7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Accumulating between transmission and engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 03:51 AM

Oil Accumulating between transmission and engine

I am curious if anyone else has noticed this on thier 7th gen.

I change my own oil and look around while I'm under the car. At 700 miles I didn't notice anything (maybe I just missed it). At 1750 I noticed a small amount of oil at the very bottom where the engine and transmission meet. I wiped up the little oil that was there and made a note to look for it again in the future. I am at 2526 miles now and this time I was not changing the oil yet but just decided to take a look to see it any oil had returned. I wasn't under the car just crouched down to take a quick glance and sure enough I can see a shiny area right in the seal. It not like it is leaking enough to notice a spot on the drive way but just enough to accumulate and upset me.

Has anyone who changes their own oil noticed this? I am sure this can't be normal right? Any suggestions? The area again is where the tranny and engine bolt together and at the very bottom, lowest part to the ground.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:49 PM

So I went to the Nissan service center and they put my car up on the rack I showed them the area of concern. He saw the oil residue too and told me it was normal. Does anyone have anything to say about this???
Old 03-17-2010, 05:04 PM

flip- went to check mine out-'10- and didn't see anything there. had some major rains here last week and drove through a lot of standing water, but don't think enough to get there and 'wash' it out. so, don't think that it's normal
Old 03-17-2010, 05:51 PM

No fluid leakage other than the air condtioner drop off is normal......
Old 03-17-2010, 09:16 PM

Monte 01&97 SE is right. Unless someone spilled a little oil while working underneath the hood, there should be no oil underneath the engine. I would think a seal somewhere has a very small leak. Sounds like dealer time to me.

The power train is under a FIVE year warranty, and this should be warranty work. Once a leak starts, it usually eventually gets worse. If you know you never spilled anything while changing your oil, I would bite the bullet and have the dealer fix this as soon as convenient.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Flip2cho
So I went to the Nissan service center and they put my car up on the rack I showed them the area of concern. He saw the oil residue too and told me it was normal. Does anyone have anything to say about this???
What idiotic Service Manager said that? Please advise so I don't take my car there. My 09 has had 12 oil changes so far and NO leakage. I just took my brides 7 yr old vehicle in for this reason..no it is not normal.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:45 AM

My thoughts exactly. I was very dishearted when the service manager told me that it was "normal". He even told me that over time it will turn blackish over that area and that was "okay". I know that any oil isn't normal, Im not stupid but this service manager must think I am. After this discussuion with this idiot I went straight into the dealership and bought the extended 7 year 100,000 mile gold perfered package.

I posted this thread to see what everyone here thought of this line of BS this guy is feeding me. I don't know what his motive is though... Does he just not want to have to go through fixing this problem since it's just a small leak? Does he think that I'm Lieing and physically put oil in that location? Or Is he just really that stupid? I can't figure that out... Any opinions??

LtLeary, I'm going to bring this up again today when I go to the service center and if I get the same answer I will post what place this is that way people in central Florida can decide themself if they would want to bring their car to a service center like this.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:52 AM

LtLeary, I'm going to bring this up again today when I go to the service center and if I get the same answer I will post what place this is that way people in central Florida can decide themself if they would want to bring their car to a service center like this.
Thanks,
By the way, I'm impressed with Melbourne Nissan. The Guys at Universal Nissan weren't up to "spec" in my book and tended to throw around the "all of em do that" phrase too much for my taste. Sure, It is a bit of a drive, but the guys are honorable and competent. Haven't tried the others in Orlando but did stop by Lakeland and found them helpful (first time my TPMS went off and admittedly, I hadn't read the manual as I should have!)
Old 03-18-2010, 12:00 PM

I posted this thread to see what everyone here thought of this line of BS this guy is feeding me. I don't know what his motive is though... Does he just not want to have to go through fixing this problem since it's just a small leak? Does he think that I'm Lieing and physically put oil in that location? Or Is he just really that stupid? I can't figure that out... Any opinions??
I would guess many dealers are not excited about having to do warranty work. There was a time in the past when dealers leaped at warranty work, because Nissan reimbursed them at the 'going rate'. But many dealers abused this system, replacing things that did not need replacing just to earn the cash from Nissan. To avoid this ripoff, Nissan changed to a system where the dealer somewhat breaks even on warranty work, so many dealers now just try to avoid such work.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:52 PM

Flip, my fuse must be shorter than yours is. I'm always polite on a trip to the dealer(and I'm on #5 now) but I don't think I could contain myself if my service manager tried to slip one like that by me.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I would guess many dealers are not excited about having to do warranty work. There was a time in the past when dealers leaped at warranty work, because Nissan reimbursed them at the 'going rate'. But many dealers abused this system, replacing things that did not need replacing just to earn the cash from Nissan. To avoid this ripoff, Nissan changed to a system where the dealer somewhat breaks even on warranty work, so many dealers now just try to avoid such work.
Very true, sad but true!
Old 03-18-2010, 02:11 PM

Sorry to hear that those idiots tried to take you for a ride using your own car, it's good you're not the fall for anything type.

I haven't had any leakage, just the normal condensation from use of the AC.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:57 PM

Thanks for all the support guys. That is the reason why I fell in love with this forum to begin with. With all of your feedback, when I went and complained to the service manager over the one I that told me this was normal, I was a lot more confident knowing I wasn't by myself.
This is the second time (on two different issues) I have had talk with this higher manager. As in the past he is a lot more helpful than the person below him. He agreed with me with no question and asked if I would let them put my car back on the rack so he and his boss could take a look at it. I ofcourse agreed. Like I mentioned earlier, we are not talking about a huge oil leak. It is just enough for you to be worried about. The car has only 2640 miles on it, and I noticed the oil the last time I changed my oil @ 1750 miles. At that time I wiped it down really good so I could see if it returned. If you do the math that was less than 1000 miles ago. The oil is there again but is only visible in the seam line of where the tranny and engine meet up. It hasn't leaked enough yet to put a drip on the bottom. The higher of the managers didn't down play what was goin on, he simple asked me to watch it a little longer and bring it back as soon as I notice it has acumulated a little more. I was a lot better with this because he wasn't telling me everything was cool and I didn't have a problem. He said he just wanted to make sure it wasn't any of the lubricant they used putting it together melting off and so he could see personally it worsen. He Also appologized for the other manager telling me that it was normal.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:53 PM

Cool Bro,
Sometimes you gotta go right to the top to get problems worked out, please let us know about this oil accumulation/drip situation.
Thanks
Old 03-21-2010, 07:54 AM

Thought I would Show some pictures of what I am talking about. Its not a huge oil leak but is any oil leak good??? My opinion is no.

Now here is a pic where you can see the difference from the left to right side

These are just to show you what had been describing and what I had shown the Service department. A picture is worth a thousand words and I dont know if i described my problem well enough before so here are the pictures so you can see for you self. Does this change anyones opinion on this being a "Normal" thing?
Old 03-21-2010, 08:14 AM

Def not normal. I was just under my car to put in the y-pipe and my engine and tranny were clean as a whistle. Def demand they look at it closely!
Old 03-21-2010, 04:27 PM

Stupid question, but are you sure it is oil and not some other fluid?
Old 03-21-2010, 04:55 PM

I change my own oil and would not have noticed that joint as it is on the other side of the engine bay.

But it looks like a fresh and active leak from the pictures. I would keep wiping it dry to see if it re-forms. This would be prima facie evidence that it's not normal.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
Stupid question, but are you sure it is oil and not some other fluid?
It's not a stupid question. I am as sure as I can be without taking lab samples of it. On other parts of the engine I can see a golden thicker paste like substance in spots that I figure is the lubrication they use for pitting everything togther.

What other liquid could it be? I don't think it's transmission fluid because it's not red at all. To the touch it has the viscosity of oil. I'm not saying I can tell that it's 10W-30 by touch but you get my point. It has the color of oil that sits at the bottom. I cleaned it up the first time I noticed it 1000 miles ago and it has returned. My best guess is oil
Old 03-21-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
Thanks,
By the way, I'm impressed with Melbourne Nissan. The Guys at Universal Nissan weren't up to "spec" in my book and tended to throw around the "all of em do that" phrase too much for my taste. Sure, It is a bit of a drive, but the guys are honorable and competent. Haven't tried the others in Orlando but did stop by Lakeland and found them helpful (first time my TPMS went off and admittedly, I hadn't read the manual as I should have!)
By "Melbourne Nissan", do you mean Nissan of Melbourne by US-1 in Melbourne, FL? I was less than impressed with them. They scratched all four wheels of my 07 Maxima while doing an alignment. When I complained to the service manager, he replied -- "You have 10k miles on the odo. You had those scratches before." I had to file a complaint against them to BBB after which they fixed them. The only thing I like about them is that they offer (only if you ask for) a free carwash and front interior vacuum with an oil change and their wash is not extraordinary but better than sprinkling water on the car.

Universal Nissan is possibly the worst of all. I normally go to Reed Nissan in Orlando for my oil changes. Mike Erdman Nissan in Merritt Island is not bad.

BTW, I thought Nissan's warranty on the CVT was for 10 years/ 120k miles. Am I wrong?

Last edited by bb700092; 03-21-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by CT Maxima
I change my own oil and would not have noticed that joint as it is on the other side of the engine bay.

But it looks like a fresh and active leak from the pictures. I would keep wiping it dry to see if it re-forms. This would be prima facie evidence that it's not normal.
The first time I noticed it, it was only near the very bottom where the metal has the arch shape. It had made it's way down to cover the two bottom flat pieces of the arch and start to form a drip because it was at the lowest point. The first thing I did after visual and by touch inspecting the fluid was wipe to down so I could watch the area. I really hoped it wouldn't return but I think you know what happened the next time I checked the spot I cleaned. It actuall seemed to cover more area though, higher up the seal. Like I said, the first time I only noticed it around the bottom arch and now it is showing up 3 to 4 inches higher than the initial point

Last edited by Flip2cho; 03-21-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by bb700092
By "Melbourne Nissan", do you mean Nissan of Melbourne by US-1 in Melbourne, FL? I was less than impressed with them. They scratched all four wheels of my 07 Maxima while doing an alignment. When I complained to the service manager, he replied -- "You have 10k miles on the odo. You had those scratches before." I had to file a complaint against them to BBB after which they fixed them. The only thing I like about them is that they offer (only if you ask for) a free carwash and front interior vacuum with an oil change and their wash is not extraordinary but better than sprinkling water on the car.

Universal Nissan is possibly the worst of all. I normally go to Reed Nissan in Orlando for my oil changes. Mike Erdman Nissan in Merritt Island is not bad.

BTW, I thought Nissan's warranty on the CVT was for 10 years/ 120k miles. Am I wrong?
Well then Thanks for helping get rid of the dead weight out at Melbourne Nissan. I appreciate it as your complaints must have sunk in because I really appreciated them going the extra mile on my seat (and come to think of it, you are right about the Car Wash!) Reed is closest to my house (I've gone to their parts dept for filters and the like but not for service) but thanks for the thumbs up there. Never been to Merritt Island but will keep it in mind. Universal...nough said.

I'm pretty sure the CVT warranty is 10 years/100K miles now (I recall getting a rider in the mail a few months back and am pretty sure it was 100k)
Old 03-22-2010, 03:08 AM

What other liquid could it be? I don't think it's transmission fluid because it's not red at all. To the touch it has the viscosity of oil. I'm not saying I can tell that it's 10W-30 by touch but you get my point. It has the color of oil that sits at the bottom. I cleaned it up the first time I noticed it 1000 miles ago and it has returned. My best guess is oil
I just haven't looked at the CVT or PS fluids in our 7th gens to see what they "look like." With those being proprietary fluids, I don't know if they maintain the standard "color coding" of old!
Old 03-22-2010, 03:47 AM

After the service center had seen it they wanted me to let it continue to leak and watch it untill it forms a drip. With such a slow but obvious leak is it possible that the heat from the engine could burn the fluid off at such a rate it doesn't ever form a drip but is still steadily leaking? Wouldn't you think after wiping it away and it returning would be enough to take action no matter what fluid it could possibly be since there should be no fluid present ever and the car has less than 3000 miles?

Last edited by Flip2cho; 03-23-2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:35 PM

After the service center had seen it they wanted me to let it continue to leak and watch it untill it forms a drip. With such a slow but obvious leak is it possible that the heat from the engine could burn the fluid off at such a rate it doesn't ever form a drip but is still steadily leaking? Wouldn't you think after wiping it away and it returning would be enough to take action no matter what fluid it could possibly be since there should be no fluid present ever and the car has less than 300 miles?
You would THINK so ... perhaps your service center isn't proactive enough, or worried about customer satisfaction? Try calling Nissan Customer Relations (or whatever it's called) and see if they offer any help.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:48 PM

After the service center had seen it they wanted me to let it continue to leak and watch it untill it forms a drip. With such a slow but obvious leak is it possible that the heat from the engine could burn the fluid off at such a rate it doesn't ever form a drip but is still steadily leaking? Wouldn't you think after wiping it away and it returning would be enough to take action no matter what fluid it could possibly be since there should be no fluid present ever and the car has less than 300 miles?

They may be hoping you spilled oil in the upper regions of the engine while putting fresh oil in, and that it will take a few weeks for it to all drain to the very bottom. I can't think of any other possible explanation for delay. But you and I know their hopes will be dashed, and they will have to bite the bullet at some point. After about one more week, I would be ready to tell them (very politely, but very firmly) the leak has not slowed down, and it is time for this leak to be fixed under warranty.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
They may be hoping you spilled oil in the upper regions of the engine while putting fresh oil in, and that it will take a few weeks for it to all drain to the very bottom. I can't think of any other possible explanation for delay. But you and I know their hopes will be dashed, and they will have to bite the bullet at some point. After about one more week, I would be ready to tell them (very politely, but very firmly) the leak has not slowed down, and it is time for this leak to be fixed under warranty.
What do you think this is going to entail? Not knowing much about the assembly of our engine and tranny I would imagine the whole thing would have to be pulled out. Just the thought of owning a brandnew car that is going to have then engine pulled already really bites. I hate hate hate this. Not a good feeling. I can go on and on about how I feel on owning a new car that will have already had the engine pulled no matter how big or small the reason was. This also the first Nissan I've ever owned and the first new car purchase I've ever made. Can't say my hearts not broken on both instances.

Last edited by Flip2cho; 03-23-2010 at 04:04 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:03 AM

What do you think this is going to entail? Not knowing much about the assembly of our engine and tranny I would imagine the whole thing would have to be pulled out. Just the thought of owning a brandnew car that is going to have then engine pulled already really bites. I hate hate hate this. Not a good feeling. I can go on and on about how I feel on owning a new car that will have already had the engine pulled no matter how big or small the reason was. This also the first Nissan I've ever owned and the first new car purchase I've ever made. Can't say my hearts not broken on both instances.
You lucky stiff. My first new car was a Ford Pinto. You at least have a Maxima Sport!

J/K. It really sucks when your brand new baby needs major surgery before its first oil change. I had a similar issue with a 1991 Maxima years ago and it needed the same fix. It came back OK but the gasket looked like a hand-made RTV type. The seal held for many years after that with no problems. The car was 2 years old when it was fixed so I did not have the emotional turmoil that you have.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:53 AM

I feel your pain ... I had a 2000 Focus (first new car I had ever bought, and first car I'd ever bought), and 2 days into ownership, a COP hit it and did $1,000 worth of damage to the front end

-John
Old 03-23-2010, 11:46 AM

I'm sure this is a seal (gasket) problem, and it could be the seal between the engine and the tranny, or, since the fluid does not appear to be reddish (tranny fluid), maybe the oil is running down from the seal between the engine and the crankcase (oil pan at the bottom of the engine) or between the engine and the valve covers (top of the engine). Replacing those type seals should not be a huge deal. I have replaced those type seals in Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, Chevys. etc, in my younger days. Such a repair does require a good torque wrench (oil pans and valve covers are very suceptable to bending or deforming). I stopped working on engines a long time ago (like forty or fifty years ago), but there will be someone here who has worked on them recently and can help us out here.

If no one here can help, the general Maxima board, or any of the boards from early generation Maximas will have folks who have had oil leaks fixed.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:43 PM

as already stated, ANY fluid leakage, other than air conditioner condensate is NOT normal.

You likely have a blown rear main seal on the crankshaft.

The first guy probably told you it was normal because fixing this warranty issue will require separating the tranny and engine. That's a lot of work that they'll get hosed on by Nissan!
Old 03-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ironic

I just changed my oil w/ 17xx miles and noticed an oily redue in the same place. I was not too alarmed becuase my 1997 max had the same residue for the 10 years she served me.

I'll keep an eye on it, but don't get to upset yet; there may be a reasonble explantion where the oil will cease to be a problem.

I've probably put too much stock in the prior experience, but it continued to have a small residue, yet never turned into a leak.

All that said, I gree that a leak, if that's what it is, is not normal.

Good luck to us.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:37 AM

While I was at the dealership to get my radio changed out I had them put my car back up on the rack to look at the oil. They said that Nissan would not approve of them doing any work on it unless it has a drip that they can see.
With Florida rain what is the chances I get the car to the dealership as a drip is still holing on the the engine about to fall? As much as it bothers me, it is under warranty for 7 years 100,000 miles so I guess I can just wait and watch for it to get worse. There isn't a rush I guess because I'm not losing enough oil to affect the level in the crankcase and I'm not nearing the end of warranty any time soon.

Any opinions? They are always welcome...
Old 03-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm having an issue with oil leaking as well... Took it to dealer 4 times now. 1st time they said it was from changing oil, 2nd time they said it was oil filter adapter o ring so they replaced it, 3rd time they put dye in oil had it 2 days called and said they didnt find dye anywhere but they could "feel" a bolt that may be wet so they took the bolt out put sealant on it and reinstalled... Then said we are not sure this is problem but keep an eye for more oil. I questioned what the bolt even was or how they got to it not being able to see it and they said the bolt was prob from manufacturing and could have been a test hole used in production???????? Actually has not leaked to the ground since about a week after the work was done but not convinced the problem is fixed or something worse won't happen because of it.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2012 maxima sv-sport
purchased new - current miles 42k

Just warmed up car this morning for about 5 minutes (was running late getting all my stuff together) when i pulled out i needed to run back in when i noticed clean oil on floor, i wiped off plastic cover and clip area covering oil filter, checked oil level and it hasn't came back. the oil filter was clean and tight, level perfect, I'm not sure where it came from i don't remember spilling when doing change. Only thing i can think of is over filling by 1/2 qt. but even then where would it come out from? didn't find a leak spot so...
if i find or it comes back will keep updated

Last edited by mayala86; 09-01-2014 at 11:56 AM.