7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

My dealer is getting one on Friday!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:57 PM
*moderator*

My dealer is getting one on Friday!

I talked to my sales guy because I saw an 09 on their inventory list online:

2009 Nissan Maxima SV
Bodystyle: 4 door Sedan
Engine: 3.5L 6
Transmission: Variable
Ext. Color: Precision Gray
Int. Color: Frost
Stock Number: 9801002
VIN: 1N4AA51E59C801002
Model Code: 08719

He's going to call me when they drop it off so we can go drive it!!
Old 06-18-2008, 12:23 AM

By this time next week, every Nissan dealer in the country (except possibly a few small ones) should have at least one '09 Maxima on hand. Although I spent several hours feasting my eyes on one at the Atlanta Auto Show several months ago, and also checked them out at the Nissan plant in Tennessee several months ago, the first one that arrives at my dealer will be the first one I will have been able to get in and play around with. This is going to be exciting!
Old 06-18-2008, 08:13 AM

i saw someone driving around in one in gladville, tn (just outside of smyrna) last week. it still had the mylar on it.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I spoke to my Nissan dealer in the D.C. area and all of the dealers apparently are meeting at Nationals Park tomorrow to pick up their first cars. They don't know what they're getting however. Salesman says test drives are available starting tomorrow. They have 5 cars ordered and 2 are already spoken for. They don't anticipate a normal flow of cars until late August.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:20 PM

quayliu - What you say (or what your dealer told you) makes a lot of sense. Based on the VIN numbers I have seen as destined for several dealers' inventories, Nissan does not have the backlog of '09s on hand that they had when the '04s (generation 6 intro) began arriving the first week of March 2003. It will probably be August before most dealers have a selection big enough for customers to begin working out exactly what options and color combinations they would want.

This may be for the best, as there are many areas of the country where thousands of folks have lost their jobs, and thousands of others are losing their homes. More than that, many folks who are not currently in financial trouble are warily watching the economy, and are being extremely cautious regarding any major purchase (I am one of those). A new car purchase is not high on many of those folks' list.

Of course we have to hope Nissan does not suffer the travesty that happened in May 1999, when they had thousands of 2000 Maximas line up in their parking lot in preparation for the generation 5 intro, when a devastating tornado virtually destroyed hundreds of cars and badly damaged many hundreds of others. Several large-volume Nissan dealers worked out an arrangement with Nissan that allowed them to sell 'storm damaged' Maximas at big discounts. Many Maxima fans that either worked where a body shop was available, or who were handy with body work themselves, garnered very good deals.

I will be at my dealers looking around as the '09s straggle in, but I plan to wait until dealers are negotiating from invoice before buying. That will probably be this fall.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My plan is to test drive and if I like then will wait until fall. If not, I'm going TL Type-S.

There's a CarMax near Baltimore that sells new Nissans. They are selling new 09 Muranos for under invoice, so there's a chance they may have good deals on the new Maxima. Anyone have any experience buying new at CarMax?
Old 06-19-2008, 08:03 AM

my dealer isn't!
Old 06-19-2008, 09:35 AM
dot dot dot ...

Mine is too, not until 3 -4 weeks

Just talked to another dealer about 75mi away, and he said 2 -3 weeks, BUT, asked if I was interested in the 2 door or 4 door

Last edited by NmexMAX; 06-19-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:58 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
BUT, asked if I was interested in the 2 door or 4 door
Amazing!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
Amazing!!!
Yes it is amazing. I sent e-mails to six different Nissan dealers in the area. None had a clue about the 2009 Maxima that goes on sale in a week. Two thought it was mid-August. Three sent back information on the 2008's saying the 2009's are delayed until September. It's no wonder people can't stand car dealers. Are they just stupid or lazy, or both?
Old 06-19-2008, 01:17 PM

The two door Maxima is on back order, but won't be here until around spring of 2019. It will be achieved by installation of a new robot on the assembly line which will weld the rear doors shut.

The employee asking if you wanted two or four doors on your maxima reminds me of why I stopped dealing with car salespersons about fifteen years ago. So often, they float from dealer-to-dealer, selling Buicks one month and Kias the next.

I became friends with the internet manager at my dealer over ten years ago, and deal with her by making my offer over the internet. I pick out the vehicle I want by scanning the dealer's inventory on nissanusa every day until I see one equipped exactly as I want, and in the color I want, headed for my dealer, then email her my bid before the car even reaches the dealer (I have the detailed email ready weeks ahead, and just plug in the VIN, price and date when I see the car I want).

We then meet in her office for any final negotiations and signing the paperwork. That doesn't take long, as I always have a check for the full price in hand, so we don't have to diddle with all that loan paperwork stuff. She knows I know the invoice price, as well as any holdback or incentive, so she doesn't bullcrap me. This works very well for me.

I think I will place an advance order for that two door Maxima NmexMAX's dealer is pushing, although I expect to be residing six feet under in Mobile Memorial Gardens in South Alabama by the time it arrives.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:33 PM

Talking

When do you guys think NissanUSA will allow you to "Build you Own" '09 Max.? I'm tired of seeing "Get a Sneak Peek of the '09 Maxima." I'm ready to see what options are available and how much one equipped the way I want it is gonna cost me.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by guayliu
My plan is to test drive and if I like then will wait until fall. If not, I'm going TL Type-S.

There's a CarMax near Baltimore that sells new Nissans. They are selling new 09 Muranos for under invoice, so there's a chance they may have good deals on the new Maxima. Anyone have any experience buying new at CarMax?
Yes. I bought my Xterra from there in 2005. It was one of the best car buying experiences. As far as financing, they plug in your information, you go test drive a vehicle and by the time you get back you can see the bank offers and you pick the one with the lowest rate and payment. the only thing you do is sign the paperwork at the end. No applications to fill out by hand.

I would love to see the '09's on parade from Nationals Stadium!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 05:24 PM

MajesticMax02 - It seems that early custom orders usually fall into two categories:

1 - The dealer tells you Nissan isn't filling custom orders on the new model yet, and they will let you know when that changes. When the dealer calls in a month or two to let you know custom orders are now being taken, it should take from one month to six weeks to get your car.

2 - The dealer accepts your custom order, then stalls you with promises. You see your car three to four months later, because Nissan was not yet building custom orders on the new model when the order was placed.

-------------

To answer your question more directly, Nissan is already 'behind the eight ball' with the '09, having begun the official assembly run closer to sale date than usual for a new generation. Word is that it will be August before most dealers have a working stock of '09s. I would guess it might be August before custom orders are accepted, but that is just my best guess. It should certainly be no later than the first half of September.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:46 AM

I am looking forward to seeing one in person. It has taken a few months, but it has really started to grow on me, although I still struggle with the headlights and front grill a bit.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:51 AM

i need to see one in person, it looks good on the nissan site
Old 06-21-2008, 08:58 AM
*moderator*

Well I didn't hear from him yesterday but there are now 7 on their inventory list...maybe I'll stop by this weekend.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:27 AM
RR5

Which dealer is this? If they, in fact do have a 2009 Maxima on hand, I'd like to drop by and snap some new pictures.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:00 AM
*moderator*

Connell Nissan in Costa Mesa. Like I said he didn't call so who knows...
Old 06-21-2008, 12:27 PM

I was talking to Cherry Hill Nissan In New Jersey they said they aint getting them til July 4th. i told them that nissan said by mid june they said that nissan told them that to but pushed it back for some reason. i guess they need to clean there lot out for them.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:35 PM
RR5

Let's bum rush Connell Nissan in Costa Mesa then.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:51 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

East Charlotte Nissan has one in the showroom yesterday and today. I got invited to official private unveiling last night. The car was a pre-production unit, on tour to larger dealerships with Nissan's national director of dealer operations. There were about 50 people there last night.

The car was red SV with the sport package. The car looks absolutely amazing in person... quick impressions:
  • Nobody is EVER going to mistake this for a Camry, Altima or anything else. Its unique, aggressive and attractive.
  • The exterior is dominated by its aggressive fender bulges, and to a lesser degree by the great looking oil can exhaust tips... sounded great when they started her up - not loud but with a deep bass rumble.
  • Unlike the impression given by some photos we've seen, the grille does not overly dominate the front end... it fits perfectly with the overall agressive appearance.
  • The 19" wheels looked much better in person than in pics. They would look even better if they were in the darker silver used on most Infiniti's and some Nissan's (like my '03 Titanium Edition)
  • I still like the unique and aggressive headlights.
  • I still don't like the huge chrome door handles. Sorry, but to me chrome just wreaks of cheap and garrish. Looks totally out of character with the sporty nature of the car. If the don't have a de-chromed SE or SR model by the time my '07 lease is up, I'll just have to get them painted cause they just ruin an otherwise gorgeous exterior.
  • The "hockey stick" over the rear doors is more like a semi-polished aluminum and is not nearly as garish and cheap looking as chrome would have been.
  • Interior quality is huge step up. Easily could be an Infiniti.
  • Front seat travel is greatly increased... first Max I have ever been in that I wasn't looking for more leg room in. In fact, it might be one of the very few cars I have ever been in where I might not put the seat all the way back. (I'm 6'1").
  • Despite published numbers to the contrary, there is MORE headroom than the 6G... I had 3-4" above my head in the driver's seat... when I got back into my '07, what's left of my hair was brushing the roof (both had a conventional sunroof).
  • Steering wheel and paddle shifters felt great in hand. Steering wheel is noticeably smaller diameter.
  • With the carved out seat backs, I had no problem "sitting behind myself".
  • Not really an issue for me, but the trunk is noticeably smaller.
  • A child could take a nap in the huge glove compartment. It's a huge flat shelf instead of fold-out binnacle.
They stated that cars would be available for sale at the East Charlotte dealership on June 26.

Last edited by jcalabria; 06-21-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:51 PM

jcalabria - EXCELLENT report!

As you probably noted in my earlier posts. I spent several hours looking at this car at the Atlanta Auto Show in April, just after I got back from looking at it at the end of the assembly line in Smyrna TN, and I had the same feelings you have gotten:

NO WAY will this car be mistaken for an Altima, Camry or Accord. In person, there is NO resemblance. The wheel haunches alone seem much more muscular on this very aggressive-looking Maxima than any of those other cars, and the sporty 'figure 8' look is very noticable when looking at this car in person.

In person, the grille looks lower and MUCH less dominant than in all those close-up pics.

In person, the unusual trailing segment at the bottom rear of the headlight assembly is hardly noticable. While standing near the car, it can barely be seen, even if you are looking for it.

I agree with you about the door handles, and would have loved it if the 'Sport' package had included blacked out door handles (or handles the same color as the car), and possibly dark silver wheels.

Great to hear about the roomy passenger cabin, especially the increased headroom and much better and larger glove compartment. As soon as it was announced that Nissan had shortened the '09 Maxima and took the hump out of the roof, several here posted that the new Maxima would be cramped inside with no headroom. They were obviously guessing, and guessed wrong.

The smaller trunk will not be a problem for most folks, because the trunk on the 6th gen reached so far toward the passenger compartment that it was difficult to fully utilize unless one had very long arms.

I am so very glad that those seeing this car in person are finding things they really like. It is difficult to describe how this car seems more aggressive and impressive in person than in photos, but it very definitely does. I have a feeling this is a car that will attract a lot of buyers.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:08 PM

howdie guys...

i live in Smyrna, TN, whish as many of you die-hards know is where the plant is. i actually see several new Max's in and around town since last month (even saw two white GT-Rs --even though they arent made here, obviously)....anyway, actually saw a lady the other night driving a red one and saw she pulled into the McDees and i stopped her and asked her about it....they are all driven with tape over the Nissan and Maxima logos, but it aint hard to figure it out. she worked in quality and didnt even know the release date, but she told me "sooner than you think"

it was real nice. the carbon fiber dash material was light years better than i had imagined it would....it didnt feel hollow. it was very solid. the interior dash was real nice...especially for the "lower end model" which she was driving, even though it had leather. i still dont care for the orange lights, but of well. no spolier on this one, but there was plenty of room in the back seat and the contours of the car were great. the seats have the little leg extenders....whatever they are really called. love that. anyway, cant wait to see pricing. i do not care for the wheels on the base model. i have seen the sport wheels and prefer those.

oh and another thing....unlike mentioned, i do like the chrome door handles, and one thing i really like is the door pad unlock thing....its chromed too, so you dont have a black piece standing out on the chromed door handles like in years past on the last gen G

Last edited by Minarets; 06-21-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:23 AM

Minarets - Nissan has said they hope to hold the pricing very near that of the 2008. If so, that could be something like $28K base, $30.5K for the 'V', and $34K totally loaded with either the 'Premium' or 'Sport' package. We will know within the next week.

Those 'little leg extenders' are called thigh supports, and they give the lower thigh something to rest against, which can take some stress off the legs, especially on long trips. They are more useful for folks with long legs, where the lower half of the thigh would otherwise end up with nothing supporting it.

Several posters here back in late April moaned about 'another Maxima filled with hard plastic'. Clearly, those posters were panning the Maxima while knowing nothing. Even at that time, Nissan had already told us about the new soft carbon fiber dash. The folks who have actually had a chance to touch this new dash material have all liked it a lot. I hope to be among those 'touchers' this coming week.

Thanks for your report from Smyrna.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:57 AM

Jcalabria and Light,

Excellent reporting as usual. I wouldn't have expected anything less from the seasoned Maxima owners!

I am eager to look, 'Touch' and drive one of these. I have yet to see one in person! Reading your reports makes me seriously consider a trip to Smyrna and hope that I can see a few cruising down the road.

I am eager for their release.

Thanks for the common insightfulness you two continue to display here.

Swee
Old 06-22-2008, 04:46 PM

4MySwee - We've been hoping to hear your soft, dulcet voice on the 7th gen board. Your Maxima wisdom will be well-received here. You shouldn't have to make that long trek to Smyrna; the new Maxima goes on sale this Thursday June 26, and they should be arriving at most large-volume dealers during the next few days, and at smaller dealers during the next few weeks.

You referred to our 'common insightfulness'. You were spot-on with the 'common', but the 'insightfulness' may be a slight (but appreciated) exaggeration.

The next few weeks should be a lot of fun here.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:15 PM

haha, sounds like internet bulls*it, but i just so happened to run into the same girl as i saw last week but tonight she was driving a black SV sport pkg....im not sure if they were 18'' or 19'' wheels, but they were the sport pkg wheels...she said no 17'' are being offered this time. the black on black looked awsome.

i also, asked her about the "SR" line and she didnt know anything about it....she mentioned a base and a SV line with premium and sport pkgs as i have already seen reported. i can say this one looked way better (sportier) than the red one i saw last week which reminded me a lot of the ES350.

i also drove by the plant after running into her to look under the shelters they keep all the new cars under beside the plant (that is fairly close to teh street) and i noticed several new maximas...the grille is easy to spot. im guessing the release is close.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:17 PM

Thanks for your flattering words. I do miss my baby lots. I test drove another 6th at a dealership today. I keep telling myself, when I graduate school, that will be my gift to myself.

Until then, I wait on baited breath for the 7th gen.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Z

Originally Posted by Minarets
haha, sounds like internet bulls*it, but i just so happened to run into the same girl as i saw last week but tonight she was driving a black SV sport pkg....im not sure if they were 18'' or 19'' wheels, but they were the sport pkg wheels...she said no 17'' are being offered this time. the black on black looked awsome.

i also, asked her about the "SR" line and she didnt know anything about it....she mentioned a base and a SV line with premium and sport pkgs as i have already seen reported. i can say this one looked way better (sportier) than the red one i saw last week which reminded me a lot of the ES350.

i also drove by the plant after running into her to look under the shelters they keep all the new cars under beside the plant (that is fairly close to teh street) and i noticed several new maximas...the grille is easy to spot. im guessing the release is close.
You really think even if she knew something, she'd tell you? Google a little thing called an NDA.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:12 AM

Just found out that a dealership near the house has received 3 '09 Maxs and have already sold 2 of them today. I didn't think they officially went on sale until the 26th?! Live and learn, I guess!
Old 06-25-2008, 10:15 AM

Just got a call from my dealer...5 were being unloaded today. I'll try and swing by tonight (after close) for some pics.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:21 AM

I plan to stop by the dealership after work and see one in person(finally)...if there's any left. I just don't want to see one on the road before I get to see it at the dealership. That would totally ruin the excitement.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:26 AM

2002 Maxima SE....
I see you are in Durham, NC. I am in High Point, NC. Who is the closest Nissan dealer up there....Michael Jordan Nissan?! I called them earlier this morning and they said they didn't have any yet. I guess the salesman I spoke with was very uniformed. He did say he could try to locate me one though...
Old 06-25-2008, 11:17 AM

I was talking to one of the detail men at my dealership this morning (as he was cleaning a silver '09 Maxima with premium package), and he had a funny story. He said a big tractor trailer rolled up this morning loaded with what he thought must be redesigned M45 Infinities, and he ran over to tell the driver the Infiniti dealer was across the street, then saw the Nissan symbol and the Maxima logo on the cars and was confused. He didn't even know there was a new gen Maxima coming.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:37 AM
SuPeRmOd

nice one Chuck
Old 06-25-2008, 11:47 AM

lightonthehill.....
That is funny stuff and a compliment to the '09 Max as well!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 03:33 PM

Test drove the 2009 Maxima about 35 minutes ago, it is a very nice car. I am really considering purchasing the new maxima. The fit and finish is better than my 2004, it is a little smaller but the one I drove was loaded ($42K).

Mike
Old 06-25-2008, 04:19 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by Big Mike
the one I drove was loaded ($42K).

Mike
$42K? are you sure? Did it have any aftermarket add ons or markup from the msrp?
Old 06-25-2008, 05:39 PM

Just checked out my local dealer, they had 2, a base SV and a loaded one with the Premium and Technology Packages. The total was $38,300, so I don't know why a dealer would be asking for $42k.

Here's a pic of the sticker:

Last edited by BobXX; 06-25-2008 at 05:43 PM.

Quick Reply: My dealer is getting one on Friday!