7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Help! I'm new here and have a question....

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:50 AM

whats the differen between the Stillen exhaust and OEM exhaust...and is it worth the $?
Old 04-02-2009, 12:51 AM

I have the sv with the technology package, just wondering if I could go back to the dealer and have them install the cold package at a later date.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Heads Up, Im New!

Hello All,
I been going through all the posts, and I am a little blown back by all the high tech talk. Alot of this is new to me, but anyways here it goes.
My new 09 Maxima is my first car, got a really good job and can pay for some of the aftermarket features and want to get some input from you all.
1. I'm planning on putting some Lexani rims . . . 20s or 22s?
2. The Maxima is a really nice car, do I put my subs (two alpine Rs)in there?
3. What are some quick and easy performance mods I can add to the car?
4. I did not get the tech package (regrettably), can I compensate with aftermarket adjustments? (Navigation, rearview cam, hard drive)

And anything else you guys want to throw in, it would be much appreciated. Thanks again all.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima2009
I have the sv with the technology package, just wondering if I could go back to the dealer and have them install the cold package at a later date.

The cold package consists of heated steering wheel, heated front seats and heated outside mirrors. All this would require installing not only the heating systems into those five units (2 seats, 2 mirrors and steering wheel), but also running wiring to those five systems and to the controlling switches which must also be installed.

Installed at the factory, the cold package has an invoice around $350, and an MSRP just over $400. But I would be impressed if this could be added later by a dealer for under $1000. But you might ask a few and see what they say. Some aftermarket shops might do this cheaper, but I would insist they use all OEM parts.

Of course, if the steering wheel or mirrors have to be replaced, we have a whole different (and higher ticket) ball game.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 04-02-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
The cold package consists of heated steering wheel, heated front seats and heated outside mirrors. All this would require installing not only the heating systems into those five units (2 seats, 2 mirrors and steering wheel), but also running wiring to those five systems and to the controlling switches which must also be installed.

Installed at the factory, the cold package has an invoice around $350, and an MSRP just over $400. But I would be impressed if this could be added later by a dealer for under $1000. But you might ask a few and see what they say. Some aftermarket shops might do this cheaper, but I would insist they use all OEM parts.

Of course, if the steering wheel or mirrors have to be replaced, we have a whole different (and higher ticket) ball game.

I am appreciate the help lightonthehill. If I ever find out I will let you know. Wonder if anybody has tried this yet.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by frostymax
Hi all,
This is my first post. I bought an 09 Maxima in December and love everything about it except...that GPS. Here is my issue. When using the route guidance, the route the GPS chooses is rarely, if ever, the shortest or fastest route. I found this out when my husband put in his work address which is a 60 mile commute. It told him to take a route that put him very far to the east and then brought him back west instead of placing him on a direct route on our turnpike. We then tried again when traveling from West Palm Beach to Tampa. Route guidance wanted us to drive north to Orlando, then south again to Tampa. This would have been 28 miles and maybe 30 minutes out of our way. Shortest, Fastest or minimize freeways never put us on the actual fastest, shortest route (SR 60). We have contacted Nissan in CA who puts the responsibility on Zenrin who then tells us it's Nissan's equipment. Took it back to the dealership today and all they could do is recalibrate the thing. Still not right.
Is anyone else having issues with this? If you haven't used your Route Guidance please try putting in a destination which you already know the fastest and shortest route and see what it does for you. I would love any feedback. Thanks everyone!
Just an update on my GPS issues. I rec'd a call from a computer programmer kind of person who supplies the info to Navteq and he's trying to figure out what's up w/ my GPS. So still no answers, but at least someone is looking into it.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bumper hole

what's up ladies and gents? well i must say the max has taken its first blemish. my dad backed over it and it now has a hole in the back bumper from the tailhitch, probably would have been worse if not for the tailhitch. we're gonna call the insurance company on monday because it has to be fixed. what do you all think it would cost to fix?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Has anyone had any issues with bluetooth? For the past 3 months mine has been working fine. The other day I started the car and my phone wouldn't coneect. So I resatrted my phone, still nothing. Turned the car off, nothing.

Any ideas?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

splash guard install

Greetisng, am new to this but saw postings about splash guards for `09 Maxima. Just unpacked mine and only parts list. Anyone figure out the install?
Thanks,
Old 04-07-2009, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by John Mack
Greetisng, am new to this but saw postings about splash guards for `09 Maxima. Just unpacked mine and only parts list. Anyone figure out the install?
Thanks,

Mine came with the splash guards already on, but several here have installed them after purchase, and should respond when they see your post. They have already posted that it was not hard. I will now guess as to how they did it:

They fit right behind the tires. All four are installed by screwing a few screws upward from the bottom, and two screws each attaching the vertical portion against the face of the interior of the wheel well. I think I remember they said the place to drive the screws was already somehow marked.

Reaching the face of the interior of the wheel well is easy in front, because you can turn the wheels sharply and have full access. The rear is more difficult because it is inches from the tire. Either you have to have some sort of offset screwdriver, or remove the rear wheels, or switch the Phillips screws that come with the guards for hex-head screws that can be turned from the side.

Because the OEM guards are primarily for styling (do little to protect the side of the car), I removed the two face screws from each guard so I could add carefully crafted hard rubber flaps (which I made from generic flaps I picked up at Pep Boys) up against the OEM guards. These flaps stick just a few inches below the OEM guards (2 1/2" for the fronts and 3" for the rears, also reaching very slightly out to the side of the car on the lower portion). So far, they seem to keep most road garbage off the car. These flaps are not noticable unless you are looking right at them. So far, they have worked very well. Better than my AVS VentShades, but that is another story for another thread.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:53 AM
Love my '09

Light was darn close.

the screws were actually in the wheelwell area. the snap pins were on the bottom and those are predrilled.

I had to take the back 2 wheels completely off since I didn't have a really SMALL screwdriver. VERY tight fit. Hehehe.

All in all, it took about 15 mins for all 4.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:50 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by Compusmurf
Light was darn close.

the screws were actually in the wheelwell area. the snap pins were on the bottom and those are predrilled.

I had to take the back 2 wheels completely off since I didn't have a really SMALL screwdriver. VERY tight fit. Hehehe.

All in all, it took about 15 mins for all 4.

Did that 15 minutes include jacking up the rear of the car, removing and re-installing the rear wheels, plus torquing each lug to 85 ft lbs? Surely a person as 'into' Maximas as you are would never 'guess' on torque?
Old 04-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Love my '09

I'd have to recheck the torque. I had the number written down somewhere. I also checked all 4 for air pressure at the same time. Does that count for the memory loss that I suffer?
Old 04-10-2009, 02:00 AM

I'd have to recheck the torque. I had the number written down somewhere. I also checked all 4 for air pressure at the same time. Does that count for the memory loss that I suffer?

Knowing you checked the psi in your tires is a big plus as far as I am concerned. Every parking lot I drive through, I see a dozen tires that can't have more than 15 psi in them. Folks just aren't paying attention to their tires. I am so **** I have exactly 35 1/2 psi in each tire, and check them (when cold) every week.

When you have a chance, just be sure and confirm each lug is torqued at exactly 85 ft lbs. That is what the manual calls for on this '09. I personally torque mine to 82 ft lbs, but since this is a safety issue, I never post here why I use 3 psi less than Nissan specifies, for fear others will do the same, and I would eventually end up as the object of a lawsuit if someone's wheel fell off.

I used a torque setting of 75 ft lbs on my 6th gen, and my son torques his TL Type 'S' at 72 ft lbs.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Im fixing to install an amp into my new Maxima, but I can't seem to find a hole in the firewall to run my power wire from the hood to the trunk. Does anyone know where it is?
Old 04-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Base model?

Sorry if this has been covered, but here goes.
I'm considering a base model with just the cloth interior.
How many of you have the base model and do you regret not upgrading?
I can't spend 35+ on a sticker right now. One son graduates in 3 weeks, and the other one still has two years left at BC.
Thanks.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Love my '09

Originally Posted by Usman21986
Has anyone had any issues with bluetooth? For the past 3 months mine has been working fine. The other day I started the car and my phone wouldn't coneect. So I resatrted my phone, still nothing. Turned the car off, nothing.

Any ideas?
I missed this one. First. What kind of phone. I heard rumors that the iphone with some new firmware broke something.

Second. Try deleting the phone from the max and re-pair it and see if it works then.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:15 PM

I have not used the music box yet, just wondering if it is easy to add and delete songs off of the hard drive? Can I delete certain songs or do I have to delete the whole cd?
It is very easy to add cds and take them out and as well as individual songs. You can also set the music box to record any cd that you put into the car. I have gotten about 170 cds stored on it. I probably could have recorded more cds if I didn't set at high quality recording.

Question, I was checking with the dealer when I got my max. Most of the new cars doesn't need worry about the break-in period as much. Few times I did pass the 4k rpm mark, but did it after the 600 mile period. The car has over 10k miles it already and it still runs like a champ.

Manoj
Old 04-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fog lights install

Hi Everyone,

I just leased 09 maxima S - the only thing that I am missing from all the toys are the fog lights but I really dont want to pay dealer price to add them(plus I don't like their color). I was wondering if I was to get an aftermarket lights - how hard is to install them? Any chance the wiring harness for fog lights is on place even though I do not have them?

Thank you
Alex
Old 04-27-2009, 03:19 PM

HomeLink Programming Issues

I can't seem to get the HomeLink to connect to my garage door opener. HomeLink programmed fine on my wife's Lexus and my Audi but no dice on the Maxima.

I cleared the setting (holding button #1 and #3 for 20 seconds until the light flashes).

I hit the learn button on my garage door opener, it flashes, hit the #1 button 3 times.. nothing.

I've tried hitting the button fast, slow 3 times and more. Nothing.

Any tips or just me with this issue?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

We're still on the fence about a new S model.
What other cars did anyone consider before purchasing?
I know it's not apples to apples, but we are still considering an accord.
I'm surprised to see dimensionally the accord is bigger in almost every area ( I know not by much). Even the altima is bigger in some dimensions.
The maxma looks much bigger to me.
Go ahead, beat me up, I can take it.
Thanks.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Love my '09

For the 09, Honestly I didn't consider anything else.

For the 07 I had, I considered the Accord and the Avalon.

I previously had an Accord. The only bad thing I can say about it was that it's a boring car to drive. Not that it's bad. It's very predictable, very reliable.

I did take the Altima for a spin, it was quite nice, but like the Accord, and the Camry, it's a "me too" car. Every 5th vehicle you see on the street is an Accord, Camry or Altima. Again, not that anything is wrong with it, but that just doesn't suit me well.

The Avalon. Very nice, quite refined, but the seats just didn't fit me well at all.

These are my views, and only my views. The only one that can TRULY answer that for you, is you.

Try them all on for size. See what is you.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

For the 09, Honestly I didn't consider anything else.

For the 07 I had, I considered the Accord and the Avalon.

I previously had an Accord. The only bad thing I can say about it was that it's a boring car to drive. Not that it's bad. It's very predictable, very reliable.

I did take the Altima for a spin, it was quite nice, but like the Accord, and the Camry, it's a "me too" car. Every 5th vehicle you see on the street is an Accord, Camry or Altima. Again, not that anything is wrong with it, but that just doesn't suit me well.

The Avalon. Very nice, quite refined, but the seats just didn't fit me well at all.

These are my views, and only my views. The only one that can TRULY answer that for you, is you.

Try them all on for size. See what is you.

These are the types of things I want to hear, other peoples opinions.
No problem here.
I agree with pretty much everything you said.
Thanks, and keep em coming.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

how long should the break in period be?
Old 04-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Love my '09

Originally Posted by max09si

WOW! There's a loaded question for you.....

20 people will give you 20 responses.

3k miles? 10k Miles? 25k miles? Until you get your first scratch or dent?

Without analyzing the particulate matter in the oil, the wear and seating of things like piston rings, etc, you'll never get an exact and perfect answer. Tolerances change from year to year.

A mechanic that worked on engines 10 years will give you a different answer than a mechanic working on today's tighter tolerance engines. Get your 20 different opinions and find a good, reasonable average that works for you.

My opinion? 10K miles.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:19 PM

I was told by somebody in these forums that I was not supposed to go over 4000 rpms until 1200 miles. I wish I knew the correct answer.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:16 AM

Hi all. Thought I had more than 15 posts, but I guess the counter doesn't lie. Anyway... does anyone have the "Digi-Shield" installed on their hood and mirrors? My Super Black 2009 Max looks terrible where that sticky film is installed after the Spring pollen has fallen on it. It just always looks dirty to me. Was wondering if anyone had had it removed with success. What a shame to throw away a $389 option, but this stuff looks like you-know-what. I had to have the hood section reinstalled on Day 2 after I found a large scuff mark on it... thought that was the whole reason for this material- scratch-proof. Also, a bird pooped on it the other day (right after washing the car) and after sitting there a couple of hours, it left a foggy stain on the film after I removed the poop. Comments?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by steve8
Sorry if this has been covered, but here goes.
I'm considering a base model with just the cloth interior.
How many of you have the base model and do you regret not upgrading?
I can't spend 35+ on a sticker right now. One son graduates in 3 weeks, and the other one still has two years left at BC.
Thanks.
I'm in the same boat. I got what I could afford. I love my new maxi s. I do not have any regrets. I will probably upgrade a little at a time. I kept my 2005 Pathfinder for my son so I am happy. Besides, I would rather have a base model maxi than an accord or cam.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by TLCC
I'm in the same boat. I got what I could afford. I love my new maxi s. I do not have any regrets. I will probably upgrade a little at a time. I kept my 2005 Pathfinder for my son so I am happy. Besides, I would rather have a base model maxi than an accord or cam.

I almost bought one yesterday.
Do you mind me asking what you paid?
We are still considering an accord EX-L vs the maxima s, but the accord is awfully dull.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by steve8
I almost bought one yesterday.
Do you mind me asking what you paid?
We are still considering an accord EX-L vs the maxima s, but the accord is awfully dull.
$25,800 out the door
Old 05-06-2009, 06:16 AM

I was told by somebody in these forums that I was not supposed to go over 4000 rpms until 1200 miles. I wish I knew the correct answer.
Yes, that is in the owner's manual. It has specifics on break-in period.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by max09si

Depends on how much you want to baby your car, and how long you plan to keep it. Nissan specifies things such as not exceeding 4K RPMs the first 1200 miles, and that is probably adequate. But I always break mine in very carefully, and as a result, have put as much as 206,000 miles on my Maximas with no significant problems.

I personally hold my Maximas below 3.5K RPMs the first 1K miles, below 4K RPMs the first 2K miles, below 4.5K RPMs the first 3K miles, below 5K RPMs the first 4K miles, and below 5.5K RPMs the first 5K miles. Because of the RPM limits I am observing, I work my acelleration rate up gradually, and reach full-throttle takeoffs at around 5K miles.

I am also careful to break my braking system in gradually, so the parts will have developed a complete 'fit' before I begin very hard braking.

Nissan has always said to avoid holding the same speed/RPMs for extended periods the first 1200 miles. I try to do this for at least 2K miles.

In the old days, I always changed the oil after the first 1K miles, in order to get any metal particles, etc, that may have been left in the new engine out. But times have changed, and there are no metal particles left in the new engines Nissan is building these days. I do check the 'build date' inside the driver's door, and if the car was built several months before I purchased it (has been sitting on the dealer lot), I take that into consideration in setting the date for my first oil change.

I understand I am clearly babying my Maximas. But I have owned nothing but Maximas since October of 1984, and as long as those Maximas continue to baby me (almost never have a significant problem with them), I will continue to baby them.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:51 AM

Anyone know if Stillen sells gift certificates? My bday is coming up and want one....Did an unsuccessful search already. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Love my '09

Originally Posted by ANNINO
Anyone know if Stillen sells gift certificates? My bday is coming up and want one....Did an unsuccessful search already. Thanks.
Josh from Stillen is on this forum. Send him a PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:50 AM

Thanks, Got the answer I needed.

FYI- Gift Certificates are available even if they aren't listed online. Just need to call the Sales Department.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey hows it going?

I just got the SV w/out nav, so my radio interface is analog. In the top left hand corner of the radio, there is a satellite signal icon and right next to it is an icon that resembles battery usage. What is that icon for? I've looked in the owners manual and everything and can not find it.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by dwayne1376
hey hows it going?

I just got the SV w/out nav, so my radio interface is analog. In the top left hand corner of the radio, there is a satellite signal icon and right next to it is an icon that resembles battery usage. What is that icon for? I've looked in the owners manual and everything and can not find it.
that is the battery reading for your phone connected through blu tooth.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Mreim769
that is the battery reading for your phone connected through blu tooth.
Wow.. Okay.. Thats why I couldnt find it.. I would have never thought to look at the blue tooth sections. Thats awsome.. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:24 PM

Unhappy

Just got my 2009 Dark Slate with Premium Package 5 days ago.

But for my first post here I have to say I already have my first problems, has anyone else seen these?

Already the passenger side door lock/unlock solenoid stopped functioning. Also none of the dome lights or vanity mirror lights work as well. Yes the switch is set to "door". Both problems came about at the same time. Is this an indication of the Body Control Module failing or perhaps a door switch failure? When the engine is running and the passenger door is open that is at least displayed on the center information display. I downloaded the Service manual found here, but it's hard to follow.
I have dealer appointment set for Friday morning.

Also what is the GPS modification I hear about as well?
Old 05-14-2009, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by 09Maxima_Sam
Just got my 2009 Dark Slate with Premium Package 5 days ago.

But for my first post here I have to say I already have my first problems, has anyone else seen these?

Already the passenger side door lock/unlock solenoid stopped functioning. Also none of the dome lights or vanity mirror lights work as well. Yes the switch is set to "door". Both problems came about at the same time. Is this an indication of the Body Control Module failing or perhaps a door switch failure? When the engine is running and the passenger door is open that is at least displayed on the center information display. I downloaded the Service manual found here, but it's hard to follow.
I have dealer appointment set for Friday morning.

Also what is the GPS modification I hear about as well?

Wow! I hate to see problems with a new Maxima. The vanity mirror lights are independent of door switches, so this may be unrelated to the other problems. Do the dome lights work when you turn the overhead switch to 'on'? Are they not working no matter which door you open? From your post, I gather they worked when you first got the car.

The passenger door solenoid sounds like a warranty fix. I assume the solenoids still work on both rear doors?

This sounds like you will have a lot to tell the service manager Friday morning.

Quick Reply: Help! I'm new here and have a question....