7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

2009 Maxima at the NY Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
I can't believe they're trying to market this as a "driver's car" and are only offering it in CVT. Those two things are mutually exclusive. simply for that reason alone, I won't consider one. I don't care if they have 4 modes and one of them is "sport" there's no sport involved in not shifting your own damn gears.

I want a clutch pedal and a real shifter, dammit! it's just part of the game!

And yes, Nissan, I'm in the market for a $35k car right now. In the last ten years, I've owned four Nissans including two Maximas. I'm President of one of the oldest and most active Z clubs in the country. I'm searching for a 4 door sport sedan that'll soak up highway miles with ease but also make the trips to the grocery store (and my 60mile daily commute) more fun. I make $100k a year and even sell aftermarket parts for Maximas. I couldn't be more in the crosshairs of your marketing group than that! But you missed me with the CVT. Give me stick, or give me death!!!

Guess I'll just get me a G35 6MT. the RWD speaks more to me as well.
there you go...for the things you're looking for a G35/37 is a better fit for you.
you're not exactly in the demo range they are looking for.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
I can't believe they're trying to market this as a "driver's car" and are only offering it in CVT. Those two things are mutually exclusive. simply for that reason alone, I won't consider one. I don't care if they have 4 modes and one of them is "sport" there's no sport involved in not shifting your own damn gears.

I want a clutch pedal and a real shifter, dammit! it's just part of the game! ...
Finally! Something i can argue with you about.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by dtahsee
Did you guys get any more pics of the interior? One of the changes implemented in this maxima is the addition of audio and climate controls on the rear fold down thingy between the seats. (Cant remember what it is called. Console??). I would love to see a pic of that.

don't really see anything there...
Old 03-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by DanNY

don't really see anything there...
I believe it's on the other side of the center arm rest. The part of the back seat in the middle that folds down.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Some additional random shots

Old 03-20-2008, 07:01 PM

Its good to see they are heavily reflecting on the 3rd gens with the design and marketing of this new car. Claiming "the 4 door sports car is back" is a rather bold statement, which can be a good thing or a bad thing. What the maxima and "4DSC" originally delivered was a competitively priced sporty midsize performance sedan furnished with just enough amenities and creature comforts. It was never a luxury sedan nor was it a cheap econobox.

Weve only seen visuals so far, so test driving still awaits to really tell how it performs and if it lives up to the 4DSC aura. It looks to be a little heavy/boaty though. The RWD factor cant be argued, since the maxima was mainly always FWD. Also, retro is a biggie today so reflecting on the maxima's past to market the 7th gen is plausible.

With the transmission issue, a 6spd manual should at least be optional in the "SE" model, or whatever will be the sport trim.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Last edited by DanNY; 03-20-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

LOL..yeah my Ferrari have nice paddle shifters too.

seriously you HAVE to compare apples to apples...not another car that's 25K more than the Maxima.
I definitely did not start my post to compare to the 7th gen to an is-f....it popped into my head when I was referring to the 7th gens much better placement for the paddle shifters, but it still made me think a little.

I also thought is was a very relevant to point out that the is-f is only available with an auto tranny. Getting kind of agro with people dissing CVT.

Someone said that they drove the murano CVT and was not happy. IMO you cannot compare the feel of the murano CVT to even the 6.5 gen, let alone the redesigned sport CVT that NOT ONE PERSON HERE HAS EVEN DRIVEN YET!!!!

Lots of you have not even driven a CVT and are disgusted with it based on principle alone. Basically, get over it. Automatic trannys are the future. Computer shift faster and more efficiently then people. Once technology surpasses torque distribution problems you will be hard pressed to find manuals in anything but a true sports car.

CVT is by far the most amazing and impressive tech that my new maxima features. Replaced my 4th gen manual, which I loved and was quite smooth, but smooth doesn't even come close to describing CVT. Silky smooth is a little better.

Personally, with how happy I have been with my 6.5 CVT, I cannot wait to see how the sport CVT drives, and until then, I won't be speculating.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:04 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by soundmike
I believe it's on the other side of the center arm rest. The part of the back seat in the middle that folds down.
Yes there were climate controls when you flipped down the rear center arm rest. I saw them but didn't get a picture of them.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:11 PM

Very exciting new model. I would have considered it if it was introduced earlier this year. The products from Nissan nowaday are far more exciting and innovative compare to other japanese manufacture, IMO. Since I sold my 02' Max, I had purchased Honda/Lexus. Those cars are nice and well made but in the end I went back to Nissan for their unique design/styling and reliable engineering . Currently park in my garage is the 08' Infiniti EX35...very happen with it thus far!
Old 03-21-2008, 03:02 AM

Nissan, are you listening?

"I would *never* buy a performance car that does not have a manual transmission!".

A commuter-beater sled maybe, but never one for performance driving.

IMHO, of course.... :-)
Old 03-21-2008, 03:39 AM

start a sticky for poll/votes for manual trans for 7th gens!
Old 03-21-2008, 05:05 AM

Car is UGLY !!!

I expected better.

1- the upper and lower grille are to big.
2- Two fog light holes on each side - ugly
3 - what's up with the front lights ?
4- Back looks a bit like the Altima.
5- What's up with the steering wheel.- ugly
6 - Center console is weird looking.

I'm going to stick with my 6th generation.

Disappointed in Queens.

Don't even feel like going to Auto Show any more.

I think Nissan needs to hire new designers.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:41 AM

Am I the only one who thinks it looks like a Volvo
Old 03-21-2008, 06:23 AM

Great job guys on the coverage. I hope you guys had alot of fun there, must be neat.

I think the controls in the middle of the car are cheap looking, the auto climate control/radio and authomatic shifter next to the drink spot looks cheesy/cheap. The nav looks too far away to have the upmost versatility with it. NO 6spd for the real drivers? Doesnt the 2dr altima come in 6spd?

The photochopped pic looks great with carbon fiber hood and after market stuff. Otherwise the car doesnt really do anything for me.

Anyhow nice job guys with the coverage

Last edited by Tippy Toes; 03-21-2008 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:51 AM
wants an I35

im still not sure where i sit with this as a whole. i like the body style for the most part, but there are still elements that touch the mainstream styling you see in all of the cars since 06; camry, scion, hell even the new malibu.

overall though, as this relates to the direction of the maxima in the future i am happy.

i cant even explain how frustrated and upset i was to see the 6th gen.
i thought it was a hideous boat-of-a-car, with absolutly no resemblence to the original and authentic maximas from the 93-03 range. it really seemed like this car was going for the wrong target audience.

now that i see this though, it inspires me that the future of the maxima will be a bright one. yea there are lots of body ideas taken off of other popular cars, but the whole thing is unique within itself.

i am quite happy with the 09 model. and a loss of a manual, seeing as how i grew up in NYC and never had to learn to drive one, is a minimal failure.

+1 for Nissan
Old 03-21-2008, 07:13 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by ROCKART
im still not sure where i sit with this as a whole. i like the body style for the most part, but there are still elements that touch the mainstream styling you see in all of the cars since 06; camry, scion, hell even the new malibu.

overall though, as this relates to the direction of the maxima in the future i am happy.

i cant even explain how frustrated and upset i was to see the 6th gen.
i thought it was a hideous boat-of-a-car, with absolutly no resemblence to the original and authentic maximas from the 93-03 range. it really seemed like this car was going for the wrong target audience.

now that i see this though, it inspires me that the future of the maxima will be a bright one. yea there are lots of body ideas taken off of other popular cars, but the whole thing is unique within itself.

i am quite happy with the 09 model. and a loss of a manual, seeing as how i grew up in NYC and never had to learn to drive one, is a minimal failure.

+1 for Nissan
93-03? push it back and start at 89, since you included 2 years of a gen there...

my biggest 3 complaints with the 6th gen were
1) ugly grille
2) visibility out the back window
3) all-red tails.

and having an ugly plastic cover all up on the engine didn't help either. let teh purty vq show itself off!

i was hoping it would have debuted a week earlier so that way maybe one would have been at the NC Auto show, but alas, neither the 7th gen Max nor the Hyundai Genesis were there.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:43 AM

Also thrilled that Nissan is looking to the forum for feedback.

I have to say, I don't like it. Simply because it doesn't look like a Nissan.
I've always been happy with the noticeable differences in appearance between Nissans and other cars.

This new Max looks like a whack of other cars all mashed together, specifically the Lexus'
I'm sure it will sell to the yuppy group with no complaints, and Im sure mechanically it is superior. But the similarities to other luxury cars has turned me off this car.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by PhotoGus
Basically, get over it. Automatic trannys are the future. Computer shift faster and more efficiently then people.
I agree. Everyone knows that autos are faster from speed to speed (i.e 30-50 or 50-70) than manuals. You can see that in any auto magazine comparison test.

If you want a manual transmission car from Nissan, get an Infiniti G.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:23 AM
SuPeRmOd

you sound exactly like the 5th gen owners when the 6th gen came out

Originally Posted by scrui
I expected better.

1- the upper and lower grille are to big.
2- Two fog light holes on each side - ugly
3 - what's up with the front lights ?
4- Back looks a bit like the Altima.
5- What's up with the steering wheel.- ugly
6 - Center console is weird looking.

I'm going to stick with my 6th generation.

Disappointed in Queens.

Don't even feel like going to Auto Show any more.

I think Nissan needs to hire new designers.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Former Vendor

i had to look at a few threads before i could really make a decision. i like it a lot. i'm not a huge performance guy but the changes seem to be on par with todays standards. i think nissan did a good job of blending sport and (entry level) luxury, which is what it should be imo.

props to nissan and ib for showin some love.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jim_arnett
Nissan, are you listening?

"I would *never* buy a performance car that does not have a manual transmission!".

A commuter-beater sled maybe, but never one for performance driving.

IMHO, of course.... :-)

future or not there is driving experience that is lost thats why the M5 comes here with a 6spd manual... it seems they improved the dynamics alot from the boaty 6th gen and now they top it off with only autos?

automatics suck anyways... a DSG or clutchless manual like the Skyline would be better

anyways who am I kidding anyways... I'd never buy another fwd Maxima anyways so yea its great as far as I'm concerned good job *applause* *applause*
Old 03-21-2008, 01:08 PM

with that much horsepower/torque...a manual will produce way too much torque steer for a front wheel drive. The CVT and its programming are best to control the power output to the ground compare to manual shifting. Though a 5-speeds or the new 7-speeds w/rev matching from infiniti would be better suited for this application. That option won't happen due to marketing conflict with the Infiniti G35's.

Last edited by VMaximus02; 03-21-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:49 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by VMaximus02
with that much horsepower/torque...a manual will produce way too much torque steer for a front wheel drive. The CVT and its programming are best to control the power output to the ground compare to manual shifting. Though a 5-speeds or the new 7-speeds w/rev matching from infiniti would be better suited for this application. That option won't happen due to marketing conflict with the Infiniti G35's.
torque steer on my LSD Maxima with ~250hp is virtually nonexistant. The big issue is spending the money to put a REAL LSD in there vs. an open diff and traction control that simply clamps down the brakes on the spinning wheel.
electronic nannies in a "driver's car" FTL.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:55 PM

i want a m/t for the simple fact that you have more control of the car, not because it's smoother or more advanced, i'm fine with the cvt, but give the option to people that want more control of the car, which i'm sure they will sooner or later. go nissan!
Old 03-21-2008, 03:32 PM

The new Maxima has 290 hp/261 lb/ft of torque. That is mighty too high for fwd application, even with LSD. For a trained driver, there are ways/techniques to elimiate torque steer but not all Maxima owners are blessed w/that driving skill. IMO, rwd + manual trans should belong in a vehicle with powerful engine output.

Syntax182, the optional paddle shift should gives a driver some control of the CVT transmission, not? The best way is to test drive the new "sport CVT" paddle-shift option first and see if it delivers the driver's control as advertise. Just think, no more clutch to push in a heavy congested traffic, hmmm.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Former Sponsor

shifting a CVT trans is I've driven the Murano and its ok but from what I've heard the paddle shift CVT on the Rogue for example is just weird...
Old 03-21-2008, 11:14 PM

damn the new maxima looks amazing.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:14 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by carnal_c30
shifting a CVT trans is I've driven the Murano and its ok but from what I've heard the paddle shift CVT on the Rogue for example is just weird...
The CVT in the roque was not tuned for sport.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:09 PM

Very nice looking. I'm looking forward to more details.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:37 PM

If you really think about This,Nissan wants to really base there cars on safety and relibility. It also makes sence why Nissan went with the 4DSC Instead of a RWD drive car,Remember this Is a family car/sports car not a race car with serious power and a rear wheel drive. In terms when Nissan was thinking about making there family car SAFE they knew that the FWD will be safe and better than a RWD,the proof Is in most case you can drive both equal power cars with same weight and one will be RWD and other will be a FWD now heres the difference,If your going to come down on a curving winding road and It's slick your Damn right the RWD will loose control and slip. If it were to be a FWD It would have power with handling to manuever the corners with minor slipping or too none. It also makes sence that Nissan went way off on the design department since 03 and If they kept It close they could of have a nice 6 and 7 gen MAX. When Nissan decided to make Altima there flagship car They knew that It was going to be bad why,because It started of with a maxima and that's where It got It's 4DCS name from and now Nissan Is going back with It for 09. I hope this car will be what the 4 and 5 and the early 6th gens had In term of comfort and power for an Auto.

Last edited by vqmaxman; 03-22-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:23 PM

4DSC is a label that will work ONLY if we can get a manual transmission.
I purchased an 06 Maxima because I could not get an 07 with manual transmission.
Even my wife said no to the CVT!
I am in the market for a new car and I want a manual transmission.
Nissan please keep the CVT as an option.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
you sound exactly like the 5th gen owners when the 6th gen came out
Ya, because both the 6th and 7th gen look fat and ugly compared to all previous generations.

I think the 7th gen is a step in the right direction but the design leaves much to be desired. It doesn't look like a Nissan. The headlights, grill, and tail are questionable IMO. I do like the side profile much better than the 6th gens. However, the design is just not cohesive or clean. The 08 Accord looks far cleaner and I wish Nissan could attain design at that level, but it seems to have escaped them years ago.

BTW no steering wheel will ever come close to the 97-99 SE steering wheel. Classic design, no stupid chrome emblem, great feel. It would be perfect if it had audio controls.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:10 PM

Thumbs Down

Look like a cross between a volvo S80 & the new accord. I bet they have no plans for a manual so I would not be interested anyway.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:21 PM
retired moderator

some random points/thoughts...

- for you 4DSC people...the sticker wasn't on the car at the show but it will have the stickers in the production model.
if I see one in person, I will make sure to scrape it off. "sports cars" of any type have manual transmissions. Period.

- 6spd is not offered. CVT trans only. it's enchanced for the Maxima application
the only way CVT could be enhanced is if it was changed to a stick with 6 speeds and reverse on it, and a clutch pedal. This is a dealkiller for me, regardless of anything else on the car.

- they all assured us that you need to drive it to really appreciate the car. they really wanted to focus the car to be a driver's car. the controls are within reach. the steering was made a little smaller. the added paddle shifter or steering wheel control shift control.
"driver's cars" have actual manual transmissions.

- the car has a nice dual sunroof feature which looks quite nice.
My sunroof in my maxima has fritzed out dozens of times since I bought the car. 2 sunroofs...meh. Also, I can honestly say I don't see the point of a sunroof for backseat, personally.

- Nissan looked at the Acura TL as a similar player in the market.
No matter how much Nissan wants it, Nissan = Honda, while Infiniti = Acura. It may not be true in terms of the cars, but it is in terms of image. People who are thinking of Acuras are also looking at Infinitis an Lexus, not Nissan and Toyota, IMO.

- gone is the 4X4 look from previous generations
Eibach and Tein will be very disappointed

- a sport/sporty suspension is available
waiting for more details on this...

- they also mentioned that nothing is set in stone. the car might change and some tweaks and enhancements may be made but i appreciate Nissan even spending some time and listening to us. you really can't say that for the other manufacturers.
tweaks and enhancements needed:
- get rid of the carbon fiber on handles, etc. That is straight rice.
- the center dash console area is possibly the ugliest I've ever seen on any car, EVAR! The CF looks like a cheap aftermarket add-on, the button arrangement is not attractive, and the navi screen looks terrible the way it is recessed.
- I like the shape/size of the steering wheel, but the "hub" section reminds me of "Buck Rogers" or "Battlestar Galactica"...cheesy.
- Otherwise, the interior looks fairly nice, if not particularly exciting.
- Those headlights....lame
- Front grille - makes me think of a Dodge pickup or something....to big, to square.
- Rear end - really, no part of it looks good. Looks like a poor man's 6-series (which also don't look good!)
- Again: NEEDS A 6MT, at least as an additional-cost option. Only 2 pedals = a dealbreaker as far as I'm concerned (I will note that my WIFE also says she would never buy a non-SUV car without a manual transmission).
Old 03-22-2008, 10:38 PM

At least it sets it apart from the altima

Cvt FTL.

Smyrnia Texas FTL.

Camry tailight's FTL

290hp FTW

Very Sexy interior FTW

Curious how many of them will turn out to be oil burning pos's though Overall though I think Nissan did good on it, I like it more than a 6th gen that's for sure, but would like to see an I35 version for better warranty and the made-in-japan quality. Nissan, throw in a 5 or 6 speed auto I35 and I'd get my mom in one in a heartbeat.

Last edited by KRRZ350; 03-22-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:57 PM

I think you all misread the "4DSC" sticker...it REALLY stands for "4-door SPORTY car".

Real sport cars don't come with fwd and cvt...they typically are rwd w/manual or at least a semi-automatic.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:54 PM

yeah true, i know what you're saying. i'm not knocking the cvt, i never test drove a car with one in it so i wouldn't know and i wouldn't make judgement on it just by reading about it, paddle shifter is a plus definitely. i'm just saying, they gave the option of m/t before and i don't understand why they can't give that same option now, it's not like it's some obsolete technology. i mean overall i like what they did with the car, it's just one little complaint that i have, can't wait to see one in person and maybe test drive it, i'm sure it's an awesome car.

and i like the clutch. it just feels awkward using every single limb on your body to drive a car except your left leg, no?

The new Maxima has 290 hp/261 lb/ft of torque. That is mighty too high for fwd application, even with LSD. For a trained driver, there are ways/techniques to elimiate torque steer but not all Maxima owners are blessed w/that driving skill. IMO, rwd + manual trans should belong in a vehicle with powerful engine output.

Syntax182, the optional paddle shift should gives a driver some control of the CVT transmission, not? The best way is to test drive the new "sport CVT" paddle-shift option first and see if it delivers the driver's control as advertise. Just think, no more clutch to push in a heavy congested traffic, hmmm.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:59 PM

typically they do but it's not set in stone. nissan is targeting a crowd that's different from someone that would buy a GTR or a Corvette.

and if what you said was a joke then ignore my comment. ha ha.

I think you all misread the "4DSC" sticker...it REALLY stands for "4-door SPORTY car".

Real sport cars don't come with fwd and cvt...they typically are rwd w/manual or at least a semi-automatic.

Last edited by syntax182; 03-23-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:51 AM

I would love to take it for a spin. The car is very attractive. It is a good transition from 6th gen to now.

Quick Reply: 2009 Maxima at the NY Auto Show