7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 09 the Best Maxima Ever???

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:23 PM

It depends who you asked. You also have to take the year of the car into consideration. Right now a bone stock 4th gen is nothing special, its about on par with most econo mid size vehicles. But at the time, absolutely nothing in its price ranged compared to it. The 5th gen maxima, had more competition, i honestly believe that the 02-03 TL-S is a nicer car, its much more refined then my 5.5gen, better car? I wouldnt go that far, but one thing ill say for sure is the interior is MILES better then my 5.5 was.

If you wanna compare apples to apples, i love both my cars, but honestly, the build quality on the 5.5gen just isnt consistent with my 4th gen. I know who owned my 5.5 before, it was a elder couple who lived in victoria, all services were done, pretty much on time. Its chassis is much stiffer then my 4th gen, it also handles much better stock, but it also has new control arms, 5 years newer and my 4th gen has over 200K miles on it, stock to stock that is.

I think the 3rd gen VE would qualify as one of the best maximas ever made, look at the technology that thing had back in the day. 1992, 190HP/190TQ, valve timing control (NVTC), variable intake, limited slip differential, independent rear suspension.. a very refined engine for its time. I think if the 4th gen had those above, it would have been the best maxima built, but due to its factory flaws, if you could call it that, the lack of a variable intake, variable valve timing, IRS and monster wheel gap, it would have been an amazing car for the value. Again though, nissan designed it like that for a reason, werent they going south at the time of the 4th gen anyways?

Ive driven pretty much EVERY Gen maxima, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th gen, in fact, my family has pretty much owned every gen, minus 7th gen. Now obviously you hop into the 7th gen, and every previous maxima seems old and out dated, but you must consider the time frame the car was built. I love my 4th gen to pieces, i love my 5th gen, but i beleive the 4th gen was a better put together car.

FWIW (1st gen- 79 datsun 810, 82 810 maxima, 2nd gen, 85 maxima, 3rd gen, 91 maxima, 4th, 98 maxima auto, 98 maxima 5mt, 01 anniversery edition, 02 sterling mist, 02 grey lustre, 03 titanium edition, 04 se 4 seat red oppulant. No 7th gen yet, dont see one entering the family either.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
btw, lightonthehill....I appreciate your sensible, coolheaded style compared with others who want to call names and act childish (myself included, occasionally)....

I always make myself take out all my frustrations on my dog before I log on. Kidding, of course; I love dogs. Except four-wheeled ones.

I try to not be too virulent with my posts because I have learned from experience that there is probably as much likelihood the other guy is right as there is that I am right. Like the BMW we discussed (and I panned) earlier in this thread. Of course the BMW 5 is a really great car, but the 5 series ranges in list price from $44K to $83K, and I don't consider a new BMW 5 series to be a car many would be shopping against the Maxima.

Having owned nothing but Maximas for 24 years, I always tend to take up for them, even though I realize they are not without faults.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:58 AM

I have to wait until the mid cycle design comes out to say if this is the best maxima.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:42 AM

Flat out NO!
This is not the best Maxima ever built.
There is no manual option.
It can't even compete with every past models.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:59 AM

maxima is more like a 4-DLC, 4-door luxury car, it does not excel in sporty driving dynamics but it is refined and luxurious, i would not call it a sport sedan.

car and driver article said: maxima should not exist, if you like fwd-4door sedan then there is altima, if you like rwd or awd then G35 fits the bill.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The '09 Maxima is not a "very special car." They're nice cars, but not "very special" by any means....
Thats like telling someone his wife aint special....how can anyone know what is or is not "Special" for everyone else? The 09 maxima certainly is for me....for my OWN reasons....if anyone is going to write opinion then dont state it in fact. How about:

The '09 maxima is not a "very special car" to me, iris44j. For Loth it certainly is a special car.

This certainly would diffuse the situation... because one's opinion is just that, and therefore nobody should argue about that.

Loth

Sorry its my first post, and i do own a 2009 winter frost maxima prem w/tech...which is very special. Its so special ill prolly never buy anything but nissan from now on!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 10:10 AM

CVT sucks. so let me know when a 5 speed swap is developed. PERIOD. thats my opinon and im stickin to it.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:42 AM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Thats like telling someone his wife aint special....how can anyone know what is or is not "Special" for everyone else? The 09 maxima certainly is for me....for my OWN reasons....if anyone is going to write opinion then dont state it in fact. How about:

The '09 maxima is not a "very special car" to me, iris44j. For Loth it certainly is a special car.

This certainly would diffuse the situation... because one's opinion is just that, and therefore nobody should argue about that.
Since you're new here, I'll let you in on a secret: Almost every post on this forum is an opinion. It's implicit that anything that expresses a view on a topic here is an opinion. But in the future I will make sure to be more explicit with you when I am stating my opinion as compared to a fact....

Now, as to the implication that the 7th generation maxima in general is a "special car" - it was not a reference to any individual's car. There are "special" maximas on here (mardigras's old 4th gen, for example). But by definition, there is nothing "special" about any stock new car (aside from a few limited-production vehicles). (OPINION)

Why?....Because "special" implies that it is rare or one-of-a-kind. And a stock maxima is neither of those. (OPINION)

The wife comparison is invalid. Every person is special, because every person is unique and no two people are exactly alike (even twins). (FACT)

Every 2009 Maxima is the same car, though there may be different options. But nobody has a "unique" maxima straight from the dealer... (FACT)

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Sorry its my first post, and i do own a 2009 winter frost maxima prem w/tech...which is very special. Its so special ill prolly never buy anything but nissan from now on!!!
If I had a dollar for every time I've heard someone say that.....I'd be rich (FACT)

Actually, about 4 years ago I was 99% sure that my next car would be another Maxima. But now the new maximas are CVT-only. So my next car will not be another Maxima (nor another Nissan) (FACT).

Things change....never say never....

Anyhow, welcome to the forum and if I may give you some advice it would be this: Don't take things so seriously or personally here. There will never be a time when everyone agrees with you. There will never be a time when someone doesn't like your car. (FACT)

This is a dicussion forum...and if we all agreed about everything, there wouldn't be much dicussion, now would there?

Last edited by irish44j; 09-09-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The new Maxima is definitely a good looking car compared to the other gens but I would say it is still ugly compared to the European sedans. The Audi A4 is the best looking sedan today IMO. The Maxima is not designed to compete with the RWD euro sedans so I think it is one of the best FWD sedan on the market at the moment.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by N1sMO
The new Maxima is definitely a good looking car compared to the other gens
even after having it grow on me I can't agree with this in the least. Compared to a 6th gen, MAYBE.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:07 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
even after having it grow on me I can't agree with this in the least. Compared to a 6th gen, MAYBE.
I think the overall package looks good, but the rear end really kills the look for me. I would also like to see a different headlight design and a grille that looks less like a largemouth bass. The side profile and fenders look damn good though, especially compared to the 6th gen...
Old 09-09-2008, 02:55 PM

I think the overall package looks good, but the rear end really kills the look for me. I would also like to see a different headlight design and a grille that looks less like a largemouth bass. The side profile and fenders look damn good though, especially compared to the 6th gen...
The thing I just can't get over is the headlights. I don't know what TF they were thinking.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:19 PM

Zargon, can you touch base with the admins at bimmerforums and see if you can get me a ModerHATER position there?

LOL. You and I have had our differences, but your are spot on here. BTW my wife and I joined the Toyota family a few weeks ago too.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by MaxShadowCT
Flat out NO!
This is not the best Maxima ever built.
There is no manual option.
It can't even compete with every past models.

Yes, for those who want a manual tranny, the '09 will not be the best Maxima ever built.

But as far as competing, the newly redesigned CVT on the '09 will more than compete with either a manual or an auto tranny, edging both in accelleration and fuel economy. The changes Nissan made to the chassi (even replacing some parts with parts from the M45) have made the '09 a very solid handler for a 3600 pound plush family sedan. And moving 3600 pounds from standstill to sixty in the 5.8 to 6.1 range is better than most, if not all of the many Maximas I have owned over the last 24 years.

This '09 Maxima may not be able to compete with past Maximas emotionally (I will always love my two '85 Maximas best), but it certainly competes physically.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by FallenOne
CVT sucks. so let me know when a 5 speed swap is developed. PERIOD. thats my opinon and im stickin to it.
Exactly how much time have you spent driving a Maxima with the CVT?
Old 09-09-2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by BluFlame
maxima is more like a 4-DLC, 4-door luxury car, it does not excel in sporty driving dynamics but it is refined and luxurious, i would not call it a sport sedan.

car and driver article said: maxima should not exist, if you like fwd-4door sedan then there is altima, if you like rwd or awd then G35 fits the bill.

Some truth to what you say, BluFlame. The 6th gen definitely was strong on the plush side. And the Maxima is not a true sports sedan. But the '09 is once again a 'sporty' sedan, and several mag testers have commented on the improved handling, smaller sports-style steering wheel, lack of lean in corners, controlled ride, and great feel of the steering in the '09. Such comments about the '09 handling as 'Nissan finally got it right' tell me all I need to know.

If Car and Driver feels the '09 Maxima is no better than the Altima, then they have obviously not fully checked out the details. The Altima is, in many ways, a variation of the 6th gen Maxima, and the '09 Maxima is an improvement over the 6th gen in almost every measureable way. I honestly feel Car and Driver is making that statement based on remembering their comparison of the Altima and the 6th gen Maxima, in which situation, it might have arguably been true.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by FallenOne

No, the CVT does not suck.

There will be many of us who prefer a manual tranny, or even an automatic tranny, and those are reasonable preferences. For those folks, the CVT is definitely not what we want.

But we must understand that the manual and automatic trannies are no longer as efficient in either accelleration or fuel economy as the newest CVT, and will gradually drop even further behind as the CVT continues to improve.

No, we may not like it, but the CVT definitely does NOT suck.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:33 PM

-I think altima is due mid-model refresh in 09, about the same time 7g gets the diesel option, it would be interesting to see how close it gets to the max. Personally, i'd never drive an altima but i can understand it is a great bargain and a great car.

-as for audis, they have the best interiors hands down, fits like an armani suit.

-future prediction: 7G is the last gen for max, it gets canceled after 5yrs as it is in a tight spot. (it becomes an optional trim level on altimas)
Old 09-09-2008, 05:42 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Yes, for those who want a manual tranny, the '09 will not be the best Maxima ever built.

But as far as competing, the newly redesigned CVT on the '09 will more than compete with either a manual or an auto tranny, edging both in accelleration and fuel economy. The changes Nissan made to the chassi (even replacing some parts with parts from the M45) have made the '09 a very solid handler for a 3600 pound plush family sedan. And moving 3600 pounds from standstill to sixty in the 5.8 to 6.1 range is better than most, if not all of the many Maximas I have owned over the last 24 years.
But can we also face the fact that the great majority of people buying the new maxima:

1. Are not particularly worried about its 0-60 or 1/4 mile times and the minimal difference the CVT will improve those vs. MT or AT. Most will be middle-aged professionals who just want a nice car to drive to work. The same people who probably also have a "crossover" SUV that isn't particularly quick as their 2nd car, or wife's car, or husband's car or whatever..

2. Should we really pay lip service to small fuel mileage gains? Do people who buy 290-hp sedans for $40k really care about the fuel economy, or do they just complain about it to "be like everyone else." Seriously. I do the same thing..I act like I care about "decent fuel economy" for my next car (buying in the spring), but I really don't....which is why none of the cars I'm conidering is under about 250hp.....For people who really are looking for a fuel-saver, they would be more likely to go for a 4-cylinder Altima, wouldn't you think?

Originally Posted by onlyoneway2rock
Exactly how much time have you spent driving a Maxima with the CVT?
Irrelevant. We've all driven automatics (which can be shifted manually) and the main complaint isn't the performance aspect. The main complaint is the lack of a gated stick shift in your right hand and a pedal under your left foot. And the CVT has neither, no matter how well it performs.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:54 PM

-I think altima is due mid-model refresh in 09, about the same time 7g gets the diesel option, it would be interesting to see how close it gets to the max. Personally, i'd never drive an altima but i can understand it is a great bargain and a great car.

-as for audis, they have the best interiors hands down, fits like an armani suit.

-future prediction: 7G is the last gen for max, it gets canceled after 5yrs as it is in a tight spot. (it becomes an optional trim level on altimas)
I doubt that Nissan will let the Maxima die. if that was the case the 6th gen would have been the best reason to kill it! IMO the 7th should have been right after the 5th in styling. The Altima had more HP and features. The Maxima at that point was living off the name and heritage of the past.

Of course we are all entitled to our opinions, but for me I feel the same way about this car as I did the 5th gen when it debuted, I loved it and wanted one. Hopefully I will have my Winter frost SV Sport/Tech package this weekend.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:02 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by drakutis
The Altima had more HP and features. The Maxima at that point was living off the name and heritage of the past.
When they redesign the Altima again, they might possibly give it more HP again. Then you'll be crying again until a new maxima comes along with more HP.......

Last edited by SmokinMaxSE; 09-09-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:42 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by SmokinMaxSE
When they redesign the Altima again, they might possibly give it more HP again. Then you'll be crying again until a new maxima comes along with more HP.......
unfortunately, we're quickly reaching the effective power ceiling for FWD cars in terms of traction (and other issues). FWD was developed as a means to make cars better in bad weather. But the future of that category is RWD-based cars with variable AWD systems....

High-HP rwd cars have the option of very wide tires in the rear to cope with the power, not to mention the rear weight shift at dig. FWD cars really have neither of those advantages. There's only so big you can go up front with tires, since you have to put an engine and steering gear up there too...
Old 09-09-2008, 09:13 PM

Yes, it is a matter of opinion. Most testers also DOGGED the looks of the 5th gen maxima when it came out.....

I've seen tons of 7th gens around here already. And they do look nice. Very clean look. But aggressive and muscular are not words that come to mind when I see the Camry-esque taillights, sorry.

Again though, that's just my opinion.

did I say they were? Camaros and Malibus aren't in the Maxima's price range or class either.....nor are Accords. Those were the three names YOU threw out initially.Didn't know we were talking about price and class...

That is funny thing for a Nissan owner to say, considering Nissan's mediocre track record in terms of reliability. Have you actually ever owned a BMW?

opinions opinions..

Funny, that's what we say about Maximas around here. All driven by 55-year old ladies.....including 5th 6th and 7th gens (and I have a 5th gen)...

Price range is actually pretty close these days. Class...no. The G35 is considered a "premium" car (Infiniti is Nissan's "premium" brand)...the Maxima is not. It's just the best Nissan...

People don't buy MTs for fuel economy these days. They buy them for driving experience. Sorry, I cannot have a pleasurable driving experience in a car with a CVT. I don't care if it's a Z06 or Porche or Maxima.

Thankfully, most of the manufacturers who make truly sporty cars continue to offer MT (standard on most BMWs, Audis, and other performance marques).

And then we'll all be automotons anyhow. They'll eliminate the steering wheel and the car will follow a programmed course. They'll eliminate all the pedals and optical sensors will keep you going the right speed and the right distance from the car ahead.

It'll be like Will Smith in I Robot, where he's in the car with the girl and he pushes a button to bring out the steering wheel. She's like "what are you doing?!!?!" and he's like "I'm going to steer for myself."

If you just want a car for a-to-b comfy transportation, that's fine by me.

Personally, I like to be in control of my car rather than some computer doing so, as much as possible.

If Nissan made an MT available on the new maxima as a "special order" option, I bet a good number of people would buy it.

The Maxima is a car without a class, really. The only similar car out there is the Acura TL.....

But "better handling" than Accord...that's debatable....

No, I haven't looked all that closely. I'm car-shopping in the spring and will buy something in the $30-40k range. But the 7th gen maxima was one of the first cars I ruled out, thanks to the CVT-only option.....

Call it nostalgia, call it what you want...but when I spend my money, I want something that I will enjoy. And I will not enjoy a CVT (or any automatic, for that matter).

I'm in Nissan's target demographic...right in the middle of their target for the 7th gen in terms of age and income level. Not to mention I'm a moderator on MAXIMA.ORG.

So it's pretty amazing that they've managed to completely rule out the new maxima for me because they're not willing to make an MT option on the car. I'd even pay extra for an MT if only there was one available from the factory.

Oh well...

Let's not go overboard here. An M5, that's a special car. A GT-R, that's a special car. ZR-1, pretty special.

The '09 Maxima is not a "very special car." Nor were any previous Maximas. They're a 6-cyl FWD sedan with CVT. There is nothing special about that.....They're nice cars, but not "very special" by any means....
I think your just going off of prestige.

I enjoy Maximas theyre fun.. sure my BMW was fun and I felt had amazing power when i needed it but my driving experience is alot more entertaining in a maxima. sorry.

But your right in prestige and price they are not comparable. neither are corvettes porches ferraris bugattis.. am I rite!@!!!@@??!@@! well duh?!
Old 09-09-2008, 09:29 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by dewd
I think your just going off of prestige.

I enjoy Maximas theyre fun.. sure my BMW was fun and I felt had amazing power when i needed it but my driving experience is alot more entertaining in a maxima. sorry.

But your right in prestige and price they are not comparable. neither are corvettes porches ferraris bugattis.. am I rite!@!!!@@??!@@! well duh?!
no, it has nothing to do with prestige in my book. If you knew my rep around here, you'd know that I am all about performance, and nothing else. Do you see any chrome wheels or body kit or big system in my maxima? I've spent more on brake upgrades than most people on here spend on body kits and rims...and that's not for prestige, that's for performance.

When car shopping, I will be again going purely on performance. My money means too much to me to throw it away on "prestige," especially since I like to keep it low-key...
Old 09-11-2008, 10:08 AM

My 99 Max is the best Max ever! (FACT) (FACT) (FACT) Enough of this IMO or IMHO FACT ! FACT ! FACT ! Moderhater HA HA HA HA, Got Haterade...
Old 09-11-2008, 10:23 AM

This is straight retarded. OPINIONS GEEEEZ. People you have to take in consideration what exactly it is you like in a vehicle. Now for me I think the 09 is the best maxima interior ever. But far as driving experience the 6spd 5.5 gen has been the best for me so far. The CVT feels to much like a faster Hybrid car to me. So still whats so great about the car to you the next individual may not even think about. So to the guy who started this I guess your best arguement could be well since its newer its better.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:01 PM

No, we may not like it, but the CVT definitely does NOT suck.

Nice silky 6 speed would be nice. Does Infiniti uses CVT?

If I'm not worng the g35x uses the JATCO 5AT, the GT-R's DCT, and the upcoming 7AT in that.

If the next car i buy for performance offers a "DSG" or "DCT" like tranny im skipping the stick and ill let the computer handle the shifts.

The 1 series auto comes with the new DCT tranny scheduled for 09 is supposed to be even faster than that. I think the m3 will have that new tranny this summer.

Last edited by Yaco_Max; 09-11-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

5.5 was the best ever!
I think they tried to get back to a 5.5 and they almost did it.
2002 Maxima for the win, 2nd is the 4 gen, 3rd is the 7th gen and the 6th gen is dead last. Sorry 6th gen owners but its the truth.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:45 PM

the fact is I never even noticed maximas until the 6th gen. Previous models look seriously dated to me. So its really just personal preference. I do like the 7th Gen exterior. A lot. Not so crazy about some of the interior.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:28 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by tmas74
the fact is I never even noticed maximas until the 6th gen.
that's because the 6th gen's big a s s is much more noticeable in traffic or a parking lot

Old 09-11-2008, 05:49 PM

even nissan admitted that they were lost with 6gen.

and 4yrs from now nissan will say what the heck we were thinking building that 7gen.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:45 PM

even nissan admitted that they were lost with 6gen.

and 4yrs from now nissan will say what the heck we were thinking building that 7gen.
The 6th gen definitely slipped to the plush side of the traditional Maxima image. But the 7th gen is not exactly supposed to totally return to the old Maxima image; it is supposed to be an upscale, near luxury flagship sedan for Nissan. That means the plush must stay, but also be accompanied by a more muscular, athletic look, and an ability to show a sporty performance, which the 6th gen did not do very well.

I don't see Nissan regretting anything about the 7th gen.

Testers are already commenting on the improvement in handling with the '09. Many of us oldies who grew up with sticks, as well as younger folks who like to play with a manual, are not excited about losing the stick. But the CVT is the tranny of the future.

When weight of vehicle, size of engine, etc, are factored in, this new CVT in the '09 Maxima is, for the first time, edging by the old style trannies in accelleration and fuel economy. That had to happen at some point, because a trannies that never have to shift will, as they evolve, have to be better than any shifting tranny in accelleration and fuel economy. That is inevitable.

Pointing to other vehicles that do not have the CVT as proof the CVT is not the tranny of the future is simply baying at the moon. Within a few years, this will be obvious to everybody. This doesn't mean we have to like it. But it will happen.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 09-11-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:10 PM

cvt still have major issues, like cant handle high torq and rwd-awd application.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:23 AM

cvt still have major issues, like cant handle high torq and rwd-awd application.

I agree with you that the CVT may not yet be as well-suited for RWD vehicles, and will admit I don't know how well the CVT may work with AWD vehicles. Does the Murano use a CVT on its AWD version? I realy don't know.

The CVT may not yet be suited for very high torque situations, but certainly is having no trouble with the '09 Maxima's ample power, and the percentage of passenger cars sold these days with higher torque than the Maxima is shrinking daily, as folks are rushing to smaller, fuel-efficient vehicles. Of course the CVT will evolve to where it can handle more power also.

In any event, the CVT is the most efficient tranny for the Maxima. Nissan knew this, so was willing to endure the indignation of that 3% of us loyal fans who are diehard manual junkies, and go with what they knew was most efficient. I was not totally happy with this decision, but had to admire the guts they showed in making it.

Having bumbled around for 35 years in RWD vehicles, then experiencing the better traction, offroad ability and all-around mobility of FWD for 24 years, I would never consider a RWD vehicle again, so will almost surely be driving a CVT the rest of my life.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:18 AM

wow... amazing conversation in this post here

From ppl catching up to see the new maxima to euro bashing to coming back to design of the 7th gen, the title of this thread definately seems to mislead the reader LOL.

I'll just chime in about my 01 330ci here... yes, even today it turns heads on the road and ppl looking at it as i come to a halt at a red light or a parking lot. My reasoning to buy it was not that though. I enjoyed tracking it while i could and now i enjoy the car for touring, the purpose it was built for! And touch wood.. till date it has not gone to the dealership for anything outside the normal service. The only recall on it was a cooling fan thingie done early in her life. I do work on it myself and its been a pleasure not to even jack the car up to do an oil change.

I have been more than happy with my 5th gen auto too!! 166K miles and no dealer visit except for an alternator recall. I work on her myself too and the day i detail her to bring the gloss out of her sherwood green paint.. even she turns heads LOL.

IMO with regards to particularly design, Nissan has actually been conservative with the 7th gen. Initially I was thinking to myself what did they do, like why the buldges etc and the shape of the lights etc, but on a closer look the design flows. Now compare this with a car in similar price range the Acura TL and I think to myself did the Acura designer let his 5 yr old design this car? On the road it looks hideous, but yes people will look at it too, not to admire it but actually say "yikes! whats darth vader doing here"

You have a new car, and I'm sure you love it. Enjoy it while the experience lasts, peace!
Old 09-12-2008, 04:15 PM

First of all noone here should say 7th gen is ugly ......... i seen it at dealer and trust me if i had the cash now i would never think twice about a god dam camry or accord ...........hell if i had the chance ill rather get a 08 Altima instead of Camry ..............Accord = POS = Freakin Ugly /////Camry=Just plain weird design (exterior) ............Also btw a 6th gen Maxima is far far far better than a freakin Camry so dont even compare them to eachother
Old 09-12-2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by kukx30de
wow... amazing conversation in this post here

From ppl catching up to see the new maxima to euro bashing to coming back to design of the 7th gen, the title of this thread definately seems to mislead the reader LOL.

I'll just chime in about my 01 330ci here... yes, even today it turns heads on the road and ppl looking at it as i come to a halt at a red light or a parking lot. My reasoning to buy it was not that though. I enjoyed tracking it while i could and now i enjoy the car for touring, the purpose it was built for! And touch wood.. till date it has not gone to the dealership for anything outside the normal service. The only recall on it was a cooling fan thingie done early in her life. I do work on it myself and its been a pleasure not to even jack the car up to do an oil change.

I have been more than happy with my 5th gen auto too!! 166K miles and no dealer visit except for an alternator recall. I work on her myself too and the day i detail her to bring the gloss out of her sherwood green paint.. even she turns heads LOL.

IMO with regards to particularly design, Nissan has actually been conservative with the 7th gen. Initially I was thinking to myself what did they do, like why the buldges etc and the shape of the lights etc, but on a closer look the design flows. Now compare this with a car in similar price range the Acura TL and I think to myself did the Acura designer let his 5 yr old design this car? On the road it looks hideous, but yes people will look at it too, not to admire it but actually say "yikes! whats darth vader doing here"

You have a new car, and I'm sure you love it. Enjoy it while the experience lasts, peace!

Moderators: This is a prime example of a calm, logical, sensible, well-worded and rational post. I thought such posts were considered boring, hence no longer to be permitted here. Have I misunderstood?
Old 09-12-2008, 06:23 PM
retired moderator

Moderators: This is a prime example of a calm, logical, sensible, well-worded and rational post. I thought such posts were considered boring, hence no longer to be permitted here. Have I misunderstood?
Presently there is actually no moderator assigned to the 7th gen forums at all anyhow

That's why you guys are stuck with me here for a little while. I've been a bit bored with the 5th gen forum recently and someone needs to keep all the noobs here in line

btw, calm, logical, sensible, well-worded and rational posts are only allowed in the 4th gen forum these days...

wait...that's not correct. Disregard.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

IMO, it goes like this

3rd gen - DOHC 5 speed was awesome, real IRS, loved my '93
5.5 gen - Love the HLSD, 6 speed, and power. Handling was kinda crappy, looks good
7th gen - I like the look but I think the real Maxima is dead. CVT kills it. If a manual is such a niche vehicle then why can you get it on both the Alti and the G? That's cars directly below and above the Max. Makes no sense to me.
5th gen - Hated the headlights
4th gen - Never liked it.

And who remembers the 1st and 2nd gen? Too long ago.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by ptviperz
If a manual is such a niche vehicle then why can you get it on both the Alti and the G? That's cars directly below and above the Max. Makes no sense to me.

And who remembers the 1st and 2nd gen? Too long ago.

Alti gets manual for two reasons:
(1) - Volume vehicle - Nissan hopes to sell a quarter million or more copies. That opens the door for some lower-volume options such as a manual.
(2) - Nissan said back in the early 1980s that the Maxima would be moved up to near-luxury, and its 4DSC role would be filled by the 3.5 Altima. The release of the 6th gen followed that mantra. But after Gohsn entered the picture, Nissan decided to put a sporty side back in the Maxima, although keeping it at the near-luxury level. So the 7th gen has very solid handling, plenty of power, and several override options (including 'manual' and 'sport') on its new, efficient and much-improved CVT.

G35 gets a manual because Infiniti is billed as a luxury performance line, and the prices involved cover the cost of a manual option. The big factor here is that by 2006, only 2% of Maxima buyers were getting the manual, while the percentage of manual buyers for the G35 has never been that low.

As for remembering the first two Maxima generations, I had two 1985 Maximas, and I will go to my grave holding those two wonderful beauties in my heart as my very favorite vehicles of a lifetime. I will have been driving sixty years next summer, having driven many dozens of vehicles. I sometimes see the last '85 Maxima I let go at 206,000 very happy miles still easing around town here, and the very sight of it brings a rush of pure joy to my heart.

I also have a very close friend of over forty years who still says his 1983 diesel Maxima was his favorite car. He drove it almost twenty years.

We owe it to our love of Maximas to never forget our heritage.

Quick Reply: Is the 09 the Best Maxima Ever???