7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate Controlled Heated Seats Mystery Solved

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 06:57 PM

Climate Controlled Heated Seats Mystery Solved

If you are having issues with the climate controlled or heated seats in 7th Gen Nissan Maxima. Please share your experience here. Perhaps that will help us to determine a resolution for these problems.

EDIT 2/22/14 I finally figured out what is going on. See my post #31.

Last edited by Nopike; 02-26-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:01 PM

This is interesting to say the least and a bit frustrating like you mention due to the owners manual not being clear as to how the switch functions interact.
I have an issue with the pass side switch so I'm going to play with this tomorrow and see if it resolves my problem.
I had the dealer look at it (without doing any repairs) and they said it was a switch issue and would cost $178.00 to replace.

Thanks for the insight Nopike!
Old 01-22-2014, 09:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2014 Max and my seats have not worked properly. The drivers side seat will turn itself off within a few short minutes even with the passengers seat on or off. Sometimes it will not even turn on when the car is started. I've taken it to two different dealers a total of 3 times and they can't seem to find the "electrical short" as they refer to it, they as I have tried everything from different climate control settings to not having the passengers heated seat on, they have replaced the switch and heating elements. I have now filed a complaint with Nissan consumer affairs they are sending one of their field techs out to try to fix the problem. They have admitted that the seat is not functioning correctly. Once this mystery is resolved I will post the solution if they ever find one.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Nopike
Although my heated seats now provide heat as I would expect something still does not appear to be correct. According to the FSM wiring diagrams the top and bottom of the drivers seat should be heated using just the drivers side control switch. I will take the wiring diagrams to the Nissan dealer and discuss.

It appears that either the wiring diagrams from the FSM are wrong or the seats are not wired as indicated in the diagrams. Probably need to experiment with these seats a bit more. Would not expect this whole thing to be so complicated.

A proper explanation from Nissan on how exactly these seats are supposed to operate would be helpful.
And the plot thickens.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:10 AM

Yea. I had to update some of my previous posts, some of what was stated just did not make sense. Will have to continue experimenting. I know they are just heated seats, the operation should be pretty straightforward but it does not appear to be the case. Regardless, people appear to be having issues with these systems.

I have read the owners manual multiple times but if someone is clear on exactly how the system operates please feel free to chime in.

Last edited by Nopike; 01-28-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Climate Control Seat

My Maxima also has this climate control problem. So, I have gathered all the information there is to try understand how our Maxima's heated/cooled seat works.
So here it is, our 7th generation Nissan Maxima utilizes latest innovation in heating/cooling system called TED (Thermal Electric Device) in the driver seat ( I'm not too sure about the passenger side seat) opposed to traditional heating coils that people normally assume with heated seats. This TED system uses a semiconductor (P and N-type of substrate material) to run a DC current through this semiconductor material which is sandwiched between a heat-sink to dissipate or generate heat which can be used for cooling or heating purpose with a air blown across this heat sink.

The driver seat uses two separate TED and sensors (one of each for driver seat underside and driver seat backside. There is a single air blower with split air-duct that sends air to both TED in the underside and backside seat. When there's a difference greater than 68 degree Fahrenheit between the underside and backside sensor, it interlocks and shuts down the climate control system as a safety mechanism (probably to prevent a chance of seat catching fire from possible arc or overheating within any heating element... older types of coiled heated seats from various car manufacturers in fact did catch fire years and years ago, not to mention the whole house where the car was housed in a garage). Anyway, so when many people say, and like in my case where the heated seats will turn ON and turn OFF after several minutes as indicated on the LED dial for the heated seats, the sensor might be seeing this difference due to faulty sensor (sensor might be OK in ambient temperatures but out of tolerance when too cold). Or possibly, the sensors may be perfectly fine and but there may be a restriction within the air ducting in one of the underside or backside of the seats to cause this difference of 68 degree Fahrenheit difference. Check out or Google search NTB10-026b (as depicted by picture that shows either/one of the air ducting for the underside or backside is obstructed by the seat cushion foam). The only way to reset this 68 degree Fahrenheit difference interlock is to turn the car's ignition OFF as this resets the Climate Controlled Seat Control Unit.

As for the what controls what: the dial switch to the left side controls the driver side seat as indicated in the schematic that I have attached. The rocker switch to the right side controls the passenger side.

If for whatever reason, you don't get the LED light indication right after you've started the car, the contact relay that I have circled may be not closing to provide power to the seat control unit. I have checked this by listening to the relay click on my car with ACC ON so that I can hear the relay make the "click" sound near the transmission selector lever (but this is not fool proof, as the relay may make the click sound meaning it did close but it may not electrically make full contact to provide power to the Climate Controlled Seat Control Unit.

So what does this all mean? My car is out of warranty with 43,500 miles and last few months, the heated seats have worked everyday even at -7 degrees in Upstate NY these few weeks. The sensors probably have finally beacame normalized at the frigid temperature after constant use????
Attached Thumbnails Climate Controlled Heated Seats Mystery Solved-nissan-maxima-climatecontrolled-seats.jpg   Climate Controlled Heated Seats Mystery Solved-nissan-maxima-seats.jpg  
Old 01-23-2014, 09:49 AM

Very well explained foghorn.

Last edited by Nopike; 01-28-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:56 AM

If that's true, that's just stupid. I don't understand. What if I want the heated seat but the passenger doesn't? That's a dumbass design.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Hawks102089
If that's true, that's just stupid. I don't understand. What if I want the heated seat but the passenger doesn't? That's a dumbass design.
No it's not true. That would be a DA design. Sometimes the designers have their reasons. The left switch controls the drivers CC seat and right switch the passenger heated seat.

Last edited by Nopike; 01-23-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:01 PM

Thats sounds pretty ridiculous. Like the dealer is just making this info up. If nissan designed it so that both switches needed to be on than they would of designed the system with one switch. I'm pretty sure its temp related.

Some1 mentioned in another post that the car needs to warm up and it'll work. We'll i've tried that and the seats/steering would completely not work(instead of intermittently as it usually does). So this morning it was about 30 degrees and the seat did not really heat up even after letting it warm up for 6 minutes and driving 5 miles before turning it on. So when I got off work today it was about 50 degrees and the low setting was working even hotter than the hot setting from the morning. It was working to the point I had to turn it off. So this sounds like the drop in temps is affecting the sensors. I assume the G37's have the same system. Maybe at the G37 forums they have this solved I dont think nissan can get away with selling this half *** feature to them. So we should check their forums out instead of wasting time on this.

Last edited by zoemayne; 01-23-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by zoemayne
Thats sounds pretty ridiculous. Like the dealer is just making this info up. If nissan designed it so that both switches needed to be on than they would of designed the system with one switch. I'm pretty sure its temp related.

Some1 mentioned in another post that the car needs to warm up and it'll work. We'll i've tried that and the seats/steering would completely not work(instead of intermittently as it usually does). So this morning it was about 30 degrees and the seat did not really heat up even after letting it warm up for 6 minutes and driving 5 miles before turning it on. So when I got off work today it was about 50 degrees and the low setting was working even hotter than the hot setting from the morning. It was working to the point I had to turn it off. So this sounds like the drop in temps is affecting the sensors. I assume the G37's have the same system. Maybe at the G37 forums they have this solved I dont think nissan can get away with selling this half *** feature to them. So we should check their forums out instead of wasting time on this.

zoemayne - In the detailed print in foghorn's post, it has been determined that the left switch controls only the driver's seat and the right switch controls only the passenger seat, and there is no connection between the two. That is the only arrangement that would make sense.

As further proof that foghorn is correct in that detail, my wife and I frequently switch driving positions, and are almost always both in the car. She uses the seat heaters on all cool days, while I seldom use the seat heaters. But in summer, I frequently use the individualized driver's seat air conditioner, while she seldom does. Our seat heaters and driver's seat air conditioner have never failed to operate exactly as we feel they should, with no connection between settings of one seat to the other.

It has been very clear from posts here for the last five years that many 7th gen Maximas have a seat heating problem. I suspect these problems may fall into only one or two categories, and am both surprised and disappointed that Nissan Corporate did not take the bull by the horns early-on, find the TRUE problem(s), and have it fixed at the factory before later model years came out with the same seat heating problems.

Has anyone here had these seat heating problems with a 2014 Maxima so far? Or is Nissan still just hoping the problem will disappear on its own?
Old 01-25-2014, 09:21 PM

Looks like Nissan has had these same issues since 2009. During this time many customers were also told that there was nothing wrong with their cars and given the runaround.

Apparently no one from Nissan ever goes on this forum. Maybe they could learn a thing or two if they did. Maybe they were aware of the issues but chose to do nothing?

Last edited by Nopike; 02-18-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:59 AM

Nissan has had these same issues since 2009. During this time many customers were also told that there was nothing wrong with their cars and given the runaround. http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...dont-work.html http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...s-working.html http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...eat-issue.html http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...ted-seats.html http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...eat-issue.html There are plenty more, but you get the message. Apparently no one from Nissan ever goes on this forum. Maybe they could learn a thing or two if they did. Maybe they were aware of the issues but chose to do nothing?
Outstanding detective work and perseverance! I urge you to continue your quest. It can but only help the rest of us and indeed Nissan in the end as I am quite sure these seats are NOT manufactured by and for Nissans only. Many thanks for your work to date and am looking forward to the successful fruition of your mission.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:26 AM

What is disturbing is not only the fact that Nissan has not resolved this issue after all these years but the shameful manner that Nissan has treated customers who have had to deal with it.

Last edited by Nopike; 01-26-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just a thought....

The heated steering wheel is set to regulate the temp of the wheel at 68 degrees, when it reaches temp it shuts off, it if goes below temp it comes back on.

Are the seats the same way? Maybe the bottom portion of the seat has reached temp and that is why the heater is not engaged?

JMHO
Old 01-26-2014, 07:07 AM

No that is not how it works.

Last edited by Nopike; 01-26-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:45 AM

Many here have seats that work perfectly fine and heat fully but many also have seats that do not heat adequately. I do not believe this is a matter of perception. Do not accept this. Contact Nissan customer affairs.

Last edited by Nopike; 01-26-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Nopike,

Is the dealer still refusing to acknowledge that there is a problem with the heated seats? If you still have the manufacturer's warranty, I would strongly suggest you to have this fixed or replaced, as later on it can become very expensive once you run out of warranty, not to mention you are getting your money's worth for the paid feature.
I would point out to the dealer exactly what you have just mentioned by checking the temperature of TED on the underside of the seat cushion. I would also mention to them about the TSB: NTB10-026b. You can find the TSB on the web and print it out for them to refer and consider checking.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:07 AM

Thanks I'm sure it will get fixed while still under warranty.

Last edited by Nopike; 01-26-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by MeHoW
I just have regular heated seats. Well my situation is that when i turn on my seats on HIGH it never gets so hot for me to turn it to LOW. I had Altima n now i have 2013 Pathfinder... seats get so hot it almost burn my *** off lol I need to turn it down after 20 min it gets so hot... in my Maxima seats are on HIGH all the time and not even close in temperature comaring to my other vehicles... I just bought it tho that's why I'm wondering if everything works fine or maybe i need to replace heating pads...
Strange that Nissan would use a seat in one of their vehicles that almost burns you and then use a seat in a Maxima that does not heat adequately.

Last edited by Nopike; 01-26-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Nopike and others,

My seats did the exact same thing, as the guy that said the heated seats were so hot that his pants were almost on fire. Sometimes the heated seats would become extremely hot intermittently and some days the the heated seats would shut off 1 to 2 minutes after turning them ON. I would definitely try get this problem fixed under the warranty. As you, others and I feel slighted by paying for an option on a car that works half-a$$ed, or partially functional.
It is true as LtLeary as he pointed out, that the heated/cooled heats are manufactured by a third party company. (probably the same company that provides seats to other premium car manufacturers perhaps to BMW, Mercedez, Lexus?); but it doesn't allow them to justify Nissan to not acknowledge that the current generation Maxima still has problems as the day they were released and try to hide the fact that they are trying to ignore the problem.
As you and I know that, majority or greater percentage of the people who own the Maxima does not have the climate control option and it is convenient for Nissan to just shrug it off as "what problem?".
So, if I was you, I would really try to make a scene for other owners of the Maxima who doesn't even know that this forum exists or future Nissan buyers; to really let them hear about it. (My wife owns a 2013 Altima and her CVT transmission died the same month we bought it; and she really let the corporate Nissan know that she wasn't amused by their run-around). If the current dealer is not cooperative, I would try a different dealer... and really let the current dealer know about it in the Google review that how stupid (not caring) the sales, customer service, and tech people in that dealership is; so that current (not caring) dealer will eventually have to lose future business in that area and eventually have to go bankrupt for the benefit of us customers. It may not be the fault of the ownership, as some workers (sales, customer service are just too plain stupid to collect checks there and not really care about you) contribute to overall dis-satisfaction to people that lay down huge money for supposedly reliable cars. There will always be another competitor that will rise up to competition, usually with any supply&demand there will always be a car manufacturer/dealer that will try to maximize market share in the area, so that strong/monopoly dealer with less than satisfactory customer support will always level off with an emerging/ satisfying dealership.

Please, send Corporate Nissan a clear message about the importance and value of customer service and overall satisfaction of us consumers; so that we will not be taken advantaged of and screwed over...as people will soon realize that there are other car makers out there.

My current option for my car is to try to take the seat all apart and see which component has failed. My heated seats have been working past several weeks every single day, but I'm not confident that everything is normal...
Old 01-27-2014, 06:28 PM

Well put Foghorn.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:05 PM

Completely by accident I discovered that if I let my *** warm the seat for about 10 minutes, the seat heater works fine.

The steering wheel, on the other hand, becomes almost too hot to touch in about 5 minutes.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima Climate Controlled driver seat heat problems

If you are having issues with the climate controlled or heated seats in 7th Gen Nissan Maxima. Please share your experience here. Perhaps that will help us to determine a resolution for these problems.
My 2011 Maxima has the Climate Controlled driver seat heat problem. It is very unpredictable. It may stay on for 30 seconds or stay on normally. What makes it even more goofy is that it stays on when my wife drives but fails most of the time when I drive. The dealer first checked the vents and cushions. It did not fix the problem. The second time they replaced the seat control unit. It did not fix the problem. I now have a case # assigned to it through Nissan and will be hearing from a regional consumer affairs specialist tomorrow 2/11/14. The phone # for 1st level consumer affairs is 1-800-647-7262
Jeff
Old 02-16-2014, 08:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for starting this thread

Nopike, thanks for starting this thread and the notes you and the other members provided. There is nothing worse than chasing a "phantom" issue.

I have succumbed to doing a lot of what has been suggested here and by other members: start car when cold and leave heated seats off, let your butt warm the seat a bit, move switch to low, then medium after a few minutes. absolutely asinine but that is what works.

My dealer does not have loaners so they can diagnose it and I am just sick of dealing with it. Luckily, my heated wheel works well and that seems to be more important to me.

Hopefully, someone will determine what the issue is and we can have an 'aha" moment.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:17 AM

On the other hand, my steering wheel gets so hot I can barely touch it.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:04 PM

I have had this climate seat issue since I own the car. I can concur complete unpredictability of how the seat will behave at any given time. I have had the seat almost burning my behind and I have had barely any heat from it.
My seat cushion has been replaced 2 times, so I am on cushion number #3.
First cushion was replaced because the leather was stretching, the warmer worked ok as far as I can remember. Cushion #2 was problematic. Heat never worked well, eventually the light started turning off within couple of minutes of the driving. Finally took it to the dealer, they put 3rd cushion on. This immediately fixed the problem, at least for a while. Since then, I have had light turning off couple of times. The heat is also inconsistent.
So the little that I can add to this topic is that the heater element is embedded with the seat cushion, and whatever the problem, it can be fixed with a new cushion, at least temporarily.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:22 PM

FWIW the heater element (TED) and the CC seat control unit are each mounted by two screws to the bottom of the seat cushion. Not really embedded. The seat cushion TED and/or the control unit can be easily replaced after removing the seat from the vehicle. At this point I am still not sure if it is the TED, the control unit or something about the seat cushion that is causing the problems.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:40 PM

FWIW the heater element (TED) and the CC seat control unit are each mounted by two screws to the bottom of the seat cushion. Not really embedded. The seat cushion TED and/or the control unit can be easily replaced after removing the seat from the vehicle. At this point I am still not sure if it is the TED, the control unit or something about the seat cushion that is causing the problems.
Good to know, when I was talking to the dealer, they only showed me the entire seat cushion unit and never gave me the old one back. If I had a couple of minutes to check it out, I would probably discover the same. I was really fuming at first, but at the end of the day apathy took over. I was so sick of thinking of the car and needed to take my mind of it.
The day my warranty expired was truly one of the happiest moments, since as of that moment I no longer had to deal with f**** dealers.
I went through all the grief stages in regards to Nissan. I will not make any forward looking statements like I will never buy another Nissan. All car manufacturers Suck, all of them period. Does not matter how much or little you paid for the car it will have problems. My dealer threw me a few bones along the way, but also treated me like sh*t at times.
Sorry for the rant.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:54 PM

I understand how you feel. There may be some really good dealers out there are also plenty of F###ed up ones. Seems like if you want something done under warranty you are out of luck unless you up a big stink and even then, good luck.

I'm still trying to figure out the cause of the problem. It may just be that there are many defective control units out there. Maybe they are poorly designed or manufactured and no one has bothered to fix them. If/when I find out what is happening I will post the results here.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:07 PM

I finally figured out what is going on. The issues are purely mechanical in nature. The electrical portion of all the climate control seats are probably just fine.

Seems like most, if not all of us, have issues with the seat cushion not providing heat but the seat back actually heats very well. At least that was the case with my car and the other Maxima's that I have driven.

Since my seat back heater (TED) was working well I decided to take a look at it. I noticed that the duct that provides heat from the TED to the seat back was very well sealed and installed tightly so that there are no gaps for the heated air to escape. Whereas the duct that went from my seat cushion TED to the cushion was totally misaligned with approximately an inch gap. There also appeared to be a plastic flange missing that helps direct the air into the cushion.

I created an extension of the duct so that the gap was no longer present and the heated air has nowhere to go but into the cushion. This solved the problem to some degree. Those who are having issues need to make sure this ducting is properly installed and there are no gaps for the heated or cooled air to escape. The TED's do not put out a great deal of heat so if the system is not well sealed, the heated air will escape and never make it to the cushion.

The problem is due to poor alignment, sizing and improper installation of this ducting.

1) This is the seat cushion TED. When heating, warm air is blown out of the top. At the same time cool air is discharged thru the front of the TED. The front is facing you. Ducting is not required for the front.
Name:  TED007_zpscab7b88d.jpg
Views: 8993
Size:  35.0 KB

2) This opening at the bottom of the seat cushion is where the TED mounts and warm air is directed into the seat.
The seatback has a black plastic flange that the ducting mounts into. That makes for a nice tight seal. The flange is not even present on the seat cushion.
Name:  TED001_zps1999ecfd.jpg
Views: 8978
Size:  71.8 KB

3) Note the large gap between the rubber ducting and the seat cushion. This ducting needs to be almost air tight for the TED to work properly. With an air gap such as this no heat will reach the seat. Any small gap here will also cause problems. The TED's do not put out enough heat to overcome this leakage. The TED's actually work better if the seal is almost air tight. Compared to the seatback ducting it appears there are parts missing including a flange that mounts into the hole of the seat cushion.
Name:  TED002_zps9c106e88.jpg
Views: 9279
Size:  77.6 KB

Last edited by Nopike; 02-24-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:14 PM

I finally figured out what is going on. The issues are purely mechanical in nature. The electrical portion of all the climate control seats are probably just fine.

Seems like most if not all of us have issues with the seat cushion not providing heat but the seat back actually heats very well. At least that was the case with my car and other Maxima's that I had test driven.

Since my seat back heater (TED) was working well I decided to take a look at it. I noticed that the duct that provides heat from the TED to the seat back was very well sealed and installed tightly so that there are no gaps for the heated air to escape. Whereas the duct that went from my seat cushion TED to the cushion was totally misaligned with approximately an inch gap/opening. There also appeared to be a plastic flange missing that helps direct the air into the cushion.

I created an extension of the duct so that the gap was no longer present and the heated air has nowhere to go but into the cushion. This solved the problem. Those that are having issues need to make sure this ducting is properly installed and there are no gaps for the heated or cooled air to escape. The TED's do not put out a great deal of heat so if the system is not well sealed the heated air will escape and never make it to the cushion.

The problem is due to poor alignment, sizing and improper installation of this ducting. Thanks so much Nissan you have had five years to figure this one out. It's actually an easy fix. I will post some pictures later so that others can see what is going on.
Great job Nopike, do you have any pics to visualize things better? That would put things into prospective!
thanks
Max
Old 02-22-2014, 04:48 PM

Seems like most if not all of us have issues with the seat cushion not providing heat but the seat back actually heats very well. At least that was the case with my car and other Maxima's that I had test driven.

Since my seat back heater (TED) was working well I decided to take a look at it. I noticed that the duct that provides heat from the TED to the seat back was very well sealed and installed tightly so that there are no gaps for the heated air to escape. Whereas the duct that went from my seat cushion TED to the cushion was totally misaligned with approximately an inch gap/opening. There also appeared to be a plastic flange missing that helps direct the air into the cushion.

I created an extension of the duct so that the gap was no longer present and the heated air has nowhere to go but into the cushion. This solved the problem. Those that are having issues need to make sure this ducting is properly installed and there are no gaps for the heated or cooled air to escape. The TED's do not put out a great deal of heat so if the system is not well sealed the heated air will escape and never make it to the cushion.

The problem is due to poor alignment, sizing and improper installation of this ducting. Thanks so much Nissan you have had five years to figure this one out. It's actually an easy fix. I will post some pictures later so that others can see what is going on.
From what you're explaining the seats should never function. Most of the cases I've heard are of the heating system turning off too much. Like in my case the heating would turn on and off but would stay off for the most part.... I think there are a variety of reasons for these failures from what ive gathered.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:49 PM

Actually I wish I would have followed the FSM trouble shooting instructions. It states that if the climate control seat system turns off in 10 seconds or less from the time it was turned on the cause is electrical. Such as a defective TED or blower motor

If the seats take 30 seconds or longer to shut off the problem is not electrical in nature. It is due to foam pads, ducting or obstruction of the ducts or blower motor.

The climate control unit is well designed and it will shut off very quickly when there is an electrical issue.

Last edited by Nopike; 02-25-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:49 PM

So is there a way to fix the ducting to make the seats work consistently?
Old 02-23-2014, 05:38 PM

I guess it depends if your vehicle is under warranty or not. If it is, you will probably need to battle the dealer to fix it.

The seat has to be removed from the vehicle to access the bottom of the cushion. The issue is that the parts that were used are either the wrong size and/or parts such as the seat flange were omitted. I do not see anything in the Nissan parts manual that shows the missing parts. The ducting that is available from Nissan is ridiculously priced and would have to be cut to size.

I rigged up a temporary extension of the duct using a plastic caulk tube that I cut to size. It is now working much better then before. Not as well as the seat back, but I now have some acceptable heat in the seat. I'm going to try to locate something better. If I find something that fits well I'll let everyone know.

Last edited by Nopike; 03-04-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:12 PM

Are your seat cushion and seatback TED's heating evenly when your system shuts down?

The seatback and bottom work the same meaning they both turn off the same amount. Also my heated steering apparently goes into this fail-safe mode. I cant say that they are related or not but I figured they were both related to the same sensor. This mainly happens when the car has been sitting overnight and the temps have dropped 10-20 degrees by morning.

Just two things:

1) I dont have the cooled seats so my TED might be different..

2) Is nissan really that lazy to not fix an apparently not complicated issue? I'm pretty sure dealers have spent hundreds? of man hours on this issue and Nissan is pumping 2014 maximas out with this issue. MAYBE its being done intentionally because there is an overheating/fire? issue - just a thought....

I'm not taking my seat out anytime soon... Maybe if I was in Alaska but I'm in Fl so.......

Last edited by zoemayne; 02-23-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:20 PM

The steering wheel heat cuts out after about 15 minutes or once cabin temperature reaches 68 degrees or so. That is normal operation.

If you do not have a climate controlled drivers seat you have the old type resistive coil heating and none of this would apply.

Yes Nissan is that lazy. Unfortunately it seems that many of the dealers would rather spend their time pissing off their customers instead of finding the root cause of this issue.

It is not intentional, my seat back heats like crazy. It's a combination of poor workmanship, poor QC and lack of effort on the part of Nissan to resolve the problem. This has been occurring since the 2009 model. This does not give me a very good feeling about Nissan.

Taking a seat out is actually easier than you would think, only thing is make sure the airbag does not go off while you are doing it. That could be trouble.

Last edited by Nopike; 02-23-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:39 PM

I'm out of warranty so hopefully you will be able to come up with something that's quick and easy to fix the problem. What could taking the seat out do to the airbag?
Old 02-23-2014, 06:46 PM

The chances are very slim that the bag would go off, but it could be very ugly if it did. To be on the safe side you need to disconnect the battery for at least 3 minutes before disconnecting the airbag cable and removing the seat.

If you plan to do this yourself. I would suggest removing the headrest, removing the four bolts that hold the seat down, disconnecting the battery and tipping the seat back so you can get a good look at what is going on under the seat.

I don't know if others will have the same ducting issues that I had. Maybe some only need a small adjustment so there are no gaps present.

Last edited by Nopike; 02-23-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Climate Controlled Heated Seats Mystery Solved