4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gas fumes when heater is on

Old 12-17-2010, 07:49 PM

Gas fumes when heater is on

So I've read quite a few posts on here about the hoses and such being the culprit, but just want to get 2nd opinions on this.

Last week had my car in for a few things and did one of those fuel injector cleanings (I know normally a rip-off, but my car has performed much better so I'm ok with it). Ever since though, when the heat is on in the car the gas fumes are over-whelming.

From what I read it sounds like possible hose leaks (which is silly because a few hoses were replaced last weekend as well). This I know I can track myself, but curious what any second culprits could be. Its pretty dang cold so I'd like to get it fixed without a lot of tinkering and guesswork, and this place is the best source to come up with possible issues beyond the obvious..

Thanks all and to all a good Christmas.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:29 PM

Complaint
Originally Posted by rdw72777
when the heat is on in the car the gas fumes are over-whelming.
Answer
a few hoses were replaced last weekend as well
They spilled some gas while changing the lines, or they didn't tighten up the clamps good enough.

When a problem arises, look first at any recent events that might have contributed to condition.

If the smell was pre-existing look at your hoses, pressure regulator, and injector O-rings.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:40 PM
SLOW

are they definitely gas fumes or are they exhaust fumes? my daily has an exhaust leak somewhere that you can smell when the heater is on and the car is stopped at a light. when I'm moving i can't notice it. my old beater 4th gen had the same issue the last winter that i had it, but i got rid of it shortly after that and never bothered to track it down.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:18 AM

So I've read quite a few posts on here about the hoses and such being the culprit, but just want to get 2nd opinions on this.

Last week had my car in for a few things and did one of those fuel injector cleanings (I know normally a rip-off, but my car has performed much better so I'm ok with it). Ever since though, when the heat is on in the car the gas fumes are over-whelming.

From what I read it sounds like possible hose leaks (which is silly because a few hoses were replaced last weekend as well). This I know I can track myself, but curious what any second culprits could be. Its pretty dang cold so I'd like to get it fixed without a lot of tinkering and guesswork, and this place is the best source to come up with possible issues beyond the obvious..

Thanks all and to all a good Christmas.
Mine recently started happening last week when I put on the heater. Knowing that I did all my maintenance this past summer with valve cover gaskets, I checked and replaced two injectors because of low ohms. When I smelt it I knew it couldn't be a hose so I figured the injector was stuck open. I floored it and the smell went away. Its in the 20's going to teens in NYC...maybe yours is stuck open as well.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:35 AM

I would put money on it being the hoses they replaced. Check the ones attached to your fuel filter. Also, I doubt it would have been "spilt" gas cause it would evaporate in no time on a short drive
Old 12-21-2010, 10:59 AM

Yeah its not a spill

Most of the old posts in the forum talk of cracked hoses and that when cold the cracks show but when the hoses warm they expand and "seal" the cracks. This sounds like my issue as it seems to go away about half way through my drive. Or I just get used to it and more brain cells die needlessly.

This will be the only maintenance I need to do this Christmas; this car has come a long way and I've spent too much money but when it runs well an hoses are the only issue, its all worthwhile.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:17 PM

This happened to me with my 3rd gen. On colder days I would smell gas and when spring came, the smell went away. It was fine all summer and then the next winter, the gas smell returned. While I kept looking to try and see a leak, I never could. In my case, it was the hoses that connected to the fuel rails, but any hose could be the problem.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:19 PM

evap leak possibly?? use a smoker (if you have one) or some wd-40 or something to see if any of the evap vacuum hoses are leaking
Old 12-22-2010, 06:07 PM

I have that kind of problem, but with oil fume. Even if I wash my inner windshield, there's always a ''film'' on my windshield. I look like condensation, it reduce the visibility.

So everything under the hood is going in the car by the ventilation.

We should find a way to bypass the air access.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:41 AM

Check ur charcoal canister, esp when ur having that strong fuel odor.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:24 PM

Thanks all

Still haven't gotten to this, but at some point I expect an unusually warm day here in Philly to take some time and look at this. Initial cursory inspection no gaping cracks were seen. I just need to look closer and at more things.