5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Car doesnt shift out of first gear. 2 tranny's, same problem

Old 09-05-2009, 04:41 AM

UPDATE!!!!! WTF!!!Car doesnt shift out of first gear. 2 tranny's, same problem

So i had my transmission swapped out with a used one because my 3rd gear went out.

I had the tranny swapped, and after the tranny was swapped, the car doesnt wanna shift outta first gear unless i play with the throttle for the longest time and play with the automatic shifter...

I take it back to the Mech, and they declare its a bad tranny... the codes that came up was revolutionary speed sensor and i swapped it and no dice...

They put another tranny, a different year, different mileage.. AND THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!!

the CEL hasn't come on yet, so i gotta putt-putt around until it does...

The car down shifts no problem, when coming to a stop.. the car switches gears to a stop no problem...While in gear, the tranny doesnt slip, it just doesnt wanna shift outta first!!!

Please tell me how does 2 tranny's do the same exact same thing.. Anything is possible.. but that is highly unlikely.

I'd hate to take it to nissan, and i since the book said to check the TPS, i found it was in the throttle body which i would then have to replace...

Before i take it to Nissan and get raped for 140 bucks for a diagnostic, Does anyone have any i deas? Has anyone done a tranny swap on an Auto on this car? is there a procedure or something that were missing here???

FUSTRATING!!!

Last edited by MidN1te; 09-07-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: NEW INFORMATION! UPDATE!!
Old 09-05-2009, 07:25 AM
03 Maxima, 6spd

Originally Posted by MidN1te
I'd hate to take it to nissan, and i since the book said to check the TPS, i found it was in the throttle body which i would then have to replace...
Not sure if it's of any help, but my friend was experiencing a similar symptom (staying way too long in first gear) on his civic, and it turned out to be the TPS.

Would you really have to replace the whole throttle body to replace the TPS? Isn't there a way to check it with a multimeter?

Btw, just because there is no SES light on, doesn't mean there is no codes. I think some codes can be silent.

My first guess would have been that they messed up something during the tranny swap.

Anyways, good luck!
Old 09-05-2009, 08:10 AM

Yea i was thinking they mightve did something wrong...

they replaced the tranny and it STILL did the same thing... I really think it has to do something with the sensor...

Yea i think the whole throttle body needs to be replaced but not sure...

can anyone confirm?
Old 09-05-2009, 08:12 AM

but what also gets me is that, the car was fine just, a bad 3rd gear...then somehow right after the swap.......it doesnt wanna shift outta first and onto other gears?

not sure how the tps could be effected...
Old 09-05-2009, 08:59 AM
MaXXiN

TPS can be replaced without changing the whole throttle body...I changed mine paid 30 for the sensor. See if anyone is parting out a car and you can pick it up.

It seems kind of weird though 2 tranny's and the same problem. What kind of warranty did they give on the labor?
Old 09-05-2009, 10:17 AM

so the TPS is INSIDE the throttle body?

The problem was the Parts had the warranty.. not the labor. i got the tranny used, then they warrantied the tranny... so when when it wasnt shifting, i told them and they sent another tranny... had that swapped.. and same problem...

that's what gets me... two tranny's? exact same problem? i mean i understand anything is possible but cmon now... this is'nt that common.

i looked for a picture and i can't find a pic of the TPS. do you know of a link or picture? also, once you replace it? doesnt the relearn steps have to be done?

Thanks for the help btw.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:46 PM

Old 09-05-2009, 04:19 PM

WOW!!! thanks!!!!

Ok... so does the tps come OFF of the Electronic Throttle Control Actuator? or if i replace the ETCA, the TPS will change with it?

So i can unplug the harness and the TPS is right there?
Old 09-06-2009, 05:15 AM

I guess another question is........well first when i do a search and click on links.. its the same one about OFF TOPIC.. not sure why..

Anyways....Is this just unbolt and bolt on? I read something about removing the TB and causing some plate to be moved and screwing up the idle or something afterwards...

Can i just remove it and bolt on the new TPS and it work just fine? or do i have to do the IDLE RELEARN procedure...or is it just plug n play and go?
Old 09-07-2009, 06:21 PM

UPDATE!!!

YOU... ARE NOT.. GONNA BELIEVE THIS!!

I took the car to my buddie's dad... a master mechanic...No check engine light has been coming up since i've had the car, and I haven't driven her until today just to go his house..

He has one of those $10k Snap on scanner things. He hooked up it.. fixed my idling issue i had, THEN came up with the code P1574. Speed sensor..

Ok? speed sensor... it said it had a deference... He asked me if he could look at the 2 tranny's in the back of my trunk... i showed him the sensors on there. He said... they are identical. i'm like.. yeah?

and he just stared at me waiting for my light bulb to come on... old man just standing there with a grin..

i'm like... youuuuuu dont think... they swapped the clips do you? he was like.. go get my jack...

jacked up... he said now swap them...

and guess what...........................That was the problem

I spent alllllllllllllllllllll that extra money, and time... have 2 tranny's sitting in my trunk because SOMEONE that installed the tranny's at the shop plugged up the wires wrong... dont you think they should've been marked? and if they double checked over and over like they said they did... that they wouldve caught it? hell it crossed my mind, but i gave the benefit of the doubt... couldnt think they would've done that by accident..

So the tranny's that are in my trunk... one with 5k miles on it.. perfectly working condition.. my original one next to it... are just sitting there.. and the tranny in the car is another used one with 70Kmiles... that thing.. shifts like BUTTER.. perfectly and crisp every single time...

I'm mad but happy.................and mad again...

i'm not sure how to handle this when i go there to them... i paid even though they told me it was the tranny... and i argued saying it should be a sensor, not a tranny... in good faith i hope he gives me the money back for the 2nd tranny... i hope..

Thoughts?
Old 09-08-2009, 12:36 AM

that sucks
wonder how much to swap a tranny.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:47 AM

They Charged me 550 each time... that was out the door including tax and new tranny fluid..

I'm gonna go there after work today... i'm hoping to keep my cool...
Old 05-28-2018, 01:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can u post a pic of the plug u mentioned in your description