7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Is it worth calling Insurance over this?/Where can I buy replacement parts

Old 01-18-2019, 11:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is it worth calling Insurance over this?/Where can I buy replacement parts

So I was driving back home from the gym and a deer popped out out of nowhere on the highway and I managed to swerve to the point where it only hit my left side. There is a small crack on the bottom of the bumper on the left and my left light shield/case? was shattered. The lowbeam does not work on the left side but high beam still does. Other than that there has not been really any other damage that I saw. I have full coverage under Geico and live in WV. The car is a Nissan Maxima SV 2010 with premium and tech package. One of my buddies is telling me that it isn't worth calling Insurance but I am thinking I should. Any advice? What parts should I replace and where is a good place to get replacement parts at a good price? Thanks

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/UVbD4FP

Old 01-19-2019, 06:42 AM

Completely depends on you and what you want to do. How much is your deductible? My deductible is $250 so I would file a claim even if someone looked at me the wrong way lmao.

It looks like your gonna need a new bumper and headlight,can’t see any other damage bedsides that. Now do you feel like looking for a color matched bumper? When you find one,do YOU feel like taking the old one off,taking off all the parts from the one and transferring them to the new one (fog lights bumper clips,plate bracket). Then the new headlight. The headlight is easy to do once the bumper is off but again,depends on how you want to do it and how much time you have.

At least your ok and family is ok. End of the day,that’s all that matters
Old 01-19-2019, 08:12 AM

Unless you have a $1000 dollar deductible I'd get it fixed thru my insurance. Those headlights are expensive.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:19 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, reporting bumper repair/change make car title/history as salvage/rebuilt? if so, I wouldn't be eager to report.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
Correct me if I'm wrong, reporting bumper repair/change make car title/history as salvage/rebuilt? if so, I wouldn't be eager to report.

Not at all. Only way it would be a salvage title is if the car was totaled out. The damage he has is far from a total loss.
The only thing that will happen is when the car fax is checked it will show 1 minor accident to the front left side.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Martinez1031

Not at all. Only way it would be a salvage title is if the car was totaled out. The damage he has is far from a total loss.
The only thing that will happen is when the car fax is checked it will show 1 minor accident to the front left side.
Thanks for the info. Good to know.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:23 PM

Completely up to your discretion, of course. Deductible plays a big part. You probably have ~$1500 in visible damage...could be something cracked/broken in the underlying support structure, too. Keep in mind though that EVERY claim you make essentially "hurts" you by going on your record. The insurance companies all use underwriters to protect themselves, and these underwriters are VERY aggressive in assessing whether or not you present a financial risk to them. So while turning in this accident may not affect your rates, it will definitely draw a target on your back.
Did you make a police report? Here in Kansas one has to file a police report on ANY incident where the damage is over $500, or face prosecution. Sucks big time.