6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

A/C compressor clutch bearing seized

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 03:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A/C compressor clutch bearing seized

I had been hearing the sound of a worn out bearing for the last few weeks. I did a long drive in my car and I could tell it was getting worse. The next morning after I got home I started up the car and the sound suddenly went away and the charge light came on. I shut off the engine and saw the drive belt laying underneath the car, smoldering.

A quick check of the alternator and its spin freely as did the newly replaced idler pulley. Then I went under the car and grab the air conditioner compressor pulley and it was frozen solid.

I believe it is just a bearing for the pulley so has anyone replace this before?
Old 12-28-2016, 01:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ive done a bit of research as to how to proceed. When the pulley bearing goes, it can fry the AC clutch and/or the coil behind the pulley. I easily removed the 10mm bolt that holds the clutch on, but the clutch seemed to be on there pretty good. Ill try to find time today to pry off the clutch. After that there is a snap ring that holds the pulley on and then the pulley comes off, either by prying or with a puller. I have read that its difficult to find a puller that fits, and that modifications may be necessary to get one to fit. After the pulley is off, Ill check the condition of the coil. I could get a bearing for $30 or so, or the whole pulley assembly from the stealership for $82, in stock. I probably should get a clutch too but Ill see how everything looks once I open 'er up. Ill keep you all posted.