7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Double Panel Roof, how does it work?

Old 04-09-2008, 07:43 PM

Double Panel Roof, how does it work?

So my question is this...
If you have the double panel roof, when you open the front section, does this section go up and out or down and in?

Know what I mean?
This: (sorry for the prius)

or this:

or even possibly this?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:52 PM

It goes up like the 09 Murano.

This info comes from a Nissan insider:

Rear roof cannot be opened. Both sunshades are electrically driven, come from the middle section, and are are not independent.

Pushing forward on the switch two clicks closes the roof and the sunshades.
Pushing forward on the switch one click closes the roof.
Pushing up on the switch slightly cracks the roof (vent).
Pushing rearward on the switch one click opens the sunshades.
Pushing rearward on the switch two clicks opens the roof fully.

I think this is the same as the Murano dual panel roof.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:34 AM

will work exactly like the E and S-Class Benz's and the Lexus ES350, nothing but a normal sunroof with the rest of the roof made out of glass panels
Old 04-10-2008, 05:30 PM

i guess skyview didnt really cut it?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:11 PM

yea its a no brainer. just google Scion TC or Murano lol
Old 04-11-2008, 07:41 AM

The one at the Dallas Auto Show had the roof open, and the front section raises up and slides back over the rear part of the roof.

IOW, it's out there flapping in the breeze. The idea of a double sunroof is nice, but I don't like it hanging out there above the roof.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:05 AM

I agree with Mike_TX, on my fathers ES350 the roof is cut in 3 sections, the front (1st) which is about 6 inches raises up to become a wind shield, and the 2nd the actual sunroof panel opens up and sits on the outside of the car, looks really weird to see such a set up on an expensive car.

I don't care for it, hope this link works, this is an ES350 UL with the panoramic sunroof
Old 04-13-2008, 07:26 PM

Very few folks drive freeway speeds with their sunroof open, so this convoluted arrangement subtracts more on style points than on functionality.

I do intend to have this on my '09, as I sometimes like to try new things. Nissan would not have made this option available unless some of their testing and surveying indicated it worked and some folks liked it a lot.

But I can understand that some discriminating drivers would not feel this sunroof in its open position was in keeping with the overall smooth profile of the '09 Maxima.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:43 PM

I think they should've made this an option & give the regular moonroof as standard.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Very few folks drive freeway speeds with their sunroof open, so this convoluted arrangement subtracts more on style points than on functionality.

I do intend to have this on my '09, as I sometimes like to try new things. Nissan would not have made this option available unless some of their testing and surveying indicated it worked and some folks liked it a lot.

But I can understand that some discriminating drivers would not feel this sunroof in its open position was in keeping with the overall smooth profile of the '09 Maxima.
The sunroof doesn't open like the pic STARR has posted of the ES350. It opens more like the 3rd pic that BLULYTES posted up above. I also saw it at the Dallas car show and it was open and looked very sleek in the open position. You couldn't even tell it was open unless you were looking from above or inside the car.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by MAX828
I think they should've made this an option & give the regular moonroof as standard.
I think it is an option depending on if you get the S or SV. Im not really sure which one comes with it standard and which one comes with the moonroof. Also does anyone know which is supposed to be the sportier of the two? (S or SV) They should have just brought back the SE, but maybe they will bring the SE back as a manual trans.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:52 AM

MAXIMAK99 - Thank you for the very good news on the sunroof situation. Your version sounds much better than what I had thought.

As info, the power moonroof is standard on ALL '09 Maximas; even the most basic versions. The dual roof system is part of the optional Premium package. Thankfully, VDC is also standard on all '09 Maximas.

Building our '09 Maxima will be a tad more complex than anything we have done with previous Maximas. I keep reading over the blurbs from Nissan, and things get somewhat complex, but not unmanagebly so. In a nutshell (leaving out lots of things):

Moving from the 'S' to the 'SV' gives us leather sport seats, a nine speaker premium Bosch audio system, Homelink transceiver, fog lights, outside mirrors with turn signal indicators.

Adding the 'Sport' package (the old 'SE'?) gives us a special sport-tuned suspension, 19" wheels, rear spoiler, HID Zenon headlamps, heated outside mirrors with reverse tilt-down, auto entry/exit with dual memory function, heated front seats and steering wheel, paddle shifters, premium leather seats, Bluetooth hands-off system, satellite technology, etc.

Adding the 'Premium' package (the old 'SL'?) gives us the dual panel moonroof, HID Zenon headlamps, heated outside mirrors with reverse tilt-down, auto entry/exit with dual memory, heated front seats and steering wheel, paddle shifters, premium leather seats, Eucalyptus wood-tone trim, 7" color monitor, rear view monitor, Bluetooth hands-off system, satellite technology, etc.

There are also several tech packages available. The 3.5 SV Tech Package gives us a hard drive navi system with voice recognition, 9.3 GB music box hard drive, XM/Nav realtime traffic info, 7" color monitor, rearview monitor, interface system for IPOD, etc.

Outfitting our '09 may be a little more complex than it might have been, but these packages sort of correspond to the packages we have had with recent Maximas. The many variations mean dealers will not be able to stock all possible versions, much less in all colors. Smaller dealers will be at a disadvantage. Some buyers will either have to 'settle' or order exactly what they want from the factory and wait for months.

But this will not keep me from getting what I want, as I can easily reach over a hundred Nissan dealers with a one day's drive, and will keep checking each dealer's inventory (online, of course) until I spot exactly the Maxima I want.

I am already feeling the excitement.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 04-15-2008 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:50 AM

So we cannot get the rearview monitor if we do not get the navigation system?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:04 AM

bb700092 - I'm not sure about all the details, but the rear view monitor IS included in the PREMIUM package without the navi. I would have hoped it would have also been included in the SPORTS package without the navi, but at 'first review', I don't see it listed. That sort of disappoints, because many here on the ORG will be opting for the SPORTS package instead of the PREMIUM package.

It may be that one could add both the SPORTS and PREMIUM packages, which would give the rear view monitor but not the navi. I did the equivalent of that in 1999 when I bought my '00; I added the GLE package on top of an SE, so I had the sporty Maxima with all the GLE options.

Hopefully, there may be a tech package of some sort that will include the rear view monitor without the pricey navi stuff.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Very sound, Mike

Light, if the Murano is of any indication on packages, the rear view monitor will indeed be included with the Premium package. The '09 Murano seems to be the starting point for some of the new direction Nissan is heading so it's very likely that the Max will follow similar packages/bundling of features.

As for many on the .Org opting for sport, unfortunately that still isn't the majority of the buyers for Maxima's. So it is unlikely that they'll move that monitor to that package (however, i am hopeful). Even the G35 sedans are selling faster in base and Journey trims than the Sport or a Journey with Sport packages.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Found an interesting review of the 09 Maxima on Nihoncar.com. You can tell from the writing they really love the new Max as do I.
http://www.nihoncar.com/en/news-763-...+to+Bite!.html

Was speaking to my dealer today. 1st deliveries (June timeframe) will be on allocation meaning dealers pretty much have to take what the factory gives them. Was also told initial shipments will likely be fully optioned and you'll be able to configure your own soon after.

Already have my local dealer working with area mfg rep to see if we can get a fully optioned Precison Gray / Caffe Latte interior for me to take possession of in June.

Can't wait!!!
Old 04-22-2008, 06:39 PM

Saw it today at atlanta auto show. It was on a platform, so couldn't sit in it. The dual moonroof is an "outie" and it looks very clunky, I wouldn't be surprised if it generates a lot of wind noise. Most people will keep it closed.

Overall car looks great, esp. the front end. Grill is a bit large (like the mouth of a whale shark), from a distance it resembles 02-07 Q45 front end (the grill droops a bit).

Looks like rear headroom will be tighter than current Max, the roofline slopes off quickly and the resting point for your head is almost at the rear window. I would consider buying 09+ max over a G sedan if it had significantly more usable interior room (esp headroom), but looks like that will not be the case.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:45 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

some images I found on dual panel roofs...pics are of a 2009 Murano.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:34 PM

double panel roofs are sick
Old 05-08-2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
. . . Looks like rear headroom will be tighter than current Max, the roofline slopes off quickly and the resting point for your head is almost at the rear window. I would consider buying 09+ max over a G sedan if it had significantly more usable interior room (esp headroom), but looks like that will not be the case.
I suspected this would be the case when I first saw the profile pictures of the new Max. Thanks for confirming my suspisions.

I like the outside look this profile provides, but it certainly does cut down on rear seat head room.
Just another reason to drive my 04 for the maximum mileage (circa 200 K) before I consider a replacement.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think I prefer the fixed moon roof.
Had many a operable moonroof and they are a problem waiting to happen. Epically in Northern climates. Moving parts, gaskets, noise......
Old 10-06-2008, 07:41 PM

09 Max Prem+Tech

Luv the dual roof!! It is sweet!!!