5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

02-03 Bose 6CD changer Audio cutout fix!!

Old 11-12-2005, 12:20 PM

02-03 Bose 6CD changer Audio cutout fix!!

Here is a way to fix your Audio from cutting in and out (or if you have none at all). The solution is most likely not permanent but it should buy you at least a year or 2.

Lots of pictures and a step by step walkthrough can be found here

http://www.yourasic.com/Maxima_02-03...dio_repair.pdf

e-mail any questions.

Regards
Chris
Old 11-12-2005, 12:32 PM
Cletus

sweet!! im going to try that.

i noticed something funny though..it says to make sure all CDs are removed but the picture on page 4 cleary shows CDs.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:00 PM

im lookin to buy another cd player like that.. i have one but my screen stopped workin
Old 11-12-2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
sweet!! im going to try that.

i noticed something funny though..it says to make sure all CDs are removed but the picture on page 4 cleary shows CDs.
Yes that was my mistake when i was doing someone elses unit (where the pics came from). ended up having to rebuild it enough to plug it back in and remove the cds.

But looking at the writeup again i dont see any cds. where did you see one?

It might not be a big deal to leave them in. it just seems like a better idea to take them out
Old 11-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

excellent!!!

I've been looking for instructions on how to fix this.

thanks
Old 11-13-2005, 03:21 AM

Excellent write-up, Thanks.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:17 AM

nice write up, now i dont have to put in blose #5
Old 11-13-2005, 08:55 PM

hey, anyone know how to bring the light and numbers back to the screen i knocked it a littler to hard the other day and buy buy went all the lettering on the screen!
Old 11-14-2005, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by MaxgtrBlue
hey, anyone know how to bring the light and numbers back to the screen i knocked it a littler to hard the other day and buy buy went all the lettering on the screen!
If you can still control the unit then this prob wont work but you could try it anyways. Just follow the writeup to the point where you pull off the faceplate. perhaps the connector became unseated. If that does not work chances are your face portion is damaged somehow.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:35 AM

Nice! about 6 months ago I took my HU apart to try and find the problem. I found nothing, But after reasembling it I have no longer had any problems. I guess I got lucky when I removed that ribbon and reinstalled it. Good to know if I have to do it again I now will know what to look for.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:09 AM

i had to tear mine apart about 6 times before I found the real problem. each time i went farther and farther. but kind of like what you mentioned, each time i took it apart it worked great for a few days or weeks, then it would act up again.
I didnt post this untill I was sure this would work for longer then that. Mine has been going strong for just over 3 months now
Old 11-15-2005, 04:47 PM

Ya mine has been good for 6 months but I just got lucky
Old 05-30-2006, 06:42 PM

Wow! That's one detailed write up. I'd never try that, simply because I'd puncture one of the CD liquid filled shocks or lose a screw. All to put a ribbon cable half-way in...but if it falls out I've got to play Operation (by Matel) on the CD player all over again.

Isn't it possible to send the unit to Bose for replacement for a fee?
Old 05-30-2006, 07:05 PM

Many thanks for the great write-up. I finally fixed mine about 2 weeks ago. Probably the biggest complaint about my Max was the 6 disk cutting out. The write up is very detailed and made me not want to do it initially, but once I dove in it was really simple and probably only took a little over 2 hours. The liquid filled shocks are a lot tougher than one might think.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:54 AM

Hah! Figures...my Max is scheduled to go into the shop tomorrow to have this exact problem looked at. I found the TSB for this, but not a do-it-yourself guide. Ah well, it's warranty work so whatever.

Nice quality guide, though. Wish they all were that good.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by jphoto
Hah! Figures...my Max is scheduled to go into the shop tomorrow to have this exact problem looked at. I found the TSB for this, but not a do-it-yourself guide. Ah well, it's warranty work so whatever.

Nice quality guide, though. Wish they all were that good.
Just out of curiosity, how can you get warranty work on your 2002? Isn't your 3 year/36k up?
Old 05-31-2006, 07:56 PM

I bought mine used with an additional 3/60k warranty that I'm still within.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by jphoto
I bought mine used with an additional 3/60k warranty that I'm still within.

Nice. Wish I could get mine covered under warranty.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:39 AM

There's a good chance that ribbon cable is entirely replaceable. An electronics repair place may be able to identify it as a fairly standard part (possibly). Then it's a DIY job with the nice guide provided above.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:00 AM

I have a similar problem, on my car the left speakers come on and off. Do you guys think that is also caused by the ribbon cable?
Thanks
Old 06-09-2006, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by hehehh
I have a similar problem, on my car the left speakers come on and off. Do you guys think that is also caused by the ribbon cable?
Thanks
i had that same problem, but i took it into the Nissan Dealership and they fixed it for me for free!
Old 06-09-2006, 11:56 AM

I had the same symptons hehehh, I did this fix, but I also added some hot glue and electrical tape to the ribbon cable once I re-connected as the instructions stated. If you have any questions on the process, let me know.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:17 AM

Thanks,
I hope to find some time tomorrow and take it apart.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:37 PM

Well, it took me some time to get to the cable as 4 of the 8 screws holding the HU to the bracket were stuck and I had to drill through them, but now all speakers are playing and the sound is great again.
Thanks
Old 06-23-2006, 07:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Kinda unrelated but...

Hi Maxima Forum guys

this is kinda unrelated but was the most recent Bose audio post I could find to reply to..

I have just replaced my 2002 Bose head unit with a 2001 head unit. I have a 2002 SE...

I'm experiencing a reallly strange problem that I'm wondering if anyone has ever encountered with a similar downgrade in the year of the stereo.

When I step on the gas the stereo goes to maximum volume and any time I'm accellerating it maintains maximum volume. As a matter of a fact the only time the volume doesn't raise to the max is when the car is idling... The second I start to hit the gas pedal and the car sets off in motion the volume raises to the Max and does not let me turn it down. If I turn it down but the car is in motion it raises right back up again.

I'm not an expert in Maxima stereo but could this have something to do with the speed sensitive volume adjust in the 2002 not being compatible with the 2001 head unit?

Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the speed adjust volume? Or has anyone experienced a similar problem before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Gerald
Old 06-23-2006, 08:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

OR....

Does anyone have the harness pin-out? Usually there is a pair of cables for "Speed Pulse" that the stereo uses to adjust for speed sensitive features.

I would think a detailed pinout of the harness would be readily available but I can't find one in the search. Does anyone have this ? Please ?!

Originally Posted by GeraldSnM
Hi Maxima Forum guys

this is kinda unrelated but was the most recent Bose audio post I could find to reply to..

I have just replaced my 2002 Bose head unit with a 2001 head unit. I have a 2002 SE...

I'm experiencing a reallly strange problem that I'm wondering if anyone has ever encountered with a similar downgrade in the year of the stereo.

When I step on the gas the stereo goes to maximum volume and any time I'm accellerating it maintains maximum volume. As a matter of a fact the only time the volume doesn't raise to the max is when the car is idling... The second I start to hit the gas pedal and the car sets off in motion the volume raises to the Max and does not let me turn it down. If I turn it down but the car is in motion it raises right back up again.

I'm not an expert in Maxima stereo but could this have something to do with the speed sensitive volume adjust in the 2002 not being compatible with the 2001 head unit?

Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the speed adjust volume? Or has anyone experienced a similar problem before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Gerald
Old 07-22-2006, 04:16 AM

Has anyone tried this fix and put a thin bead of RTV or silicon along the interface of the ribbon and the connector? Figure this would hold it in place a little better, and the goop is thick enough so it wouldn't creep into the contact area. Just a thought. I'm an electronics packaging engineer, so this is a fun little approach, now that I know the problem!
Old 07-22-2006, 09:36 PM

From what I've read and seen, this does not appear to be an issue with the cable slipping. The cable simply gives way where the contacts are pushing on it. The issue is resolved by reseating the cable to a spot where the cable is still flat. I suppose it may not be a bad idea to have something help hold the cable in place, but after clipping mine back in on the "fresh" part of the cable it seemed to be holding nice and tight.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:58 AM

"This Account is Temporarily Unavailable" .. can someone post an attachment or host it somewhere if they still have the file?
Old 07-28-2006, 08:25 AM

I'll leave this up for a couple days.

http://home.comcast.net/~drwutwo/Max...dio_repair.pdf
Old 07-28-2006, 09:19 PM

thanks, good info
Old 08-14-2006, 08:39 AM

I did this late last week and it works GREAT. Thanks for posting this! There is one thing I would like to add for anyone else who is planning on doing this. When Reinstalling the rubber mounts, I noticed it's a real PITA getting the CD player into the little hole. I mixed soap and warm water and applied it to the mount using a Q-tip being very carefull not to get it anywhere but the mount. This made it much easier to reinstall properly.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by ckohl23
"This Account is Temporarily Unavailable" .. can someone post an attachment or host it somewhere if they still have the file?
Sorry I slipped on my hosting bill, it should be back up now.

Originally Posted by zagzig
From what I've read and seen, this does not appear to be an issue with the cable slipping. The cable simply gives way where the contacts are pushing on it. The issue is resolved by reseating the cable to a spot where the cable is still flat. I suppose it may not be a bad idea to have something help hold the cable in place, but after clipping mine back in on the "fresh" part of the cable it seemed to be holding nice and tight.
zagzig, you are correct, taping or gluing the latch down will only prevent you from making an easy repair if it ever needs to be adjusted again. The issue is that the flex cable is not ridgid enough to maintain it proper shape in the rough environment that is your dash. The only improvement that I would try (if my HU ever starts to cut out again) is to add a piece of ultra thin plastic to the non-conductive side of the ribbon. This would add strength to the cable and possibly prevent future failure.

I am comming up on a year with this fix in place, I was afraid that the left side had cut out sometime 3 weeks ago again, but it seems like it was either my imagination, or an isolated incident.
So far so good though for me. I would deffinatly like to hear from anyone who couldnt get this to work, or had it fail again shortly after.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm moving this post to the Noob thread.
My 6 disc changer swallowed a cd and won't spit it back out. I know for a fact it's in there but nothing is showing when I push eject on any of the trays. From what I was told (happened while I wasn't in the car- lucky for them, unlucky me) it seems possible the cd wasn't put in correctly and might not have been aligned to fit any of the cd trays right. Originally there was an error, but no error number provided. After turning off the car and then starting it back up, no more error and cd changer works. I think, however, that I heard a popping sound once, maybe the cd breaking?

Anyway, question is, since removing the HU from the dash reveals the backside of the CD changer section, judging from the how to pics, if I removed the HU from the dash, would the cd or its broken shards come out from the back end? This is assuming it didn't make it into a cd tray. Of course not knowing how the changer is designed, maybe I'm way off base. Just wondering if this might let me get the cd out or any broken pieces.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:54 PM

still no problems after a 1.5 yrs of messing with mine
Old 10-03-2006, 09:20 AM

um i dont plan on keeping my stock bose HU, but instead of going through all the trouble, i've discovered that instead of hitting another bump in order for it to come back on or just waiting on it, take your buddah's palm and hit where the tape deck part is so u wont damage the screen and it'll come back into play lol just discovered it 2 weeks ago when i got pissed and hit it.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:56 AM
The original VQ...

damm i wish i saw this thread earlier....

I got so pissed off with it i just ordered another HU, o well, now ill have navi and dvd and etc
Old 10-03-2006, 10:29 AM

i almost bought an aftermarket cd / dvd player.. but i will try this!!!
Old 10-03-2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by kencapel
um i dont plan on keeping my stock bose HU, but instead of going through all the trouble, i've discovered that instead of hitting another bump in order for it to come back on or just waiting on it, take your buddah's palm and hit where the tape deck part is so u wont damage the screen and it'll come back into play lol just discovered it 2 weeks ago when i got pissed and hit it.
kinda ghetto but it works since they put it that way...why waste money unless u want an aftermarket HU
Old 10-03-2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
damm i wish i saw this thread earlier....

I got so pissed off with it i just ordered another HU, o well, now ill have navi and dvd and etc
What did you order?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02-03 Bose 6CD changer Audio cutout fix!!