7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
View Poll Results: Do or have you had an engine knock in park at warm idle on your 2009-13 Maxima
No, my 7th generation has more than 5,000 miles and no engine noise
65.13%
Possibly but it hasn't been diagnosed by Nissan yet
12.61%
Yes and my Short Block was replaced
2.94%
Yes and I had the bearing replaced per the TSB
6.30%
Yes and I have yet to take action
13.03%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Buyer Beware, 2009 - 2013 Factory Bearing Problems

Old 10-05-2013, 06:43 PM

Buyer Beware, 2009 - 2013 Factory Bearing Problems

After all the good luck I have had with Maxima's over the years I can't believe I am writing this.

I found out today that my 2013 Max with 3800 softly driven mile over the past 7 months has to have the number 1 main bearing replaced.

TSB NTB12-071 covers this for 2009 to current Maxima's yet they are still coming out of the factory this way.

The TSB call for using a slightly larger bearing so I'm guessing the clearance is wrong. How many additional problems will ripping apart my motor cause in the future ?

I can almost guarantee my car was like this from new as you won't notice it when the car is idling cold or when you are driving. I usually put my car in park and turn it off like most people do. I only noticed it one day because I had to return home and left the car running as I ran inside.

I urge all 7th generation owners to look for this as it should be under warranty for all under powertrain.

2009 – 2012 MAXIMA; ENGINE KNOCK FROM #1 MAIN BEARING

2009 – 2012 Maxima (A35)

No.1 Main Bearing Knock Noise Confirmation

Use the following criteria and symptoms to confirm the knock noise is coming from the No. 1 crankshaft main bearing.

Knock noise from No.1 main bearing is confirmed if all of the following symptoms exist:

Not heard at cold start.
• Can be heard at warm idle (not a cold start condition).
• Heard best from under the engine with the vehicle lifted.
• Using stethoscope, the knock can be isolated to the lower front of the engine (near the # 1 or # 2 main bearing).
• Cannot be heard driving at highway speeds.
• Cannot be heard sitting in the vehicle with the radio on.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:51 PM

Totally sucks....spending good money on a new car and having this happen can only make you feel bitter and inconvenienced to say the least.
So you get it fixed and move on.
I would strongly suggest you demand an extended warranty beyond the standard power train limit if at all possible.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:52 PM

"How many additional problems will ripping apart my motor cause in the future ?" That depends on the experience the mechanic(s) who does this job and other things. Since yours is so new I would wait it out as long as this job doesnt cause a serious domino effect keep it. You under the bumper - bumper so youre good for a few years.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:41 PM

I'll give this a look (listen) after driving to work in traffic Monday. The car should be nice and warm from the trip and the parking garage will amplify any knocking sounds if anyway.

I really haven't noticed any however. 33000 miles and counting, and I drive it nearly every day.

Thanks for the heads up and sorry to hear your max has the issue. I'm just glad your dealership will do something about it.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by zoemayne
"How many additional problems will ripping apart my motor cause in the future ?" That depends on the experience the mechanic(s) who does this job and other things. Since yours is so new I would wait it out as long as this job doesnt cause a serious domino effect keep it. You under the bumper - bumper so youre good for a few years.
Just the opposite IMO, if they mess anything else up it's covered for 28 months

The bearing should be covered under the 5/60 powertrain but good luck getting them to cover anything else related to the bearing replacement after the bumper to bumper expires.

I plan on contacting Nissan corp for an extended bumper to bumper at no charge

As far as the dealer fixing it, I walked in with the TSB in hand

Even though it's not mentioned in the TSB, mine only makes the noise in PArk and Neutral

Is there a way to download a file here, if not you can find the TSB below

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowl...html?catid=627

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 10-05-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:20 PM

My question is is this a problem or just noise. Extra clearance is not an issue as long the bearing is not getting damaged.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by robsmax
My question is is this a problem or just noise. Extra clearance is not an issue as long the bearing is not getting damaged.
I doubt Nissan is replacing it for just a noise or they would have tons of other TSB's for noises

Try explaining to a potential buyer your cars bearing knock is no big deal and see how the sale goes.

If a freshly built engine has unusually low oil pressure, it probably means there's too much clearance in the bearings. Only about .001 of extra clearance in the main bearings can reduce oil pressure up to 20 percent! Sloppy bearing clearances also create more oil splash inside the crankcase, which can overwhelm the rings and cause the engine to use oil. Too much bearing clearance will also increase engine noise and pounding, which will eventually lead to bearing fatigue and failure.

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 10-06-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:51 AM

Sorry if I'm a noob on this but what is engine knock? How loud of a knock is it? I ask because I do hear "bang bang bang" coming from the engine but I recall hearing that on all cars. It's like the sound of hot oil popping.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by mrcmtl
Sorry if I'm a noob on this but what is engine knock? How loud of a knock is it? I ask because I do hear "bang bang bang" coming from the engine but I recall hearing that on all cars. It's like the sound of hot oil popping.

If it makes the noise in park when the car is warm but not when cold it could be a bearing issue.

As I said earlier, I would have never noticed it if I didn't have to run back to the house and left the car runnning as I ran inside

I have never heard a normal "bang, bang, bang" noise coming from the engine on any car
Old 10-07-2013, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv
If it makes the noise in park when the car is warm but not when cold it could be a bearing issue.

As I said earlier, I would have never noticed it if I didn't have to run back to the house and left the car runnning as I ran inside

I have never heard a normal "bang, bang, bang" noise coming from the engine on any car
Well it's not as much a "bang bang bang", its more like "ting ting ting". It's the same sound as when you shut off the engine, and you listen to the car from outside.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was wondering about a light clack clack clack sound coming from mine lately. It sounds like a diesel at idle sometimes. All my other VQs were extremely quiet with only the sound of injectors in the past. I'll have to look more into the sound now.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by mrcmtl
Well it's not as much a "bang bang bang", its more like "ting ting ting". It's the same sound as when you shut off the engine, and you listen to the car from outside.
That's the catalytic converter
Old 10-07-2013, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Maximam
I was wondering about a light clack clack clack sound coming from mine lately. It sounds like a diesel at idle sometimes. All my other VQs were extremely quiet with only the sound of injectors in the past. I'll have to look more into the sound now.

Let me know if yours go way in Drive and Reverse, mine only makes the sound in Park and Neutral after it's warmed up
Old 10-08-2013, 01:29 PM

Update, rather than replacing the bearing Nissan told the dealr to put a new short block in, I'm assuming these new blocks have the proper bearing size.

I am going to ask for a free extended warranty, does anyone have an email at Nisaan corp I should use for that ?

The rattle in the dash is being caused by an incorrect windshield installation at the factory they are going to try to fit it correctly or order a new windshield.

So at 3800 miles my 2013 Max has now had the ebrake light that never worked fixed, same for a power outlet, the dash ripped apaart to partially fix rattles, the windhield reinstalled and/or replaced and a new short block...........WONDERFUL

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 10-08-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:13 PM

Update, rather than replacing the bearing Nissan told the dealr to put a new short block in, I'm assuming these new blocks have the proper bearing size.

I am going to ask for a free extended warranty, does anyone have an email at Nisaan corp I should use for that ?

The rattle in the dash is being caused by an incorrect windshield installation at the factory they are going to try to fit it correctly or order a new windshield.

So at 3800 miles my 2013 Max has now had the ebrake light that never worked fixed, same for a power outlet, the dash ripped apaart to partially fix rattles, the windhield reinstalled and/or replaced and a new short block...........WONDERFUL

Keep it up and you will have bought two cars for the price of one!
Old 10-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just went thru this myself. I have a 2012 Maxima S with 15,000 mile and they had to replace the short block because of cracks within the block behind the timing chain. You will need to call Nissan Consumer Affairs ( 800-343-6913) to report your case. Once completed make sure you get a case / claim number. Also you will need to advise your Nissan dealer ( The Service Manger) as to the steps your taking and that you want an extended warranty. Nissan Consumer Affairs will be working closely with them to make sure that your situation gets resolved. I currently have been working with them for over a month and was told last week that I will be getting Nissan's Gold Preferred extended warranty ( 7 yr / 100k / $ 0 Deductible Nissan best warranty). FYI - This warranty is non transferable
Old 10-08-2013, 05:44 PM

How long did it take for the replacement?
Old 10-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The entire process took about 8 working days - Nissan did provide a loaner.
As mentioned in other threads seems to be a larger problem than Nissan would admit. Previously I was at the dealership 3 times to complain about the coolant smell.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tuckert
I just went thru this myself. I have a 2012 Maxima S with 15,000 mile and they had to replace the short block because of cracks within the block behind the timing chain. You will need to call Nissan Consumer Affairs ( 800-343-6913) to report your case. Once completed make sure you get a case / claim number. Also you will need to advise your Nissan dealer ( The Service Manger) as to the steps your taking and that you want an extended warranty. Nissan Consumer Affairs will be working closely with them to make sure that your situation gets resolved. I currently have been working with them for over a month and was told last week that I will be getting Nissan's Gold Preferred extended warranty ( 7 yr / 100k / $ 0 Deductible Nissan best warranty). FYI - This warranty is non transferable

Thanks so much, I was willing to settle for a 2 year extension but just told them I want the gold.

Is that 7 years/100K beyond the factory 3/36 K ? Seems to cover jus baout everything but the battery , headlamps ( sucks because of the bumper having to come off to replace them) and brake pads

Thanks again

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 10-08-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes - It covers the entire car for 7 yrs / 100k from the original purchase date. You can download the warranty from the Nissan website. In your particular case along with the number of issues, I would request for a new car / replacement. Good luck & keep us posted.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:02 AM

This is what my car sounds like at a cold start

This is 10-15 minutes later after its warm

The Good news is, I just left my local Stealership service department and they were pretty good about everything. They want me to set up a time to drop it off ((Which I will probably do on a week long vacation so its not on my mind as much)
Old 10-09-2013, 08:09 AM
dc8

Thanks for the recordings.
My 2013 SV has 2500 miles but it only makes the normal sounds in the first recording.
Hopefully, it stays that way.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tuckert
Yes - It covers the entire car for 7 yrs / 100k from the original purchase date. You can download the warranty from the Nissan website. In your particular case along with the number of issues, I would request for a new car / replacement. Good luck & keep us posted.

The other problems have been minor so if the engine block replacement goes well the 7/100 warranty is fine.

If I have any problems down the road I will go for the new car replacement.

Depending on how the days are counted (does the dealer have to be open) I'll be between 25 and 33% of the 30 days in shop needed for the lemon law.

Nissan contacted me today and will be calling back after they speak to the dealer. I told them I wanted the Gold Preferred 7/100 warranty as compensation.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by ricknyce
This is what my car sounds like at a cold start

http://youtu.be/rpQPy2af2TQ

This is 10-15 minutes later after its warm

http://youtu.be/ELScvsuLAB8

The Good news is, I just left my local Stealership service department and they were pretty good about everything. They want me to set up a time to drop it off ((Which I will probably do on a week long vacation so its not on my mind as much)
Definite bearing issue , the TSB NTB12-071 calls for replacing the bearing which is a huge job , get the to replace the block instead

What year, how many miles ?

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 10-09-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:23 PM

2010 with 50K... I purchase 2 1/2 months ago with 45k
Old 10-09-2013, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by dc8
Thanks for the recordings.
My 2013 SV has 2500 miles but it only makes the normal sounds in the first recording.
Hopefully, it stays that way.
Make sure the car is warm and in Park when you listen, it goes away in reverse or drive
Old 10-09-2013, 01:26 PM

2010 with 50K... I purchase 2 1/2 months ago with 45k
I suggest you bring it by and let them hear it so they don't waste your time.

Make sure you tell them about the TSB

I imagine it's covered under drive train warranty ( do you have an extended or was it a cpo) and hopefully they just swap the block for you

I saw your location, I'm originally from Milford, CT
Old 10-09-2013, 01:57 PM

I suggest you bring it by and let them hear it so they don't waste your time.

Make sure you tell them about the TSB

I imagine it's covered under drive train warranty ( do you have an extended or was it a cpo) and hopefully they just swap the block for you

I saw your location, I'm originally from Milford, CT

I brought it in this morning and they were pretty decent about it. I just have to figure out the best time for myself to leave it there for a try to get them to give me a loaner.. It is covered under the power train warranty.. I also do have extended warranty up to 100K

I'll be calling Nissan Consumer Affairs tomorrow just to make sure I cover my *** going forward.

I'll be in CT this weekend so I'll be stopping by Napoli in Milford, Miller in Fairfield, and D' Addario in Shelton just to see what they say about getting it handled and compensation
Old 10-09-2013, 02:32 PM

I brought it in this morning and they were pretty decent about it. I just have to figure out the best time for myself to leave it there for a try to get them to give me a loaner.. It is covered under the power train warranty.. I also do have extended warranty up to 100K

I'll be calling Nissan Consumer Affairs tomorrow just to make sure I cover my *** going forward.

I'll be in CT this weekend so I'll be stopping by Napoli in Milford, Miller in Fairfield, and D' Addario in Shelton just to see what they say about getting it handled and compensation

The best "Napoli" in Milford is the deli on bpt ave as you head towards the center of Milford from the dealer lol

The service dept has to call Nissan and follow a series of tests then Nissan decides what to do.

I'd wait until you get a diagnosis before calling consumer affairs

Being your car has many more miles and you already have the warranty it will be interesting to see how it gets resolved as far as compensation and if they replace the bearing rather than the block
Old 10-10-2013, 01:34 PM

Nissan called me again. So far Nissan and the dealer have been great. The car should be done by next week and at that time they will discuss compensation. The feeling I get is them giving me Gold Preferred warranty for 7/100 won't be an issue
Old 10-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a clack clack clack at 9,000 miles, it's been there for roughly 3,000 miles. It can be heard in drive but is much louder in neutral. I can hear it at a red light with the windows up, if I place it into "N" it gets louder, Thoughts?
Old 10-11-2013, 05:00 PM

clack clack clack, "bang bang bang", its more like "ting ting ting". Reading this is funny. reminds me from several years ago with the little ole lady trying to explain what the problem is with her car.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:04 PM

I have a clack clack clack at 9,000 miles, it's been there for roughly 3,000 miles. It can be heard in drive but is much louder in neutral. I can hear it at a red light with the windows up, if I place it into "N" it gets louder, Thoughts?
I would think that when the CVT is under load it places pressure on the crankshaft and quiets the bearing down a bit.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:08 PM

Scroll up and listen to the video someone posted, if it sounds like the video when warmed up but not cold you most likely have a bearing issue.

Mine does it in Park and Neutral but it goes away in Drive and reverse

My short block is in, assuming the new block addresses the wrong bearing size I'm now crossing my fingers they put everything back together as it was.

Hopefully they confirm the 7 year bumper to bumper warranty next week

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 10-11-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by sonomamax
clack clack clack, "bang bang bang", its more like "ting ting ting". Reading this is funny. reminds me from several years ago with the little ole lady trying to explain what the problem is with her car.
Yea having the engine replaced on a car with 3800 miles is real "funny".

Since this problem can effect all 7th gens wouldn't it be "funny' if one day you were explaining the noise to the dealer ?
Old 10-11-2013, 07:44 PM

Yea having the engine replaced on a car with 3800 miles is real "funny". Since this problem can effect all 7th gens wouldn't it be "funny' if one day you were explaining the noise to the dealer ?
Wow, really? No ones attacking you bro or making fun of your situation. What's "funny" is trying to voice out mechanical car sounds. Lighten up a little, we're all hoping the best for you.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Serpent
Wow, really? No ones attacking you bro or making fun of your situation. What's "funny" is trying to voice out mechanical car sounds. Lighten up a little, we're all hoping the best for you.
We are trying to get to the bottom of some very serious issues with our cars. There is a time and place for jokes and IMO in the middle of this thread was neither

We have about 3 people on this 5 day old thread and over a dozen more PM's to me with people who may need a new motor and I don't want this thread to turn into a who can impersonate a bearing knock the best contest.

I hope you understand

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 10-11-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:45 PM

Is there an ignore feature on this forum ?
Old 10-12-2013, 04:19 AM

I just checked my 2010 with 27k. Unfortunately, I have the same problem. Thanks for that video.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:38 AM

13maximasv: All I was doing was commenting on the terminology of the problem, IN NO WAY was I saying anything about the problem itself, I have a 2011 and hopefully I am not going to be in this situation. IF I offended you I apologize.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buyer Beware, 2009 - 2013 Factory Bearing Problems