7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Max highly unstable on interstate speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
Honestly the OEM tires are crap, regardless of how you played them up here. This was one of the first mods I made when i got my car, get rid of all stock Maxima tires whenever you get a Maxima (the first thing i do, they truly suck).

I don't know why anyone like these tires, they're especially crap in rain or wet pavement.
So true, the tend to put expensive horrible tires on them and the Z as well. Those RSA's were scary and I can't believe they went back to them, they were outright dangerous to drive in the rain on my 97 SE.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:25 PM

Another owner here with no tire or tracking problems...although mine is a '12 with only 3k miles. I have noticed from the start however that the ride is a little rough on bumpy streets and certain road textures. I do not have the sport package. RS-As seemed ok to me in the limited snow and rain driving I did with the car this far.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:44 AM

Car shape - don't think so--pickups and SUVs would be horrible if that were the case. I've cruised my car at a lot of speeds and I've never felt the car was squirrelly unless a breeze was up. I've noticed it's sensitive to even a light breeze.

So here's the thing--wheel alignment, particularly front toe in plays a significant role in car stability at high speeds. I'd talk to a good alignment tech and consider tweaking your toe in. My guess would be that factory alignment specs try to minimize roll resistance to save gas mileage. Wheels that track straight give the car optimum gas mileage and the highest top speed but don't help stability at speed. Also, I would suspect that if any one tire is even slightly toed while the rest were tracking straight that the car would be very sensitive. I think tweaks to alignment will stabilize your car and is a cheap and easy place to make adjustments without new tires or modifying your suspension.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:54 PM

I can't help but think lots of these stability and wandering problems are just due to tires. My son put some brand new Continentals on his WRX (not a Nissan) and it was just one problem after another. They swapped tires, rotated them, balanced and aligned the car but could not correct the slow divergence from the road, they could only change it so that it diverged left or right depending upon how the tires were installed. Finally he gave up and had Michelins installed and poof - right down the center of the road - same rims. The problem with bad tires is that its difficult to tie down exactly what the problem is. I suggest that before you buy tires, you take the manager for a drive to show how the car responds, and explain that he will have to keep putting new tires on until he achieves a similar response. There seems to be some really bad quality control on tires.

Last edited by Lemonhawk; 04-10-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tomas MaxThriller
Car shape - don't think so--pickups and SUVs would be horrible if that were the case. I've cruised my car at a lot of speeds and I've never felt the car was squirrelly unless a breeze was up. I've noticed it's sensitive to even a light breeze.

So here's the thing--wheel alignment, particularly front toe in plays a significant role in car stability at high speeds. I'd talk to a good alignment tech and consider tweaking your toe in. My guess would be that factory alignment specs try to minimize roll resistance to save gas mileage. Wheels that track straight give the car optimum gas mileage and the highest top speed but don't help stability at speed. Also, I would suspect that if any one tire is even slightly toed while the rest were tracking straight that the car would be very sensitive. I think tweaks to alignment will stabilize your car and is a cheap and easy place to make adjustments without new tires or modifying your suspension.

While i do not believe that anyone here was solely blaming the shape of this car as the only reason for it having the issues with wandering all over the road it does factor in to the problem.

As i stated before that the CD on this car is 0.33, most cars (Cars) today are 0.31 or even lower and with the big pronounced bulges front and back they have to have some type of wind resistant or turbulence issues.

I personally believe that the wandering is a combination of all of the following things and lack of some:

Car shape/flat front end-due to wind and turbulence issues
Crappy RSA Tires, especially in wet or snow-icy conditions
Stiff Anti-Roll bars especially over bumps
High Wheelgap-when lowered it corners better and flatter

What's missing that would help:

Coilovers-Eibach Pro Kit-lower center of gravity, flatter cornering
RSB-definitely makes cornering flatter, more stable ride and little to no rocking uptop due to stiff anti-roll bars
FSTB-corners flatter, more stable and tends to stop the bending and flexing experienced from FWD cars when going over bumps or taking turns at faster speeds
Tires-better aftermarket types-better grip, better traction in wet or icy
Trunklid Spoiler/Roof Spoilers-actually more cosmetic but than aesthetic but over certain speeds downforce does come into play, did I mention they look cool as heck too??

Aerodynamics are important in wind resistance that's why sportscars are designed using them so scientifically. I'm sure you know all of this and I'm in no way trying to one-up or belittle your intellect in any way, shape or form.

The bottom line on this is that if Hondas and Toyotas were built with a bodyshape like our cars then they'd experience the same thing we do but if you at least add in the RSB, FSTB, coilovers/Eibachs and better tires that you will no doubt feel the difference.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:04 PM
shb

what are the estimate cost of each options ?
So disappointed... I spent $30k+ for this car hoping everything is well without having worrying about these stuffs.... damn Nissan and their "great engineering"

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
While i do not believe that anyone here was solely blaming the shape of this car as the only reason for it having the issues with wandering all over the road it does factor in to the problem.

As i stated before that the CD on this car is 0.33, most cars (Cars) today are 0.31 or even lower and with the big pronounced bulges front and back they have to have some type of wind resistant or turbulence issues.

I personally believe that the wandering is a combination of all of the following things and lack of some:

Car shape/flat front end-due to wind and turbulence issues
Crappy RSA Tires, especially in wet or snow-icy conditions
Stiff Anti-Roll bars especially over bumps
High Wheelgap-when lowered it corners better and flatter

What's missing that would help:

Coilovers-Eibach Pro Kit-lower center of gravity, flatter cornering
RSB-definitely makes cornering flatter, more stable ride and little to no rocking uptop due to stiff anti-roll bars
FSTB-corners flatter, more stable and tends to stop the bending and flexing experienced from FWD cars when going over bumps or taking turns at faster speeds
Tires-better aftermarket types-better grip, better traction in wet or icy
Trunklid Spoiler/Roof Spoilers-actually more cosmetic but than aesthetic but over certain speeds downforce does come into play, did I mention they look cool as heck too??

Aerodynamics are important in wind resistance that's why sportscars are designed using them so scientifically. I'm sure you know all of this and I'm in no way trying to one-up or belittle your intellect in any way, shape or form.

The bottom line on this is that if Hondas and Toyotas were built with a bodyshape like our cars then they'd experience the same thing we do but if you at least add in the RSB, FSTB, coilovers/Eibachs and better tires that you will no doubt feel the difference.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:23 PM

get a strut bar n eibach lowering springs. problem solved lol

I forgot how a stock maxima drove so I can't provide any feedback
Old 03-28-2015, 12:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

control arm bushings

Its the poorly engineered lower control arm bushing orientation. Keep an eye on those bushing they crack and fall apart after awhile.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:48 PM

alignment off?

I test drove a gen 7 and it wasn't shaky but I found it so stupid you couldn't move the rear seats like in my gen 5.5

Also you bought wrong car if you wanted a sports sedan... The Q50 or G37 would have been the better Nissan family choice

Last edited by george__; 03-28-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine is horrible. Mine is on eibachs and the alignment is right on but it has a feeling of tow out if the front and the rear likes to jump around. Never had this issue with my prior 3 Maximas.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:25 PM

Baha so much for four door sports sedan
Old 03-28-2015, 02:34 PM

My 98 Maxima SE felt solid at highway speeds for all the of the 14 years I owned it. Can't say the same about my 2014 sport. Dealer checked the alignment. It was fine. I drove another new 2014 Sport. It handled exactly the same as mine.

Maybe Nissan will get things right with the 8th Gen.

Last edited by Nopike; 03-28-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Nopike
My 98 Maxima SE felt solid at highway speeds for all the of the 14 years I owned it. Can't say the same about my 2014 sport. Dealer checked the alignment. It was fine. I drove another new 2014 Sport. It handled exactly the same as mine.

Maybe Nissan will get things right with the 8th Gen.
Doubt it. Betting reviewers will call it a entry level luxury sedan again
Old 03-28-2015, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by george__
Doubt it. Betting reviewers will call it a entry level luxury sedan again
I don't expect that Nissan will get things right.

Can't blame it on the shape of the car unless Nissan is making their cars less aerodynamic.

I loved my 4th Gen. Best car ever. I love/hate my 7th Gen.

Last edited by Nopike; 03-28-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nopike
I don't expect that Nissan will get things right.

Can't blame it on the shape of the car unless Nissan is making their cars less aerodynamic.

I loved my 4th Gen. Best car ever. I love/hate my 7th Gen.
I don't buy into the shape of car explanation
Old 03-28-2015, 07:34 PM

Part of it is shape, in combination with suspension.
I'm on coils now, and the issue for my car has been helped a lot, but strong winds really like to push the car around.

A good alignment is critical. My car was damn near terrifying to drive over 70mph. I took it in, and I had toe out on all 4 corners, as well as a lot of negative camber. Large railroad tracks on the way to work was the culprit. Got it aligned and it is now steady at 110 with no issues.

One issue that I haven't been able to address is how soft the stearing is on center. I really have to work to keep it straight. It loves to track with road camber as well as worn tracks on the road. I can still let go of the wheel for 1/4 mile or more on smooth road, but as soon as there is anything for the car to follow, it will.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

One last thing. STOP RECOMMENDING A FRONT STRUT TOWER BRACE. It is useless and purely cosmetic on our cars.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MaximaDrvr
One issue that I haven't been able to address is how soft the stearing is on center. I really have to work to keep it straight. It loves to track with road camber as well as worn tracks on the road. I can still let go of the wheel for 1/4 mile or more on smooth road, but as soon as there is anything for the car to follow, it will.

MaximaDrvr: I am so glad you made that statement, for my sanity! I've had my 2010 for 3 yrs now and it just does not track right consistently. I thought it was me just being too picky but you described it to a T. Removing the off-brand import tires (Rotolo or something like that) and putting on Goodyears helped tremendously but the issue is sill there. Love to hear from others if this describes their car.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:30 AM

I don't have any of these issues with my car at all, I am stock except for exhaust and intake. I did however put Michelin tires on as soon as I was able, cost over a grand but the ride is much more quiet and it runs straight as an arrow.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bossman150
I don't have any of these issues with my car at all, I am stock except for exhaust and intake. I did however put Michelin tires on as soon as I was able, cost over a grand but the ride is much more quiet and it runs straight as an arrow.
Ditto - the issues stated does not exist in my car and I'm running with stock RSA's. I run at 75mph on the interstates and there is no wobble, wander or drift. When it's time to change tires about 70,000 miles, I will use Conti DWS.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:19 AM

My opinion is hat they all do it, just that some people are more perceptive to it.
Coming from a sports car, and regular autoX, it is very noticeable. Maybe coming from an SUV or other family movers/sedans it may not be so evident.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just purchased a 2014 Maxima SV and have only put about 350 Miles on the vehicle, but I notice no instability, even at speeds in excess of 80. I have the stock tires....
Old 03-30-2015, 10:51 AM

Bear in mind that when most people refer to how "stable" a car is at speed, they are mostly talking about on center feel.
The Maxima has speed sensitive steering, which varies the amount of effort needed based on a number of conditions. The Max doesn't have the best on center feel, but it's hardly not stable.
If you are feeling this, you may just be used to different steering feel. You do get used to this and, once you do, it stops being a problem. I drive about 18,000 miles a year, with a lot of highway. In January, I drove to southern Florida and back (to the Chicagoland area) and the car was as stable as anything else I've driven. The steering is set up to feel responsive, so you have to drive it properly.
If your passengers are detecting that you are moving the steering wheel constantly, either you need an alignment, new tires, or you just aren't a very good driver.
I just passed 35k and no one has ever noticed what was described in the OP.
Also, and I'm just saying, there is never a good reason to take your hands off of the wheel for any distance. That's just dangerous.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:34 PM

^ I drive between 40-45k a year. The on center feel is not great, regardless of stability. (I agree)
But, because of the light weight steering for on center, gusts of wind easily move the car between perceived movement and corrections made.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:30 PM

The OEM Goodyears might be cr*p compared to some of the other performance tires out there but I think that most of us aren't about to replace them until they are worn or at least have enough mileage on them.
Frankly, I'd rather deal with the shortcomings of the tire for right now and spend the money on other mods. But believe me, when it's time for them to go, they will go...
Old 04-04-2015, 01:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Floating feeling

My too feels a bit like it is floating at highway speed but not always. I am going with the Eibach springs too to help as I believe it has to do with cross winds or a high center of gravity with the OEM setup. Other than that, truly love the car!
Old 04-04-2015, 02:32 PM

No issues with my 2010, knock on wood...got 37k miles lowered on eibachs, rear sway bar and new rubber all around...this thing stays glued to the road in all weather conditions. I love getting on the highway with this car
Old 04-06-2015, 04:27 AM

Yeah, I noticed this last Friday on my way home from work. I have a 37mi trip home and 25 of it is Interstate. I was feeling saucy because I've only had my Max 9 days now, and was getting on it a little bit and going about 80 most of the way. I noticed the sway back and forth and it was a lot different feeling from the Mazda 6 I had just owned. I thought maybe the wind was blowing hard and it was shoving it back and forth...but noticed no wind at the next redlight. After reading this thread, I feel better about it. My car came with Goodyear Eagle tires. Are these any good? I'm so new to Maximas, I feel like a dumbazz all of a sudden. Also, I dont have the "sport" package. Do all 2011s have the same size rims? 18"?? I was thinking about getting another set of BF Goodrich Tractions...down side is they're directional, and cant be traditionally rotated.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Stepet
MaximaDrvr: I am so glad you made that statement, for my sanity! I've had my 2010 for 3 yrs now and it just does not track right consistently. I thought it was me just being too picky but you described it to a T. Removing the off-brand import tires (Rotolo or something like that) and putting on Goodyears helped tremendously but the issue is sill there. Love to hear from others if this describes their car.
EXACTLY!!
I think this is what the thread, although old, is primarily talking about. Oh yeah, my 2010 does it EXACTLY as u described MaximaDrvr. Especially upwards of 90MPH.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by dexcool
EXACTLY!!
I think this is what the thread, although old, is primarily talking about. Oh yeah, my 2010 does it EXACTLY as u described MaximaDrvr. Especially upwards of 90MPH.

I used to be a mechanic, AutoX regularly, have driven no less than 50 different models of vehicle, and used to drive 45,000 miles a year or more. I also make parts for the auto industry world wide.
I'm fairly competent when it comes to vehicles.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaDrvr

I used to be a mechanic, AutoX regularly, have driven no less than 50 different models of vehicle, and used to drive 45,000 miles a year or more. I also make parts for the auto industry world wide.
I'm fairly competent when it comes to vehicles.
Well, very well done. Explained to the "T" and I read a post earlier in this thread referring to the Max's steering sensitivity/steering input. All factors discussed seem connected and plausible. Including a post about lower control arm bushings deteriorating...
Old 04-25-2015, 05:27 AM

I think its the design. Whenever I pass an 18 wheeler you guys ever notice the strain on the engine and the mpg meter drops...? I dont recall this happening in my old car. I think they chose design over function with the hips of the car. Sometimes I get hit by wind which forces the car sideways and both hands on the steering wheel. I look around to see if any other cars get hit by this wind and nope it only me... So yea its the design mostly.

Last edited by zoemayne; 04-25-2015 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:44 AM

My 4th Gen was probably less aerodynamic than my 7th Gen. The 4th Gen always felt solid. My 4th Gen had Goodyear RSA's and only 16 inch wheels. So I doubt it's the shape of the car or the tires causing the issue. You should not have to modify the suspension of the vehicle, as some would suggest, to get a stable ride. Nissan failed.

Last edited by Nopike; 04-25-2015 at 06:53 AM.