7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

New Owner, New member too!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 08:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New Owner, New member too!

Greetings all,

I recently picked up my 2011 Maxima SV with approximately 55000 miles on the odometer. I am absolutely thrilled with the car, not so much with the dealer I purchased it from though. I feel like I overpaid for the car but that's another issue and really not much I can do about it at this point.

My question is should I purchase the extended warranty for this car? It was a 4 year premium warranty that covered just about everything from AllState. I believe there was a $50.00 deductible and the dealer was asking $1400 for the plan.

I'm pretty handy around a car but I feel like the plan could pay for itself with only one or two problems. This car will be my daily commuter so I can't afford to have it off the road for any length of time. My car has the premium and technology package so to me it seems like there is a lot of little things that could go wrong.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcomed! Thanks!
Old 08-29-2014, 09:10 AM

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum. Personally I never buy extended warranties on anything. Over the years the money I have saved has probably by far exceeded any repair or replacement costs I have encountered.

More than likely any problems you encounter will be after the four years are up.

In many ways I prefer not having a warranty because I do not care for most dealer services. When a vehicle is not under warranty I can fix it myself or take it to whomever I want. I rather not be dependent on a dealer to fix my car.

If you really want the warranty. Since you feel you overpaid for the car, tell that to the dealer and lower the price of the warranty by the amount you feel you overpaid. Do you really want to have anything more to do with this dealer?

Last edited by Nopike; 08-29-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by westfall60
Greetings all,

I recently picked up my 2011 Maxima SV with approximately 55000 miles on the odometer. I am absolutely thrilled with the car, not so much with the dealer I purchased it from though. I feel like I overpaid for the car but that's another issue and really not much I can do about it at this point.

My question is should I purchase the extended warranty for this car? It was a 4 year premium warranty that covered just about everything from AllState. I believe there was a $50.00 deductible and the dealer was asking $1400 for the plan.

I'm pretty handy around a car but I feel like the plan could pay for itself with only one or two problems. This car will be my daily commuter so I can't afford to have it off the road for any length of time. My car has the premium and technology package so to me it seems like there is a lot of little things that could go wrong.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcomed! Thanks!
Congratulations! I just bought a 2011 SV with 33K several weeks ago. Really like the car. I declined to extended warranty, this is my 5th Max, and they all have been pretty reliable.

Rather than the warranty, I would position yourself for minimum maintenance in the next few years. Did the dealer equip the car with new tires? are the brakes new? oil changed? does it have a "used certified" inspection?

Also, I see alot of people on this board recommend a CVT fluid replacement around 50K.

Enjoy your new car!
Old 08-29-2014, 08:15 PM

Get the warranty.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:22 PM

Congratulations
Old 08-29-2014, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Try negotiating the warranty down to $1000 and maybe settle at $1200. Everything is negotiable...everything. You may have to do the whole stand up and start walking out trick, but 9 times out of 10 they'll call you back as you exit the building. Worked for me several times. Good luck and hope you have many happy miles with the Max.