5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help with Camshaft Position Sensor

Old 12-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Help with Camshaft Position Sensor

Anyone know of an easy and simple way to troubleshoot the Camshaft Position Sensor. Getting a P0340 code on bank 1 with intermittent engine cut out and stalling.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:12 PM

Check resistance between the two pins of the sensor.

You should have 1440-1760 if it's a Hitachi sensor, or 2090-2550 if Mitsu...
Old 12-19-2009, 08:22 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Under what conditions do you have the problem?

If I get close to flooring it before the engine is fully warmed up, my car will cut out a time or two, then buck and cut out if I try to accelerate quickly again-but it has never stalled. Also will do it if I hit the rev limiter and with my tires nearly to the wear bars, it is pretty easy to do if I get on it hard and the tires spin. I turn the engine off, turn it back to run (but not start) to use my code reader to clear the pending P0340 code (SES light has never come on because of this), then turn the key back to off and start my car and it runs fine again until the next time. I've already changed the bank 1 camshaft position sensor and all three were changed prior to me purchasing the car under the recall. I've also checked the grounding wires from the VTC solenoids, even cleaned the timing chain cover where they are grounded to.

Not sure if your problem occurs under the same conditions as mine but if so and you figure it out, let me know.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Check resistance between the two pins of the sensor.

You should have 1440-1760 if it's a Hitachi sensor, or 2090-2550 if Mitsu...
Thanks I'll give it a try. Also my Max hiccupped twice yesterday and I don't know why! Cruising on the Interstate at 50mph, let off the accelerator and hiccup.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Under what conditions do you have the problem?

If I get close to flooring it before the engine is fully warmed up, my car will cut out a time or two, then buck and cut out if I try to accelerate quickly again-but it has never stalled. Also will do it if I hit the rev limiter and with my tires nearly to the wear bars, it is pretty easy to do if I get on it hard and the tires spin. I turn the engine off, turn it back to run (but not start) to use my code reader to clear the pending P0340 code (SES light has never come on because of this), then turn the key back to off and start my car and it runs fine again until the next time. I've already changed the bank 1 camshaft position sensor and all three were changed prior to me purchasing the car under the recall. I've also checked the grounding wires from the VTC solenoids, even cleaned the timing chain cover where they are grounded to.

Not sure if your problem occurs under the same conditions as mine but if so and you figure it out, let me know.

what recall are you talking about? I have the same code right now and I called nissan if there was a recall on camshaft position sensor but they told me no. there was a recall on the crankshaft sensor but not the camshaft. I plan on replacing my camshaft position sensor today... did you do this yourself? I heard it was easy.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:23 AM

hawnboy, don't you want to replace the camshaft position sensor? that's what i'm doing. unless you know something i don't.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Do I need to replace both camshaft sensors

I read that Nissan recommends this, but I have read a few posts where people said they only replaced one and said that fixed the problem. I would rather not replace both if I don't have to.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:50 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by 1NICEMAX
what recall are you talking about? I have the same code right now and I called nissan if there was a recall on camshaft position sensor but they told me no. there was a recall on the crankshaft sensor but not the camshaft. I plan on replacing my camshaft position sensor today... did you do this yourself? I heard it was easy.
2002 and 2003 there was a recall and they would change all three.

Bank 2 looks very easy, Bank 1 you have to remove the air box and then access is easy. 1 clip, 1 bolt.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

P0340 Code that won't quit! Help!

Hi all,

This is my first post after reading numerous posts on this site. Thanks in advance for any help.

I am the original owner of a 2002 Nissan Maxima SE with about 85,000 miles on it. About a month or so ago, it began stalling intermittently. It would stall at red lights, when coming to a stop, and at low speeds. The check engine light came on and was showing codes of P1800, vias selenoid, and P0340, the bank one camshaft sensor.

I brought it to a mechanic who replaced both camshaft sensors (bank one and two) but not the vias selenoid (he said that the vias selenoid was unrelated to the stalling). The problem was not fixed and the light came back on. I then brought it to the Nissan dealer, who replaced the vias selenoid and also replaced the camshaft sensors (which were only a week old at this point).

Shortly after leaving the dealership the check engine light came back on. The car was still throwing the P0340 code (but not the P1800 code) and continued to stall at lights, stops and low speeds. Also, although the car would run fine for stretches it would almost always stall first thing in the morning or after being left inactive for a period of hours.

I brought it to a local mechanic who cleaned the throttle body and the MAF and turned the light off (he didn't charge me for this). The mechanic said he didn't know what the problem was but that he had monitored the MAF during instances of the car stalling and was 100% sure it wasn't the MAF.

The problem came back. I brought it to another mechanic who confirmed that the throttle body was as clean as "when it came off the assembly" and looked at other possible causes but was unable to fix it (again he didn't charge me).

After discovering that there had been a recall related to this exact issue years back, I brought it back to Nissan. My car had had the recall fix performed. I hadn't remembered this but had the paperwork.

I asked Nissan to replace the camshaft sensors and crank position sensor again since they had charged me $600 and hadn't fixed the problem. They put up a fight but finally agreed to do so. They wanted to charge me $3200 plus to replace the ecu and the wiring harness (They told me they didn't know if this would fix the problem or not but that they would warranty the ecu for a year. I can't imaging putting $3200 plus into an 8 year old car and crossing my fingers that it fixes the problem).

After Nissan replaced the camshaft sensors and the crank position sensors for the third time, the car ran beautifully for one day (I left one instance out for sake of brevity ).

All during these issues, I noticed that my mpg was plummeting. It had never been good. It was usually around 16.9 mpg city prior to this issue but at the height of this issue was reading 14.0 mpg and even dipped briefly into the high 13s.

After Nissan did its latest replacement of sensors, the car ran great for a day. The mpg went all the way up to 18 mpg! I watched the mpg go up as I drove the car and was hopeful that the problem was finally solved, but no such luck. The next morning it began stalling again.

I brought it to one last mechanic. A state certified expert in emissions and he tested it. He said the camshaft sensor is getting the proper voltage and that the ground and other connections are good. He finally gave up and said it could be the computer or a part of the wiring harness but that he didn't know what the problem was. The engine is still throwing the P0340 code.

Sorry for the long post. Any thoughts or ideas? Before this I loved this car and hate to give it up. I am also unemployed at the moment so I can't afford another car. Thank you.

Last edited by dan2002maxima; 09-20-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:38 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Dan-I'd check around at wrecking yards or craigslist to get an ECU.

I've been dealing with my stupid P0340 stuff since I got the car, but it is nowhere near the problems you've had. Mine is a once every 1-2 months and all I have to do is pull over, turn off the car, then back on again and it runs fine again. Even had the oil flushed on the advice of a Nissan tech who said the oil passages in the IVT solenoids are pretty small and sludge or grit can cause them to malfunction. I had that done in early June, had the hesitation and then limp home mode thing twice since so I guess that wasn't the problem.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Scott,

Thanks for your response. I think I am going to try to have the ECU replaced. It looks like Pam's Auto sells used ones through eBay. I will try them maybe. Let me know if anyone has had any experience with that vendor.

If I get the new ECU then I need the dealership to reprogram it right? I don't trust the dealership at all. Is there anyone else who can do this?

Does the dealer make the new ECU work with the chip in my existing keys? Just don't want to order the used ECU and have the dealership give me some song and dance about not being able to program it unless it is bought new from them.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 09-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Also, where do I look to find the parts number on my existing ECU or in my car to make sure I am buying the right one? I have looked at the ECU and disconnected the wire so I know where it is, is removing it fairly straightforward? Thanks.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:39 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I believe you would need to have the dealer reprogram the keys for the ECU.

I haven't replaced a Maxima ECU but the one in my Accord was very easy. Unbolt, unplug, reverse order with the replacement.