4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fuel Pressure Regulator

Old 08-15-2010, 06:24 PM

Fuel Pressure Regulator

Anyone here has replaced the F.P.R (Fuel Pressure Regulator)?

I have some starting problems and after reading this forum, it seems that changing the FPR might do it....(along with all the EGR cleaning stuff).

To make a long story short,I'm trying to unscrew the two screws that are holding up the F.P.R but they are on sooo tight..I've used PB blaster (tapped it) but it won't budge. I even tried an power tool but I almost stripped out the inside of that screw...I was thinking of heating that thing but I have so much oil and rubber hoses that I'm afraid to attempt it.

Any other tips I could use?

Thanks
Old 08-15-2010, 07:22 PM

That is a common problem. Put your phillips screwdriver into the FPR screw and give the end of the screwdriver a good hit with a hammer. It should break the bond. I was having problems with those screws also and this worked like a charm.

My starting problem was caused by the starter not the FPR. If you remove the vacuum hose from the FPR and there is fuel there the FPR is bad if it is dry the FPR is probably OK.

There is fuel there so maybe the heating idea is not so good.

Last edited by Nopike; 08-15-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:28 PM

I tried to take my FPR off when I changed the knock sensor so I would have more room. But I couldn't get the lower screw out. I got the upper screw off using a small pair of vice grips on the screw head.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I tried to take my FPR off when I changed the knock sensor so I would have more room. But I couldn't get the lower screw out. I got the upper screw off using a small pair of vice grips on the screw head.
+1. Vise grips are your best bet in getting those screws off. Also, if the FPR does not leak into the vacuum line, doesn't mean that its good. I replaced mine anyways and went from over 2 seconds of cold start cranking to less than a second..

Also, I replaced mine with a OEM...your preference in where you want to get yours from.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:24 AM

I'm having 2nd thoughts about changing the FPR, I'd thought that since I have everything off (MAF, IACV, thottle) access is a lot easier, but wow, what a workout thus far..

My starter was replaced last month after it literally died on me, car did not turn over, but the other starting problem continued...basically in warm weather only, when the car is cold, the car starts and stalls almost immediately...unless I have the gas pedal pressed down, then it would start.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Justaguy
I'm having 2nd thoughts about changing the FPR, I'd thought that since I have everything off (MAF, IACV, thottle) access is a lot easier, but wow, what a workout thus far..

My starter was replaced last month after it literally died on me, car did not turn over, but the other starting problem continued...basically in warm weather only, when the car is cold, the car starts and stalls almost immediately...unless I have the gas pedal pressed down, then it would start.
That is your FPR but why did you remove IACV??? That is no where near the FPR. You need to just remove MAF and throttle body assembly. You are giving yourself more work than you should be doing....
Old 08-16-2010, 01:19 PM

I removed the IACV because I'm cleaning out the EGR tube as well...I took it off last night and it was very black and the EGR tube is blocked (I'm going to have fun with that screw I have to hack)
Old 08-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

These 3 are your best friends

Here's the sourcehttp://forums.maxima.org/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/618096-hard-start-weak-start.html
Old 08-16-2010, 07:53 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Drill them out and replace them with hex heads.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
Drill them out and replace them with hex heads.
damn you went through all that trouble? I think my way is easier and faster
Old 08-17-2010, 06:19 AM

Yeah, I might just drill them...
I'm going to get myself a good set of pliers and see if I can get anywhere.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:24 AM

WHen u replace, can u post the results? Im curious to know
Old 08-17-2010, 04:44 PM

Not pliers, Vise grips...you will only round off the head with the pliers...

As far as drilling them out, that's a bit extreme. The screws are not heavily torqued but are seized up due to corrosion.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:00 PM

Okay I got them both out!

Well actually I called on my mechanic friend to help me out..in less than 1 minute he had them both out.

He started with the top screw and he placed a fine chizel (sp?) between the screw and the FPR, gave it 2-3 taps with a hammer, then he unscrewed it.

For the bottom, he just tapped the FPR from a few sides (to giggle it I guess) then with some pressure and a good screwdriver, he took out the second screw.

I was tapping the hammer with the screwdriver in the screw...oh well, experience I guess.

SO it's out!! Finally!
Old 08-18-2010, 06:52 AM

I was tapping the hammer with the screwdriver in the screw...oh well, experience I guess.!
With the screwdriver in the screw worked for me but I could see using the chisel if that did not work.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:57 AM

Glad you got it out but I really don't see what the big fuzz was about... There's plenty of room to access the screws and you had plenty of suggestions
Old 08-18-2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Glad you got it out but I really don't see what the big fuzz was about... There's plenty of room to access the screws and you had plenty of suggestions
Correct, but those suggestions didn't work for me..almost did. The mechanic showed me new ways to get those screws out..for next time

The problem wasn't with the access..
"To make a long story short,I'm trying to unscrew the two screws that are holding up the F.P.R but they are on sooo tight..I've used PB blaster (tapped it) but it won't budge. I even tried an power tool but I almost stripped out the inside of that screw...I was thinking of heating that thing but I have so much oil and rubber hoses that I'm afraid to attempt it."