6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Not a Maxima...but

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 10:28 AM

Not a Maxima...but

I've been a regular on the 4th gen forum for a while and had to get a 08 Quest..as it was hard to stuff everyone in a maxima. While I decided to keep the Maxima (can't imagine getting rid of it) I'm needing some advice on this Quest.
I realize that from what I can tell, Maximas and Quests pretty well share the same engine, and since there really isn't an active Quest forum out there, I'd come here.
First off, is it normal, in 96F heat, for the temp gauge to rise to half way while idling with the A/C on? It usually sits just below half, and drops back to that after driving around.
My maximas never really had a temp gauge rise on me, no matter how long the idle..
Also, is it normal for the timing chain to rattle a few seconds on startup? Think it'll be okay until February?
After the first start of the day it usually doesn't rattle anymore and stays really quiet.
Also..it's giving a code P420, catalyst efficiency below threshold? Not sure what that is..
Thanks for any info that can be provided!

Last edited by NissanNismoZ; 09-09-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by NissanNismoZ
First off, is it normal, in 96F heat, for the temp gauge to rise to half way while idling with the A/C on? It usually sits just below half, and drops back to that after driving around.
I don't have any experience with the Quest. It could be possible that it is normal. Maybe the amount of grille opening isn't as big as a Maxima which would mean less air gets through the radiator.

Two things to check -
1 - When the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap and check how full the radiator is. It should be 100% full, no air space.
2 - Start the engine and turn on the air conditioner and look at the radiator cooling fans. Both fans should be running

Also, is it normal for the timing chain to rattle a few seconds on startup? Think it'll be okay until February?
After the first start of the day it usually doesn't rattle anymore and stays really quiet.
This isn't my area of expertise, but in the 5th gen forum, the 3.5 engine seems to do this a lot. The timing chain tensioners get blamed for this. Some people replace them, others ignore it. Search the 5th gen forum for timing chain rattle.

Also..it's giving a code P420, catalyst efficiency below threshold? Not sure what that is.
P0420 is the bank 1 pre-cat plugging up. Bank 1 is the side of the engine next to the firewall if you have front wheel drive. If you have rear wheel drive, bank 1 is the passenger side.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
If you have rear wheel drive, bank 1 is the passenger side.
Would that be a general rule? I know that in the Infiniti M35 B1 is the passenger side, but in M45 B1 is the driver side. Both of course RWD.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:41 PM

I assumed that Nissan was consistent, but it looks like I am wrong.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:30 AM
Willing to learn

On all the Nissan RWD V6 engines, Bank 1 is the passenger side.
Bank 1 on the Nissan V8 is the driver side.

Why they chose this, who knows.