7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Trading 2k4 Murano > 2k9 Max...or 2k3 M5

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 05:58 AM

Trading 2k4 Murano > 2k9 Max...or 2k3 M5

Hey guys, the 2k9 Maxima is growing on me... I've been lurking for a while for a 2k3 M5, but considering I already have a summer car, the Maxima 2k9 is very appealing. I think Nissan did their homework with the 2k9, I seriously though my 2k1 would be my last Maxima but I'm re-considering the idea now, I mean I would like to test drive the 2k9 Max with 19" and fully loaded, apparently we will be very pleasantly surprise with this car behavior.

It seem to have received a lot of attention from the Nippon constructor and received many new technological evolution so I must consider it as my next car. My dilema, is that I dont want to sell my 2k1 ( I'm currently re-building it ) but my Murano is coming to a lease end in 3 months and I need a car to daily comute, so if I get the 2k3 M5 it's likely that I wont drive this car in winter, also I can only park one car in the garage and the 2k1 is standing on it and wont be ready before spring/summer 2009.

The more I think about all this the more i'm getting squeeze, I mean I can possibly sell the house and move to a bigger home with a 3-4 car garage right, but that would be a PITA to move the 2k1 since it stand on bloc now and it is naked at this time. The more I think the more it seem to be a wise choice to move on to the 2k9.

My wife think that I should forget about the M5 for now, well at least until my 2k1 is complete, and then decide if we sell the house and move on, then I'll be able to keep the 2k1 and buy the M5 but still I would have to drive my winter beater ( 97 sunfire ) all winter long wich is a PITA. I'm keeping this car for my daughter, she will be 16 this summer and will start to drive so I tough of giving her the car once she can drive alone.

That is my dilema for the moment, I'd like to hear from some of you who might be in a similar situation.

Cheers to all.

AA
Old 04-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Circumstances tend to resolve issues like this. Practicality and pressure will force the outcome if you don't act. It will force you to act and assume the route that just "happens."

At least that is what this seems like.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by bonzelite
Circumstances tend to resolve issues like this. Practicality and pressure will force the outcome if you don't act. It will force you to act and assume the route that just "happens."

At least that is what this seems like.
uhh, what? just let the murano go, hang tough for a few more months till the o9 hits the showroom test it then make your decision.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:22 PM

^^^^^^ Listen to him, he sounds like knows what he's talking about.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:04 AM

well from what I heard the Max should be out this summer so it should be perfect for you.. but if you were ever thinking to lease this car, you would be crazy to do it any sooner than dec or so. The Lease price would be insanely high. Same thing with the new Muranos. So if you want to be the first one on the block with it. Look to Finance
Old 04-05-2008, 05:47 AM

Here is my latest thoughts, I'll definitely give back the Murano, I could have bought it back but the transfer case is weak on the 2k4 Murano ( already been replace twice ) so I dont want to have to pay to replace it a third time wich will happend in another 1-2 years. Said so i'll give back the Murano either at the end of lease ( august ) or made a trade in june-july. I also consider driving my 97 Sunfire for a little less than a year, between august 08 to may-june 2009 and get the new 2K10 max at that time. I mean driving the Sunfire is no fun but the good aspect of it is once I've passed this suffering year driving this POS, I'll be able to buy the 2k10 and pay it cash. No payment and a brand new car sound very appealing to me. I' ve been spoiled for the last 10 years so I have a reasonable doubt thinking that I'll be able to wait another year before getting the new max but who know what reasoning can do sometime. One other important factor is the canadian currency value, it is higher then it ever been, so I cant wait to see how Nissan will adjust the canadian price on the new maxi. I've heard they might sell it around 32-35K US so theoretically it should translate in similar cdn srp right ? If the 2k9 maxi sell for 32-35K CDN I'll get one as soon as it hit the market, but let me guess that Nissan will find a way to keep the price higher in Canada.

I just checked out the difference between US & CDN price, euh US are 22-25% lower than Canadian price, gee that's a lot of cash.

Somebody has to tell Nissan Canada, that beside canoe & snow we have high speed internet...Lol

Last edited by doublea; 04-05-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:01 AM

Maxima vs M5... Grocery Getter vs Evo magazine's greatest driver's car... hmm let me think about that one

M5

There is no reason why it should be your "summer car" - throw some winter rubber on there, keep esp on, and you're all set, unless you are the sh!ttiest driver ever.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:05 AM

M5 without a doubt... but to ease your decision, wait a few months until the '09 Maxima is in showrooms, then testdrive them both.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:14 AM

I've been driving car in snow for more than 30 years and never got into an accident in winter so I shouldn't be that bad of a driver. Lol

I though the M5 is not that great on snow versus a front wheel drive maxima but I can drive the M5 only when the roads are clear in winter. I still have my winter beater but driving an M5 then moving to the Sunfire is slap in the face. Anyway I'll test drive both and take my decision after.

I was under the impression the M5 is not that great in winter since it's rwd, never had a rwd in snow so I dont know what to expect.

Thanks for your input
Old 04-08-2008, 07:27 AM

My father once ran a ~2000lbs rwd car on literally bald tires all winter long. It was a pita but doable...
Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by doublea
I've been driving car in snow for more than 30 years and never got into an accident in winter so I shouldn't be that bad of a driver. Lol

I though the M5 is not that great on snow versus a front wheel drive maxima but I can drive the M5 only when the roads are clear in winter. I still have my winter beater but driving an M5 then moving to the Sunfire is slap in the face. Anyway I'll test drive both and take my decision after.

I was under the impression the M5 is not that great in winter since it's rwd, never had a rwd in snow so I dont know what to expect.

Thanks for your input
I am sure a 2003 M5 would come with traction control... or some sort of stability control option.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:40 AM

Even if I like the M5, the 2k9 is a real nice car, certainly not as performant as the M5 but that is not the only criteria to buy a car. I mean 2k9 will have more recent technology and a fresh style, but at the end it will all come down to what I can get for the money.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:13 AM

Recent technology? What technology do you need that the M5 doesnt have? And that gen M5s are gorgeous
Old 04-09-2008, 06:14 PM

have money for repairs and maint ?
Old 04-09-2008, 06:19 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

2k4 Murano > 2k9 Max...or 2k3 M5

These three things should never be combined in the same sentence.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Sold

One other important factor is the canadian currency value, it is higher then it ever been, so I cant wait to see how Nissan will adjust the canadian price on the new maxi. I've heard they might sell it around 32-35K US so theoretically it should translate in similar cdn srp right ? If the 2k9 maxi sell for 32-35K CDN I'll get one as soon as it hit the market, but let me guess that Nissan will find a way to keep the price higher in Canada.

I just checked out the difference between US & CDN price, euh US are 22-25% lower than Canadian price, gee that's a lot of cash.
a few things you should be aware of:
1) currency experts believe that the current "strength" of the canadian loonie is going to be falling. They are not talking about 80 cents or anything like that, what they are talking about is 92 by then end of the year and around 88 by the end of '09. That's still really good, but not as good as it has been when it was at par or higher. At this moment (8:30pm mst 04/09/08) the canuckbuck is trading at 1.01825 against the ameribuck.
2) Nissan needed to hire a whole department to translate the english manual to french and also to program the voice recognition software so that it will understand french. There is you 22% difference in price. It will be a very hot day in the Yukon before you see the 09 maxima priced out at 32,000 I am sure. In fact an 08 is selling for 33,088 starting. Plus all the extra fees. PDI, taxes, taxes, tire tax, a/c excise tax, and some financing taxes that I don't even know about....
If your that concerned about saving huge amounts of $$$$ import it. Find a dealership that will ship it to you and complete all the paperwork for the border police. I don't believe you will have warranty, but I could be mistaken on that last point.

good luck
Old 04-10-2008, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by LeVeL
Recent technology? What technology do you need that the M5 doesnt have? And that gen M5s are gorgeous
I mean the cvt with paddle shift and all the improvement this car is getting, wether it's the stiffened chassis, the shorter wheel base, 35 more HP and such. The M5 I might get is the 2k3 so for the winter driving the max has a length of advance but for the sportiness of the car we all know the M5 is almost unbeatable.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by BluFlame
have money for repairs and maint ?
The BMW parts are quite expensive but made of very good quality, on the other side Nissan parts are sometime cheaper for what they are but not cheap to buy. The cost of repair is not really a factor here since I can fix pretty much everything myself, of course with the bimmer I will have to learn everythin about it since I have been driving Nissan car for the last 10 years +. The driving test of both car will play a big role in my final decision as they will come to about the same price.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by mtrai760
2k4 Murano > 2k9 Max...or 2k3 M5

These three things should never be combined in the same sentence.
In my situation they do, cus I'll have to either trade the Murano or give it back and the only car that attract my attention now is the 2k9 Max & 2k3 or 2k5 M5.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by JSMax
a few things you should be aware of:
1) currency experts believe that the current "strength" of the canadian loonie is going to be falling. They are not talking about 80 cents or anything like that, what they are talking about is 92 by then end of the year and around 88 by the end of '09. That's still really good, but not as good as it has been when it was at par or higher. At this moment (8:30pm mst 04/09/08) the canuckbuck is trading at 1.01825 against the ameribuck.
2) Nissan needed to hire a whole department to translate the english manual to french and also to program the voice recognition software so that it will understand french. There is you 22% difference in price. It will be a very hot day in the Yukon before you see the 09 maxima priced out at 32,000 I am sure. In fact an 08 is selling for 33,088 starting. Plus all the extra fees. PDI, taxes, taxes, tire tax, a/c excise tax, and some financing taxes that I don't even know about....
If your that concerned about saving huge amounts of $$$$ import it. Find a dealership that will ship it to you and complete all the paperwork for the border police. I don't believe you will have warranty, but I could be mistaken on that last point.

good luck
I share a good amount of what you are saying. My best guess is that the 2k9 fully loaded with 19" will be sold for 40 - 45K here in Mtl. I got my 2k1 in october 2000 and it costed me 38 000$ CDN + taxes. If the 2k9 sell for that high it's will be a no brainer and I'll go get a clean low mileage M5 in Arizona in feb 09, end of story. But in any eventuality that it will be available for let say 35-37K CDN that maybe a decision factor with the test drive of the 2k9 since I've driven the M5 2K3 and 2k6 in a few occasion and wow but that will be a tough call.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:07 AM

I'd go for the 03 M5
Old 04-10-2008, 07:41 AM
brotherhood of tq

so what is your summer car? if you say its your 01 maxima then you are nuts. i would sell the max the suv and pimp your wife out if need be to own the m5.

i dont even see how you can compare buying a m5 or a fwd maxima....those are just two odd cars to consider at the same time.

and i drove a c class for many winters here and i naver had an issue. its all about the tires you put on the rear if you cant drive to well.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:26 AM

[QUOTE=liqidvenom;6346426]so what is your summer car? if you say its your 01 maxima then you are nuts. i would sell the max the suv and pimp your wife out if need be to own the m5.

I've been rebuilding my 2k1 car for a year and a half so if you wanna check what I'm doing here is the thread: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=547228

i dont even see how you can compare buying a m5 or a fwd maxima....those are just two odd cars to consider at the same time.

These are the only 2 cars I'm considering to buy, but you have to remember that my daily driver is the Murano, once gone I need a car to daily comute.

and i drove a c class for many winters here and i naver had an issue. its all about the tires you put on the rear if you cant drive to well.

I guess the M5 would not be that bad to drive in winter after all. In worst case I can take my wife Rogue or use our winter beater when there is to much snow on the ground.

Last edited by doublea; 04-10-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:45 AM

Dont forget that the M5 is still a big, quiet, luxurious 5-ser bimmer... why cant you do daily commute in it?
Old 04-11-2008, 11:43 AM

Tell me about it, there is not a single day that I wake up and dont dream to see the M5 in the home drive way, but still the new max is some how very sexy, not as much powerful as the M5 but if the 2k9 max can fulfill some expectation then it may be my next car.

Again driving the 2k9 is going to be the ultimate test to influence my decision. I would say as of now it's 70/30 for the M5, since I drove the car and know how it behave and what it is capable of. Something I cant say for the 2k9 max until I drive the car, probably in June.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:12 PM

I just want to know how many automobiles you and your wife are in possesion of as of now. If I am counting correctly, you have 4 vehicles. I counted a Rogue, 2k1 Max, Sunfire, and a Murano.

That's 3 Nissans and 1 Pontiac. Sounds like someone is Nissan loyal to me. Forget the BMW and just get the 09 Maxima!
Old 04-11-2008, 01:40 PM

Hey nlt624, yes you are correct we have 4 cars as you stated. But the Murano is going in 4 months. To be very honest until I saw the 2k9 I was going to get the M5 but since I saw the new 2K9 I was like wow, it make me think that this might be a very good car for me as well. I mean my 2k1 once finished will be putting anywhere from 325 to 400 HP to the ground + so do I need another 400 HP car ? The answer is obvious but now that I can afford an M5 it's hard to let it go. The driving experience of the 2k9 will either make me get one or walk away to get the M5, it will be one way or another.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:01 PM

Hey guys, the 2k9 Maxima is growing on me... I've been lurking for a while for a 2k3 M5, but considering I already have a summer car, the Maxima 2k9 is very appealing. I think Nissan did their homework with the 2k9, I seriously though my 2k1 would be my last Maxima but I'm re-considering the idea now, I mean I would like to test drive the 2k9 Max with 19" and fully loaded, apparently we will be very pleasantly surprise with this car behavior.

It seem to have received a lot of attention from the Nippon constructor and received many new technological evolution so I must consider it as my next car. My dilema, is that I dont want to sell my 2k1 ( I'm currently re-building it ) but my Murano is coming to a lease end in 3 months and I need a car to daily comute, so if I get the 2k3 M5 it's likely that I wont drive this car in winter, also I can only park one car in the garage and the 2k1 is standing on it and wont be ready before spring/summer 2009.

The more I think about all this the more i'm getting squeeze, I mean I can possibly sell the house and move to a bigger home with a 3-4 car garage right, but that would be a PITA to move the 2k1 since it stand on bloc now and it is naked at this time. The more I think the more it seem to be a wise choice to move on to the 2k9.

My wife think that I should forget about the M5 for now, well at least until my 2k1 is complete, and then decide if we sell the house and move on, then I'll be able to keep the 2k1 and buy the M5 but still I would have to drive my winter beater ( 97 sunfire ) all winter long wich is a PITA. I'm keeping this car for my daughter, she will be 16 this summer and will start to drive so I tough of giving her the car once she can drive alone.

That is my dilema for the moment, I'd like to hear from some of you who might be in a similar situation.

Cheers to all.

AA
wow thats quite the Dilemma......married and your wife listens to you when you talk about cars.....have kids......have the option to move, and only care about moving the car not EVERY THING IN YOUR HOUSE!!!!. I think this is not a dilemma it is a situation where you should take your time. I would say dont get another sports car what a waist. just look at how the GT-R is doing with a only auto tranny I think the new maxima with be a blast and much more fun than the beemer only cause you can drive your family around in it comfortably. but there is one problem your daughters boy friend cant take her out to prom in it.....

I feel so bad for your problems......
Old 04-20-2008, 07:45 PM

I would definitely say get the M5. That is my dream car in the high 20 to low 30K range. But to be on the safe side, I think just wait till the new Maxima comes out, test drive it, drive an M5 and then make your decision. Good luck! I would be damn happy with either choice!

The 2k9 maxima is automatic transmission only though isn't it?
Old 04-21-2008, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by hot_wax_tree
wow thats quite the Dilemma......married and your wife listens to you when you talk about cars.....have kids......have the option to move, and only care about moving the car not EVERY THING IN YOUR HOUSE!!!!. I think this is not a dilemma it is a situation where you should take your time. I would say dont get another sports car what a waist. just look at how the GT-R is doing with a only auto tranny I think the new maxima with be a blast and much more fun than the beemer only cause you can drive your family around in it comfortably. but there is one problem your daughters boy friend cant take her out to prom in it.....

I feel so bad for your problems......
Oh man the Skyline GT-R would be an awesome car to get but to be honest I cant put so much money in a single car, that would not be a wise choice considering other priority. My daughter will start university in 2 years and you guys know how the tuition can be costly.

When come the time to take my decision I'll stay within my budget ( 30-40 K ) and who know maybe the Skyline would be the self gift for my retirement in about 7-8 years. Lol
Old 04-21-2008, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by modenaf1
I would definitely say get the M5. That is my dream car in the high 20 to low 30K range. But to be on the safe side, I think just wait till the new Maxima comes out, test drive it, drive an M5 and then make your decision. Good luck! I would be damn happy with either choice!

The 2k9 maxima is automatic transmission only though isn't it?
Already owning a nice 2k1, the M5 is definitely in my target but who know what will happend when I test drive the 2k9 max, but one way or another will make me happy.

Thanks.

AA
Old 04-22-2008, 02:02 PM

Oh man the Skyline GT-R would be an awesome car to get but to be honest I cant put so much money in a single car, that would not be a wise choice considering other priority. My daughter will start university in 2 years and you guys know how the tuition can be costly.

When come the time to take my decision I'll stay within my budget ( 30-40 K ) and who know maybe the Skyline would be the self gift for my retirement in about 7-8 years. Lol
i wasnt saying get a skyline I was just saying that the tranny is also auto and it is selling very well and I have heard only good things so I would say that even though the tranny in the max is different it will probably still be a good choice
Old 04-23-2008, 04:52 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Why would anyone compare an M5 to a Nissan is beyond me.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by KLOOGY
Why would anyone compare an M5 to a Nissan is beyond me.
not me.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:51 AM

In no way i ever compared an M5 to the Max, but when come the time to buy a car many aspect can be taken into consideration. The 2003 M5 and the 2K9 max are about the same price but there is many aspect that wont cost the same, maintenance, gas, insurance etc. The only comparison that I wanted to refer to is the purchasing price.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:21 PM

never say never..i said i never got tickets n got piled with 5 tickets in a 2 weeks lol...but if i was you i would get the M5, leave the max ...n get ur daughter sumthin new n cheap like a scion or sumthin

Thanks for your input
Old 04-30-2008, 10:44 PM

doublea - I drove RWD vehicles in snow many times between 1949 and 1984, and I can assure you that, unless you are on level ground and moving slowly, RWD is the pits on anything frozen.

By contrast, since I switched to Maximas exclusively (Oct 1984), I have not been afraid to drive in snow whenever I needed to. For me, the difference between FWD and RWD in snow was profound.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:10 AM

I also think that driving a rwd in snow is a pita, for the snow condition the awd is ideal but a front wheel drive car with winter tire is much better than the rwd.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:52 PM

just get the maxima and be done you dont need a coupe when you have a family when the kids go to college then buy a m5. plus you cant work on a m5 on your own.....
Old 05-07-2008, 05:15 AM

Everyone that I've talk about getting a 09 max or 03 M5 are suggesting that I get a brand new max instead of the used M5. I believe the 09 max is rated at 22 mpg in the city and 29 mpg on the highway, I believe it is also considered as a low emission vehicle. I mean I couldn't care less about the price of gas but at 1.38$ per litre it's far from being cheap, some expert over here are saying we can expect to see the gas climb at 2.00$/ litre in a not so far days and probably 3.00$/litre within 18 months to 2 years. If the gas climb as much as it has been predicted, just going back and forth to the office with the M5 could cost me like 500$ + per months in gas. Can you imagine spending 6000$ per year of gas just to daily commute, that is far from being reasonable & smart.

This will probably be the last car I buy that run on gas, the way I see it, in 5 years from now the price of gas is going to be so high that buying a V8 or any car running ont gas will not make any sense at all. Even if you are rich it's not going to stop the damage we are doing to this planet. I have to admit that the price of gas or the effect of gas on our planet was far in my priority but this has recently changed as it is still time to save our life and community by making smart choice.

Quick Reply: Trading 2k4 Murano > 2k9 Max...or 2k3 M5