6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Rough start Rpms are low and it does. Help

Old 12-01-2016, 09:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rough start Rpms are low and it does. Help

I have a 2008 Nissan Maxima with 116k. It started About a month ago it was having trouble starting in the mornings. Took it to the shop they replaced the spark plugs it ran great for a few days than I ran a few errands and I went in somewhere and came out 5 min later it would not crank. It would start rough and shake the whole car and die. Had to get it towed that evening: a few hours later it cranked up fine. I had a friend clean the throttle body. It started working again great for over a wk. than the same thing. Cranked tons were low and it died than it left me stranded again. Took it to the shop he reprogrammed the throttle due to the rpm were all over the place. That was over a wk ago. It was running fine and today it would start and run rough and die. I need advice. any ideas. Please help. One minute it will be fine and the next it won't start and running weird. Once I get it started it seems to run fine. The other thing u noticed today was when I hit the gas pedal to get it going I heard a water noise on the passenger side I never noticed that before.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:21 PM

Is the SES light on? If yes, run a scan and post the codes. As for the water noise, there is air in your cooling system. Bleed the radiator.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The service engine soon light did come one after my friend cleaned the throttle body but it was not till days later. And after my technician reprogrammed it it went away I had auto zone plug it in and the code was p0507 which says the idle is to high
Old 12-05-2016, 01:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same issue on 2007

I am also looking for an answer. It's very random. Happened 4-5 times over last 3 months. Conditions - I turn the car off, go to a store, come back 20-30 mins later, start it up - car does the same. Shakes, rough idle, going to die. I usually save it by stepping on gas slowly and keeping RPM above 3000 for a min or two. Then it stabilizes and I drive.
The 30-40 mins of engine cooling seems to be the factor. If i come back and start the car in 5-10 mins - no issue. If car sits with engine off longer (overnight) - then also starts up fine in the morning. Scanned it for codes - nothing. Didn't do any other troubleshooting yet.

Search this Thread