6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

04 Maxima VQ35DE Rear Upper Engine Noise Help??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 03:52 AM

04 Maxima VQ35DE Rear Upper Engine Noise Help??

I have a 2004 Maxima SE that I just replaced the timing chain, guides and tensioners on. After it was all back together and running, I had it idling in the shop for roughly 30 minutes while I was putting the car back together. At that point I suddenly noticed a strange knock or tick, which then escalated into almost a machine gun sound. This sound is coming from the back of the motor (of course!), and I fear that I may have a stuck lifter. I recorded the video at the attached link and uploaded it to YouTube. Can you guys please review and offer an opinion based on your own experience?

Thanks!
Jordan
Old 12-20-2016, 09:32 AM

I would also like to mention that I have been getting the P1800 code that corresponds to the VCT malfunction on and off for a while prior to the timing chain repair. Once the motor started making the rattle/knock after the timing replacement, I pulled the codes and found that the P1800 had returned, and there was also a bank lean code (sorry, I did not grab the number). Is there any chance that the VCT malfunction could be causing this issue?
Old 01-12-2017, 10:10 AM

I just wanted to close the loop on this thread and say that the issue turned out to be the water pump. The narrow teeth on the pump closest to the motor were gone, and the teeth opposite were gnarled up. New pump has been installed and all is well!