6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Timing chain tensionor

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 06:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Timing chain tensionor

Well the time has come and my 2004 has the timing chain tensionor curse! It has gotten very loud these last couple days I dont know if it's from the real cold or what but it's loud and bad noise...has anyone had it done before how much was it and how long did it take? Please anything!
Old 02-12-2015, 09:23 AM
Willing to learn

Hard to believe that a simple search of this well-worn topic did not yield any results.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:59 PM

I did my son’s 06 about a year ago. Took all day Saturday and most of the day on Sunday. Replaced the main timing chain, 3 each guides and tensioner, 2 each camshaft chains, tensioner faces (13097-ZK01C) and water pump. (Note: As noted above I only replaced the camshaft tensioner faces and not the complete camshaft chain tensioner. To remove the camshaft chain tensioner you have remove the valve cover and camshaft. Also the faces are only about $3.00/each and the tensioners are $100.00/each. Normally the tensioners are good and only the faces are bad.
You will need a good set of 6 point combination wrenches, rachets and sockets to do the job. You can remove the harmony balancer bolt with the engine starter if you do not have a 30/60 gal compressor and 700/900 pound impact wrench but be very careful.
I was lucky in that the mechanic that I use for items that I do not have the tools to perform (AC work, transmission flush, etc) has a mechanic that worked for Nissan. He did not want to replace the chains, tensioners and guide but told me how to get everything loose and apart. He even loaned me a special tool (can be purchased from Nissan) to hold the camshafts and chains to remove and torque the bolts.
(Gave him a $100.00 for loaning me the tool and telling me what to look for and be careful in removing.)
Removing the timing chain cover is a real ***** (has sealant around the entire cover). Once is got it a little loose on top I used a plastic cake/pie serving type knife that I purchased a Wal-Mart to separate and not damage the cover. Then comes the removal of sealant from both the cover and engine.
I am 69 years old and have been working on vehicles since my teens and this has to be one of if not the most difficult job that I have ever done due to limited space restrictions.
The price that I got from Nissan varied from $1850 to $2250 depending on what they replaced.
My mechanic who did not want to do the job said that the book noted that the labor hours were 10 hours for the primary chain removal/replacement. The camshaft chains and water pump would be extra.
I purchased all my parts from Southwest Nissan (oemnissanparts.com) for less than $350.00. List price was about $535.00 (discount was about 35%).
Couple of items if you decide to do the job.
  • Look at as many on line video’s as possible. There is one really good one: (2012 nugget parts 1 & 2)
  • Purchase the Nissan recommended Threebond 1217 sealant. Part number 999MP-1217FPP.
  • Do not use Nissan timing cover/oil-pan gasket. Use the above sealant in lieu gasket. The mechanic said that it was almost impossible to eliminate oil leak if you use the gasket.
    Finally, if you are not mechanically incline and do not have the proper tools do not attempt to do this job.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:46 AM

Wingnut, thank you for this very informative post. I have a 07 and after reading I'm not doing this myself. Watched a few YouTube videos but they make it look easier than it really is.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had a Nissan tech do it (who happens to work on the side at home). Lucky for me, he replaced all that with dealer/factory parts for $800...though he did keep the car for nearly 10 days. He told me it was a real pain in the a** job, but I saved a lot of money as the stealership here wanted $2500 for the job.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by pac_4_ever
I had a Nissan tech do it (who happens to work on the side at home). Lucky for me, he replaced all that with dealer/factory parts for $800...though he did keep the car for nearly 10 days. He told me it was a real pain in the a** job, but I saved a lot of money as the stealership here wanted $2500 for the job.
need to get my done too... where is your mechanic/off topic, any tips on replacing the clutch?
Old 02-26-2015, 12:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by oldngivout
Hard to believe that a simple search of this well-worn topic did not yield any results.
Don't be a **** man. If you have info on the topic help him out. Instead of being a ****. OP search Google.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BLCKMAX
need to get my done too... where is your mechanic/off topic, any tips on replacing the clutch?
I am up in Canada actually so I doubt I would be able to help you out with a guy who can do the job. Good luck though, lots of them have been done so I am sure you can find someone willing to do it at a reasonable price.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

right, definitely way too far
car has 206k 6 speed! figure if it'd last me another year would be great. I get it routinely serviced at the stealership. (oil change etc) don't want to shell 1600. Cold winter in NYC, I hear it more now. Question is this... what happens to the engine??? Figure another 20K would last through?

Really want to know what is the worst case case scenario here

Originally Posted by pac_4_ever
I am up in Canada actually so I doubt I would be able to help you out with a guy who can do the job. Good luck though, lots of them have been done so I am sure you can find someone willing to do it at a reasonable price.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BLCKMAX
right, definitely way too far
car has 206k 6 speed! figure if it'd last me another year would be great. I get it routinely serviced at the stealership. (oil change etc) don't want to shell 1600. Cold winter in NYC, I hear it more now. Question is this... what happens to the engine??? Figure another 20K would last through?

Really want to know what is the worst case case scenario here
worst case scenario? well the timing chain has slack because one or more of your shoes/guides are worn and also your tensioner itself could be broken or faulty. with slack in the chain you run the risk of your chain either breaking, or catching something else and breaking. then you are pretty much fu***d with pistons and heads crashing in to one another. I don't know much about the mechanics of an engine, but I would say the above is a pretty good guess. New oil changes will help reduce the sound but that is really only masking the problem.