7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I hate my 2012 Maxima SV

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by smarty666
Tires RSA Eagles are deadly in snow or rain.
Mud Flaps are not mud flaps they are stone chip guards the car gets filthy.
Horrible in snow
Front Seatbelt clips bounce off side cowl scratching

The points above are legitimate as I have come to this conclusion myself with the Maxima. None of these can be found during a test drive. You only find it out as you drive the car on a regular basis. I am disappointed in Nissan's "mud guards". They aren't really mud guards, just an extra piece of body molding that do nothing to protect the sides of the car from scratches and debri. I shouldn't have to go and by something aftermarket to protect this area on a $40k automobile.
LOL. Put yourself in the same category as the OP. Mudflaps?? Seriously?? Who the hell would want mudflaps on a maxima?? :matt93se:
Old 06-16-2012, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by 20_Maxima_10
LOL. Put yourself in the same category as the OP. Mudflaps?? Seriously?? Who the hell would want mudflaps on a maxima?? :matt93se:

Agreed!!
Old 06-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

every car has some downfalls but, for the money the maxima is one hell of a car. i love mine!!!
Old 06-16-2012, 09:46 PM

The mud flaps arent mud flaps and should be given a different name, in all its a nice additional trim piece.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jam_Roc
The mud flaps arent mud flaps and should be given a different name, in all its a nice additional trim piece.
The correct name is splash guards. Don't know who the heck started this mud flap talk
Old 06-17-2012, 04:50 AM

I hate mine too, chicks keep throwing their panties at it and this is putting a strain on my marriage.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:49 AM

trolololololol

but just for fun ...

How short do you have to be not to be able to reach both wipers from one side of the car?
Old 06-17-2012, 09:48 AM

Plenty of other automakers offer color keyed mud flaps as an accessory option. One's that at least have a extended lip that ACTUALLY protects the car. You don't even notice them. Who the hell woudn't want mudflaps, they PROECT the sides from rock chips, etc. Seem stupid not to want to keep your Maxima looking nice and chip/scratch free.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Car Addict
The correct name is splash guards. Don't know who the heck started this mud flap talk
Yeah, a nice additional trim piece that does nothing to protect the sides of the car from debri, etc that the tires pick up and throw up along the side, lol.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:30 AM
Banned

I think others have said this and will agree. Op seems to just be on here to rant. (90% of what you have stated will be an issue with any automobile you buy. From a kia to a mercedes. i think you were just bored OP lol
Old 06-18-2012, 07:37 AM

I had mud flaps on my '95 maxima. They actually added to the look in addition to protecting the paint.

I'm not sure what these things are intended to do nowadays. Is the point to pop them off and replace them if they reach the point of major chipping?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:23 AM

I for one hate the look of mudflaps, fkn looks retarded on a car. I prefer the splash guards whether it be functional or not.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by esco115
I for one hate the look of mudflaps, fkn looks retarded on a car. I prefer the splash guards whether it be functional or not.
Plus one to that I hate "mudflaps" on cars looks really dumb hence why I tend to not like Infiniti's with them
Old 06-18-2012, 09:42 AM

here's my responses and I will start at the top

--Torque Steer? Google torgue steer for FWD Nissans.....WE KNOW THIS ALREADY (and I think its fun to drive and it's nothing compared to my Sentra SE-R Spec-V)

On that note, why don't you tell us why you like the car?? Cuz from this list it sounds like the economy got the best of you and you use to be european car owner that thinks 40k for a 3 series beamer is better than a Max.

I love my Max. If you don't, get rid of it. Forum has no room for whiners.
Man I had an 03 Spec V your right about that. 02 Maxima almost as bad.

Now I haven't driven the new 3 but I like the looks and from reviews etc. I think I'll have to say 3 is superior to the Max.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:22 PM

I think the mud flap talk here has been a little confusing to most of us. But I think I see what has happened.

We all understand that the Nissan OEM SPLASH GUARDS bear no resemblance to MUD FLAPS, and are primarily stylistic, serving little purpose other than to add a visually interesting touch and possibly deflect small rocks and debris from scratching the paint in that area.

But the 'MUD FLAP' talk has evolved from the fact several folks here (including me) have bought mud flaps from places like Pep Boys and DRASTICALLY cut them down to where ONLY 2 or 3 INCHES actually stick down below the rear bottom lips of the wheel wells.

That does not sound like it would make a difference in helping to keep the sides of the car clean, but it does. I think a proper name for them would be MUD DEFLECTORS, because there is nothing 'flappy' about them, although I could also see calling them 'TRIM FLAPS.'

Best of all, these little trimmed-down things are black, and are virtually invisible. Being a little proud of my careful work in making and installing these things, I frequently ask folks (friends, neighbors, service techs, etc) how they like my 'mud flaps.' So far, the stock answer has always been 'What mud flaps?' They are that unnoticable.

Here is a writeup on how to make these 'trim flaps' from the very comprehensive and useful 'sticky' section of this board:

http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...mud-flaps.html

After I added these flaps to my white Maxima, I lightly sanded and painted the inside of the wheel wells black, which made these black trip flaps immediately invisible against the black background, and also meant the normal road gunk that had been so visible against the white paint inside the wheel wells was no longer so noticable.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:52 PM

Don't take this the wrong way but you sound like someone that just complains about everything but yet you know nothing about cars and how a majority are designed and put together.

And you're very redundant if not annoying in the way you repeat the same thing just in a different way.

here's my responses and I will start at the top

-Paint and chip damage? Get Lexshield or Clear bra
-Mudflaps not being mudflaps? No Sh*t they aren't mud flaps.
-Gas pedal too far away? move your seat farther up
-Torque Steer? Google torgue steer for FWD Nissans.....WE KNOW THIS ALREADY (and I think its fun to drive and it's nothing compared to my Sentra SE-R Spec-V)
-Snow? Tires? Poor in the rain? Yes, those tires aren't great, but how many other cars in this class are gonna use really nice tires. BUY NEW ONES!
-Front Bumper too low? I'm lowered and never hit a curb. DON'T PULL SO FAR FORWARD!
-Hitting steering wheel controls? Don't drive with your palms!
-Seat uncomfortable? That's your problem
-Faux leather on the seat? Once again, how many cars in it's class actually have real leather.
-Seat warmer buttons hard to see? How often do you really turn it on and off? and do you really NEED to see it to know if it's on or not. up=low, down=high and centered=off
-ipod and electrical outlets? I work for Cadillac and everything car they make is the same way. Don't keep so much crap in your center console and you won't have that problem.
-Car gets dirty in light rain? Join the club. Who's car doesn't? Mudflaps won't change that.
-Programming bluetooth by voice? How many things you keep trying to program?? One and done
-Seat belt scratching panel? Stop throwing your seat belt off.
-Brake pedal half the size? what's the regular size?
-Doors close when not on flat ground? name a car that stays open on a hill!
-Steering loose out of hard turns? FWD and you're accelerating! DUH!
-Gear shift **** pinching your skin?? ARE YOU SERIOUS?! You don't need a death grip to change gears!
-Can't lift windshield wipers independently? get use to it. would rather have more wiper coverage or be too lazy to walk around to the other side.
-Moisture in tails? grow a pair and tell the dealership to replace them. that's not normal

On that note, why don't you tell us why you like the car?? Cuz from this list it sounds like the economy got the best of you and you use to be european car owner that thinks 40k for a 3 series beamer is better than a Max.

I love my Max. If you don't, get rid of it. Forum has no room for whiners.

I could have not said it better myself!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 07:30 PM

Talking Thanks for making my day!

I've got 3 words to the OP:
TEST DRIVE and RESEARCH.

Seriously? Torque steer? What do you expect with that engine and front wheel drive?
Steering controls? Keep your eyes on the road and wrap your hands on around the wheel! I'm damned curious how you hold the steering wheel!
Splash Guards? I am curious if they are actually to prevent splash for the cars behind you - I honestly think this is what it is designed to minimize so cars behind you aren't blinded by water splash
Dash computer controls not visibly accessible, have to take eyes off road to use - maybe you should use the steering controls...or VOICE COMMAND with tech package
Tires RSA Eagles are deadly in snow or rain. - learn how to drive. Even 4/AWD are deadly in snow or rain if not properly driven...in short, don't do 80mph in slick conditions
Ipod and av jacks in bottom of closed console and need to empty console to access - there is a pass-through on the console to avoid this - all I have is my USB cable barely sticking out if not in use. iPhone in cupholder/storage otherwise. SMH

MY FAVORITES:
Gear shift **** pinching your skin - I don't think you are human...
Can't lift windshield wipers independently - SMH
Programing Bluetooth by voice is impossible - Park the care, close the windows. Have you tried programming Subaru's by voice? THAT is a pain - Maxima via screen - click here and there - DONE and SAFE!
Seat belt scratching panel - like others said - don't throw your seatbelt!
Brake pedal half the size? - Like I said, I don't think you are human.
Doors close when not on flat ground? - Yeah, I hate it when gravity works!

And the best of them all:
Car gets dirty in light rain...you need to get a bubble for your car!!!

My Overall assessment:
We have a P.I.C.N.I.C. error here.
Problem In Chair Not In Car
Old 06-18-2012, 08:31 PM

I nominate this thread as the trolling thread of the year.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:03 PM

My dealer told me the white paint will never get dirty. Was this a lie?????
Old 06-18-2012, 09:13 PM

Plenty of other automakers offer color keyed mud flaps as an accessory option. One's that at least have a extended lip that ACTUALLY protects the car. You don't even notice them. Who the hell woudn't want mudflaps, they PROECT the sides from rock chips, etc. Seem stupid not to want to keep your Maxima looking nice and chip/scratch free.
My car is 2 years old and I don't have any chips or scratches where these "mudflaps" that u speak of would be. So it seems stupid to put those on my car. And I live in AZ. Mud, and rain are the least of my concerns. U should invent a 'dustflap' for me. And my Max has the rock guards btw. Screw ur mudflaps! Lol
Old 06-18-2012, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by 7speed
Man I had an 03 Spec V your right about that. 02 Maxima almost as bad.

Now I haven't driven the new 3 but I like the looks and from reviews etc. I think I'll have to say 3 is superior to the Max.
Beamers and benz's do feel and are more solidly built yes. But the pricing and options I get with the Max is far better than that of the 3 series. Granted nowadays u can go buy a Kia Forte and get about 80% of the options the Max has. But its still a Kia and built like a Kia.

And we are comparing apples to oranges in a way of FWD/RWD.

Last edited by 20_Maxima_10; 06-19-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I think the mud flap talk here has been a little confusing to most of us. But I think I see what has happened.

We all understand that the Nissan OEM SPLASH GUARDS bear no resemblance to MUD FLAPS, and are primarily stylistic, serving little purpose other than to add a visually interesting touch and possibly deflect small rocks and debris from scratching the paint in that area.

But the 'MUD FLAP' talk has evolved from the fact several folks here (including me) have bought mud flaps from places like Pep Boys and DRASTICALLY cut them down to where ONLY 2 or 3 INCHES actually stick down below the rear bottom lips of the wheel wells.

That does not sound like it would make a difference in helping to keep the sides of the car clean, but it does. I think a proper name for them would be MUD DEFLECTORS, because there is nothing 'flappy' about them, although I could also see calling them 'TRIM FLAPS.'

Best of all, these little trimmed-down things are black, and are virtually invisible. Being a little proud of my careful work in making and installing these things, I frequently ask folks (friends, neighbors, service techs, etc) how they like my 'mud flaps.' So far, the stock answer has always been 'What mud flaps?' They are that unnoticable.

Here is a writeup on how to make these 'trim flaps' from the very comprehensive and useful 'sticky' section of this board:

http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...mud-flaps.html

After I added these flaps to my white Maxima, I lightly sanded and painted the inside of the wheel wells black, which made these black trip flaps immediately invisible against the black background, and also meant the normal road gunk that had been so visible against the white paint inside the wheel wells was no longer so noticeable.
I always like reading your posts. Very informative. I like what you did with the mud flaps. I have always wanted to do mine like that. I just like the look of yours. I hope I can do that as a weekend project. What kind of mudflaps did you buy? The cheap basic ones from autozone? I think it should be under $40 for all 4? If yes, then I wouldn't mind giving this a shot and if it turns out like yours, I will like it a lot.

Let me know.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima
I always like reading your posts. Very informative. I like what you did with the mud flaps. I have always wanted to do mine like that. I just like the look of yours. I hope I can do that as a weekend project. What kind of mudflaps did you buy? The cheap basic ones from autozone? I think it should be under $40 for all 4? If yes, then I wouldn't mind giving this a shot and if it turns out like yours, I will like it a lot.

Let me know.
PetitFrereMaxima - I have just responded to you via PM in ful detail as to how I did my wheel well molding and trim flaps. Feel free to post that PM here if you wish, as there may be others interested.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Saltdet
Paint damage and chips easily poor quality paint
Tires RSA Eagles are deadly in snow or rain.
Mud Flaps are not mud flaps they are stone chip guards the car gets filthy.
Gas Pedal to far away
Torque Steer is dangerous if you don't know about it can be deadly
Horrible in snow
Poor in Rain
Front bumper too low scrapes curbs
Steering wheel radio controls stick out too far and accidentally hit them and change channels frequently.
Drivers Seat uncomfortable.
Leather on sides of seats, mid back seat and headrests not real
Can't fix headliner rattle after two times
Dash computer controls not visibly accessible, have to take eyes off road to use
Seat warmer buttons in hard to view location
Electric outlets in bottom of arm rest and have to empty out consoles to use.
Ipod and av jacks in bottom of closed console and need to empty console to access
Car gets filthy in light rain because mud flaps are fake and are small chip guards
Programing Bluetooth by voice is impossible because it scans by name at letter A and runs slow
Cant scan it by alphabet
Front Seatbelt clips bounce off side cowl scratching it
Brake pedal is half size of regular one
Doors close on you if not open all the way even on flat ground
No option to lower radio when answering bluetooth phone, therefore when ending call radio blasts creating a significant driver disturbance.
Tech display is off on Radio display by avg. MPG. IE. Read 22.7 Avg MPG and at refueling tank took 17.665 gallons and B trip gauge that I reset every refill read 366 miles. That equals 20.7. This has been consistent for three months of tracking.
Steering loose out of hard right turns.
Gear shift **** lever has a recess in it that catches the skin on your finger
Cannot independently lift the windshield wipers. The Drivers side must be lifted first then the passenger side.
This makes it very difficult when removing ice or cleaning the windshield. Have to keep walking around the front of car.
Taillights fill up with moisture and Nissan says that’s normal.
Nisssan customer service reps are scripted and monkeys would do better.
Some of the guys here are just too fanatical about their Maximas so they're quick to jump on you and defend their assessment in comparison to your's.

On the other hand some of your beefs are legit, like the Tires (RSAs) they're totally worthless and I got rid of them soon after I bought my car. Remember that the tires Nissan equips these cars with aren't winter tires.

The taillights are a legit beef and I'd do something about that immediately if I were you, going to another dealership should fix that right away.

I bought my 09 brand new in Aug 08 and I have not had any of the issues that many people here have complained about and I thank God for that.

You should just trade the car and get a Toyota or even a Hyundai but I can guarantee that you are going to encounter something that plagues you about any car in this class or just about any car in general.

Try a different approach; find the things you like about the car and focus more on them.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

wow half this stuff you are the idiot for making it confuzing, and yeah go ahead and trade for a BMW where your maintenance costs would buy a maxima in a few years. and the other half the stuff would have been noticed on a test drive, and also with a little research so once again not the car, it's the operator that failed to test drive (apparently) and research before spending tens of thousands of dollars.

Paint damage and chips easily poor quality paint - that's just about every MFG unless you go to top dollar cars because it's an issue with EVERYTHING i've ever owned(MB, Porche, Audi, Infinity, Lexus, etc.)
Tires RSA Eagles are deadly in snow or rain. - slow down or learn to drive, mine are almost balb and i have no issues in rain or snow/ice, althought i will agree that they could have put much better tires on...
Mud Flaps are not mud flaps they are stone chip guards the car gets filthy - so wash it... woopty doo.... every car i've owned gets washed and spray waxed 1-2 times a week and a true wax once a month
Gas Pedal to far away - move the seat up, mines perfect, althought someone will always complain because they have nothing better to do as you should have noticed this on a test drive, but someone is always too short, or to tall, or too big to fit in a car perfectly....
Torque Steer is dangerous if you don't know about it can be deadly - must be your first FWD car with a bit of power, this is inevidable in FWD cars, if you didn't want torque steer your should have gotter a RWD car, or did you really think there would be none, on that note your fault.
Horrible in snow heard this soooo many times, i've driven in 2 feet of snow (realistically about 8 inches on highway but this was in a 3 foot blizzard) in a lowered honda sitting about an inch of the ground and had no issues, and of course this throught ice storms and snow and have no issues, learn to drive in the snow... period... remember the car is only as good as the driver... and im on the east coast we get snow i haven't had an issue...
Poor in Rain - was it a tropical flood cuz my tires have like 4-5/32nds tread and its just fine in the rain, once in a while you get a little hydroplane but nothing serious to flip out over.
Front bumper too low scrapes curbs - you must have missed the 4DSC marketing, even thought it's not a true sports car, however marketed that way and looks that way the body was designed to look like a sports car, sports cars ARE LOW TO THE GROUND genius..... /facepalm
Steering wheel radio controls stick out too far and accidentally hit them and change channels frequently - not nissans fault you have sausage fingers because no one i know has this issue and i know a lot of locals with this car, and my family has several between us all... sounds like an operator issue again and something that would have been noticed on a test drive.. this is why people test drive stuff.........../sigh
Drivers Seat uncomfortable. - did you test drive it... again something you should have noticed...everyone has different comfort levels and why you drive a test a car before you buy to make sure you are comfortable in it...
Leather on sides of seats, mid back seat and headrests not real - cant really comment on this i love the way my seats look and don't notice the difference, however i sit in it not look at it. and always keep it clean and shiny....
Can't fix headliner rattle after two times - tech must be a moron, i've heard of this before, pull the open/close switch to the sunroof and spray a expanding foam sealer... stops the rattle every time flawlessly.............
Dash computer controls not visibly accessible, have to take eyes off road to use - mine are just fine and accessible and i don't need to look at them to touch them..keep driving and feel to the left of the steering wheel on the dash... duhhh..... why look when you know where they are....
Seat warmer buttons in hard to view location - did you get seat warmers to look at them....???? they are infront of shifter i can hit them on and off while driving and not even look... you clearly don't know your car that well... if it were me i'd like to know every stich on something i spent close to 40 grand on... and i do....
Electric outlets in bottom of arm rest and have to empty out consoles to use. - spend 10 bucks on a car charger for your phone or whatever, as i did, plug it in and LEAVE IT THERE... surprise don't have to pull stuff any more its already plugged in... and if you have multiple things, well buy a splitter (two way or three way) plug your stuff in and LEAVE IT... once again a simple solution that you would rather complain about.... as a matter of fact i sold cars for a while...............almost all passenger cars have plugs in the arm rest...
Ipod and av jacks in bottom of closed console and need to empty console to access - only one thing can plug into the ipod jack so leave it lugged in on that end instead of b****ing like a little girl.....and why are you using your car like a storage closet any way, i have like 4 things in there, cuz it's a car and it goes from point A to point B.. i only need so much to go from here to here, everything else ...........fits in a suit case or bag if you need more and travel a lot, in which case you should probably have a suit case anyway.
Car gets filthy in light rain because mud flaps are fake and are small chip guards - you are repeating yourself cuz you already said this but wash it, or pay you kids allowance to wash it, or take it through a 5 minute car wash, either way it's easily solved and doesn't take but a few minutes that anyone can fit it on their way home or whatever, i keep mine clean anyway so i don't ever notice how dirty it may get... it's speed waxed nearly daily...
Programing Bluetooth by voice is impossible because it scans by name at letter A and runs slow - uhhhhhhhhh programing by voice is easy, but if you took the time to learn your car, you don't need to program it, i sync my phone up with bluetooth, and say a name and my phone calls it... no programming needed.... just something else to complain about...
Cant scan it by alphabet - dont' need to.....
Front Seatbelt clips bounce off side cowl scratching it - why are you throwing it... lol mines never bounced off... you own a semi expensive car... pay attention to what you are doing....
Brake pedal is half size of regular one - SPORTS CAR THEME REMEMBER..........
Doors close on you if not open all the way even on flat ground - never heard of this might be something to check at with the hinges... maybe....
No option to lower radio when answering bluetooth phone, therefore when ending call radio blasts creating a significant driver disturbance. - WOW really... as soon as a call comes in and its ringing the radio is turned off, and stays off while i talk, and the car can't possible play radio and use the same system for the phone at the exact same time..... you are doing something wrong.... because not only is it an option... it does it automatically.... mine does, my moms does, my step dad, my co worker, my friends dad, and couple friends... so that's what...like 10 to 1 works .......
Tech display is off on Radio display by avg. MPG. IE. Read 22.7 Avg MPG and at refueling tank took 17.665 gallons and B trip gauge that I reset every refill read 366 miles. That equals 20.7. This has been consistent for three months of tracking. - i think i can actually agree with you on one issue that there actually isn't a simple fix for....!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steering loose out of hard right turns. - it's a front engine FWD car, any hard cornering is gonna be strange feeling past it's abilities... get a G35/37 if it's an issue, once again something you should have picked up on the TEST DRIVE
Gear shift **** lever has a recess in it that catches the skin on your finger - i didn't feel a thing just have them replace the ****...
Cannot independently lift the windshield wipers. The Drivers side must be lifted first then the passenger side.
This makes it very difficult when removing ice or cleaning the windshield. Have to keep walking around the front of car. - hey genius, clean the drivers side, then walk and do the passenger... in order... wow see problem solved... ps: my 5 year old told me this... she figured it out... anyway, then once it's all clean put down the passenger and back to the driver side... easy and only one trip around the car.
Taillights fill up with moisture and Nissan says that’s normal. - nissan rep was an idiot just have them replace the lights, or re seal them, the rubber bulb seal is either improperly seated or the housing glue got manufactured wrong, this can hapen to any manufacturer just one bad apple out of a bunch, don't make a big deal out of it cuz i've seen it on ALLLLL CARS in my years of automotive experience...
Nisssan customer service reps are scripted and monkeys would do better. - wooooh ooooo second thing i 100% agree with you on.. that's 2 out of what ...ahhh heck. i lost count...

sorry not to throw anyone under the bus or anything and hopefully you are a grown man and can take critisism but i despise people that B***h and complain and cry like girls over simple things that can be corrected and fixed by taking better car of your car, doing more research before buying, and most importantly TEST DRIVING BEFORE BUYING..... and some of the stuff... well.... you can't fix stupid, ei, reps....but most of everything here is fixable without aggrivation after you actually know how to operate your car... i've never heard so much negative and i sold hundreds of these things, and like 15 people i know personnally ....
Old 06-21-2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
I nominate this thread as the trolling thread of the year.
Could not agree more hahahahaha
Old 06-21-2012, 03:45 PM

My car is 2 years old and I don't have any chips or scratches where these "mudflaps" that u speak of would be. So it seems stupid to put those on my car. And I live in AZ. Mud, and rain are the least of my concerns. U should invent a 'dustflap' for me. And my Max has the rock guards btw. Screw ur mudflaps! Lol
I actually misspoke, they are not called mudflaps, but splash guards. The splash guards offered OEM for the Maxima, SUCK *****!!! They do nothing to protect the car from rocks or chips, as they lie COMPLETELY FLAT against the body of the car, which act really like an addition piece of body panel. Take a look at the OEM splash guards being offered on the 2013 Altima. They are what I'm talking about, something that extends a little further beyond the wheel, down toward the ground. In that construction they actually protect the car and are color keyed so you don't notice them.

I don't believe for a second you don't have marks or scratches on your Maxima. I believe its all a bunch of bull**** you concocked, as NO car is immune from these as it ages, but there are thing the automakers can do to reduce the amount you can get.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:49 PM

Actually, if you looked, I only picked out a couple of things the OP was ranting about that I agreed with, 85% of what he listed is all bull**** that any car could have an issue with, or develop an issue with, no matter what automaker. Next time pay attention!
Old 06-21-2012, 04:15 PM

this thread started out stupid, but has turned into all kinds of awesome
Old 06-21-2012, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
this thread started out stupid, but has turned into all kinds of awesome
I try, lol! Anyway, I've been reading all kinds of reviews on the 2013 Altima and let me saTy, most of them had said in some form during the review, "The Altima has improved so much and really has a touch of ELLPS, what really is the point of the Maxima, now more than ever?"

I think Nissan has really kicked themselves in the butt, just like they did back in 2002 with the 3G Altima and 6G Maxima. I don't see how Altima sales can't take some away from the Maxima now. In fact, I think the Altima interior is now better overall in appearance than the Maxima and even offers somethings you can't get on the Maxima, at a cheaper price.

Nissan better get back to making the 8G Maxima really stand out and a true Flagship, 4 DSC sports sedan, if they truly want to increase Maxima sales and make it stand out from the 5G Altima. I don't see how they can do a 6 yr design cycle on the Maxima and hopefully will do a 5 yr and come out with bang for the Maxima. Thats my two cents.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:46 PM

I try, lol! Anyway, I've been reading all kinds of reviews on the 2013 Altima and let me saTy, most of them had said in some form during the review, "The Altima has improved so much and really has a touch of ELLPS, what really is the point of the Maxima, now more than ever?"

I think Nissan has really kicked themselves in the butt, just like they did back in 2002 with the 3G Altima and 6G Maxima. I don't see how Altima sales can't take some away from the Maxima now. In fact, I think the Altima interior is now better overall in appearance than the Maxima and even offers somethings you can't get on the Maxima, at a cheaper price.
This is with a lot of brands not just Nissan. The new gen, mid-model is redesigned and the older, top of the line model doesn't seem worth the price difference anymore. It's not a big deal to me. Technology changes soo fast these days. When you get a new phone, 3 months later, the phone you just bought is outdated. In a way, what they did was smart because it keeps the enthusiast anticipating what they plan on doing with future models instead of holding back on the Altima just because it's a lower priced car.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:26 AM

Nissan better get back to making the 8G Maxima really stand out and a true Flagship, 4 DSC sports sedan, if they truly want to increase Maxima sales and make it stand out from the 5G Altima. I don't see how they can do a 6 yr design cycle on the Maxima and hopefully will do a 5 yr and come out with bang for the Maxima. Thats my two cents.
You realize a top of the line Altima is now around $35-36k right? My take on it is either A) It will push the price of the new Maximas and Infinitis higher if they expect the prices of everything to keep going up by 2015, or B) Just like you said about the Altima, they will have a few little extra features that you can only get in the Maxima to justify spending the $5-6k more for the car.

I do agree that the new Altima is really nice. The dealership around my way had one a couple weeks ago and I snagged some pics. I can post them if people haven't seen it yet.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:41 AM

I'm really enjoying people picking apart the OP's post line by line, any other takers?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:19 AM

Chicken Butt!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:54 PM

This is with a lot of brands not just Nissan. The new gen, mid-model is redesigned and the older, top of the line model doesn't seem worth the price difference anymore. It's not a big deal to me. Technology changes soo fast these days. When you get a new phone, 3 months later, the phone you just bought is outdated. In a way, what they did was smart because it keeps the enthusiast anticipating what they plan on doing with future models instead of holding back on the Altima just because it's a lower priced car.

Very true. Having been buying cars since 1949, I have seen this play out with many different manufacturers more times than I can count. Every time the Altima has a new improved generation, the Maxima 'no longer has a purpose.'

This brings back memories of the erroneous New York newspaper report of Mark Twain's death. Twain's response was 'Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.'

And, although Nissan perhaps did stray too far to the 'luxury' side with the 6th generation Maxima, the fact remains that over 132,000 2004 6th gen Maximas were sold.

Also somehow overlooked is the fact the majority of new generation Altima buyers will be purchasing the 2.5, which is not even close to the same class (or price) as the Maxima. The reason the 3.5 Altima does not sell nearly as well as the 2.5 is because, for the 3.5 Altima price tag (now clearly over $30K), we can have a Maxima, and I feel a shined and polished 7th gen Maxima still has more advanced styling and more 'street image' than the new Altima.

We also should remember that the Maxima is not into the 'sales leader' race. Nissan only plans to sell around 70K Maximas, which is their upscale flagship vehicle, and not intended to be 'one of a thousand in every parking lot', like the Altima. But they hope to sell at least 250,000 Altimas (their 'everyman's car'), and would love to sell as many as possible.

And the final nail? By this time next summer, the boards will be alive with all kinds of rumors of what the 2015 8th generation Maxima will be like when it debuts around nine or ten months later (spring 2014). At that point, real 'car folks' will not be buying the 3.5 Altima until they know exactly what the 8th gen Maxima will be like. We can already surmise it will, as usual, clearly surpass the then older Altima design.

I will assure everyone here that reports of the Maxima's death are greatly exaggerated.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:41 PM

I think Nissan has really kicked themselves in the butt, just like they did back in 2002 with the 3G Altima and 6G Maxima.
Differences was in 02 when the 3G Altima came out when the 5.5 Gen debuted in 02 where the following. The 5.5 Gen's production was intentionally cut from 120K unit a a year to 90k a year in anticipation of the then new 3.5 Altima, the 5.5 Gen's interior was head and shoulders better than the Alti in design and materials used and much better than the 6th gens which was criticized alot for the degression. 5.5 gens had features that weren't available on the top line Alti at the time including Memory seats, auto entry/exit, heated steering wheel, etc etc.....This time around the differences are not there as much as you stated.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:46 PM

In response to what do I like about the car here you go:

Styling is probably the best looking car on the road.
Engine Power is tremedous.
CVT transmission, seen a lot of negative but I do like it.
Key fob system is great.

Within two weeks of purchase, Goodyear gave full credit on RSA's towards Comfort Treads, they are much better tires. Loose some cornering though. Goodyear Corprate cleary was concerned that Nissan was putting these tires on and marketing them as an All Season tires. They do not feel that this tire is the right coice for the car, certainly not for snow use eventhough rated that way. That is why they gave full credit towards the Comfort Treads.

Mud Flaps, Splash gaurds explanation a color coded contoured unit not something cheap looking or rubber. At least offer it as an option. Was not what I expected when all that showed up were the stone chip guards providing no protection from rock chips on the side of the car.

Regarding other concerns. Not one of the issues listed are a problem on my Honda Pilot which I purchased brand new in 2009. The seat are all leather. The Nissan sales people should tell when selling the car that the seats are only appointed leather, not full leather.

The radio still comes on full blast when turning off a phone call, am I alone with this?

The steering wheel radio controls get hit because they protrude out, why not make them flush like other manufacturers do.

As far as being short, nope. As far as the brake pedal guess none of you that responded to this line have ever been trained to drive in a law enforcement capacity. I was and that is by using two feet. Regarding the Torque steer, had no clue about it until I was entering a highway and accelerated. Pretty dangerous if you did not expect it.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Differences was in 02 when the 3G Altima came out when the 5.5 Gen debuted in 02 where the following. The 5.5 Gen's production was intentionally cut from 120K unit a a year to 90k a year in anticipation of the then new 3.5 Altima, the 5.5 Gen's interior was head and shoulders better than the Alti in design and materials used and much better than the 6th gens which was criticized alot for the degression. 5.5 gens had features that weren't available on the top line Alti at the time including Memory seats, auto entry/exit, heated steering wheel, etc etc.....This time around the differences are not there as much as you stated.
I think you contradicted yourself by the end but regardless, your right, until the 8G Max comes out, there is not that much differences between a 3.5SL Altima compared to the 7G Maxima. I mean what are you going to pay a few thousand dollars more for, 20 more hp, a power rear sunshade, and a dual panel moonroof?

I'm not saying the 7G Maxima is not going to continue to sell well, but this new Altima is going to take some sales away from the Maxima, until the next Gen comes out.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:41 PM

Guys I have a 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD with the Tech Package and 18" wheels. The wife hates the car because she thinks it's too big and the leather seats are uncomfortable and hurt her back. And this guy's comes up with a list that long with things he doesn't like about his Maxima.
I'm actually seriously considering trading in the TL to get a 2012 Maxima S with the Limited Edition Package because my wife actually likes the Max better. I just don't understand why this guy would hate the car that much.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:55 AM

one word to describe the OP's thread.

TROLLING

this guy probably doesnt even drive a 7th gen. i know most of you are seriously trying to be helpful and insightful, but experience tells me that this guy is trolling, aiming to **** off max owners. for all we know he could be a civic ricer type, with a vendetta against all other rival cars lol. i see so much hate from noobs on other forums who join just to **** people off with flame posts.

these people have absolutely no life at all, right?

all BS aside, if OP is serious and is a max owner, why the f**k did he buy the car, eh?

Quick Reply: Why I hate my 2012 Maxima SV