7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Srsly....get another damn commercial!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:31 PM
retired moderator

Srsly....get another damn commercial!

I see a TON of commercials for the new Maxima on various channels I watch. It's nice that Nissan is advertising heavily, but dammit - every single commercial is the exact same one (the one where the black max and the white one "merge" to become a silver one).

I mean, during the opening NFL game (Skins-Giants) Hyundai had four or five DIFFERENT commercials for the new Genesis....
Old 09-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Genesis > maxima......
Old 09-05-2008, 08:33 PM

they'll probably will come out with another one in a few weeks. probably figured why change something that works. ...
Old 09-05-2008, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by bigpulve
Genesis > maxima......
Old 09-06-2008, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by bigpulve
Genesis > maxima......
The REAL reason Hyundai is advertising the Genesis so hard is because it has neither the name recogintion nor long-time following the Maxima has. In fact, being new, the Genesis has no following at all. I would hazard a guess that probably less than five percent of the American public could even correctly spell Hyundai. And the adventures many buyers had with Hyundai's Excel when it first arrived in the U.S. all those years ago took many folks (like my son) out of the Hyundai market for life.

Yes, the Genesis may turn out to be a fine vehicle. But, unlike the Maxima, it will take a lot of TV advertising before the general public will become aware it even exists.

As dealers finally build up their stock of '09 Maximas, and the assembly lines have time to take lots more special orders, I would think the '09 Maxima advertising will pick up.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:41 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Yep... Hyundai needs lots of advertising to erase the stigma of the their early days from the minds of the public. However, their recent products have been greatly improved and deserve consideration, particularly when content/$ is considered.

That said, their ads directly targeting Lexus are a red flag to me that the Genesis may be a little too "soft" for my taste. If it really is a poor man's LS, than I'm likely not interested. I want a poor man's BMW, which is what the Max SE used to be. Even though the 7g SV Sport may not have completely returned to that position, it is a hell of a lot closer than the Genesis.

Lack of variety aside, the Max ad targets my interests much better than any of the multiple Genesis ads I saw during the game Thursday night.

Last edited by jcalabria; 09-06-2008 at 05:48 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I would hazard a guess that probably less than five percent of the American public could even correctly spell Hyundai.
It's easy to remember:

How
Your
Usual
Nerd
Drives
An
Import

Seriously, though, I agree with Irish. Those of us that love the Max don't even need a commercial. For those that need to have their attention drawn to it, the same commercial over and over isn't the best way to go.

Last edited by PadawanKnight; 09-06-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I would hazard a guess that probably less than five percent of the American public could even correctly spell Hyundai.
very true and very funny....most can't even pronounce it correctly
Old 09-06-2008, 01:36 PM

well if you have a good product you don't need flashy adds that cost a lot to make, or they are just saving some money.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:13 PM

NEW commercial

theres a new commercial featuring a slate grey sports its pretty dope! Dude drives through a downtown area flossing riding over potholes, bumping the stereo/nav. just saw it on bet

edit heres how it went hahah

Last edited by slater; 09-06-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:00 AM

Ummmm . . . I suppose the pair of lovely ladies were looking out the restaurant window and watching this new masculine '09 Maxima maul that petulant personhole cover? I can remember when they were still called 'manhole' covers.

The new Maxima needs to be able to cross a personhole when the cover is entirely missing, as that has become the norm in many parts of the country, as metal thieves steal any metal not nailed down, and some that is. One church in the southwest part of Atlanta has had all its air conditioning units stolen six times this year, at a cost of around $35K per incident. A bus company near Atlanta had the chains cut off its iron gate and the catalytic converters cut off every bus on the lot. Times are tough.

Thanks for the alert, slater; I will be watching for this new ad.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:51 AM

It looks like the commercial an org member was working on when the new Max barely debuted. I remember the sketches, and it even showed the people staring in awe as it drove by. Can't wait to check it out.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:00 AM
Got Retrofit?

Give it time. They'll be more commercials eventually.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:54 AM
reb

Notice in the cabin scene how cramped the drivers right leg is. This is a big issue I have with this car. I can't get out of it without my right knee hitting the bottom of the steering column.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:54 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by jcalabria
I want a poor man's BMW, which is what the Max SE used to be.
lol, you're kidding right? I must have missed the part where BMW made mediocre-handling FWD sedans...and adding slightly stiffer springs and a thicker front sway bar doesn't turn a boaty maxima into anything resembling any BMW.

(btw, I have an SE)

Even though the 7g SV Sport may not have completely returned to that position, it is a hell of a lot closer than the Genesis.
I beg to differ. The Genesis is RWD (and there is a coupe available with 6MT).

The 7G Maxima is FWD and only available with CVT.

So plese tell me how he Maxima is closer to a BMW than the Genesis exactly? Because it has a "4DSC" sticker on the window? BMW doesn't even offer CVT, does it?
Old 09-07-2008, 06:04 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by irish44j
lol, you're kidding right? I must have missed the part where BMW made mediocre-handling FWD sedans...and adding slightly stiffer springs and a thicker front sway bar doesn't turn a boaty maxima into anything resembling any BMW.

(btw, I have an SE)

I beg to differ. The Genesis is RWD (and there is a coupe available with 6MT).

The 7G Maxima is FWD and only available with CVT.

So plese tell me how he Maxima is closer to a BMW than the Genesis exactly? Because it has a "4DSC" sticker on the window? BMW doesn't even offer CVT, does it?
I said USED to be... Nissan didn't even bother with the springs and sway bars in the 6g SE, a fact that pisses me off to no end. Earlier generation Maxima SE's made you WANT to drive them, and made you want to drive them harder than you would likely drive other cars. That is a BMW-like quality. I have driven every recent Lexus model save the IS-F, and not a single one inspires me to do anything but fall asleep. If that is the target the Genesis is aiming at, and it appears that it is, then it holds no interest for me, regardless of which end of the car supplies the motive force. RWD hasn't helped make Lexus any in the driving dynamics arena.

Since the Genesis SEDAN doesn't offer an MT (and the Genesis coupe has nothing in common with the sedan other than name - its more Tiburon successor, 4 cyl included, than a coupe version of the Genesis sedan), than the MT argument has no place in the Genesis-Maxima discussion. The CVT is just another automatic, and a pretty good one if you are willing to allow it to be.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:25 PM
retired moderator

I said USED to be...
and you're still wrong. The maxima was never a competitor to BMWs (in terms of size it would have had to compete with the 5-series, btw).

The maxima wasn't a "poor-man's" anything. It was a car for people who liked Japanese reliability, but wanted something more powerful than the Accord and Camry back in the day. I could be wrong, but I do remember advertisements back in the early 90s for Maximas, and I always remmber them touting "more powerful than Accord or Camry." There was nary a mention of BMW in any of them.

Nissan didn't even bother with the springs and sway bars in the 6g SE, a fact that pisses me off to no end.
Because Nissan smartly realized that putting stiffer springs and sway bars doesn't turn a boaty luxo-cruiser into a sports sedan, and finally gave up trying to pretend it does...

Earlier generation Maxima SE's made you WANT to drive them, and made you want to drive them harder than you would likely drive other cars.
Only if these other cars were....an Accord or a Camry, pretty much.

I have driven every recent Lexus model save the IS-F, and not a single one inspires me to do anything but fall asleep.
If that is the target the Genesis is aiming at, and it appears that it is, then it holds no interest for me, regardless of which end of the car supplies the motive force.
Hyundai has clearly stated that they're going after the luxury performance car crowd (i.e. ES350, E-lass Benz, BMW 5-series) rather than the "sports-sedan" crowd....

RWD hasn't helped make Lexus any in the driving dynamics arena.
and yet stock for stock an IS350 will school a 7G Maxima on a road course, I'd be willing to bet....Toyota just does it with all the road noise that is so well-known to Nissan owners...

Since the Genesis SEDAN doesn't offer an MT
(and the Genesis coupe has nothing in common with the sedan other than name
Actually, the coupe is based on the same platform as the sedan, according to Hyundai. And they're both RWD. And people on here like to act like the G35 and Maxima have something in common, which is far more of a stretch.

- its more Tiburon successor, 4 cyl included, than a coupe version of the Genesis sedan)
Hyundai has stated clearly that it's not a Tiburon successor - in fact IIRC Hyundai is bringing out a new version of the Tib at a lower price-point below the genesis coupe.

than the MT argument has no place in the Genesis-Maxima discussion. The CVT is just another automatic, and a pretty good one if you are willing to allow it to be.
It's a moot point...they're not competing against each other anyhow. The Genesis, being a full-size RWD sedan, has at least a semblance of claim to be competition for the Lexus ES and IS series, the 5-series BMW, etc.

Meanwhile the Maxima is not competition for these cars. The Maxima is competition for V6 Accords, Acura TL, and Camrys.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:16 AM

Smile

irish44j [/quote] The Maxima is competition for V6 Accords, Acura TL, and Camrys.[/quote]

WRONG! The Altima is the competition for the V6 Accord and the Camry because of price and options. The TL is the only competition for the Max if you consider that competition.... I'm still trying to figure out why there needs to be any comparison, it is really kind of silly. When you are in the market go drive cars that appeal to you and buy which one appeals to you most according to your personal needs and preferences.... I have chosen the 09 Max because it offers everything I look for and more.

The new commercial is prety good. It seems to be on every night at the end of Sports Center (about 11:50 pm)...

Last edited by 4themax; 09-08-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:03 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 4themax

WRONG! The Altima is the competition for the V6 Accord and the Camry because of price and options. The TL is the only competition for the Max if you consider that competition.... I'm still trying to figure out why there needs to be any comparison, it is really kind of silly. When you are in the market go drive cars that appeal to you and buy which one appeals to you most according to your personal needs and preferences.... I have chosen the 09 Max because it offers everything I look for and more.

The new commercial is prety good. It seems to be on every night at the end of Sports Center (about 11:50 pm)...
I'll give you that the only real direct competition (FWD, 4 Door, 6-cyl, similar price range) is the TL. But a loaded-up V6 Accord isnt that much less expensive, so in a general comparison I think they can still compete. Of course I didn't mention that loaded-up Altimas are also at the fringe of Maxima competition....
Old 09-09-2008, 06:29 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

and you're still wrong. The maxima was never a competitor to BMWs (in terms of size it would have had to compete with the 5-series, btw).
I never stated that any Max was a competitor to any BMW.

The maxima wasn't a "poor-man's" anything. It was a car for people who liked Japanese reliability, but wanted something more powerful than the Accord and Camry back in the day. I could be wrong, but I do remember advertisements back in the early 90s for Maximas, and I always remmber them touting "more powerful than Accord or Camry." There was nary a mention of BMW in any of them.
The Maxima has always been positioned as (and been) a more engaging car to drive, with more "character", than its competitors. Same tactic, different price class, as BMW. No need to get in an uproar because I used a figure of speech putting them in the same sentence.

Because Nissan smartly realized that putting stiffer springs and sway bars doesn't turn a boaty luxo-cruiser into a sports sedan, and finally gave up trying to pretend it does...
Actually, upgraded suspensions ARE the primary ingredient that separates sport sedans from their lesser siblings.

Nissan didn't realize anything except that they could save a few dollars by making the SE a badge job.

Hyundai has clearly stated that they're going after the luxury performance car crowd (i.e. ES350, E-lass Benz, BMW 5-series) rather than the "sports-sedan" crowd....
Which was my point in the first place... and exactly why I said it didn't interest me. (Actually, the 5 series - all flavors of them - are more on sport sedan side of things and used to very much interest me till Chris Bangle got a hold of them and made them fugly)

and yet stock for stock an IS350 will school a 7G Maxima on a road course, I'd be willing to bet....Toyota just does it with all the road noise that is so well-known to Nissan owners..
It may very well... and there is no doubt that Lexus does do a better job than Nissan (Infiniti included) in the NVH area. However, I still find that the overall driving experience is just not very satisfying in any Lexus I have driven or owned.

Actually, the coupe is based on the same platform as the sedan, according to Hyundai. And they're both RWD. And people on here like to act like the G35 and Maxima have something in common, which is far more of a stretch.

Hyundai has stated clearly that it's not a Tiburon successor - in fact IIRC Hyundai is bringing out a new version of the Tib at a lower price-point below the genesis coupe.
They can claim what they want, but it is not nearly as similar, for example, as the G sedan and coupe, which clearly share mechanicals and styling cues. The Genesis coupe could easily be mistaken for the current Tiburon and looks nothing like the Genesis sedan. There is also no 4 cylinder Genesis sedan.

I really don't think we have any great philosophical difference here... more a matter of how literally we take terms like "poor-mans BMW" or "4DSC".

Last edited by jcalabria; 09-09-2008 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:02 AM
retired moderator

I never stated that any Max was a competitor to any BMW.

The Maxima has always been positioned as (and been) a more engaging car to drive, with more "character", than its competitors. Same tactic, different price class, as BMW. No need to get in an uproar because I used a figure of speech putting them in the same sentence.

Actually, upgraded suspensions ARE the primary ingredient that separates sport sedans from their lesser siblings.

Nissan didn't realize anything except that they could save a few dollars by making the SE a badge job.

Which was my point in the first place... and exactly why I said it didn't interest me. (Actually, the 5 series - all flavors of them - are more on sport sedan side of things and used to very much interest me till Chris Bangle got a hold of them and made them fugly)

It may very well... and there is no doubt that Lexus does do a better job than Nissan (Infiniti included) in the NVH area. However, I still find that the overall driving experience is just not very satisfying in any Lexus I have driven or owned.

They can claim what they want, but it is not nearly as similar, for example, as the G sedan and coupe, which clearly share mechanicals and styling cues. The Genesis coupe could easily be mistaken for the current Tiburon and looks nothing like the Genesis sedan. There is also no 4 cylinder Genesis sedan.

I really don't think we have any great philosophical difference here... more a matter of how literally we take terms like "poor-mans BMW" or "4DSC".
I think this is just a slow forum, since few people actually have 7th gens yet, and even fewer have any "mods" to talk about. I just like to point-counterpoint. I'm at the beach for the week with the wife/baby and with nothing to do but sit on the deck or the beach with my laptop
Old 09-09-2008, 07:43 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

I just like to point-counterpoint. I'm at the beach for the week with the wife/baby and with nothing to do but sit on the deck or the beach with my laptop
I noticed, lol. So has Lightonthehill.

BTW, in one of your "discussions" with Light (http://forums.maxima.org/6606731-post19.html) you kept quoting him but the quotes were credited to me.... you must have been "dueling" with both of us at the same time.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:31 AM
retired moderator

I noticed, lol. So has Lightonthehill.

BTW, in one of your "discussions" with Light (http://forums.maxima.org/6606731-post19.html) you kept quoting him but the quotes were credited to me.... you must have been "dueling" with both of us at the same time.
alcohol + multiple arguments at once = CHAOS!!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 05:50 PM
SmokinMaxSE

That Genesis is BUTT UGLY so Nissan has nothing to worry about with that.

Now what I don't understand is why Nissan is running an infinity FX commercial right after advertising the New Rogue and Murano????????? It's like they are trying to put down their own brand......
Old 09-09-2008, 09:40 PM

THERE A NEW HALF . shows the design and clay model of the maxima then goes back into the first one at the end

Originally Posted by slater
theres a new commercial featuring a slate grey sports its pretty dope! Dude drives through a downtown area flossing riding over potholes, bumping the stereo/nav. just saw it on bet

edit heres how it went hahah

Old 09-09-2008, 11:09 PM
wat

Allot of maxima brown nosing in here.

Originally Posted by SmokinMaxSE
coming from a 6th gen owner too
Old 09-10-2008, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by gold4dsc
THERE A NEW HALF . shows the design and clay model of the maxima then goes back into the first one at the end

Yes, I saw that new one at least eight times today, twice in one 30 minute program. Also saw the www.mastertheshift.com one several times (where you can register for a chance to win an '09 Maxima).

Nissan is now loading the airwaves with '09 Maxima ads. Dealers may be hurting; It may soon be time to buy.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:37 AM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by SmokinMaxSE
You think this is "butt ugly," seriously???????????

(btw, yes, the grlle and wheels aren't stock...but who here leaves the car stock anyhow??)

Old 09-10-2008, 06:56 AM

You're right, it's not ugly, but it's still just a Hyundai.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:54 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by chopstix2nrz
Allot of maxima brown nosing in here.

coming from a 6th gen owner too
Well this is MAXIMA.org and I do think a stock 6th gen is kinda ugly but loyal owners is why we got the 7th gen in the first place. Look at the new TL, its ugly too but loyal owners will keep it alive until the next TL comes along.....
Old 09-11-2008, 12:26 PM

They need to release this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92RdiCvBxdw
Old 09-13-2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMAK99
You're right, it's not ugly, but it's still just a Hyundai.
hey..we started as just 'datsun' ...lol im sure people were saying that back in the day.. oh its just a nissan ... (respect to datsuns lol ) just trying to say that i think hyundai is off to good things...
Old 09-13-2008, 12:20 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

You think this is "butt ugly," seriously???????????

(btw, yes, the grlle and wheels aren't stock...but who here leaves the car stock anyhow??)

thats a sick looking ride!!!

and 368 HP... good lord... its hard not to buy that over the new maxima LOL
Old 09-14-2008, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by mist max2000
hey..we started as just 'datsun' ...lol im sure people were saying that back in the day.. oh its just a nissan ... (respect to datsuns lol ) just trying to say that i think hyundai is off to good things...

'Just Datsun?' My feelings are hurt. When I moved from decades of humongous gas-sucking American V8s to Datsun in the late 1970s, I certainly was not hearing anyone saying 'just Datsun'. My daughter immediately took my new 200SX as her personal car (she will only drive manual trannies, and loved it), so I grabbed another one for myself. We had the two most-admired cars on our street.

By contrast, my son's first car was a Hyundai Excel, and on his tight budget, he was stuck with it for years. Oh, the sad tales I could tell about that Excel. He would never again look at a Hyundai, even if it was given to him free.

Yes, the new Hyundais are impressive. But they have a REAL 'just Hyundai' barrier to overcome. Datsuns, however, were always very dependable and respected.