7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Where is the AUX port?

Old 02-01-2010, 06:32 PM

Where is the AUX port?

I have looked in the manual and I am referred to page 4-68. It says it's located on ON the CD changer but I don't see it.

I have the SV with the premium package.

I just hung up with Apple because my 1st generation Ipod Nano will not play. Newer Ipods will but mine will not. The guy at the Apple store told me that I need to find the AUX port and connect a cord from my ipod to the AUX to get sound?

I'm confused...this has me considering getting a new Ipod but if I can get mine to work I would rather go that route...

Any help would be appreciated...

PS I have checked all of the compartments--(glove compartment & the console compartments) but I can't find it.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2010, 06:48 PM

The IPod connection is in the center console. There should be a dongle in there that connects directly to your IPod.

You will enjoy it.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the reply CT but I know where the ipod connector is..my Ipod is not recognized...I called the apple store and it's because it's older. He said I need to find the AUX port and connect a cord from ipod to the AUX so that I can get the sound...

????
Old 02-01-2010, 06:56 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

The only AUX port I am aware of is the three A/V inputs inside of the center console. This is on a 2010 Sport+Tech. There may be something different on yours depending on your year and options.

The AUX port is a bad option for the iPod anyway because you can't control the iPod using the stereo controls. I'd just go for the newer iPod.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hpnotiq
Thanks for the reply CT but I know where the ipod connector is..my Ipod is not recognized...I called the apple store and it's because it's older. He said I need to find the AUX port and connect a cord from ipod to the AUX so that I can get the sound...

????
Ah! I get it.

You want to port audio into the Bose system via the AUX input. I dunno where it is.

Spend the $$$ for a new IPOD so you can control it directly from the dash. It will also recharge the battery.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:42 PM

I dont think you need to buy a new ipod, they do sell an adapter, heres a link:

http://www.mp3carpros.com/product_in...roducts_id=210

Im not sure how well it works.

EDIT: scosche passport is the same thing as well!

Last edited by rtitan; 02-01-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

the aux input the apple store is talking about is just a 3.5mm audio cable jack. get a cable off ebay for $4 shipped. i ordered this one twice b/c its much cheaper than stores and is made by dynex and is top quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dynex-6-3-5-mm-1...item588561173a

just hook up to any device's headphone jack, select aux on your stock radio and enjoy. hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by rtitan
I dont think you need to buy a new ipod, they do sell an adapter, heres a link:

http://www.mp3carpros.com/product_in...roducts_id=210

Im not sure how well it works.

EDIT: scosche passport is the same thing as well!
This adapter is only for '09 Maximas and its purpose is only to enable charging the newer IPods. Apple and Nissan were not on the same page in regards to the charging protocol. Apple changed to a USB style from Firewire.

The adaptor is not a substitute for the AUX input.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by willandibis
the aux input the apple store is talking about is just a 3.5mm audio cable jack. get a cable off ebay for $4 shipped. i ordered this one twice b/c its much cheaper than stores and is made by dynex and is top quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dynex-6-3-5-mm-1...item588561173a

just hook up to any device's headphone jack, select aux on your stock radio and enjoy. hope this helps.
Thanks Will this is what I need BUT the question still remains...

I don't have see where to plug the 3.5mm plug into the car. I can connect the Ipod to the cord in the center colsole..then plus this cord into the ipod but where do I plug the OTHER end of the cord? I dont see any headphone hack in the car...
Old 02-02-2010, 07:30 AM
TBA

My understanding was that the AUX cable and iPod integration interface were mutually exclusive. If you have the iPod interface cable in the center console, the AUX cable on the dashboard was eliminated.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:46 AM

Its funny cause i have a 2nd generation 30 gig ipod that i use in my max, it plays and charges it. I mean this thing is so old the backlight on it is the blue color. I just bought an itouch i hook that up but it doesnt charge it. Strange.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by TBA
My understanding was that the AUX cable and iPod integration interface were mutually exclusive. If you have the iPod interface cable in the center console, the AUX cable on the dashboard was eliminated.

Yea, so it looks like you only have the ipod adapter.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:01 AM

Thanks Will this is what I need BUT the question still remains...

I don't have see where to plug the 3.5mm plug into the car. I can connect the Ipod to the cord in the center colsole..then plus this cord into the ipod but where do I plug the OTHER end of the cord? I dont see any headphone hack in the car...
I will clarify this for you. Your Maxima does not have 3.5mm aux connection.

It has two better options:

In your center console there are two hookup options.
First is the native iPod cable, that you can use on most newer iPods, though it will not charge the newest generation.
Second is the Composite Video/Stereo plugs, you have Yellow, Red and White RCA connectors that are next to iPod plug. This is your AUX input.
If you want to hookup your iPod, you need to buy a cable that splits iPod 3.5 mm connector into Stereo RCA connectors (Red and White).

Here is an example of the cable you need:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

good luck,
Max

p.s. by the way, the manual has all possible stereo combinations listed, you are just looking at a basic stereo, which does have basic 3.5mm stereo plug. Your stereo is described later in the manual.
Same thing goes for heating controls and display control.

Last edited by maxud; 02-02-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by TBA
I guess that's why I can't find it...lol

Not sure what to do....When I connect my ipod it does not recognize it... I'll try again today and tell you VERBATIM what it says
Old 02-02-2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by maxud

First is the native iPod cable, that you can use on most newer iPods, though it will not charge the newest generation.
Second is the Composite Video/Stereo plugs, you have Yellow, Red and White RCA connectors that are next to iPod plug. This is your AUX input.
If you want to hookup your iPod, you need to buy a cable that splits iPod 3.5 mm connector into Stereo RCA connectors (Red and White).

good luck,
Max

p.s. by the way, the manual has all possible stereo combinations listed, you are just looking at a basic stereo, which does have basic 3.5mm stereo plug. Your stereo is described later in the manual.
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I think this will HELP! I DO see the red, yellow & white connectors--similar to those on my TV...

and this cord looks like it could work to connect the Ipod to the car!

I will look for one of tese connectors at Radio Shack today and see if it works.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by TBA
You are correct, but thats not the whole picture. The dashboard aux is eliminated and substituted by RCA AUX in your center console. It gets you not just the audio, but video as well, so its an upgrade to the standard 3.5mm jack.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:33 AM

Hey Max....Is this the same thing?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3909621
Old 02-02-2010, 09:33 AM

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I think this will HELP! I DO see the red, yellow & white connectors--similar to those on my TV...

and this cord looks like it could work to connect the Ipod to the car!

I will look for one of tese connectors at Radio Shack today and see if it works.
Trust me, it will work. Those connectors are exactly like the back of your TV, because it lets you connect any video/audio source with composite video signal and watch it on your main display. (albeit, your car has to be parked with emergency brake on for it to show video).
Make sure you don't pay too much money for a "Monster" cable at radio shack.
Max

Last edited by maxud; 02-02-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:35 AM

yep, it is the same.
Max
Old 02-02-2010, 09:37 AM

Trust me, it will work. Those connectors are exactly like the back of your TV, because it lets you connect any video/audio source with composite video signal and watch it on your main display. (albeit, your car has to be parked with emergency break on for it to show video).
Make sure you don't pay too much money for a "Monster" cable at radio shack.
Max

I just posted a link and plan to see if this works! Yeah whatever it is will be chaper than buying a new ipod
Old 02-02-2010, 09:43 AM

I just posted a link and plan to see if this works! Yeah whatever it is will be chaper than buying a new ipod
Forgot to mention, unless you already know it:
yellow rca jack = video signal
red rca jack = right channel stereo signal
white rca jack = left channel stereo signal

so you will be plugging your Y-cable in white/red inputs.

update 2:
Also, when plugging anything into AUX inputs, you have to control all options on the device itself. There is no car control integration, other than volume. A lot of AUX inputs have low amplification, so you may have to raise iPod volume (directly on iPod) more so than if you were just listening to the headphones. This could result in drastic volume differences between car's standard audio sources (radio/cd/etc..) vs AUX input, so beware to turn the volume down.

Max

Last edited by maxud; 02-02-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:50 AM

Thanks! I can't wait to try this tongiht!
Old 02-02-2010, 02:53 PM

Forgot to mention, unless you already know it:
yellow rca jack = video signal
red rca jack = right channel stereo signal
white rca jack = left channel stereo signal
Does anyone know why this car has a video jack?
Old 02-02-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by 67whitegoat
Does anyone know why this car has a video jack?
So you can play videos from just about any source while the car is in park with the parking brake on.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:33 PM

Max..I got it and it DOES work! I can control the volume but nothing else...Luckily I already had an Ipod car charger so I can charge while I ride... Paying $8.11 for the cord was better than buying a new Ipod. Thanks for the help!

PS the fact that I have playlists set up on my ipod make me have to do less changes..I can switch to my playlist and let it roll...but if they were all together that would be quite annoying...
Old 02-02-2010, 05:42 PM

Max..I got it and it DOES work! I can control the volume but nothing else...Luckily I already had an Ipod car charger so I can charge while I ride... Paying $8.11 for the cord was better than buying a new Ipod. Thanks for the help!

PS the fact that I have playlists set up on my ipod make me have to do less changes..I can switch to my playlist and let it roll...but if they were all together that would be quite annoying...
I had no doubt that it will work. Now for the cool part. I know you don't want to buy a new iPod, but when you do, this car has the BEST iPod integration ever, bar none! With new iPods you can control EVERYTHING from your stereo and/or steering wheel. It will display text of the songs, all your playlists, albums, etc... But to have it, you will have to plug iPod via the iPod dock connector.
Enjoy,
Max
Old 02-02-2010, 06:34 PM

Thanks again Max..I thought I was SOL! But it works....
Old 02-02-2010, 07:10 PM

I have a SV sport and mine is located on the radio/cd control panel as you mentioned, but with the tech. package I don't think you have that option... I may be wrong.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by michaelle8885
I have a SV sport and mine is located on the radio/cd control panel as you mentioned, but with the tech. package I don't think you have that option... I may be wrong.
You are correct.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:45 PM

I had no doubt that it will work. Now for the cool part. I know you don't want to buy a new iPod, but when you do, this car has the BEST iPod integration ever, bar none! With new iPods you can control EVERYTHING from your stereo and/or steering wheel. It will display text of the songs, all your playlists, albums, etc... But to have it, you will have to plug iPod via the iPod dock connector.
Enjoy,
Max
Well put. The integration is leaps and bounds better than what was available on my 2005 (after I added the integration kit of course).
Old 02-10-2010, 04:34 AM

The integration works well on my '10- premium tech. I can control all functions of the ipod from the steering wheel. The only annoyance is having to unplug the cable every time I turn the car off (otherwise the ipod continues to run, thus running the risk of wearing down the car battery). I have turned the ipod off, then turned the car off, and the minute I open the car door, the ipod turns on again!
Old 05-03-2018, 10:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What a great reply

good luck,
Max

Man I don't know why everyone think they have to answer the question. The man clearly asked one question everyone comented but none of them were specific to his question. Waste of time if you don't know it don't answer it. I am sorry I had to read all their reply to get to yours which was right on and was exactly the answer to my question that this guy asked.
Thank you very much
Old 05-04-2018, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Knikav
Man I don't know why everyone think they have to answer the question. The man clearly asked one question everyone comented but none of them were specific to his question. Waste of time if you don't know it don't answer it. I am sorry I had to read all their reply to get to yours which was right on and was exactly the answer to my question that this guy asked.
Thank you very much
wow, this brings back memories, from 8 years ago.
You are welcome, and welcome to the forum