6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Aftermarket Headunit Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 06:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Aftermarket Headunit Problems

I recently had an alpine deck installed with the metra wire harness, and it sounds absolutely terrible and doesn't go very loud. I noticed the rear speakers also don't work. I was told I needed to buy the PAC roem-nis2. So I did. I was just wondering if this will replace the metra kit, or do I just add it on?
Old 09-27-2015, 01:47 PM

For the most part, yes. The ROEM NIS-2 replaces the kit. If the kit included a plastic trim piece for around the radio, you still use that.

The PAC unit goes in between the radio and the Nissan wire harness and replaces the wires in the Metra kit. You still need an antenna adapter.

Here is a photo from my 2000 with the ROEM NIS-2:

Name:  00max%20radio%20removed%202_zpscyrpznbv.jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  112.3 KB
Old 09-27-2015, 03:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik
For the most part, yes. The ROEM NIS-2 replaces the kit. If the kit included a plastic trim piece for around the radio, you still use that.

The PAC unit goes in between the radio and the Nissan wire harness and replaces the wires in the Metra kit. You still need an antenna adapter.

Here is a photo from my 2000 with the ROEM NIS-2:

So will I need to rewire everything? sorry i'm a noob at h/u installs.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:58 AM

I wouldn't say that you have to re-wire "everything. The PAC ROEM NIS-2 line level adapter goes in place of the Metra wire harness adapters.

One of the big differences is that the Bose does not send a powerful of a signal to the speakers. Because of that, the speaker system is a special design. The industry standard after market radios (all brands, such as your Alpine) will over-power the speakers and distort the sound unless you use a line level adapter in between the replacement head unit and the Bose speakers.

The blue thing at the top of the photo that I posted earlier is a PAC ROEM NIS-2 line level adapter.

The one thing that scares away people from doing the job themselves is that you have to solder wires together. Soldering is not that hard, it is the fear of the unknown that makes people back off.

If you don't want to do soldering, you have options.

1) take the car to a place that installs car stereos and have them do the installation.

2) Find someone that will solder the wires for you. Since this is not done in the car, so you could take the the wires somewhere.

Last edited by DennisMik; 09-28-2015 at 08:00 AM.