6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How can i make my headlight reflectors white

Old 07-22-2010, 08:53 AM

How can i make my headlight reflectors white

Now i know the cheap and ghetto way to just put a chrome tape around it(thats how i have it),or to open up the cover and paint it.
I've seen some 6th gen Maximas have a white reflector under the headlight cover and it reflects good like it came like that stock.How do i do that?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by UniqueMax
Now i know the cheap and ghetto way to just put a chrome tape around it(thats how i have it),or to open up the cover and paint it.
I've seen some 6th gen Maximas have a white reflector under the headlight cover and it reflects good like it came like that stock.How do i do that?

go to home depot or lowes , purchase the clear covers that you use at the office,

open headlights and cut the clear reflectors out and your done.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:48 PM
KC's FINEST

Flourescent light cover.

The search function works well too...
Old 07-22-2010, 01:46 PM

mmm..smart idea.So I suppose this is the same thickness as the stock amber reflector.This will work in the issue of changing the color to white,but will it reflect though?

Last edited by UniqueMax; 07-22-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's not a reflector.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
It's not a reflector.
any suggestions?
Old 07-22-2010, 11:59 PM

I think the name that your looking for is a side marker. If you want it clear then your only option was already given to you by the gentlemen above. If you want it white, like pear white or something then all you have to do is find the spray paint that you want and take out your side marker, paint it and BAMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!! Your done. Obviously your gonna have to take out your headlights and bake them open. You might as well do some lighting mods while your at it or even paint the housing.

AND that was my 2 cents. Good luck
Old 07-23-2010, 12:06 AM

But, just to answer your question..........Yes, the cleared sidemarker will reflect light better than stock orange. Those orange sidemarkers are basically useless, at least with the cleared sidemarkers you have style points. In the end, those side markers are not gonna stop anybody in case of some emergency or letting other cars know that your there. People are fools out there on the road and they don't give a damn about your "reflector", you just gotta drive smart. So, I'm guessing that the whole safety issue your having with changing your sidemarker is just paranoia in the form hesitation from opening and closing your headlights which is understandable. Most people don't even do it because they fear the same thing you do. It's some risky stuff because you could end up with condensation and that will lead to some blown light bulbs and other electrical issues. So, if you don't want to do it...........then forget about it and keep things the way they are.

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 07-23-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:29 AM

Now i know the cheap and ghetto way to just put a chrome tape around it(thats how i have it),or to open up the cover and paint it........
Ghetto? Ummm I know a guy who did that.

And the yellow marker is a reflector, the clear light cover is not a reflector, it's just clear.

So you already have yours wrapped? Post some picks of your ride. Don't think I've see any of it yet. I have two brand new headlights sitting on the shelf and I am debating the samething. Not sure if i want to bake them open or not. But I agree with 6.5affiliate if you going to go through all that trouble, you might as well do all the mods you can.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:09 AM

Ghetto? Ummm I know a guy who did that.

And the yellow marker is a reflector, the clear light cover is not a reflector, it's just clear.

So you already have yours wrapped? Post some picks of your ride. Don't think I've see any of it yet. I have two brand new headlights sitting on the shelf and I am debating the samething. Not sure if i want to bake them open or not. But I agree with 6.5affiliate if you going to go through all that trouble, you might as well do all the mods you can.
Just took some pics right this moment

Maybe you can't tell from the pics..but i like urs better..and as far as a reflector i wont mind.i still want it white.i saw on the pic where u took ur reflector out,there's chrome so that will help a bit with reflection.how did u open them,heating gun or oven?

Last edited by UniqueMax; 07-25-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 AM

Just took some pics right this moment
Maybe you can't tell from the pics..but i like urs better..and as far as a reflector i wont mind.i still want it white.i saw on the pic where u took ur reflector out,there's chrome so that will help a bit with reflection.how did u open them,heating gun or oven?

Most use an oven.

What wheels are those?
Old 07-23-2010, 10:01 AM

.......Maybe you can't tell from the pics..but i like urs better..and as far as a reflector i wont mind.i still want it white.i saw on the pic where u took ur reflector out,there's chrome so that will help a bit with reflection.how did u open them,heating gun or oven?

Hey your Max is pretty sharp, I like your work. I see what you are saying about the overlay paper. I had a tough time with the bubbles, took a bit of effort there. I got two brand new headlight sitting in my garage. I'm trying to figure out if I want to open them again or not. It's kind of a lot of work.

I put mine in the oven. How did you do yours the first time? I think it messed them up honestly. I didn't cover them up with a wet towel and I don't think the plastic cover likes the heat. After I did that, they totally scratched up. It's almost as if there is some coating on them that the heat ruined and made them vulnerable to scratching and fading. I never had ANY issues with them before that.

Here is a good website for CF paper, if I do go with CF again. I will get it from here: http://www.decalfx.com/carbon_3_black_sheets.html

We need a write up and more pics of your grill!!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:38 AM
KC's FINEST

Your headlights looks pretty good...

Im also liking the grille. What is (was) it?

And at your trunk setup. How does it sound..?
Old 07-23-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by bcampbe7
Most use an oven.

What wheels are those?
Ruff Racing
Old 07-23-2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
Your headlights looks pretty good...

Im also liking the grille. What is (was) it?

And at your trunk setup. How does it sound..?
Thnx.I actually built the grill myself from scratch.before I did it i saw some maximas with a cadillac grille but I wasnt feeling that.so i went with 3 moldings.based it on the new mercedes carbon fiber grille..theres some step by step pics on MAX2DAMAX's thread "Anyone thinkin about doing a 07-08 conversion.LOOK HERE" check out that thread for step by step instructions
An the trunk set up is tickeling my nose and choking me wen i turn it up..its damn.. will post some pics on my album or just do a thread..but them JLW7 kick the **** out of my max
Old 07-23-2010, 04:12 PM

Hey your Max is pretty sharp, I like your work. I see what you are saying about the overlay paper. I had a tough time with the bubbles, took a bit of effort there. I got two brand new headlight sitting in my garage. I'm trying to figure out if I want to open them again or not. It's kind of a lot of work.

I put mine in the oven. How did you do yours the first time? I think it messed them up honestly. I didn't cover them up with a wet towel and I don't think the plastic cover likes the heat. After I did that, they totally scratched up. It's almost as if there is some coating on them that the heat ruined and made them vulnerable to scratching and fading. I never had ANY issues with them before that.

Here is a good website for CF paper, if I do go with CF again. I will get it from here: http://www.decalfx.com/carbon_3_black_sheets.html

We need a write up and more pics of your grill!!
So u wanna open them and put that CF film on em?i was thinkin of it but just a lil piece..and the rest paint it dark chrome ad put the halos..it sucks u messed up ur lights on the oven..what u think of the heating gun?
U have a grille write up on MAX2DAMAX's thread."Anyone thinkin on doin 07 08 conversion.LOOK HERE" checkthat tread out for my grille pics
Old 07-23-2010, 10:01 PM

If your gonna use an oven, all you have to do is put a piece of cardboard on the rack with a wet towel. That will prevent it from getting scratches and what nots.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate
If your gonna use an oven, all you have to do is put a piece of cardboard on the rack with a wet towel. That will prevent it from getting scratches and what nots.
im planning on using a cooking tray...so on top of it a cardboard,and on top of cardboard a wet towel..is tat what u saying?
Old 07-24-2010, 06:02 AM

Put a wet towel over the headlight lens. I just put mine face up on an a cookie sheet.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:04 AM

Put a wet towel over the headlight lens. I just put mine face up on an a cookie sheet.
OK thats a start..thre was other gy who did it nd h messed up the lens with the towel..idk if he trnedthe oven too high o what..can u please do a write up on what degree should i keep the oven ad when to put the headlight in andhow long to leave i there before taking in out?
Old 07-24-2010, 02:59 PM

Wow.........

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 07-24-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:00 PM

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 07-24-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:02 PM

OK thats a start..thre was other gy who did it nd h messed up the lens with the towel..idk if he trnedthe oven too high o what..can u please do a write up on what degree should i keep the oven ad when to put the headlight in andhow long to leave i there before taking in out?
I think I went with about 150-175 degrees for ten minutes. Not sure how a towel will mess up the lense but anyway here are a couple of threads to check out:

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...light-mod.html

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/articles.php?article_id=91
Old 07-25-2010, 01:35 PM

I think I went with about 150-175 degrees for ten minutes. Not sure how a towel will mess up the lense but anyway here are a couple of threads to check out:

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...light-mod.html

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/articles.php?article_id=91
Apollos..thanks a lot for the threads.I think the second one of Deus was more detailed of "how to" instructions.Im not scared at all of taking everything appart from it or doing the mods i want(painting,LEDs on the sidemarker whit reflector white reflector,or halos.Actually that will be the fun part.My only concern was opening it.But im gonna enjoy doing all the other work on it.My new set of headlights arrived already.I'll have to pick them up Monday from the post office.What you think about paintin the housin gun metal/charcoal kind of,since no one did it i wanna try that.I thint it will go with white halos.Besides it will go with my CF grill.dont you think