7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

bluetooth phonecall quality

Old 12-19-2012, 01:33 AM

bluetooth phonecall quality

when i us emy bt to make phone calls they hear me fine but i do not hear them to well, audio is echo-y and muffled , any suggestions? im also trying to figure out how to stream pandora via my bt, i do not have nav, is it possible?
its a 2012
Old 12-19-2012, 12:17 PM

BT phone clarity is fine on my 2010. I have the stock Bose speakers.

Do all 2012's (S/SV) come with Bose?
Old 12-19-2012, 12:20 PM

eah its ok...not as crisp as it should be, but beats having the phone in your hands
Old 12-19-2012, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by eesjunin
eah its ok...not as crisp as it should be, but beats having the phone in your hands
Agreed. Sometimes it'll cut out..or it'll be difficult to hear at times so my friends say..but anything is better than getting a ticket.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:36 PM

Mine is mediocre at best. I had a 2009 F150 with sync and the bluetooth on it worked amazingly clear. I have had a few complaints with the maxima and the sound inside isn't as clear either. Like stated above its a little muffled.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:47 AM

Mine works really well with my iphone 4s. use siri through bt to control the phone. audio quality is superb. occasionaly there is a tiny bit of static but 95% of the time it works great. 2010 sv premium
Old 12-21-2012, 01:25 AM

im not convinced, for a 30k+ car this shouldn't be a mediocre
i need to crank the volume all the way up to hear the ohter person , this sucks
Old 12-21-2012, 03:13 AM

Make sure the volume on your phone is turned up too. Happened to me this morning, had the phone turned down from a loud relative calling.

Also, I've noticed that when I talk BT to BT,car to car, that's the only time it does not sound excellent.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:23 PM

I have noticed on the Iphone5, that when I get in and out of the car people have complaints that they can't hear. Some connection issues with which speakers to use ( my car, headphones, etc.)
Old 12-27-2012, 05:39 AM

My BT works fine for me. I think some of the problems is on the other end, some of these new phones really sux. or the providers dont care how the reception is as long as they get that money or contract.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:33 AM

Ya, it takes a little figuring out which volume to turn up and which source to have it in and bla bla bla, but it works really well once you have it figured out. (And all your windows are up.)
Old 09-05-2013, 06:57 AM

I am a phone/tech junkie and have to agree that Bluetooth on my '10 Maxima (with Nav/Tech) is mediocre at best. I always get the "you sound muffled" complaint. I have tried multiple Android phones that run on Android 4.12, 4.2 and 4.3 -- all are similar in call quality.

I also know the problem isn't on the other caller's end because the call quality magically improves once I switch to Handset Audio or Speakerphone.

Does anyone know if there is a Bluetooth Audio dongle that one can hook upto other car inputs? Maybe a workaround is that we route bluetooth calls to a third-party dongle instead of going trhough the car.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:08 AM

My son suggested that I turn my phones volume to half way up and then adjust my stereo volume as well if the person I was talking to could'nt hear me. It seems to work better for me doing it that way. I normally kept my phones volume maxed out.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Maxgig
My son suggested that I turn my phones volume to half way up and then adjust my stereo volume as well if the person I was talking to could'nt hear me. It seems to work better for me doing it that way. I normally kept my phones volume maxed out.
That's what I do. It works better in my opinion. I don't have any issues with the audio however. It sounds clear to me. I test drove an Acura TL and BMW 535 before deciding to go with this car and the Bluetooth on the Acura was poo. The BMW was on par with the Maxima so I don't think it's a matter of anything but the fact that this is how Bluetooth sounds. Maybe with a more updated version of Bluetooth, it may improve.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
That's what I do. It works better in my opinion. I don't have any issues with the audio however. It sounds clear to me. I test drove an Acura TL and BMW 535 before deciding to go with this car and the Bluetooth on the Acura was poo. The BMW was on par with the Maxima so I don't think it's a matter of anything but the fact that this is how Bluetooth sounds. Maybe with a more updated version of Bluetooth, it may improve.
Interesting, I never thought of that. I do keep the phone's volume maxed out. I'll have to try lowering the phone call volume while on Bluetooth... thanks for the suggestion!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:59 AM

The quality in my 2010 is poor also. I just put the phone on speaker when i need to be hands free.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:36 PM

2010 SV Premium & iPhone 4S blue tooth works beautifully. Love being able to use Siri and not having to use Nissans interface.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:45 PM

BT is pretty good 2012 s using a Note 2
Old 09-05-2013, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by smooth703
BT is pretty good 2012 s using a Note 2
+1 using an iPhone
Old 09-06-2013, 12:31 PM

I have a 2009 Maxima and I'm very dissatisfied with the bluetooth. The callers on the other end always say Im muffled and they cant understand me. I think also that the speaker on the max is Half-duplex instead of Full-Duplex meaning when two people are talking at the same time it cancels out the voice and the person on the other end hears nothing. Thats not how natural conversation flows where you have to wait 2 seconds for a pause before you start speaking.

I wanted to look into replacing the bluetooth with an aftermarket system but I can't find one! It's so frustrating to have built into your car and its terrible! I've been in other peoples cars who have bluetooth built in and it works the way it's supposed to so I know there is a problem with the Max.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by MK33
I have a 2009 Maxima and I'm very dissatisfied with the bluetooth. The callers on the other end always say Im muffled and they cant understand me. I think also that the speaker on the max is Half-duplex instead of Full-Duplex meaning when two people are talking at the same time it cancels out the voice and the person on the other end hears nothing. Thats not how natural conversation flows where you have to wait 2 seconds for a pause before you start speaking.

I wanted to look into replacing the bluetooth with an aftermarket system but I can't find one! It's so frustrating to have built into your car and its terrible! I've been in other peoples cars who have bluetooth built in and it works the way it's supposed to so I know there is a problem with the Max.
I wonder if that's what my issue lately has been. I almost never use it anymore because it works for the first 10-20 seconds fine and then they start saying "hello? Hello? Still there?" until I pick up my phone and switch the source back to the actual phone. I really should get it figured out soon because I'm at 35,200 miles. Maybe it's an issue that could be warrantied? Maybe not.

Is there anyone here who uses the car's Bluetooth for phone calls and has no issues at all?

Side note, my Bluetooth audio streaming also gets messed up every once in a while and "skips". I know it's not actually skipping, but it sounds exactly like that. The music pauses, and then you hear a 1/10 second sound clip before another pause for 1-2 seconds, then another 1/10 second blip, over and over and over till 30 seconds later it resumes playing normally. Ideas?
Old 09-06-2013, 02:56 PM

I've had my 2010 S for a few weeks now and I use the iphone 5. Mine seems to be working fine, the only complaints I heard was when the wife and I was both in the car talking to my brother (my iphone connected) and he said that I sounded normal but when the wife started talking her voice had an echo to it. I guess this has something to do with the microphone placement?
Wife has the Samsung Galaxy4 and when she called me the other night I could tell the difference between her taking through the vehicles bluetooth and actually using her mobile device. Through the vehicle bluetooth she slightly had a hollow sound but I still plainly understood what she was saying. After reading above about turning the phone's volume down , we will give that a try and see if it makes a difference.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Serpent
I wonder if that's what my issue lately has been. I almost never use it anymore because it works for the first 10-20 seconds fine and then they start saying "hello? Hello? Still there?" until I pick up my phone and switch the source back to the actual phone. I really should get it figured out soon because I'm at 35,200 miles. Maybe it's an issue that could be warrantied? Maybe not.

Is there anyone here who uses the car's Bluetooth for phone calls and has no issues at all?

Side note, my Bluetooth audio streaming also gets messed up every once in a while and "skips". I know it's not actually skipping, but it sounds exactly like that. The music pauses, and then you hear a 1/10 second sound clip before another pause for 1-2 seconds, then another 1/10 second blip, over and over and over till 30 seconds later it resumes playing normally. Ideas?
I'm experiencing the same exact problem as both you and MK33 & it is extremely frustrating. At first, literally first 10-20 seconds all is good then they complain i'm very muffled sounding & can barely hear me until I switch it back to my iPhone then they hear me great.

I would really enjoy this feature, a shame it doesn't work correctly. BTW, anyone know where the mic is for the BT?
Old 09-10-2013, 01:08 PM

Mic is where sunroof control is I believe
Old 09-10-2013, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by JD-MAX
I would really enjoy this feature, a shame it doesn't work correctly. BTW, anyone know where the mic is for the BT?
All the owners manual says is that it's overhead.

I'm pretty sure Tommy is right though, there are two openings next to the light switches. I think that's where the mic is.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:06 PM

I'm experiencing the same exact problem as both you and MK33 & it is extremely frustrating. At first, literally first 10-20 seconds all is good then they complain i'm very muffled sounding & can barely hear me until I switch it back to my iPhone then they hear me great.

Well, I'm taking my car to the dealership tomorrow morning. I have less than 500 miles till my bumper-to-bumper ends, so I might as well see if I can get it fixed. I'll report the findings.

While there also gonna have them look at the vibrating passenger seat (shakes at highway speeds). Any other things you guys suggest I have double-checked before warranty expires?
Old 09-10-2013, 05:33 PM

Worst bluetooth connection ever on the Nokia Lumia 920. Constant cracking and poping.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:03 PM

works flawlessly

2010 Prem/Tech. works like a champ, both talking and listening. Samsung SIII. Could not ask for anything better.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:07 PM

Yup, Tommy is right I looked it up in the manual. Unfortunately I am out of warranty but definitely curious as if the dealer fixes yours Serpent.

I also called Nissan today and they said to be sure to check the adjustment setting for phone and make sure your outgoing volume isn't up more than 1 or 2 clicks. That's for a system with navigation.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:57 AM

Yup, Tommy is right I looked it up in the manual. Unfortunately I am out of warranty but definitely curious as if the dealer fixes yours Serpent.

I also called Nissan today and they said to be sure to check the adjustment setting for phone and make sure your outgoing volume isn't up more than 1 or 2 clicks. That's for a system with navigation.
Well, we'll see what happens. Dropped the car off with them this morning to have them check a few things out. Checking the phone (which conveniently wouldn't reproduce the problem when I was calling the service writer to demonstrate the issue), checking passenger seat vibration at highway seats, and I'm having em advance my timing too just for the hell of it.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:00 AM

mines fine with my iPhone 5 and I had a iPhone 4 before and it was fine also
Old 09-11-2013, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Serpent
Well, we'll see what happens. Dropped the car off with them this morning to have them check a few things out. Checking the phone (which conveniently wouldn't reproduce the problem when I was calling the service writer to demonstrate the issue), checking passenger seat vibration at highway seats, and I'm having em advance my timing too just for the hell of it.
Of course you couldn't reproduce the problem once your there lol. I noticed it's worse when I'm driving vs just sitting in the car at idle. Well hopefully they'll get you straightened out. Keep us posted!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
Originally Posted by Comp625
Interesting, I never thought of that. I do keep the phone's volume maxed out. I'll have to try lowering the phone call volume while on Bluetooth... thanks for the suggestion!
I can confirm that after several days of use, this "fix" has DRASTICALLY improved my Bluetooth Call Quality. To clarify, I turn down my handset's volume to about 50% and I crank the car's Bluetooth volume to about 75%.

That said, I still don't fully trust Bluetooth in my '10 Maxima but I will continue to monitor/evaluate the call quality.

For reference, I am using a Samsung Galaxy S3.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Comp625
I can confirm that after several days of use, this "fix" has DRASTICALLY improved my Bluetooth Call Quality. To clarify, I turn down my handset's volume to about 50% and I crank the car's Bluetooth volume to about 75%.

That said, I still don't fully trust Bluetooth in my '10 Maxima but I will continue to monitor/evaluate the call quality.

For reference, I am using a Samsung Galaxy S3.
I'm assuming you were originally havng more of a problem with hearing the speaker on the other end? Versus them having difficulty hearing you?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:14 PM

A few things mess with sound quality of bt calls. First of all, the faster you go, the more white noise is produced. Most people don't have an issue with the volume of this noise, but microphones pick it up. Second, how far away you sit from the mic is an issue too - shorter people are closer to the mic than taller people are/ Third, not all BT is created equal. Some phones have excellent bt quality and other don't. I remember when I switched to an iPhone from another phone with BT, using the same BT earpiece, the quality of call on both ends improved. Fourth, whether the car is an Infiniti, BMW, or Nissan, you have to speak up a bit to be heard, especially if the car is moving. I call my partner all the time from my Max to his BMW and the sound quality isn't great. Part of it is his system and part is mine.
BT isn't perfect. Talking on a BT headset isn't great shakes either - I've bought expensive, top of the line BT headsets before and never thought the sound quality was ever as good as even the cheap wired headsets.
Make sure your windows and sunroof are closed and if you can, slow down a bit. Make sure to speak up - the mic is a few feet away. If the call is that important that you need to hear every word and be heard perfectly, pull over and put the handset to your ear. Then the only issue is your crappy cell signal! ;-)
Old 09-11-2013, 12:24 PM

I agree completely! Still doesn't cover what's happening with my calls though. I'm okay with lower quality audio, it's NO audio that becomes an issue. Lol

Dealer just called, said the tech can't reproduce the issue. I'm starting to wonder if maybe there's an issue with switching between sources (either on the cars end OR the iPhones end). 95% of the time I'm not placing the call, I'm receiving it. And I'm almost always streaming music from my iPhone when the phone call comes in. I wonder if it would be different if I just had it on the radio. Or even if all music was off. Maybe something is getting jammed up when both car and phone were doing one thing and then have to simultaneously switch to the call. Any geeks on here that know a thing or two about what I'm trying to get at? Am I way off, or does that sound like a possibility?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:55 PM

I'm assuming you were originally havng more of a problem with hearing the speaker on the other end? Versus them having difficulty hearing you?
No, I can typically hear the other callers with no problems. However, I always get the "you sound muffled" or "garbled" complaint. I have tried multiple Android phones that run on Android 4.12, 4.2 and 4.3 -- all are similar in BT call quality.

I also know the problem isn't on the other caller's end because the call quality magically improves once I switch to Handset Audio or Speakerphone.

My guess is that the handset volume is linked to the handset/BT's mic level, and that it was too high for the Maxima's physical mic (located near the dome lights). Because the overall mic level was too high, it picked up too much white noise causing the garbled audio quality.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:01 PM

I've been watching this thread for awhile now, a few points I'd like to add, question I have for anyone to take a shot at....

I have a '12 Base S model. Really the only features I have is BT, quite exciting lol. Anyways, my sound quality both receiving and sending is fine. I do crank my radio volume up to about 25 non-Bose system. The only issue I experienced once was when continuing a call while shutting off my car and leaving it the sound quality on my handset was severely muted, to a point I had to hang up the call. I use an iPhone 4gs. Since then I've never had the issue.

Some have complained about the person on the other line saying we sound muffled. If you actually take a close look at the microphone there is some padding around the microphone, easily visible and perhaps one of many factors that contribute to a muffled sound for the person on the other end.

Stupid story, but I remember my father installing a hands free set in our old '90 Max and my aunt saying we sounded like we were in a tin can. Lol anyways...

Each phone, iPhone, android, windows, blackberry....these all run off different protocols. Meaning the audio needs to be formatted in a universal way to be accepted by a broad range of users using different devices. This in my opinion directly impacts sound/call quality. when your watching a video from your phone it's formatted for that device and screen size, I'm not an engineer but its rather difficult to put that functionality into a BT system, or quite frankly it's not worth the effort from the manufacturer.

I dunno if this makes sense for everyone or is even related, but my limited background in technology and mobile streaming leads me to this assumption.

Moving on to my question, the dealership told me since I have a base S, I can't upload my phone book, rather I need to manually Add each entry.

Is that true for anyone else with an S non-Bose/navigation model...?

Ok..that is all

Last edited by Boslax6123; 09-11-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:16 PM

Well like I said before, I'm pretty sure this is not an issue with "bluetooth not being such a great technology" because I've been in other peoples cars while they were on their bluetooth and everything was normal. The person on the other end didnt even know we were on bluetooth where as with me I feel either the person on the other end is always telling me Im muffled or can't hear me and if they are not saying anything then they probably are just accepting my horrible quality and going with the flow as best as they can. There is bluetooth out there that works great....My bluetooth in my Maxima unfortunately is not one of them.

I will try the lowering the volume trick and see what happens but my I have low hopes.