4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replace A/C Bearing

Old 08-03-2010, 06:09 PM

Replace A/C Bearing

Anybody have a tutorial or know how to replace this? I'm not even sure what this part is. I asked what a squealing noise upon startup that goes away when i give it gas is and was told it was an A/C compressor bearing on its way out. Folks said it could be replaced but didn't really give much explanation and said it is kinda hard to do. So is it worth the trouble? And if so can someone explain how to do it?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:16 PM

here's a very detailed how-to: http://www.vqpower.com/v2////article...article_id=112

before you proceed, make sure it is indeed the bearing. once you start hearing the noise, turn the a/c off. if it disappears, it might be it, if it doesn't - look somewhere else. my compressor had a bad bearing and would make a noise only with the a/c on.
good luck!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:53 PM

Yeah i haven't given it a very thorough check yet. I'm going to get belts replaced first and make sure it's not something that simple. I also heard it could be a water pump issue, does this sound feasible?
Old 08-03-2010, 08:07 PM

I have the same issue and I'm thinking whether to replace the bearing or just get a new compressor, but try it out and let me know how hard it was to do and I might just do mines.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:37 AM

I'll let you know if i do, but it might be a while...she only makes the noise but once a week or so and funds are a little tight now so this one is probably going to have to wait a while haha
Old 08-04-2010, 06:29 AM

I am in the process of doing this same exact thing right now. I didnt even know that this writeup existed.

Only thing I can't do is fit the large snap ring back onto the "field coil". I've tried 3 different tools without any luck...I was going to head back to Sears tmrw and try and find a better one.

Also, I just bought a used compressor from an .org member here, removed the clutch and pulley and made sure the bearings were good, and will reinstall in reverse order. Might not be as good as brand new bearings, but the one I got has good bearings so I am not worried. And for the price I paid, you can't go wrong.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:59 AM

i have a good compressor(for cars after 6/96) with bad bearing if anyone is interested in this diy
Old 08-04-2010, 02:20 PM

I was going to replace my bearing but changed my mind. I can get a low mileage compressor here for dirt cheap.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
I am in the process of doing this same exact thing right now. I didnt even know that this writeup existed.

Only thing I can't do is fit the large snap ring back onto the "field coil". I've tried 3 different tools without any luck...I was going to head back to Sears tmrw and try and find a better one.

Also, I just bought a used compressor from an .org member here, removed the clutch and pulley and made sure the bearings were good, and will reinstall in reverse order. Might not be as good as brand new bearings, but the one I got has good bearings so I am not worried. And for the price I paid, you can't go wrong.
Yeah I understand where you are coming from as I did the same thing last year when bent the clutch plate. Bought a used one for $80 and this summer back to square one with the noise. When it rains and I have it on and water finds its way through the splash shields, noise like no tomorrow.

Although when I did replace the one last year on my original compressor, it sounded soo quiet..like you couldn't even hear the pulleys at all. Just need to find the proper clutch removal tool for this compressor.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Yeah I understand where you are coming from as I did the same thing last year when bent the clutch plate. Bought a used one for $80 and this summer back to square one with the noise. When it rains and I have it on and water finds its way through the splash shields, noise like no tomorrow.

Although when I did replace the one last year on my original compressor, it sounded soo quiet..like you couldn't even hear the pulleys at all. Just need to find the proper clutch removal tool for this compressor.
I just used a flathead screwdriver and very carefully (and evenly) pryed up on the clutch plate. The 2nd compressor was cake, but the first one I tried doing this with I bent the clutch like no tomorrow because of how badly it was stuck.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
I just used a flathead screwdriver and very carefully (and evenly) pryed up on the clutch plate. The 2nd compressor was cake, but the first one I tried doing this with I bent the clutch like no tomorrow because of how badly it was stuck.
Yeah and this is what I am afraid of. Once that clutch plate is bent, your whole compressor is done and will need to get a used one because that clutch is not sold separate. This is why I need to find the proper tool for this and definitely help out a lot of people on the .org here with this problem.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Yeah and this is what I am afraid of. Once that clutch plate is bent, your whole compressor is done and will need to get a used one because that clutch is not sold separate. This is why I need to find the proper tool for this and definitely help out a lot of people on the .org here with this problem.
I know in the FSM they refer to a special tool used to pull the clutch off...maybe you could try asking someone at Nissan?

Or if worst comes to worst, you bend the clutch and you need to buy another used compressor, regardless of the shape of the bearings, or the functionality of the unit. They are dirt cheap.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:39 PM
LKW
Newbie - Just Registered

So, while you are talking clutches... are they solenoid actuated? My AC is not working and while listening for the solenoid while my son pushed the AC button on and off, I didn't hear a thing. Should I hear a loud click when the AC goes on? I'm not sure if the clutch is not engaging or if the system needs a re-charge.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Glad someone made this thread, saved me some searching time lol

2 weeks ago we had a real big storm in Chicago with a good amount of flooding, truth is that I drove through a street that had about 1 foot of water and since then my ac compressor bearing is making noise. Its definitely coming from the A/C so lets see how this goes!
Old 08-06-2010, 06:28 AM

^^ post progress pics