4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

STARTER RELAY QUESTION

Old 05-26-2009, 07:14 PM

STARTER RELAY QUESTION

I've posted about my prob. already and im pretty sure my starter relay is going out. My question is...... Where in the world do you find one? I've found many other relays but none for the starter. They have those universal type at the parts stores, but im not really sure what I can use. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 05-26-2009, 07:26 PM
No more Maximas...

Are you referring to the inhibitor relay or security relay? Basically, the grey one in front of the battery, or the black one in the box on the right?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:45 PM

I'm refering to the one in the box on the right. Actually I did not think of the inhibitor relay, where is it exactly? Would it cause a "click" or no start at all when the key is turned? That's what mine's been doing for quite a while.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:48 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by WhiteMaxima9600
I'm refering to the one in the box on the right. Actually I did not think of the inhibitor relay, where is it exactly? Would it cause a "click" or no start at all when the key is turned? That's what mine's been doing for quite a while.
Inhibit relay is in front of the battery:

You likely wouldn't hear it click at all, not from inside the car. Same with the security relay.

I would imagine you've got some bad/corroded connections to the starter if you're occasionally getting clicks, or more likely a bad solenoid.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:08 PM

Well, the starter has been replaced once. I thought it might be the solenoid but I wanted to try the relays first. It mostly just makes a audible "click" the first time you turn the key after that does nothing. Half the time it fires right up, the other times you have to turn the key 2-10 times before it kicks the starter in.

I did replace both terminals and cleaned the all starter connections but it did not make a diff.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:10 PM
No more Maximas...

Well, the starter has been replaced once. I thought it might be the solenoid but I wanted to try the relays first. It mostly just makes a audible "click" the first time you turn the key after that does nothing. Half the time it fires right up, the other times you have to turn the key 2-10 times before it kicks the starter in.

I did replace both terminals and cleaned the all starter connections but it did not make a diff.
Ever replaced the ignition switch?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:14 PM

No i have not, I considered that as a culprit but since I was at least getting "clicks" I figured the power was getting through the switch.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:16 PM
No more Maximas...

No i have not, I considered that as a culprit but since I was at least getting "clicks" I figured the power was getting through the switch.
If you can get a multimeter out when it's doing the no start thing, you could try to rule out components one by one.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:22 PM

Funny thing as long as I keep the multimeter it will never do it. Do you know where I can find those relays at??
Old 05-26-2009, 09:27 PM
No more Maximas...

Funny thing as long as I keep the multimeter it will never do it. Do you know where I can find those relays at??
Personally I would just go to a junkyard, all you really have to do is bring a battery, some wire, and a multimeter to test them (IIRC a 9v battery should trip them no problem). As long as it's the same color, you can grab a relay from pretty much any Nissan.

That, or the classifieds here. I have no doubt any of the people who part out cars regularly (Teaner, Maxima_Joe, etc) have a big stash of them.

Auto parts stores should be able to special order them.

FWIW, should you want to buy them brand new...
Inhibitor relay:
25230-C9962, $21.96 each at Courtesy

The security relay has many different options, so can't give you an exact part number on that one.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:30 PM

ok, thanks pmohr. You've been most helpful.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What is this security relay yall are refering to ? Ive R&R inhibit relay ,no help, ign switch at steering colum, no help . starting to suspect nuetral safty switch , am i missing a relay maybe?
Old 05-28-2009, 11:51 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by pepylepew1961
What is this security relay yall are refering to ? Ive R&R inhibit relay ,no help, ign switch at steering colum, no help . starting to suspect nuetral safty switch , am i missing a relay maybe?
If you're going to ask for help about your issue, it would help you out a lot to do it all in one place.

Preferably the correct place, the newbie thread.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:47 PM

´96 Maxima 3.0 QX (V6 24V Automatic) doesn´t crank at all. You turn the key and the ignition relay (on the fuse panel) can be heard. If you open the hood and turn the key I think you hear the INHIBIT Relay (before I thought it was the fuel pump relay).

I don´t think the problem is on the ignition switch because every single time I turn the key I hear the ignition relay. Everything else looks like to work fine (radio, fan, lights, ...) but the starter doesn´t want to kick. I am pretty sure the battery is fine and the A/Theft light also blinks as usual. The lights on the console are normal (airbag light goes off after some seconds, and the rest stays including the “engine check” light). I doubt it is the starter because I never had a problem with it before (always starts easily).

I had some problems with the grounding in the past but I do not think it is that, maybe I am wrong. I hope it is the inhibit relay but I do not know how to test it; with a multimeter maybe?, how?. Could it also be the fuel pump relay?, where is it located?.

Any ideas?, I am puzzled and I really need the car!. Thank you very much.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:50 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by RUDDER
´96 Maxima 3.0 QX (V6 24V Auto) doesn´t crank at all.You turn the key and the hear ignition relay (on the fuse panel) can be heard. If you open the hood and turn the key I think you hear the INHIBIT Relay (before I thought it was the fuel pump relay).
I don´t think the problem is on the ignition switch because every single time I turn the key I hear the ignition relay. Everything else looks like to work fine (radio, fan, lights, ...) but the starter doesn´t want to kick. I am pretty sure the battery is fine and the A/Theft light also blinks as usual. The lights on the console are normal (airbag light goes off after some seconds, and the rest stays including the “engine check” light). I doubt it is the starter because I never had a problem with it before (always starts easily).I had some problems with the grounding in the past but I do not think it is that, maybe I am wrong. I hope it is the inhibit relay but I do not know how to test it; with a multimeter maybe?, how?. Could it also be the fuel pump relay?, where is it located?.Any ideas?, I am puzzled and I really need the car!. Thank you very much.
First, black text on a dark background...

Second, have you tried cranking in any gear position other than Park or Neutral? Wiggled the gearshift around in Park?

Have you tried bypassing the inhibitor relay? Checked all fuses?
Old 05-31-2009, 09:18 PM

I tried to crank on all gears and also wiggled the gearshift and the car itself. Do you think can be a sensor or the neutral switch?

I checked all the fuses and I was thinking on bypassing the relay but I do not know what the inhibitor relay is for and what could be damaged if bypassing it. Should I bypass it then without any caution?
Old 05-31-2009, 09:20 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by RUDDER
I tried to crank on all gears and also wiggled the gearshift and the car itself. Do you think can be a sensor or the neutral switch?

I checked all the fuses and I was thinking on bypassing the relay but I do not know what the inhibitor relay is for and what could be damaged if bypassing it. Should I bypass it then without any caution?
Let's keep this to the newbie thread, better than conversing across multiple threads.