6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Rear Speaker Replacement Grills?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 03:01 PM

Rear Speaker Replacement Grills?

Okay so I recently just bought a 2006 Maxima in Florida. The only flaw that I noticed is that the back right speaker grill underneath the rear window is VERY weak. Just the slightest touch with your finger pokes a hole straight through it. Now that there are a few holes the plastic pieces that broke off are now sitting on top of the speaker so every time it hits you can hear them rattling around and it's driving me crazy!

I took the entire rear deck off and remove the pieces on top of the speaker but now a few more pieces have fell back on top and it's doing it again.

So my question is...are there any replacement grills that I can buy to use instead because I'm so close to just taking the entire grill off but then it's going to look pretty crappy.

Hopefully someone here can help. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-18-2012, 05:27 PM

Anybody?
Old 12-19-2012, 02:50 AM

What do you mean by grille on the speaker? Gotta pic?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate
What do you mean by grille on the speaker? Gotta pic?
Like the cover over the speaker. Here's a picture of it:
Old 12-19-2012, 08:22 PM
oem ftw!

Yikes. Never seen that happen before, I'm assuming the car was exposed to a lot of direct sunlight down there in FL, but even still, that's a first for me!

I am thinking that your best bet may be to search for some local junkyards. I'd imagine that that grille can pop off somehow, perhaps from the plastic trim, but I can't be certain as I've never tried to remove mine. If not, your only other option may be to replace the entire rear deck cover. Check ebay and also look for local junkyards via www.car-part.com

If you have no luck replacing it, I guess as a last resort you can also consider breaking it all out and getting a cover for the rear deck. Not sure how good it will look and how well the color will match, though...:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Deck-Co...83bfc2&vxp=mtr

Good luck, let us know what you end up doing.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:57 PM

Just try to find new rear deck (junkyards etc.), you even might be lucky to find same color. Also chances are, you will need new push clips, if guys at the junk yard remove the part for you. If they let you do it yourself, remember to squeeze and push out clips first from inside the trunk, then pull on part, slowly, section by section. Part itself is easy to break too, it is made out of some carton.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by CRiME
Yikes. Never seen that happen before, I'm assuming the car was exposed to a lot of direct sunlight down there in FL, but even still, that's a first for me!

I am thinking that your best bet may be to search for some local junkyards. I'd imagine that that grille can pop off somehow, perhaps from the plastic trim, but I can't be certain as I've never tried to remove mine. If not, your only other option may be to replace the entire rear deck cover. Check ebay and also look for local junkyards via www.car-part.com

If you have no luck replacing it, I guess as a last resort you can also consider breaking it all out and getting a cover for the rear deck. Not sure how good it will look and how well the color will match, though...:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Deck-Co...83bfc2&vxp=mtr

Good luck, let us know what you end up doing.
Originally Posted by acercomp71
Just try to find new rear deck (junkyards etc.), you even might be lucky to find same color. Also chances are, you will need new push clips, if guys at the junk yard remove the part for you. If they let you do it yourself, remember to squeeze and push out clips first from inside the trunk, then pull on part, slowly, section by section. Part itself is easy to break too, it is made out of some carton.
Alright, thanks guys! I'll go ahead and start looking around.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:26 PM

Please let me know if you find a replacement grille. It has happened to me too that I had to take them out because it was a eye sore.

Blake 2004 MAXIMA
Old 12-23-2012, 08:12 PM

WHy would you want them? GEt better looking aftermarket speaker grilles. Infinity makes nice ones
Old 12-25-2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
WHy would you want them? GEt better looking aftermarket speaker grilles. Infinity makes nice ones
Well that's what I mean. I don't necessarily want the same ones but I don't know what size to look for and what not. Do you have any links that you could share?
Old 12-29-2012, 04:07 PM

I have the SAME problem as you. I notice your windows do not have tint also. I purchased my maxima with no tint and live in new orleans so yep it caused the grills to get all brittle and deteriorate. I also had that rattling noise. Only thing I did was poke holes everywhere so it wouldnt cause anymore of the grill to fall in and rattle.
I also purchased some 6x9s and the new grill would not fit correctly. So I am going to leave the holes there and put some tint on the back windows.
Unless anyone else has a better idea for this, I am all ears.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by 6thgen
I have the SAME problem as you. I notice your windows do not have tint also. I purchased my maxima with no tint and live in new orleans so yep it caused the grills to get all brittle and deteriorate. I also had that rattling noise. Only thing I did was poke holes everywhere so it wouldnt cause anymore of the grill to fall in and rattle.
I also purchased some 6x9s and the new grill would not fit correctly. So I am going to leave the holes there and put some tint on the back windows.
Unless anyone else has a better idea for this, I am all ears.
How did you remove all the pieces off of the top of the speaker? Did you have to take the whole rear-dash off and remove them or did you just leave them there?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:30 PM

It is a bit difficult to modify the grille's, on the 4th gen at least, because the carpeted part of the deck is cheap particle board that falls apart. Also, as soon as you remove that just once the clips that wedge at the base of the rear windshield never seem to all go back in and it is rattle city. I am thinking about making my own out of 1/4" MDF.

As far as finding some, just look around at various speakers and find a grille that you like and then search for "insert brand here speaker grilles" like "infinity reference speaker grilles".
Old 01-03-2013, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hondarydr
How did you remove all the pieces off of the top of the speaker? Did you have to take the whole rear-dash off and remove them or did you just leave them there?
You mean all the pieces that fell on the speaker causing it to rattle?
If so, I poked holes everywhere and cut some of it off and got a vacuum with a small pipe like adapter and sucked it all out. Yea I know, not the best way but it got all the pieces and I dont have to worry about any more rattle. Although it looks like cr@p. But tint will fix that.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by 6thgen
You mean all the pieces that fell on the speaker causing it to rattle?
If so, I poked holes everywhere and cut some of it off and got a vacuum with a small pipe like adapter and sucked it all out. Yea I know, not the best way but it got all the pieces and I dont have to worry about any more rattle. Although it looks like cr@p. But tint will fix that.
Yeah, that's what I meant. But honestly I may end up doing something similar. I'd rather it look like crap than sound like it.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey buddy

My car before I purchased it was left out in the sun for a long time. The same thing happened to me. I haven't replaced it yet bust best bet is a junk yard.