6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New to me 05'. Looking for recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 07:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New to me 05'. Looking for recommendations.

Hey guys.

New here and I'm looking for some information on what I should go over when the car arrives tomorrow.

For what I know so far, because my girlfriend isn't very good at descriptions, It's a 6 speed, Heated and power "everything". Has "the super bright headlights".

From reading a little online, it sounds like a SE with the Driver Preferred Package|SE AT.

So my question is, what should I prepare to go over on the car? I don't know the mileage but if its over 100k I'll be changing the plugs. I read how intimidating that job is, but I'm not going to pay $300 to do it.

Oil change, new air filter.

I read about front floor pan rust, being in new England ill pull the carpet. Would it be wise if there is signs of rust to clean it up and rhinoline the interior under the carpet? (I built a big wrangler and I did the same to its interior)

I'll quite possibly be looking for a fullsized spare, my jeep has it so should the car.

Any other tips or recommendations are appreciated.

ps: is running 93 octane gas highly recommended?

Edit: If I were to get the computer scanned at the shop would it potentially tell me of anything that my fail soon? a sensor or such?
Old 09-02-2015, 01:51 PM

1st, be glad that you have 6 speed manual in lieu of 5 speed auto.
Changing the spark plugs is not that bad. Look at several on-line video's. Be sure and check the value cover gaskets for leaks. If you have over a 100K they are probably leaking. Change when you change the plugs. You really need compressed air or vacuum to get the debris out of the plug holes before you remove the plugs. If not the debris is going to fall into the cylinders. Be sure and change your oil regularly (ever 3000 to 3750 miles) because the timing chain tensioner is hydraulically powered by engine oil. Premium fuel is recommended but I do know of anyone who uses premium. Vehicle will run just fine on regular. Check the cabin air filter and see if it has been changed. Check the lower control arm bushing and lower ball joint. Check haft axle inner and outer boots. Check motor mounts. At 100k they are probably bad and they are expensive. Normally front, rear and right are the ones that fail.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Gaskets I can fix.

Girl says it needs a new pass. wheel bearing which I think is a bolt on job\\

ill check valve gaskets when I do plugs.

Car and pics should be here tomorrow.