7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

All car mags Reviews 2009 Maxima

Old 05-28-2008, 10:34 AM

14.7 et is not impressive at all, 5.5 gen manuals do that. heck even a 4g with full exhaust and manual tranny can come close to it.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:34 PM
aka The Doom Ship

All of these reviews are very preliminary with very little detail.

I said I wouldn't get another black car but damn; that 09 looks good.

I like the equal length shafts idea.

Big question though; How with the CVT behave with mods especially boost. Can you imagine turbo boost without blowoff?
Old 05-28-2008, 01:37 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by BluFlame
14.7 et is not impressive at all, 5.5 gen manuals do that. heck even a 4g with full exhaust and manual tranny can come close to it.
Stock 5.5 gen autos do that all day. Neal did better than that on a stock 4th gen MT.

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
Can you imagine turbo boost without blowoff?
Blow off is more a function of throttle plate / boost, so it should not be affected.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:42 PM
aka The Doom Ship

What I really meant was constant boost through all "ratios". No drop in power to shift gears.

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Stock 5.5 gen autos do that all day. Neal did better than that on a stock 4th gen MT.

Blow off is more a function of throttle plate / boost, so it should not be affected.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:56 PM
dot dot dot ...

What I really meant was constant boost through all "ratios". No drop in power to shift gears.
That be awesome.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:07 PM
SuPeRmOd

MT sucks at test driving.

why didn't Nissan advertise their times?
Old 05-28-2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by soundmike
Although you do have a point, i think there's more to this than meets the eye. The production version of the 7th gen just rolled out yesterday, MT and Edmunds tested this car sometime back which makes me think it's a late pre-production vehicle. That could mean some things could still be tweaked.

Of course, the review also doesn't really say much about how the steering and overall chassis feels - that will have to be something each one of us will need to experience behind the wheel. Sort of how the Mazda3 has "ok" numbers, but get behind the wheel and you'll understand what all the craze is about.

Nissan was going for the overall package with the 7th gen, not to be best in any specific category, but to provide the best mix of everything--for the price.

Although i still like the 7th gen myself, Edmunds video of the 1/4 mile run dismayed me. I don't know why, especially considering that i also have a Murano, but the CVT drone at a constant rev range really takes the aural sportiness of the Maxima. There's just something about hearing the revs climb that makes things that much more exciting.
I agree with you. I also think the 1/4 mph is ok not as good as i thought it would be ( 1/4 time is not) and the 0-60's so far are not impressive. In that respect it just not that much different if at all and actually slower than a few test of the 5.5-6.5 gen auto's

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 05-29-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:42 AM
Very sound, Mike

Comparison Test: Maxima vs. G8 GT

And it begins!
Motor Trend
Old 05-29-2008, 05:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

soundmike good article, the maxima is starting to seem out of place now. I have a 6th gen which was cool till the altima se-r came out. then the camry, then the g8, next will be the mazda 6. i know the maxima will have better materials. but they G8 cant see my material when im far behind it. and it sucks when economic cars like the altima and camry can keep up with me. and starting at 31k base, one comparibly equipped to mine would be closer to 34k. i can get a slightly used 07 G35 for about the same. I guess ill either wait for the SR maxima specs are released to make final judgement or even the deisel maxima.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:30 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by NismoMax80

why didn't Nissan advertise their times?
As of late, it's all computer simulated FTL.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by soundmike
MotorTrend
Full Frontal: Nissan aims to redefine the limits of FWD performance

I don't really care too much for the view from the front. The side view almost reminds me of a BMW.

Surprised they put a picture of the car going around a corner not staying in their own lane.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
it's an auto, whats there to know ?

i think nissan reached the performance limit of the maxima fwd architecture with the 5.5 gen, and there wont be any future gen that's alot faster than what we had in '02.
I'm sure they will improve interior and extrerior designs but as far as accelaration numbers go, i think maxima hit the glass ceiling.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by amtrucker22
I don't really care too much for the view from the front. The side view almost reminds me of a BMW.

Surprised they put a picture of the car going around a corner not staying in their own lane.
Theres a female driving what do you expect.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:46 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Damn, they called the CVT performance "quirky".
Old 05-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Very sound, Mike

it's an auto, whats there to know ?

i think nissan reached the performance limit of the maxima fwd architecture with the 5.5 gen, and there wont be any future gen that's alot faster than what we had in '02.
I'm sure they will improve interior and extrerior designs but as far as accelaration numbers go, i think maxima hit the glass ceiling.
I don't know, although these are all preliminaries, i think Nissan should be able to pull more out of it. Think about it, the Acura TL-S is a FWD sports sedan as well but it's one of *the* best FWD vehicles in the class/price. The numbers on the slightly less powerful TL-S is still better than that of the Max. I think it was R&T that tested it against the IS350 and G35, it was slower for sure, but it bested them in G's.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:36 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Just for the record, an auto transmission is not the problem. The 07' G35 sedan auto does the 1/4 mile in 13.8 stock.

It's disturbing that the Maxima took a back seat to any Pontiac.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Very sound, Mike

I wouldn't be bothered by that too much. They are, after all, comparing two different vehicles that aren't evenly equipped--Engine or otherwise.

I'll betcha, if they brought the V6 G8 in the comparo, the G8 would lose on speed alone, especially since the Max already won in the other areas (p2 of the article).
Old 05-29-2008, 12:41 PM

Just for the record, an auto transmission is not the problem. The 07' G35 sedan auto does the 1/4 mile in 13.8 stock.

Its a V8 and RWD for Christ sakes...what did you expect?

Disturbing? Hell no, expected outcome is more like it...
Old 05-29-2008, 01:29 PM

Wow! Apples and oranges doesn't even begin to cover this. I can't believe Motor Trend has lowered themselves to testing a RWD V8 powered rocket against a FWD v6 sporty family sedan, with the family sedan not even in its sport dress (sport package, 19' wheels, performance tires, etc) that every buyer interested in performance will be buying.

And I thought politics had become rather rotten. Shame on Motor trend for promulgating this rigged exercise in futility on the public. Shame.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Too bad there are so many here who won't consider anything but a manual. Especially when less than 5% of Maxima buyers opted for the manual when it was available.
Whatever.

Thats because only 2% of the 6th Gen Maximas built by NIssan were 6 speeds. In fact, when i was shopping for the car, I actually had a dealer tell me they didnt make a 6 speed manual (even though i told I had driven one!!).

Like color, rims, style, etc., everyone has an opinion. There may be a few of us manual guys who will miss out on the 09's other attributes. I suppose its our loss, but to me, and some others, a manual tranny is important to the driving experience (or in my case purposeful since I compete [and win] in a manual tranny car).

My needs have changed now that my kids are grown. I dont need 4 doors. When and if the time is right, a bright red 6 speed 370Z/G37 is more suitable for me.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:53 PM
aka The Doom Ship

American V8 and RWD doesn't automatically mean win. Come on now, you should know that.

MT said the G8 handled better too.

Originally Posted by Fast1one
Its a V8 and RWD for Christ sakes...what did you expect?

Disturbing? Hell no, expected outcome is more like it...
Old 05-29-2008, 02:04 PM

Personally I think the 09 Maxima is a better looking car than the G8. Just my opinion. Speed doesn't matter to me that much, since I don't drive that fast. What does matter to me is that the car has a smooth and quiet ride. I'm hoping for more of a luxury feel from the new Maxima, which is kind of what it looks like Nissan is striving for???
Old 05-29-2008, 02:43 PM

guys, both G8 and max cost about the same, they will be cross-shopped.
comparison is valid, i shop with my budget.

With altima v6 covering bottom and g35 sedan top portion of the spectrum the new maxima has no place to go, it just became a niche vehicle like article said.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:57 PM

I have to say that I am a bit surprised by the MT numbers. I know we dont have many full test but am i mistaken or didnt car n driver have a much better 0-60 amd 1/4 times? I am one that will wait until more complete testing is done before judgment.

As for the comparinson to the G8 and other cars in the class. I am not one that worries about a top speed since I will not be driving that fast in NYC. I am somewhat consern with 0-60 times as for a car in the 31-37K price range I would like my monies worth. I am more conserned with the interior of the car, I am a big toys and gadgets junkie. I like to have a nice interior and I already love the exterior of the car. I do not think many other cars in the class offer the same interior for the same price as the maxima. But everyone has to choose what they are looking for in a car and get one that matches your desire. If the Maxima is not for you then get what will make you happy. I always say that the one of the most important things for me is that I must have a car that I want to drive when I get out of bed.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Very sound, Mike

guys, both G8 and max cost about the same, they will be cross-shopped.
comparison is valid, i shop with my budget.

With altima v6 covering bottom and g35 sedan top portion of the spectrum the new maxima has no place to go, it just became a niche vehicle like article said.
It's true, they will be cross-shopped, but they are not in the same class nor do they even come close to offering the same creature comforts. One is a muscle car, the other a luxury-sport sedan.

The Altima V6 is a Nissan, it covers that end of the spectrum. The G35 is the entry level Infiniti and it covers that brands spectrum as well. The Maxima falls in between just perfect.

If you think the car "has no place to go" think of when the Maxima and I35 co-existed. Both cars still sold very well.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think there is too mucj competition with the max now. If people are looking for best performance under 40k its either a G35 or a G8. Best performance for a FWD V6, theres the camry, altima, acura tl type s, and soon to be the new mazda 6. It has become a niche vehicle. just happens to be my niche. the SR trim still hasnt been released yet. I am pretty confident the SR trim will have a little more power, a little lighter, and hopefully a manual tranny. I was hoping for a V8 in the maxima, like an entry level M45, with a detuned version of the 4.5 v8, 300HP+300ft./lbs, for 37k you can get a 300c srt 8, a fully loaded G8, a G35, maybe even a used 335i. I could of sworn the first maximas had rwd, please correct me if im wrong, the first maxima i drove in was an '90 maxima when i was 5 yrs old. the first maxima i drove was an 96 and the first i owned was a 2001, then a 2003, and now a 6th gen. as i get older Ive been looking for more bang for my buck because the maxima cannot keep up with its competition anymore. I havent driven the new maxima yet though, so maybe the car mags are under rating everything because its not a BMW.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:15 PM
SmokinMaxSE

I'm sure GM is loving that review and while the G8 is faster an more powerful, I don't like it. It looks like a four door GTO and both look cheap to me. Side by side one car looks cheap and the other looks like you can drive your lady to a social gathering...
Old 05-29-2008, 06:27 PM

markiemark8585 - The only RWD Maximas were the first gens - '81 thru '84. Of course the Datsun 810 from the late '70s, which the first Maxima replaced, was also RWD.

The first mass-produced FWD drive car I had experience with was the '66 Olds Toronado, which probably had over 3,000 lbs of weight on the front tires alone. After a few test-drives, I opted for an Olds Delta 88 4 door instead. The Delta 88 got better MPG than the Toronado - In many years of driving the Delta 88 (really big engine), I averaged around 8 MPG in town and 11 MPG on the highway with premium-only fuel. The tank held 25 gallons.

There will be those strict performance-oriented souls here on the ORG who may do comparative buying between the Pontiac and the Maxima, But 95% of the general public will not be doing comparative buying between these vehicles from different classes - a rugged, noisy power-oriented RWD muscle car vs a polished and refined sports/luxury family sedan.

I would still have been interesed in having Motor Trend test the handling of the sports version of the Maxima instead of the sedate smaller-wheel softer riding 'premium' version. But then they couldn't take a chance on a family sedan handling as well as a rugged RWD muscle car with a V8 engine. That would have been tantamount to emasculation.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by VQHP
1.High price, at 37 Geez
2.No 6spd
3.Top speed at 132 MPH
4.Front wheel drive
5.Too heavy
6.No way [F#%k that]........5.5 Gens and 6 Gens FTW!!!!
Yeah... you drive 133 MPH regularly, don't you?
Old 05-29-2008, 06:40 PM

There's more to a car than just numbers. And Pontiac severely lacks that "more".
Old 05-29-2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by markiemark8585
I think there is too mucj competition with the max now. If people are looking for best performance under 40k its either a G35 or a G8. Best performance for a FWD V6, theres the camry, altima, acura tl type s, and soon to be the new mazda 6. It has become a niche vehicle. just happens to be my niche. the SR trim still hasnt been released yet. I am pretty confident the SR trim will have a little more power, a little lighter, and hopefully a manual tranny. I was hoping for a V8 in the maxima, like an entry level M45, with a detuned version of the 4.5 v8, 300HP+300ft./lbs, for 37k you can get a 300c srt 8, a fully loaded G8, a G35, maybe even a used 335i. I could of sworn the first maximas had rwd, please correct me if im wrong, the first maxima i drove in was an '90 maxima when i was 5 yrs old. the first maxima i drove was an 96 and the first i owned was a 2001, then a 2003, and now a 6th gen. as i get older Ive been looking for more bang for my buck because the maxima cannot keep up with its competition anymore. I havent driven the new maxima yet though, so maybe the car mags are under rating everything because its not a BMW.
Wow you have had alot of maxima's just to be 22/23 yrs old!
Old 05-29-2008, 08:22 PM

Edmunds has video too:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..3.*

One thing to remember when cross shopping the Max against the G8 on PRICE alone: The PRICE of gas. Yes the G8 and Max are similarily priced. But if you care so much about PRICE, then you'd see the G8 uses more of the ever more expensive gas than the Max does. 4MPG in city alone.

The new Max is fast enough.

Another thing to note: off the line the Max is slower by 0.5 seconds. 0 to any speed up to 80 the Max is only behind by 0.5 seconds. The 45-65MPH passing for both cars is 2.7. The Max actually does OK considering the huge differences between the two cars. Once the Max gets going it is as fast as the G8 until over 80 MPH. Watching the Edmunds video of the Max in the 1/4 I can see the CVT is kind of slow off the line. Even my Max would probably torch the 09 off the line, just judging by how slowly it revs at take off.

Last edited by made in china; 05-29-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:07 PM

From everything I've read about the 09 Maxima, no one has tested the actual sport model with 19's, which is suppose to be more sport tuned to handle better, will also be interesting to see what after market companies do for this car, if anything, after market seems to be an unknown area for Maxima owners.

The G8 does not seem like actual competition for the Maxima, I'm sure it will be cross shopped as most stuff is but I doubt the 2 cars are main competitors just as most mags have said the G8 is a cheaper version of the BMW 550, but if your buying that level then the G8 is not even in your vision.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:27 PM

Pontiac hasn't built much excitement in a long time. I don't like the look of the G8 exterior/interior. It looks cheap/plain. And far as value, once you drive that car off the lot let alone for a few months to a year it's only worth half of what you paid for it. The car is fast and muscular in a car sense, however, there isn't much refinement involved. I think the answer to the question of what can we get for $30K these days has been given to us "Not Much". Take it or leave it, if you're budget is $30K then this is all you're getting and not much more, so don't even ask. That's in your face truth. So either get your paper up or sit back and color.

The price of cars and the cost of ownership nowadays will definitely put quite a few people in the poor house. I don't think many people can afford to drive these cars who are salivating over them. I see so many new/used cars on autotrader with low miles on them because people had to give them up. If you are shopping for something in this price range my advice to you is make sure you can afford not only the payment but the cost of ownership. Plus have some where to lay your head and food to eat. People with money aren't even looking at the G8 or the Maxima for any reason. I hope I didn't go to far with the last few statements but these cars companies are getting out of hand. My dad has always told me that a car is not a good investment, unless you're using it for business. I've come to the realization that I don't need any of these cars, I just want them. But I also like have money in the bank and no car payment. I really was hoping the new Maxima was going to be my next car but the older I get the more comfortable I am with driving a nice used practical car.

Please don't get me wrong I love cars and always will but I have to draw a line in the sand both the car companies and oil giants are on the same team they are like drug dealers and pimps and we're the fiends and tricks..and they've played me long enough. It's time to start hustling forward and not backwards for a change. Ok... I'm done...I have to start taking my meds on time... To be continued.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:18 AM

Kobra, I feel you and totally agree with you. If I need a car by this year, I would rather buy a 4-cyl 09 Altima fully loaded which gives a 23/31 city/hwy mpg, the best in its class, and has reasonably good handling and power for everyday driving, not to mention eye catching looks, interior space more than the 09 Maxima and retainment of at least $10k in my bank account.

If I need a car but not by this year, I would wait for the Altima's mid-cycle refresh hoping to come by in the 2011 model year when it might get the updated CVT and some gadgets (even the interior designing) that is used in the 09 Maxima. Nissan might also shed some weight from the Altima and increase its fuel economy. It is important to note that the Altima, unlike the Maxima, is the bread and butter car of Nissan, so they have to make it up to the mark and always keep it updated in order to stay in the car market as a company.

The point is, in this economy with ever increasing gas prices, considering what Nissan is offering in the 09 Maxima, a fully loaded 4-cyl Altima seems to be the better option to me. BTW, I never go to the track or autocross but like to drive nice cars with an eye on value for the money.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:39 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by bb700092
Nissan might also shed some weight from the Altima
That has actually been Nissan's plan for the entire line-up... Trim and downsize. The Altima actually was the first recipient when it was redesigned in '07.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kobra_Klutch
Pontiac hasn't built much excitement in a long time. I don't like the look of the G8 exterior/interior. It looks cheap/plain.
I agree. I have a 03 Pontiac Grand Am. I liked it when I got it, but not to much anymore. The main reason I got it was I received a GM employee discount when I bought it. When I see a Pontiac on the road or in pics they do not have that "Wow!" factor.

Originally Posted by Kobra_Klutch
The price of cars and the cost of ownership nowadays will definitely put quite a few people in the poor house. I don't think many people can afford to drive these cars who are salivating over them. I see so many new/used cars on autotrader with low miles on them because people had to give them up. If you are shopping for something in this price range my advice to you is make sure you can afford not only the payment but the cost of ownership. Plus have some where to lay your head and food to eat. People with money aren't even looking at the G8 or the Maxima for any reason. I hope I didn't go to far with the last few statements but these cars companies are getting out of hand. My dad has always told me that a car is not a good investment, unless you're using it for business. I've come to the realization that I don't need any of these cars, I just want them. But I also like have money in the bank and no car payment. I really was hoping the new Maxima was going to be my next car but the older I get the more comfortable I am with driving a nice used practical car.
My Grand Am is paid for, and that is the main reason why I'm still driving it. I plan to drive it 2 more years before I get a new car. Possibly the 2010 diesel Maxima. Cars are a horrible investment. I want a luxury car, but i can't justify paying $40k to $50k or more on a Lexus or BMW. To spend that kind of money on something that depreciates in value everyday just makes me cringe. Now that I'm approaching 40 (yikes!) and my business is starting to take off I want to treat myself to a nice car. I want to keep it around $30k, but not more that $35k. That is why I'm checking out the new Maxima, plus a few others. Your right that we buy a car more on "want", rather than "need." If we all bought a car based on need we would be driving a Toyota Yaris, or something similar.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:09 AM
Banned

Dont forget this part
"As willing to play as the drivetrain is, the Maxima still doesn’t feel quite like a sports sedan; it’s more of a sporty sedan. It feels huge, which is good for comfortable riding but is a bit of a downer for spirited driving."

No thx. Been there, done that.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:15 AM

I hope you guys read the Edmunds review of the 2009 Hyundai Genesis V8 http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...leId=126514#12

A few numbers from Edmunds tests (Genesis V8, 6-speed A/T, RWD, 375hp, 333lb-ft torque, 4006lbs weight):
0-60mph 5.9secs
Quarter-mile 103mph 14.0secs
Braking distance 60-0mph 124ft
Price: $33,000-$39,000

A few lines from the review:

"This time, however, it has taken aim at the Germans. In its own words, Hyundai says of the 2009 Hyundai Genesis V8, "It's the size of the BMW 7 Series with the performance of the 5 Series and at the price of the 3 Series."

It's an imposing goal, yet we have to admit that the Korean company has missed the target only slightly. Instead we'd say what Hyundai has actually produced is a car that's the size of the first-generation Infiniti Q45 with the performance of an M45 and at the price of a G35."

"Inside the cabin, the Genesis V8 is outfitted like a true luxury sedan. Spacious, richly appointed and fully decked out with a comprehensive list of convenience features, this Hyundai looks and feels very much like a top-line Lexus. The seats are as comfortable as they appear, although they lack the kind of firm, highly bolstered Germanic treatment a sport sedan enthusiast might enjoy. The instrument panel's white-on-black electroluminescent gauges look like they came straight out of a Lexus."

"Other than the Rolls-Royce Phantom, the Genesis is the only car that presently offers a Lexicon-brand 7.1 discrete audio system with HD radio, 17 speakers and more than 500 watts of power. If the 40-gigabyte hard-drive-based navigation system is ordered..."

"We'd be negligent if we didn't say that Hyundai Genesis is one of the quietest cars we've ever driven."

The point: The 09 Maxima is headed for a tough competition.

Result: Nissan will have to lower the price!
Old 05-30-2008, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by bb700092
I hope you guys read the Edmunds review of the 2009 Hyundai Genesis V8 http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...leId=126514#12

A few numbers from Edmunds tests (Genesis V8, 6-speed A/T, RWD, 375hp, 333lb-ft torque, 4006lbs weight):
0-60mph 5.9secs
Quarter-mile 103mph 14.0secs
Braking distance 60-0mph 124ft
Price: $33,000-$39,000

A few lines from the review:

"This time, however, it has taken aim at the Germans. In its own words, Hyundai says of the 2009 Hyundai Genesis V8, "It's the size of the BMW 7 Series with the performance of the 5 Series and at the price of the 3 Series."

It's an imposing goal, yet we have to admit that the Korean company has missed the target only slightly. Instead we'd say what Hyundai has actually produced is a car that's the size of the first-generation Infiniti Q45 with the performance of an M45 and at the price of a G35."

"Inside the cabin, the Genesis V8 is outfitted like a true luxury sedan. Spacious, richly appointed and fully decked out with a comprehensive list of convenience features, this Hyundai looks and feels very much like a top-line Lexus. The seats are as comfortable as they appear, although they lack the kind of firm, highly bolstered Germanic treatment a sport sedan enthusiast might enjoy. The instrument panel's white-on-black electroluminescent gauges look like they came straight out of a Lexus."

"Other than the Rolls-Royce Phantom, the Genesis is the only car that presently offers a Lexicon-brand 7.1 discrete audio system with HD radio, 17 speakers and more than 500 watts of power. If the 40-gigabyte hard-drive-based navigation system is ordered..."

"We'd be negligent if we didn't say that Hyundai Genesis is one of the quietest cars we've ever driven."

The point: The 09 Maxima is headed for a tough competition.

Result: Nissan will have to lower the price!
I hope Nissan lowers the price on the Maxima. The Genesis is a luxury sedan and not in the same class as the Maxima. I think Hyundai has the price too high for the Genesis though. Many waiting for the Genesis to come out were hoping for a lower base price, me included. Personally in a couple years I will cross shop the two. It will be interesting to see how many will fork out that much money for a Hyundai. They will get buyers loyal to Lexus or BMW, but probably the first time luxury car buyer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All car mags Reviews 2009 Maxima