7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Front driver seat fix from Nissan!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:14 PM

Front driver seat fix from Nissan!!

Went to dealer today to change oil and spoke about the front seat movement issue. They have heard about it and I presented them with a part number that was posted on this site for possible solution. Well they told me that the part number was a complete seat frame for $1500.00 and that if I wanted they would replace it but do not see why I would just put back on what will be taking off. Anyway, they call Nissan tech. and they advised them that they are very much aware of the issue and that there will be a kit coming out to fix it as soon as the kit is "confirmed" (I believe that's the word he used). My service dealer (also friend) said that relates to around a month or so before it is posted. He told me by the time I go for my next oil change, they should be able to address the moving seat issue. Just thought I would pass along the info!!!!! Take it for what its worth.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Back in the Max

thanks a lot for the info....
Old 07-02-2009, 05:26 AM

The overall good news is that there will be a fix in kit form!!
Old 07-02-2009, 11:11 AM

It makes sense that simply replacing the original seat frame (for $1500!) might just leave you back where you started. I think that may be why some of those here who got early 'fixes' still have the problem. The hope of a true fix may soon be realized.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:55 PM

It took 3 fix attempts before they got authorization to change the whole frame assembly. Apparently the frame that was installed was refined in some way. Whatever it was I am glad it is fixed!
Old 07-04-2009, 05:50 AM

Thanks
This is good to read. I thougt I was going crazy, but I noticed my seat moving when I stopped or started, even gently.
So am I in for a battle with my dealer to get this fixed?
Are there specifics, like a Tech Note, or Kit # I need to give my dealer?
Old 07-04-2009, 07:36 AM

Official Bulletin from Nissan

Thanks for the info. It would be helpful if someone could post the official Nissan bulletin when the kit/solution becomes available as was done on this site for the rocking front passenger seat problem. This problem has bugged me from day #1 which has been a long time ago. Shame on you Nissan for letting this go for such a long time.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:31 AM
LT1
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks

I noticed this problem the day after I purchased my 09. I took it back to the dealer but they didn't fix it. Hopefully the bulletin will be out soon.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:12 PM

Hi -

I am having the same problem.. Been to the dealer... I am printing list to show to the dealer...

Rob
Old 07-05-2009, 06:26 PM

He did not mention a kit number etc.. He did say that the ones that replaced the whole frame will end up with the same problem in the near future. Its just that the particular frame they installed may be a little tighter and will work itself loose in time. The frames are the same etc...
Old 07-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

TOOK MY CAR TO THE DEALER THIS MORNING REGARDING THE DRIVER SEAT MOVEMENT, EMPLOYEE STATED HE'S HAD PEOPLE COME IN FOR THAT ISSUE. STILL WAITING FOR CALL FROM DEALER TO SEE WHAT IT IS.....ITS BEEN SINCE 8AM(PST) THAT I DROPPED OFF MY CAR AND ITS ALMOST 3PM(PST) HOPEFULLY THERES A FIX FOR IT.....
Old 07-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

JUST CALLED THE DEALER......

ADVISOR TOLD ME THERES A BULLETIN OUT FOR THE "PASSENGER SEAT ONLY"....DRIVER SEAT THERE ISNT....BUT THE TECH WENT AHEAD AND ORDERED THE WHOLE ASSEMBLY FRAME FOR THE DRIVER SEAT REGARDLESS. I WAS JUST TOLD THAT THEY MAY NEED TO SEND MY CAR OUT TO ANOTHER PLACE TO REMOVE THE SEAT FROM THE FRAME NEEDING THEY DONT HAVE THE TOOLS TO REPLACE IT AT "NISSAN" WITHOUT DAMAGING THE LEATHER....SO IT LOOKS LIKE THERE A FIX. GOTTA WAIT AND SEE UNTIL THE PART COMES IN FOR RESULTS....ILL KEEP U GUYS POSTED...
Old 07-07-2009, 08:52 PM

So I would encourage people to Nissan USA - I did and they opened a case for me. The dealer would not install the kit because of the cost. If everyone opens a case then maybe Nissan would open a recall.

I have to question the safety of the seat that is not firmly mounted...

Rob
Old 07-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Banned

This is getting annoying!

I now have over 26,000 miles on my ’09 Max and I need the seat fixed. Every stop, every launch a seat rock. No other problems with the car, just this one! I do work for a few Nissan dealers in the Pacific Northwest and once I hear something, I will try and post it, too.

Scott
Old 07-21-2009, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by partsace
I now have over 26,000 miles on my ’09 Max and I need the seat fixed. Every stop, every launch a seat rock. No other problems with the car, just this one! I do work for a few Nissan dealers in the Pacific Northwest and once I hear something, I will try and post it, too.Scott

Most of us name our babies. You could name yours 'Roackaby baby.'

Getting serious, it is probably good that my seat does not rock, because I would have torn the whole assembly apart by now, convinced I could solve this riddle. The fact Nissan is having trouble solving it tells me I would probably have been unsuccessful. But I surely would have tried. And tried. And tried.

The possibility exists that Nissan finally has developed a fix for this rocking, but doesn't have a significant supply of the corrected seat assemblies available yet, so is using the whole current production of good assemblies on the 2010 Maximas now coming off the assembly line. Nissan has done this sort of thing before, and I can see their point of view. But I suspect those faithful '09 owners with rocking seats would see this differently . . .
Old 07-21-2009, 05:32 AM

I finally resolved the rocking seat problem but now the cushion that pulls out on the seat will not lock, it keeps popping open when I drive. Back to the dealer I go. This has to be the worst seat I ever owned on a car. It is starting to get old!
Old 07-29-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by nemesis04
I finally resolved the rocking seat problem but now the cushion that pulls out on the seat will not lock, it keeps popping open when I drive. Back to the dealer I go. This has to be the worst seat I ever owned on a car. It is starting to get old!

How exactly did you get it resolved? Did the dealer replace the frame?
Old 07-30-2009, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by ovilla
How exactly did you get it resolved? Did the dealer replace the frame?
Yes they did. The seat is still rock solid.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:13 PM

Scott - Have they been able to fix the rockin seat problem ??? My dealer and Nissian USA tell me there is absolutly nothing wrong with the seat... I am about to drive the car over a bridge.... It is so annoying....
Old 08-03-2009, 08:43 AM

Will be back in approx 3 weeks for my next oil change. Will check on the status of the seat issue!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by tse54re
Scott - Have they been able to fix the rockin seat problem ??? My dealer and Nissian USA tell me there is absolutly nothing wrong with the seat... I am about to drive the car over a bridge.... It is so annoying....

Dealer told me the exact same thing last week here in Boston
Nissan says its not an issue
but I am ready to torch this $40,000.00 rocking chair

Last edited by SteveHas; 08-03-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by SteveHas
Dealer told me the exact same thing last week here in Boston
Nissan says its not an issue
but I am ready to torch this $40,000.00 rocking chair

I agree that Nissan has not handled this rocking seat thing well at all. Very disappointing. But please tell me you didn't pay ANYWHERE NEAR $40K. You should be able to get everything - the whole package - Premium, Tech, etc, for around $34.5 or less. And the base 'S' version used by leasing companies is available for between $23.8 and $25K almost everywhere.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I agree that Nissan has not handled this rocking seat thing well at all. Very disappointing. But please tell me you didn't pay ANYWHERE NEAR $40K. You should be able to get everything - the whole package - Premium, Tech, etc, for around $34.5 or less. And the base 'S' version used by leasing companies is available for between $23.8 and $25K almost everywhere.
Of course thats not what I paid, but that sticker price is important in the context of this conversation as that is the value, and price range that Nissan is marketing this car in
It really doesn't belong there from what I've seen so far
Old 08-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Banned

No service file, yet?

Originally Posted by tse54re
Took the car in today and the seat rails have been ordered. This is the first car that has had the D/S seat rocking problem with this dealer. I have called 2 other dealers in the area and none of them have heard of the D/S seat rocking problem. On top of that, the dealer that order the parts today was the ONLY one that knew about the P/S seat issue.

When I was hanging out in the parts department, I looked up the part numbers for the seat frame, rails and back-support and none of the part numbers have been superseded to a new number. It looks like I will be getting the same crappy parts that were installed in the car from the factory and this problem will show it’s ugly face again. The really bad news is that the seat parts are the same from 5/08 to current production models. This issue will come to be a thorn in Nissan side!

Scott
Old 08-04-2009, 08:10 PM

I have also noticed that my diver seat moves a little when I accelerate and brake or when I push my feet against the floor while sitting on the seat. Is this how others would describe this issue?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Banned

Yes, that is a good way to describe it and it's only going to get worse! Mine moves a good 1" in each direction.

Scott
Old 08-04-2009, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by partsace
When I was hanging out in the parts department, I looked up the part numbers for the seat frame, rails and back-support and none of the part numbers have been superseded to a new number. It looks like I will be getting the same crappy parts that were installed in the car from the factory and this problem will show it’s ugly face again. The really bad news is that the seat parts are the same from 5/08 to current production models. This issue will come to be a thorn in Nissan side!

Scott

partsace - I don't blame you for not getting your hopes up, but there is a chance the new parts will work. Only a dozen or so of the hundreds of posters here on the ORG have had the rocking seat problem, and all '09 Maximas have the same parts you will be getting. There is a chance the new parts, even though they are just like the ones you had, will work perfectly in your car as they do in mine. Quality of installation can make a difference.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:56 PM

nice stuff, glad their fixing it!
Old 08-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Back in the Max

partsace - I don't blame you for not getting your hopes up, but there is a chance the new parts will work. Only a dozen or so of the hundreds of posters here on the ORG have had the rocking seat problem, and all '09 Maximas have the same parts you will be getting. There is a chance the new parts, even though they are just like the ones you had, will work perfectly in your car as they do in mine. Quality of installation can make a difference.
I think most, if not all 2009 maximas have this same problem, but its the people who are taller and/or heavier then other members and have their seat all the way back experience this problem, shorter and/or lighter people who have there seats closer to the steering wheel will not experience this problem.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by joeynym
I think most, if not all 2009 maximas have this same problem, but its the people who are taller and/or heavier then other members and have their seat all the way back experience this problem, shorter and/or lighter people who have there seats closer to the steering wheel will not experience this problem.
You may be right. I can't get any shorter (6'2") and I not planning on losing any more weight! At 220 lbs., I look normal. If I lose any more weight, people start asking me if I'm sick. 3 Years ago, I weighed over 335 pounds! Just a side note, I've been at 220 lbs. before I purchased the car.

I have driven 4 '09 Maxima's in the past 2 months and they all have a seat rocking problem. 2 New ones and 2 used ones (plus mine). Some rock more than others, but I would have to say that mine has a bit more travel than all the others I drove.

Scott
Old 08-05-2009, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by joeynym

Very interesting possibility. I kept the seat all the way back with my 6th gen, but have it set an inch forward from the rear stop on my '09. And my wife has her setting another inch forward than mine. And we neither weigh anywhere near 200. Henceforth, as folks mention this problem here, we should ask them where they keep the seat and how much they weigh.

Although this '09 Maxima was designed totally in Nissan's North America design facility, maybe the front seats were designed by a worker who was 5' 2" and weighed 110 pounds.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:35 AM

good info..thanks !!
Old 08-06-2009, 10:06 AM
TBA

After taking my car in for the two seat issues last Friday, I finally got it back yesterday (Wednesday).

They dealer installed the fix for the shaking passenger seat and replaced the frame for the driver's seat - twice. After installing the first frame, the dealership thought there was still too much play in the seat and ordered another frame via overnight shipping. This second frame is the same part number as the first, but seems so have eliminated the rocking. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I wasn't happy about being without my Maxima for 6 days, but Nissan did give me a no-charge rental for the whole time and the dealer was very apologetic. It's better than having to go back a number of times. Total charge to Nissan for the warranty work was almost $3,000.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:03 PM

TBA (To Be Announced?) - Thanks for the info. Your experience might tend to lend credence to my supposition in another thread that the method of installation may be a factor in this problem. The same part installed in different ways gave different results.

It also sounds as if your dealer actually cared about your situation, which is good.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:38 PM

I hope I can get my ride back sooner than a week. Here's hoping they can fix the problem once and once only.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just wanted to weigh in as another newbie with the rocking driver's seat issue. Have had the car for almost 3wks.

Disappointing, to say the least, especially combined with the strange CVT issue I experienced earlier today. Don't want to hijack the thread, so will search for CVT-issue related thread to ask if others have had anything similar happen to them.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:38 PM

speaking of seats, few weeks ago i notice the metal piece on the seat belt was backwards, dealer installed a new one. gotta find all issues before 35,000 warranty runs out
Old 08-10-2009, 07:18 PM
LT1
Newbie - Just Registered

Very interesting possibility. I kept the seat all the way back with my 6th gen, but have it set an inch forward from the rear stop on my '09. And my wife has her setting another inch forward than mine. And we neither weigh anywhere near 200. Henceforth, as folks mention this problem here, we should ask them where they keep the seat and how much they weigh.

Although this '09 Maxima was designed totally in Nissan's North America design facility, maybe the front seats were designed by a worker who was 5' 2" and weighed 110 pounds.
I am 6'3" and weigh about 200. I keep my seat all the way back too. You may be on to something.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:44 AM

Is this thread Dead

Looks like this thread is dead ? Any one actually get this problem resolved ? My dealer put in a new seat - worked great for 2 weeks and then rocking came back
Old 02-13-2010, 07:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

my dealer here in new jersey is totally oblivious to any problems with the rocking seat issue. i talked to another nissan dealer and they told me they have to send the car out to a fabric dealer to remove the seat without damaging it. i`m gonna keep driving it like this.

Quick Reply: Front driver seat fix from Nissan!!