getting of the free way and i start to slow down or start to stop at a red light after im driving like 40 and above. but it happens when my car is slow... when it happens everything shuts down i can't move the stearing, and all the lights turn on.... so before, i used to force it to pull on the side and then start it. when ever i start it, after it has shut down it starts like after 6-7 seconds of my key turned in ignition. which is a long time instead of just turning and starting instantlaly.. it happnes like twice in a day, so now i jus shift the gear in netural and start the car so i don't have to stop. like once it did't even start after 6-7 seconds so i was stuck in the middle of the road and i kept on turning the key in which case it started after 20 seconds. and when the car has started after it has shut down, the rpm needle inflactuates like it goes up and down for a good 2 mins in random intervals. can anyone help me out here? i ocassionally smell gas, and my car does eat alot of gas like 15miles per gallon.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:45 AM
L36

If you smell gas, try to narrow down where its coming from. Engine area or fuel tank. Get under the car and check the fuel piping. As for shutting off, by any chance; when you drive do the brake and abs lights come on together at the same time? Even flash.

Regardless of above, start the car and check the voltage in the battery terminals, should be in the 14.5-14.7V area. If not, you might have a bad ground somewhere (his only applies if brake and ABS lights never come on together on the cluster.) 15mpg is really bad, i get 19 and i do purely city driving. When is the last time you replaced the air filter, spark plugs, check the tire pressure?
Old 11-02-2012, 06:35 AM

first i think u have a 4speed SL are 4speed Se are 5speeds,do u have a battery tie down it could be your battery moving when u slow down and ur teriminals have to be check, terminals could be loose or rusted a reason why it could take a few seconds to turn on or the starter.Does ur car have any other problems that could link to the turn off problem, so if that doesnt work u might need check all the gas stuff fuel pump ,filter.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

my boy had the same problem n it was his crankshaft position sensor.....wen it heats up the sensor doesnt read rite....dats wat starts ur car up...nissans r known for that
Old 11-02-2012, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Max streets
first i think u have a 4speed SL are 4speed Se are 5speeds.
Not quite. Some 04 SL are 5speed.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:16 PM

I had this issue. It was my camshaft position sensor. Make sure you get the codes read at autozone to find out which bank it is. Replacement is very easy to do.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If you smell gas, try to narrow down where its coming from. Engine area or fuel tank. Get under the car and check the fuel piping. As for shutting off, by any chance; when you drive do the brake and abs lights come on together at the same time? Even flash. Hermes kelly 32cm Hermes kelly 35cm Hermes Outlet
Old 11-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I assure you its the camshaft position sensor they usually fail due to excessive heat around the o-ring which causes oil to leak into the sensor. Do yourself a favor and buy only OEM not Autozone or Advance Auto Parts. Down below you will find the link to purchase the sensors. Depending on what code you had pulled from OBDII, its going to be P0340 (camshaft senor bank 1 near the windshield) or P0345 (camshaft senor bank 2 towards the radiator). Do yourself a favor and buy both rather than wait for the other one to fail. They're about $60 bucks ea. If you need anything else shoot me a pm.

http://www.nissanpartsasap.com/nissa...ption=Keyword#
Old 10-18-2013, 11:16 AM

Thinking i may have this issue now. So far it has shut off twice in two weeks while at a stop light. Starts right back up but the last time(today) it took about 4 seconds to start.

Thoughts?
Old 10-18-2013, 10:18 PM

very good possibility... That's how it happened to me....
Old 10-19-2013, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
very good possibility... That's how it happened to me....
Thanks

gonna dive in tomorrow before i get left stranded lol

btw can anyone suggest a good heavy duty floor jack for about a hundred bucks?
Old 10-21-2013, 01:10 PM

I'm having this weird issue for the last few days. Mine is a 2004SE 5SPD Auto with 125Kmiles. It starts fine after parking for a long time (more than a few hours). But it will shut off when the engine is still hot (it starts then will die off). Restart will be OK and the car would drive just fine.
There is no check-engine light. Would this be the CamshaftPositionSensor going bad ?
When the engine is cold, the idle RPM is fluctuating a bit and lower than normal range (600-700RPM ?) and results in some rough idling.

(It's also having a leaky CVBoot and a AC-hose. Will cost me a small fortune soon).
Old 11-19-2013, 09:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2003 nissan Maxima

I have a 2003 Nissan Maxima and I have been having the same problem with it shutting off and you have to try several times to crank it up before it actually starts. The check engine light came on and I took it by advance auto parts to see what the problem was and the code reader said camshaft sensor bank 2. I replaced it on Friday the light went off, and Saturday afternoon the light came back on and said the same thing replace camshaft sensor bank 2. Usually before it shuts off all the hands go up and you feel a jerk and it starts to lose speed . Will I need to replace the Crankshaft also? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Jmax69
I assure you its the camshaft position sensor they usually fail due to excessive heat around the o-ring which causes oil to leak into the sensor. Do yourself a favor and buy only OEM not Autozone or Advance Auto Parts. Down below you will find the link to purchase the sensors. Depending on what code you had pulled from OBDII, its going to be P0340 (camshaft senor bank 1 near the windshield) or P0345 (camshaft senor bank 2 towards the radiator). Do yourself a favor and buy both rather than wait for the other one to fail. They're about $60 bucks ea. If you need anything else shoot me a pm.

http://www.nissanpartsasap.com/nissa...ption=Keyword#
Old 11-19-2013, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by cbasley
Will I need to replace the Crankshaft also? Thanks.
Yes, safer to do so. And the two cam sensors. All oem.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Costee
Yes, safer to do so. And the two cam sensors. All oem.
You can't be cheap on this one. Listen to Costee and get all three and OEM not Autozone or Orileys or anywhere else. If you replaced one from Autozone, take it back after you clean it of course.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:34 AM

I had them check for codes at autozone 2 weeks ago but nothing showed up. It hasnt shut off since my last post but i know its only a matter of time. The best thing to do would be to just go ahead and replace all three but eh..i got bills to pay. How can i get the code to show which one is failing? In other words My boy who works at Nissan usually needs to go a through a few steps to find the exact problem for issues like this. Is there a special code reader or way to do this so i'm not just throwing parts at it? Hope I'm being clear enough lol
Old 11-21-2013, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by smplyamzng
I had them check for codes at autozone 2 weeks ago but nothing showed up. It hasnt shut off since my last post but i know its only a matter of time. The best thing to do would be to just go ahead and replace all three but eh..i got bills to pay. How can i get the code to show which one is failing? In other words My boy who works at Nissan usually needs to go a through a few steps to find the exact problem for issues like this. Is there a special code reader or way to do this so i'm not just throwing parts at it? Hope I'm being clear enough lol
If your boy works at nissan and has already used the Consult reader, then that's the best you are gonna get for code reading on this car. Sometimes the car stores codes in memory, but some scanners can erase that memory. To be honest if that is the route you need to go, just wait until it happens again and go from there. I had the shut off thing happen several times before even getting a code. It sucks, however it is the nature of the beast. Good luck. If you get codes, don't hesitate to post them for assistance.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
If your boy works at nissan and has already used the Consult reader, then that's the best you are gonna get for code reading on this car. Sometimes the car stores codes in memory, but some scanners can erase that memory. To be honest if that is the route you need to go, just wait until it happens again and go from there. I had the shut off thing happen several times before even getting a code. It sucks, however it is the nature of the beast. Good luck. If you get codes, don't hesitate to post them for assistance.
Thanks man thats what i plan to do. Apart of me is also not ruling out the possibility of a failing ignition coil
Old 12-09-2013, 09:48 PM

Update: fix

The issue gradually became worse and worse so i went back to autozone to have the codes checked again. This time it said camshaft sensor bank2. I replaced it with an oem one and the problem is gone
Old 05-22-2014, 07:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Camshaft Sensors

Thanks for the info all. I have an 03 Maxima SE that just started these issues yesterday. You guys saved me a lot of research and time on this. I'll let you know if it was something different.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

06 Maxima SE has the same symptoms but with 1 addition

My 06 Maxima SE suddenly shut off as I turned through a corner. The difference was when I tried to restart it, it would not even turn over. All dash lights were on. After waiting a couple of minutes it did start. Had the codes read and there was only an old cat converter code. Could any of the sensors discussed above cause that symptom?
Old 05-01-2015, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by maxima06ca
My 06 Maxima SE suddenly shut off as I turned through a corner. The difference was when I tried to restart it, it would not even turn over. All dash lights were on. After waiting a couple of minutes it did start. Had the codes read and there was only an old cat converter code. Could any of the sensors discussed above cause that symptom?
When my cam position sensor went out my car shut off while I was driving and it took a few minutes before I could get it to turn over again so I could drive home. I didn't find any codes for them but the shop that did the work found them.

If one of them is bad just replace both.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bank 1 Sensor

My 05 threw a P0340 and P1800 today out of the blue. Freaked me out when my car shut down at 70mph on the Interstate this morning. I had O'Reillys pull the codes. I replaced the sensor and all is good. Dropped the 1800 code as well. I will replace the Bank 2 sensor when able.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:16 AM

So I'm back a year and a half later. Now bank 1 is out and I'm gonna give autozone a shot instead of oem. Should have just replaced both at the same time. Will let you know how it works out
Old 01-05-2016, 03:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

while driving my car also goes off
most times it happens at sudden increase acceleration
I make about 220Miles highway journey every 2weeks but had never had major problem on the way.
I had 159801Miles
no light on the dashboard showing any fault
Old 05-01-2016, 08:58 AM

So I'm back a year and a half later. Now bank 1 is out and I'm gonna give autozone a shot instead of oem. Should have just replaced both at the same time. Will let you know how it works out
Checking in a year later to say that I'm still going strong on the autozone replacement. No need to pay double for the part.

Hope this helps anyone having this problem.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Checking in a year later to say that I'm still going strong on the autozone replacement. No need to pay double for the part.

Hope this helps anyone having this problem.
This is good to know. I have had the P0340 code and stalls happen to me this past week again. This happened in the summer, but went away when I pulled the sensor, cleaned it and reinstalled it.

My wiring clip that attaches to the camshaft position sensor didn't seem to lock into place. Does anyone know if that wiring clip can be ordered separately? If so, does anyone have the part number?

Thanks,
Tony