7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

All Plasti-DIP threads.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by sg1214
My next project after I get my tints in about two weeks is gonna be ther circled area in the picture on the rear bumper, any thoughts??
Be aware that there's a high possibility that it's gonna get chipped easily due to pebbles and what nots when your driving.

IMO it's not a good idea but if you were going to do it anyways. I hope you get keep a can of that stuff in the trunk for touch-up. Your gonna need it. Why not plasti-dip all the chrome on your ride?

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 04-13-2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:38 PM

No pictures of a White Maxima yet...

Old 04-13-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate
Be aware that there's a high possibility that it's gonna get chipped easily due to pebbles and what nots when your driving.

IMO it's not a good idea but if you were going to do it anyways. I hope you get keep a can of that stuff in the trunk for touch-up. Your gonna need it. Why not plasti-dip all the chrome on your ride?
Im on the rocks right now with this, might jus do black vinyl in that area. As for the chrome, Id rather have it body colored than black, it jus dont look right for some reason in my eyes.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:24 AM

Vinyl would definitely be a better option than the plasti-dip for that area of the car. I only suggested you did the chrome since we were on the subject of plasti-dip. Also, if you didn't like it for any reason than you could just rip it off and be done with it.

Anyways, if you painted it body color than it would look WAY better and it'll give it a more classy look. Plus, people are definitely gonna know that you didn't go cheap with your mods. So, I definitely agree with you on that one.

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 04-14-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:21 AM

Is everyone just apply it over the chrome without removing it?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:19 PM

Vinyl would definitely be a better option than the plasti-dip for that area of the car. I only suggested you did the chrome since we were on the subject of plasti-dip. Also, if you didn't like it for any reason than you could just rip it off and be done with it.

Anyways, if you painted it body color than it would look WAY better and it'll give it a more classy look. Plus, people are definitely gonna know that you didn't go cheap with your mods. So, I definitely agree with you on that one.
I cant paint it, my cars leased lol. It would look sick tho.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:50 PM

Oh ok, guess I misunderstood you. Vinyl might take some more work (unless you pay a pro or something) but it'll look good too.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:01 PM

Oh ok, guess I misunderstood you. Vinyl might take some more work (unless you pay a pro or something) but it'll look good too.
I was thinking about that! The door handles, and the chrome piece on the rear. Im gonna hit a few shops around here and see what they can do for me!!
Old 04-16-2011, 07:48 AM

Ive had this on my g35 - did the grille, rear emblems, and the chrome piece on the trunk of a g35 and it held up through the rough winter we had here in nyc. Theres no damages to it. ive had it on for abt 6 months now and ive gotten car washes and everything - no issues.

Great product and the best part is you can just peel it right off and its gone!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:09 PM

wooh just got done with the grilllle

i decided i hated the chrome around my black maxima grille soo went to home depot picked up a trusty bottle of plasti dip and went to work really wish the massive fog cloud we got over new york today didnt come but had to make dew with it soo took alot longer inbetween dryings i shined a flash light on it looked reallllly amazing! cant wait to wake up and look at it il take some pics and post them on this thread tomorrow!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:49 AM

Love it!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by BlackMax11
Love it!
looks good. bout to do mine today
Old 04-30-2011, 12:06 PM

is there a "gloss blacK" version of this? or do I have to use one layer of the standard black plasti dip and then do another layer of clear plasti dip?

I want to do my door handles but want it to be "gloss black" to match the body paint.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:18 PM

Thanks to this thread the first mod done to my Max is the grill. I've had the car less than 24 hours. Is that bad?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by PrISM
Thanks to this thread the first mod done to my Max is the grill. I've had the car less than 24 hours. Is that bad?
Not at all. Congrats on the new ride, I saw how much you got it for in another thread - great deal!!

Just make sure you space out your mods so you don't get bored later...like I am now...
Old 04-30-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by PrISM
Is that a bad thing? NO WAY!!! It is awesome! It just means the mod-bug has bitten you. So, keep up at it. Congrats on your new ride.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima
Is that a bad thing? NO WAY!!! It is awesome! It just means the mod-bug has bitten you. So, keep up at it. Congrats on your new ride.
The bug bit me a long time ago. Originally I thought I wasn't going to do all that much to this car, seeing as how I have my other toy (in my sig) to play with. I keep seeing more and more ideas for this though.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:16 PM

Hmm, I just picked up a new set of black wheels with a red candy lip for my white Max.... May need to do the grille in the black plasti-dip and put a coat of red on the exterior surround of the grille to make it match the new wheels....... mind's a burning some ideas now! I'd never seen or heard of this ish before reading this thread! LOL
Old 05-01-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by MiDiablo
Hmm, I just picked up a new set of black wheels with a red candy lip for my white Max.... May need to do the grille in the black plasti-dip and put a coat of red on the exterior surround of the grille to make it match the new wheels....... mind's a burning some ideas now! I'd never seen or heard of this ish before reading this thread! LOL
That's hot and I'd love to see it! I agree with you though this forum gives you tons of ideas lots of creative *** peeps here.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:41 AM

I'll def keep you posted. Wifey and I are expecting our baby boy tomorrow or Tuesday to be delivered, so modding is going to be on pause for a few. But we will resume mid-May
Old 05-01-2011, 04:57 PM

Looks good, i may have to give it a try, as long as it peels off,
Old 05-02-2011, 01:12 PM

Can this be used for the inside of the exhaust tips? the paint is peeling off on my right exhaust tip
Old 05-08-2011, 08:03 AM

Well I've had mine plastidipped for what, over a month now, and looked at it today and a rock must have jumped up and hit it cause there's a small chip out of the plastidip where you can see the chrome through it again. I did 3 coats of it when I applied it, but I can see how it's not exactly going to be indestructible. Should I peel it off and re-do or just touch up after cleaning it?

Also how many coats did you guys do for yours? Just curious. When I plastidipped mine the surface looked really smooth on the first pass, but the second and third it started to have a weird texture to it - no longer smooth looking.

Wondering if I should peel it off and just paint it since I like the black so much anyway.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:09 AM

Daniel, I would honestly peel it off and redo it completely, just so all the texture is even. But since u own the car, and u like the black look, I would paint it. My car is leased, hence why I did plasti dip, plus its error proof. Good luck with everything.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:24 AM

My bodyshop guys just let me know that they are in the process of getting me 2011 Sport headlights at no extra charge to my repairs, WIll go amazing with My Plastidip grill!!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by sg1214
My bodyshop guys just let me know that they are in the process of getting me 2011 Sport headlights at no extra charge to my repairs, WIll go amazing with My Plastidip grill!!
Nice! Were your original ones damaged or are they just hooking it up?
Old 05-09-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by danielevans83
Nice! Were your original ones damaged or are they just hooking it up?
Well I crashed my car and needed new headlights anyway, so they went ahead and replaced them with 2011's. Will post pics when she comes home this weekend!
Old 05-10-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by djdavebse
can you use plasti dip on the brake caliper or will it get to hot and just melt it away
DO NOT use plastidip on your calipers. you will start a fire. your break calipers reach incredible temperatures. PLASTI is plastic, it would be like putting a zip lock bag on your engine.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
DO NOT use plastidip on your calipers. you will start a fire. your break calipers reach incredible temperatures. PLASTI is plastic, it would be like putting a zip lock bag on your engine.
Yeah I wouldn't use plastidip on anything that heats up a lot. I'm even seeing that it doesn't seem to be the best choice for things in the front of the car because rocks fly up and chip it. It's definitely a great easy reversible way to mod something though so I'm not knocking it. I think after experimenting with plastidip on my grill I'm going to peel it off at some point and just paint it forreal. Would be interesting to see if anyone does any of their chrome trim with plastidip and how that looks/holds up.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by sonomamax
Looks good, i may have to give it a try, as long as it peels off,
Yea it peels off if you scrape it off, but still very durable. Just did my friends g37 rims last month and looks sick. U can wash and clean no problem with a soap water and a rag. Will be doing my rims this week. Ill post pics after
Old 05-11-2011, 02:11 PM

I was just looking at a 4gen post about plasti dipped rims(he went gold), and had an in-genius idea.

Paint anything with plasti dip(as a kind of protective coat), let it dry then paint over the plasti dip with spray paint- spray paint has endless colors and finishes and it all can be peeled off with ease when you grow tired of the look- different colored rims each week
Old 05-11-2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by ambixel
Yea it peels off if you scrape it off, but still very durable. Just did my friends g37 rims last month and looks sick. U can wash and clean no problem with a soap water and a rag. Will be doing my rims this week. Ill post pics after
How'd you get yours so durable? I did three coats on my grill and it chipped easily.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by anish3232
No pictures of a White Maxima yet...

Looks beautiful. I miss having a white car
Old 05-11-2011, 09:06 PM

How'd you get yours so durable? I did three coats on my grill and it chipped easily.
We did 5 coats. Maybe your grill wasnt clean? His rims were so clean they looked as if theyve never been driven on. Did you wait 30-45 minutes in between coats?
Old 05-18-2011, 12:53 PM

Great idea / thread.

Quick question!

For those that have done the chrome trim around the windows... Would you recommend removing the trim, paint (with plasti) then reinstall? Or would I be better off taping it off and painting it that way?

I want as close to 100% perfect as I can get... I'm just worried when I reinstall the trim pieces I might mess up the paint (plasti).

I've been wanting to de-chrome the car since I picked it up last year... this would be perfect!
Old 05-18-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by justchil
Great idea / thread.

Quick question!

For those that have done the chrome trim around the windows... Would you recommend removing the trim, paint (with plasti) then reinstall? Or would I be better off taping it off and painting it that way?

I want as close to 100% perfect as I can get... I'm just worried when I reinstall the trim pieces I might mess up the paint (plasti).

I've been wanting to de-chrome the car since I picked it up last year... this would be perfect!
I don't think the trim around the windows comes off. At least without destroying it. If you're doing plastidip I'd tape it off and spray it. I did glossy black vinyl which matches the rest of the black trim PERFECTLY, but was sort of a pain around the rear edge of the rear windows. And yeah after you do it you'll wonder why you didn't do it earlier.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:48 PM

so is "black glossy vinyl" a color option with plastidip ? or is it a two step process, 1st step being a matt black and 2nd step being a clear coat ? not sure how it works.

I don't think the trim around the windows comes off. At least without destroying it. If you're doing plastidip I'd tape it off and spray it. I did glossy black vinyl which matches the rest of the black trim PERFECTLY, but was sort of a pain around the rear edge of the rear windows. And yeah after you do it you'll wonder why you didn't do it earlier.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:54 PM

It comes off.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:37 PM

does anyone know the answer to this question ?

Originally Posted by BBmaxi
so is "black glossy vinyl" a color option with plastidip ? or is it a two step process, 1st step being a matt black and 2nd step being a clear coat ? not sure how it works.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by mrodenberg0124
It comes off.
Really? I'd assume it would get bent to all hell pulling it off because that trim isn't exactly made of solid material. My car had some ugly chrome on the B pillars added by the previous owner and that stuff was destroyed by the time I got it off the car.

Originally Posted by BBmaxi
does anyone know the answer to this question ?
Not sure if Plastidip comes in a glossy spray, I used actual vinyl like the material you stretch over it and tuck around the edges. I used the matte black plastidip on my grill though and it looks good.

Quick Reply: All Plasti-DIP threads.