7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow accumulation in mags..

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Snow accumulation in mags..

Any thoughts from people in snow country? I had this problem with my '04 SE, now exactly the same thing with my '10 SV. We had over a foot of snow up where I live during the week and although the traction control and my brand new Hankook winters are doing great playing in the snow, there is a huge build-up of snow in the mags by the time I get home... right combination of depth and temp.

I guess the wheels are sort of warm from the brakes and so it tends to melt a bit, but when left overnight what I get is a block of ice that can't be easily removed by hand. I can't really get my hand in there anyways and so maybe a few feeble attempts with the snow brush, but its lodged in there real good ... All fine under 50 mph but at highway 60-65 thats when things really start to shake.

I had previously posted on a different thread re: stalling in a car wash 2 weeks ago ... thats why I needed that car wash. just trying to melt away that caked ice build up.

I'd love to get steel wheels with cheesy platic hubcaps like everyone else does out here during winter, but as with my '04, they just don't seem to have 18" steel for R45 performance tires. So I guess for next winter I'll try to spring for "winter" mags ... maybe a 5-spoke design that has a larger clearance to run my hand through when it clogs up. Even at 60 mph it just doesn't centrifuge off ... actually seems to compact even harder against the wheel. I've had to pull over on the highway in my '04 a few times and "floss". What a pain...
Old 02-25-2013, 09:16 AM

You are right...i had the same issue with my benzo...and now with the max as well.. and you are right might as well get the std steel wheels
it is a PITA!
Old 02-25-2013, 09:55 AM

Be mindful you don't lose any balancing weights, whether cleaning or driving with melted on ice.

Our Rav4 18s would always go out of balance from ice and snow getting behind the wheel.

We have tire pressure sensors so now maybe its time from wheel warmers. Not enough snow since I got the max to see how well it does.