7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing tail light assembly

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:28 PM

Removing tail light assembly

IDK if this was posted in the past but I'm having a real hard time removing my tail lights. I'm getting them blacked out. I tried tapping the screws that are sticking out with a rubber hammer but it budged a little bit. I tried using a screw driver but I ended up breaking the plastic . I'm getting a new assembly but I still need help and advise removing it without damaging them in the future.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:54 PM

to my credit I have not attempted this yet. Pull the carpet back, remove all wiring from the taillights. unscrew any nuts on bolts and voila! try searching it? google that ****
Old 12-21-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Stlbluzoo11
to my credit I have not attempted this yet. Pull the carpet back, remove all wiring from the taillights. unscrew any nuts on bolts and voila! try searching it? google that ****
Removing all the nuts, carpet, and wiring was pretty straight forward. It was easy until I got to the part of basically removing it but it won't budge at all. I already did google and even call Nissan but they won't tell me for some stupid sh*t In frustration, I used a screw driver but ended up breaking the plastic. Now I have to buy another one that costs $300+ from the dealer
Old 12-21-2011, 06:07 AM

This has been posted several times in the 7th gen section (here). You should search for more details. It does sound like you used some of the techniques mentioned in those threads. I think you just lost patience. I used a screwdriver to loosen the lights without breaking anything. The slights HAVE to slide out towards the back. I think you were prying and lifting with the screwdriver but I could be wrong. I have a write-up out here on the rear lights with my method and others posted there with what worked for them.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by hamzer11
This has been posted several times in the 7th gen section (here). You should search for more details. It does sound like you used some of the techniques mentioned in those threads. I think you just lost patience. I used a screwdriver to loosen the lights without breaking anything. The slights HAVE to slide out towards the back. I think you were prying and lifting with the screwdriver but I could be wrong. I have a write-up out here on the rear lights with my method and others posted there with what worked for them.
yeah i did lose patience lol... where do you suggest i should place the flat screw driver?? so i can easily remove it... i need tips cause im removing my other tail light and i dont want anymore problem... getting them painted with vht nightshades... oh also how many coats you suggest?? thanks
Old 12-21-2011, 08:49 AM

i dont mess with the screwdriver method, i broke a piece off my tail light as well. Nissan told me to use the rubber mallet method (thats what they use + a strap to pull on the light) and the rubber mallet knocked them right out. you do have to hit them hard for the first time they come out tho
Old 12-21-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
i dont mess with the screwdriver method, i broke a piece off my tail light as well. Nissan told me to use the rubber mallet method (thats what they use + a strap to pull on the light) and the rubber mallet knocked them right out. you do have to hit them hard for the first time they come out tho

Ok thanks for your help Ghozt. I think I have an idea now. Where did you get your replacement tail light assembly from BTW? Thanks
Old 12-21-2011, 11:09 AM

Do a search. I posted detailed write up on How to w some pics as I removed mine few weeks ago

I would also suggest getting a trim
Removal kit from Advanced autopart or
Online ! These tools will not ruin paint etc N helps pry hard stuff out
Old 12-21-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by whit
Do a search. I posted detailed write up on How to w some pics as I removed mine few weeks ago

I would also suggest getting a trim
Removal kit from Advanced autopart or
Online ! These tools will not ruin paint etc N helps pry hard stuff out
Can you give me a link. Ghozt gave me a good idea and it won't hurt to gain some more. A removal kit sounds good but I don't want to spend the extra money on something I know that only requires your hands.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:29 PM

the trim removal kit is useful for taking off interior things as well, so if you see yourself doing more mods id go ahead and pick a set up. they're great they dont scratch stuff and they're strong. i was able to remove my tails just using a rubber mallet but if you're having trouble these might help. just definitely be careful around the edges since its very thin plastic on the tail light so regardless of what you push with there it will crack. i actually kept the same housing, i superglued the broken piece back on and when i tinted my tails i just did some extra wetsanding to smooth it all out again

something like this - http://www.amazon.com/No-Scratch-Too...sim_sbs_auto_2
Old 12-21-2011, 08:28 PM

the trim removal kit is useful for taking off interior things as well, so if you see yourself doing more mods id go ahead and pick a set up. they're great they dont scratch stuff and they're strong. i was able to remove my tails just using a rubber mallet but if you're having trouble these might help. just definitely be careful around the edges since its very thin plastic on the tail light so regardless of what you push with there it will crack. i actually kept the same housing, i superglued the broken piece back on and when i tinted my tails i just did some extra wetsanding to smooth it all out again

something like this - http://www.amazon.com/No-Scratch-Too...sim_sbs_auto_2
Thanks a lot for help Ghozt. The tools do look handy and I ordered them already. Just one question, since you super glued the piece back and sanded it down, is it noticeable when it blacked out and clear coated?
Old 12-22-2011, 05:01 AM

its not that noticeable no, if you get up on it you can almost see the line and tell but id give it a shot if you're looking at replacing it anyway. ive never had anyone walk up to my car and notice it
Old 12-22-2011, 06:53 AM

good luck! i tried taking mines off just to replace the signal lights and got so frustrated after several attempts.

just like how others have said, search and you will find the articles with pics.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:01 PM

Hey everyone, I blacked out one tail light so far. What you guys think? Without Ghozt's recommendation on the tools, I've wouldn't have gotten this done. I used Gilla peel and cling 20% tint.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:03 PM

looks good! is that tint film? if so props on getting it around those curves. i painted mine because it was easier for me than dealing with the curves on the tails lol
Old 12-26-2011, 08:08 PM

IMO it looks like every other maxima tail light when they're tinted :/
Old 12-26-2011, 09:04 PM

looks good! is that tint film? if so props on getting it around those curves. i painted mine because it was easier for me than dealing with the curves on the tails lol
I tried window film but it was way too hard for me then tried peel and cling window tint. It has no adhesives. The vinyl film clings to the plastic as if it has adhesives. It's easy but I needed to be patient with it. If a cop pulls me over, I can easily rip it off in front of him then cling it back on when I get home
Old 01-12-2012, 06:26 PM

Thought I'd post how I removed my tails since I had a hard time getting them out as well. What worked for me was to use a small block of wood against the top post, where the 8mm nut came off, and hit it a few times with a hammer. The post at first got hung up on the hole. Just pushed the light back in and repeated. The second time the entire light came out.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am trying to replace a tail light on 2003 vehicle. the book says "remove caps". are those the two plugs with handles that cover the light area?
I could'n't get them to pull out
what is the trick?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:43 PM

F#$% Nissan for making those lights the way they did. A 17 year old girl should be able to pull a taillight and change a bulb without going to the damn dealership. I gave up. Write up or no write up those things are a SOB. Screw LEDs. Ain't worth a $300 lens assembly.

...and no, I'm not a 17 year old girl. =P Just saying..
Old 09-08-2012, 10:48 AM

Just FY everyone's I, I went back at the taillights the other day and got the right out. Thought I'd share since it is kind of a pain for some people. It literally takes 10 seconds to pop them out this way.

It was 100+ degrees out so after the car sat in the sun, the little plastic sleeves inside the trunk that the pins pop into were nice and soft. I'd think a heat gun or hair dryer would get the same thing done there. I had my dad put his palm flat on the side of the light and the other hand around the inside edge, while he kind of rocked the light back and forth with one hand and pushed towards the rear of the car with his flat palm, I used a pair of pliers to squeeze the very tip of the plastic sleeves, kind of pinching them. Using flat nosed pliers instead of needle noses would word way better. As soon as I pinched the top one, the light popped right out in his hands. Took 10 seconds, max.

It doesn't damage the sleeves at all. And the light popped right back in. I had to take the lights back out today and it's only 65 degrees out, so the sleeves aren't soft like they were the other day. I didn't want to drive to my dad's to get his help so I came up with a pretty good idea. I used the suction cup and arm from an old navigation system windshield mount. Attached it to the side of the taillight, and pulled towards the rear while I used a small piece of wood to push on both studs inside of the trunk. *POP* -- 10 seconds.

It actually made my day. LOL I wasted 3 hours trying to get these things out at one point when I first got the car. I was scared to crack one and didn't know wtf I was doing with it.

Either way, I think even using the suction cup method - you'll still probably need to pinch the very tip of each pin sleeve one time to get the pins started out but maybe not. Oh, last thing - I had a bunch of different suction cups laying around and it seems like the medium sized ones don't like to attach. The small ones and the really large one I tried worked great though.

Name:  IMG_20120908_121526.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  179.2 KB

Pinch both this sleeve and the black one above it. Use regular wire pliers, they work much better. Just used needlenoses for the pic.

Name:  IMG_20120908_122918.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  241.8 KB

Pull straight back. Works like a charm! =)
Old 02-21-2013, 08:56 AM

To elaborate for all others who may need to do this one day.

Those plastic sleeves that help hold the tail light in...STAY WITH THE CAR. I didn't realize this, and I found some other guides that mention banging with a mallet.

You can bang until you're blue in the face, but it's not going to help. If anything, you'll break those plastic things, and have to buy some more, or bend the car's metal...

Squeezing them from the top/bottom helped release them for me. Not sure if this guide goes into the specifics, but I kept squeezing them from the side, as that's where the sleeves have a notch that catches the car's frame. I assumed the procedure was to squeeze them until those nothces gave. Nope, not a good idea.

So just remember that the plastic sleeves STAY WITH THE CAR and all should work out OK.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:01 AM

Those plastic clips attached to the wire aren't holding the tail on. Its a pinch style bolt so needs lots of pressure to release, this is why the pliers helped above.

Originally Posted by PalmettoFellow
To elaborate for all others who may need to do this one day.

Those plastic sleeves that help hold the tail light in...STAY WITH THE CAR. I didn't realize this, and I found some other guides that mention banging with a mallet.

You can bang until you're blue in the face, but it's not going to help. If anything, you'll break those plastic things, and have to buy some more, or bend the car's metal...

Squeezing them from the top/bottom helped release them for me. Not sure if this guide goes into the specifics, but I kept squeezing them from the side, as that's where the sleeves have a notch that catches the car's frame. I assumed the procedure was to squeeze them until those nothces gave. Nope, not a good idea.

So just remember that the plastic sleeves STAY WITH THE CAR and all should work out OK.