6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Can you remove the evap, and the engine still run?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 02:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can you remove the evap, and the engine still run?

I just finished rebuilding the engine. Its a 3.5l DE engine with 11:1 Weisco forged pistons, aftermarket cams, full length headers, 3" exhaust, no cats, and last a custom made intake manifold for up to a 90mm tb, but running the stocker just to get it going.

I'm trying to clean up my engine bay after I've rebuilt the engine, and I have already gotten rid of the egr valve [Oh, and there are NO emissions testing here in my state].

So I've already gotten rid of the evap on my 02 Tacoma truck as it was so bad I couldn't fill my gas tank, without the gas nozzle clicking on/off every second. I left the electrical solenoids connected, and the truck runs fine.

Now I need to know if I can do this to the Nissan Altima SE-R, and will the engine still run Ok. ..........thanks.

PS, I did a search, and only found people who had problems with the evap asking questions on how to fix it.

And, I do know I will probably get a CEL, but I don't really care as I have a code scanner, an will check periodically for other codes. My Tacoma has had a CEL for ten years now, as I added a turbo charger to the truck, and the second 02 sensor is disconnected.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

so you want to remove the charcoal canister in the back of the car? what would that do? you will get a cel like you mentioned. you should have no drivability issues if you plug off the ports when you remove the vacuum lines going to the evap system.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by nsnrider
so you want to remove the charcoal canister in the back of the car? what would that do? you will get a cel like you mentioned. you should have no drivability issues if you plug off the ports when you remove the vacuum lines going to the evap system.
Basically I'm just cleaning up the engine bay. I did have one of these go bad on my 02 80k mile Tacoma, and it made pumping gas into the tank a real challenge.

Thus far we don't have emissions testing where I live so I don't have to worry about it.

Here is the engine bay so far, I know its not a show car, but I like things to be a little more simple if they can.
Name:  ballbusterintake005_zps31aa5e9b.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  85.0 KB
Old 12-29-2014, 05:18 PM

knock yourself out, usually delete all emissions stuff including the converter since its legal here. often just leave the charcoal canister and thats it, EGR etc goes out the door
Old 12-30-2014, 01:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by chrome91
knock yourself out, usually delete all emissions stuff including the converter since its legal here. often just leave the charcoal canister and thats it, EGR etc goes out the door
Thanks. I did get rid of all of the cats while building my exhaust.

However, while I was trying to get the mig into position to tack weld the passenger side pipe, the muffler fell out of its position, and knocked me out for a few seconds.