7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

DIY Tire Rotation...will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:03 AM

DIY Tire Rotation...will this work?

I'm extremely particular about my Max (09') and taking it to the dealership or quick lube kind of place is something I try to avoid when I can. I'd like to rotate my tires this weekend, but don't really have the equipment to do it. I'm wondering if I'd be able to use the spare tire jack that came with the Max to jack up one corner, and then the scissor jack that came with my wife's Honda Pilot SUV to jack up the corner on the same side, which would effectively jack up one side of the car, allowing me to rotate one side front to back, then do the other side the same way. I would of course, use caution when choosing my jack points under the car and maybe even use some pieces of wood under there to spread the load if it makes sense to do so. I feel like a redneck as I'm typing this for contemplating doing it with such poor tools for the job. Can somebody tell me if this sounds like it might work or not a good idea?

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:10 AM

yea, that will work. As you know, it would be better if you had jack stands (for safety). for ease of jacking, toss in a hydraulic jack as well. (I do love mine)
Old 08-13-2010, 09:30 AM

Yes, I think you want to get some 'safer' tools. And it is really nice to be able to do your tire rotattion, but what about balancing the tires too? That is as important as rotating the tires.

That is why I went to Discount Tires and bought a lifetime balance and rotation for my tires for I think $40 or $60. And I do use it, trust me.

And I went to Firestone and bought me a lifetime alignment deal for $129.99.

As long as I own my Maxima, I never have to ever pay for alignment. And as long as I have the current Goodyear RSA, I never have to pay for balance and rotation.

I do all 3 on same day, every 3 months. Its free. Why not? Its already paid for itself. So now I consider that I get all these for free. Good deal!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:44 AM

Petit,

I can see where you're coming from with the lifetime service packages and they do sound like a great value if you use them systematically like it sounds like you do. Like I said, I know many of my worries about taking my car into places are probably not warranted. All I can tell you is this. The last time I took it in for a rotation, I caught the guy back there (who looks like he's never cared about anything in his life) getting ready to lift the car up after paying virtually no attention to where the "arms" on the lift were getting ready to pick the car up. Just kind of swung them under there without a worry or care. There are good places and not good places under there to be lifting from and I feel like I could easily end up with a bend frame or pushed in areas under there that shouldn't be. Maybe I'm irrational and a worry wart, but I can't help it At least if I do it in my driveway, I know exactly what and how it was done.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Do it right and get some jack stands and a hydraulic jack. Auto Zone has a jack and 2 ton (each) jack stand kit for $50. They are cheap quality, but they will work. Spend a little more, and you can get a lot better. If you are this picky about your car (as am I), you will find excuses to lift your car up to do some extra cleaning. I've been known to take off the wheels just to clean out the break dust that builds up on the inner part.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by TMartinLVNV
Do it right and get some jack stands and a hydraulic jack. Auto Zone has a jack and 2 ton (each) jack stand kit for $50. They are cheap quality, but they will work. Spend a little more, and you can get a lot better. If you are this picky about your car (as am I), you will find excuses to lift your car up to do some extra cleaning. I've been known to take off the wheels just to clean out the break dust that builds up on the inner part.
yeppers. I bought a set (jack and 2 stands at Sears during a father's day sale. well worth the cost
Old 08-13-2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by k757
yeppers. I bought a set (jack and 2 stands at Sears during a father's day sale. well worth the cost
I did the same thing during a sale at Sears (not on fathers day though). I rotate them in my garage.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:39 AM

rawbutt, I understand you. But why I mentioned all 3 services of balance tires, rotate tires and do alignment is because all 3 go together.

It is really good for you to rotate your tires yourself as you wish to be doing. But what about balancing them? What about your alignment?

What I mean is if you wish to rotate your tires, I will recommend doing all 3. For my next question would be; in a year, how many times do you wish to rotate your tires? Balance your tires? Do your alignment? I believe all of these must be done atleast twice a year. I do it 4 times a year. It is free now for me.

So, if you have to do all 3, look into these lifetime deals I got. And when you take your car there, maybe go out and insist on them being careful with your car and maybe watch them as they do it. I do that sometimes. They hate it, but hey I want to make sure they are not 'hurting' my car.

And to further explain myself, checkout this link. It might help you decide on what you would want to do and how often. Let me know what you think.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireBalancing.dos
Old 08-13-2010, 12:06 PM

It's definitely worth it to invest 50-70 bucks in a decent jack and jack stand set. It'll make tire rotations and oil changes very easy. It'll pay for itself over time with the savings of doing it yourself instead of taking it to the dealer.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:07 PM

If you don't want to get a decent jack and stands, or even with a decent hydrolic jack but not using stands, you could rotate the tires using the spare to hold a side as you're moving wheels around...that way you're not lifting one whole side of the car up at a time, just each corner. Might take a few minutes longer, but instead of 30 minutes, maybe 50 to rotate all 4 using the spare as a holder...
Old 08-13-2010, 04:37 PM

If you plan on doing work yourself invest in yourself. I had manager that made 4 times my salary and he had his sons car fall on his arm almost amputating it. His neighbors who were nosey and thankfully so heard his screams. My point is he was using a scissor jack for one to many repairs.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:28 PM

Go to Pep Boys - spend 10 bux tire rotate - save your back.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:10 PM

Don't half *** it, I have seen more damage done to cars all cause someone was trying to save a few bucks.

I would say start building your tool supply now.

As far as damage done in shops by mechanic/techs who don't care about your car, I always try and go to a nicer dealer/shop and always try and bring the car in just washed, I noticed their is some sort of connection to treating the car better when it's just washed then if it was a layer of dirt on it

Lastly, it's a never ending process of trying to keep a car like new, look in the 6th Gen section of how many guys who have relatively new cars are getting new front and or rear ends, rims resurfaced all I can say is welcome to the club and parking is never upfront, learn to walk
Old 01-13-2017, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by rawbutt
Petit,

I can see where you're coming from with the lifetime service packages and they do sound like a great value if you use them systematically like it sounds like you do. Like I said, I know many of my worries about taking my car into places are probably not warranted. All I can tell you is this. The last time I took it in for a rotation, I caught the guy back there (who looks like he's never cared about anything in his life) getting ready to lift the car up after paying virtually no attention to where the "arms" on the lift were getting ready to pick the car up. Just kind of swung them under there without a worry or care. There are good places and not good places under there to be lifting from and I feel like I could easily end up with a bend frame or pushed in areas under there that shouldn't be. Maybe I'm irrational and a worry wart, but I can't help it At least if I do it in my driveway, I know exactly what and how it was done.
brother, I couldnt have said it any better. I am in your camp when it comes to DIY if at all possible.
I took my vehicle to discount for a simple tire repair. The guy asked me if I wanted a tire rotation for free as well so I went for it as discount has always been great to me...I just happened to be watching them and they totally screwed up the rotation. I let them do it at first, took note of which tire went where, and then when they were returning the vehicle I asked the guy about the rotation..."oh yea, we got it done". Long story short they had no idea what they were doing or just didn't care...never again.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:52 PM

The days of rotating tires in my driveway ended over 25 years ago. I buy all my tires from Costco as it offers lifetime replacement, balancing and rotation of the tires. All the tire techs use hand torque wrenches for the lugs and the whole process takes less than a hour. Not only that, you just can't beat that price for a Costco dog.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:26 PM

Make Harbor Freight a companion store. Invest in some small basic tools then work your way up until you get to the larger projects.

Rotated tires today on maxima, Accord, and Avalon in 1 1/2 hours. Electric impact gun saved my wrist.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:33 AM

I'm 56 years old and I'm still doing my own tire rotations and winter tire change overs on all my cars. As other people mentioned, get a floor jack and some jack stands from Pep Boys and with the right tools it's not that bad. Actually the hardest part I think is bringing the tires up from the cellar. If my wife would let me, I would get a tire rack and keep all the tires in the garage but with 16 tires she has a point. My cellar looks like the Tire Rack
Old 01-16-2017, 08:44 AM

Wow JSpagna!!!! That sounds like a warehouse.

Also invest in a $10 torque wrench. If you overtighten the lugs, then you stand a chance to warp the rotors
Old 01-17-2017, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Les7311
Also invest in a $10 torque wrench. If you overtighten the lugs, then you stand a chance to warp the rotors

Oh ya forgot about that. Actually got a great Gorilla torque wrench from Tire Rack. for like $58.00. Good quality and go for $80.00+ on E-bay.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:09 PM
Maxima Owner

go way baller and order one of these.........

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dannmar-C...6000/204163591

in all seriousness Harbor Freight can be your friend. Decent tools to do simple things....Cordless Impacts are fantastic investments for tire swaps especially if you do multiple a year if you dont have air......i personally use a Snap On torque stick and double check my lugs with torque wrench...i hate taking my cars to places that dont know their *** from a whole in the ground. I had a shop do an alignment 3 times on my wifes car before they got it right. Lifetime alignments as well....luckily i can get them close enough by measuring so they are never too far off after doing work

some things are worth investing in some tools do stuff yourself
Old 01-23-2017, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by jspagna
I'm 56 years old and I'm still doing my own tire rotations and winter tire change overs on all my cars. As other people mentioned, get a floor jack and some jack stands from Pep Boys and with the right tools it's not that bad. Actually the hardest part I think is bringing the tires up from the cellar. If my wife would let me, I would get a tire rack and keep all the tires in the garage but with 16 tires she has a point. My cellar looks like the Tire Rack
Don't ever stop my friend..At 70 yrs old next month, I still do all my tire rotations, change oil in all our vehicles (maxima, jeep, 4runner, 53 Ford, 02 ST1100), pulln the tranny out of the 53 this weekend as well. Like was mentioned above, invest in some quality tools, floor jack n jack stands and use your common sense.

cheers,
willie