6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Valve cover gasket repair, 6 times now

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:14 AM

Valve cover gasket repair, 6 times now

In early 2012 I had some timing chain stuff repaired, guide and chain as I recall. By early 2013, no issues, but complaining about a noise, they went back in and replaces some tensioners and sprockets, all should have been done first time in there, but all covered by 3rd party warrantee, so I didn't complain about the 'rework".

Went back a month later, smelling oil, they cleaned the top of motor, oil from last job. I go back, again a few months later, smell never really disappeared, they replace valve cover gasket. That one they also charged the Warrantee for, but again, if their underwriter didn't catch it, not my problem.

Since then I've been back several times, even this last time they replaced the valve covers finally, and of course the blow by is still occurring. I can't see the back cover, but the front cover there's a thin bead of oil on the front lip, but no drips. And on the end passenger side it actually "burped" some air when I pushed on the cover right after I turned the car off; so it's definitely not sealing All bolts were tight. Has anyone been through this kind of runaround? They've had it at least 8 or 9 times, 4 times replacing gasket, 1 time covers and gasket, and now it's back again.

To note, the covers were replaced for cheap, they gave me a great discount, since I was complaining that they could have had all this done while I still had the warrantee, but I'm out of pocket $340 and they still haven't corrected it.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:34 AM

The car is still there...they think it could be a cracked chain cover, of course that should be covered under the workmanship warrantee since that's something that was replaced by them. They haven't gotten inside the motor yet best guess by the discussion we had over the phone, should know more later today.

Again, has anyone ever seen this kind of repeat repair scenario on valve covers leaking?
Old 10-02-2014, 08:48 AM

I went thru this they had to do mine over 3 times It kept leaking over and over. I smelled burning oil it was leaking on the manifold. We kept swearing the mechanic did a botched job but from what it sounds like another design flaw with the 6th gen.

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 10-02-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:13 PM

I've done both valve covers and have no leaks. Unlike you two, I do my work myself and don't let some idiot mess with it 6 or 9 times and still manage to screw the job. Or seriously, your leak probably originates elsewhere after they cracked chain cover or whatever. And believe me, it is really easy to crack it if idiot mechanic forgets to undo 2 bolts from inside oil pan and tries to pry the thing off. Or it could be 4th gen, can't remember if it is the same design on 6th gen.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:16 PM

Yeah, they did mention the chain cover could be cracked...but if all that is under the valve cover, why would the outside cover leak? I've never seen them off, so I just don't know. As far as letting them do it, it was paid for by a 3rd party warrantee on all occasions other then the recent valve cover replacement; and it's a reputable dealership, one would assume I'm in good hands...but who knows at this point.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:36 PM

Maybe they forgot to tighten valve cover bolts or whatever. It is hard to tell without seeing it, just look carefully where leak originates. Or maybe too much oil in crankcase, builds too much pressure and seeps through, check oil level.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:41 PM

acercomp71 Yeah I hear you man think my first issue had to do with the seals I was told the first guy didn't seal them right or something like that. If I wasn't flying a big metal tube thru the sky at 500 mph everyday i'd have time to do it myself.

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 10-02-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:59 AM

Got it back Friday, they had to helicoil two bolt holes, as the 3rd mech to work on this problem is the first one that actually used a torque wrench and discovered he couldn't get these two to hold down.

I'm going to drive it for a couple weeks, make sure it's a solid repair. So far so good, no visible leaks, but I'm still not 100% sure the smell is gone. It's not strong, but it does come back here and there. I figure if it's just old residue few weeks should burn it off.

After that, I'm going to talk to them about some form of credit for the previous job they had me pay for valve covers I most likely didn't need. Bottom line, I have them and I can't give them back, also only paid $340 to have them installed. But I'd think at least one or two synthetic oil changes are due to me for free, or a discount on front strut replacement or something...of course we gotta see if it's finally fixed first.

I just can't believe the previous instances (5 or 6 times) they never used a torque wrench for a valve cover install. And the service advisor was rather nonchalant about it, in that "well they usually just tighten them up and move on"...seriously, engine parts don't get torqued as standard practice? Especially after as many times it came back for the exact same leak??? I tell you, Other then workmanship issues on previous work, I don't think I'll ever go back there again. It sucks, because it was convenient to get to...
Old 10-06-2014, 09:20 AM

The bolt holes are in the head. They didnt use a torque wrench and over-tightened the bolts as a result. Therefore, they stripped out the threads in the head. That is why the last mechanic couldnt tighten the bolts. I would not be too happy about that. If the helicoils dont hold...well I would make sure to get some kind of warranty for the length of ownership due to them messing it up because they didnt want to get the torque specs and grab a torque wrench. An oil change or two does not suffice because you will be stuck replacing the head if the helicoils dont hold.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:53 PM

So who was working on your car and stripped the holes? Which dealership is it?
Old 10-06-2014, 12:59 PM

Yeah trust me, I'm not happy. Been an issue for well over a year, and if it doesn't get resolved, I may end up dumping the car earlier they I ever wanted to...

I'm not ready to sell these guys out yet, but I will go so far as to say it is in central FL.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:03 PM

Bill Ray Nissan in Longwood FL was the dealership. The oil leak is still there, I'm done. Between that and the whine from the transmission at highway speeds that the dealership said they never heard, and couldn't diagnose, I just traded the car in for a loaded Cadenza. After over $13000 in repairs on the Maxima (under 3rd party warrantee) and what I would consider some of the most disappointing service on the car, possibly 25-30 visits to that dealership, at least 10 of them repeat work, I will never go to Bill Ray, and probably never own another Nissan ever again. Goodbye Maxima.org...it was fun while it lasted!