7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front suspension work

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 01:13 PM

Front suspension work

I think I let my OCD side out when I noticed last week that my 09 had a split ball joint boot ( most likely caused when a tire carcass wrapped around the wheel well causing a ton of damage that I thought repaired by the body shop.)

After I discovered the ball joint boot split, I happened to read about some folks replacing shocks and struts, and then another about alignment post strut replacement. Well, that too caused me to think, if I was replacing one ball joint, I should replace both and oh, let's not forget about the outer tie rod ends! And did I mention that I had ordered some new Michelin Premier AS to replace my MXV4s that currently have over 105,000 one them with no abnormal wear patterns (just down to 3/32.) better have the suspension as tight as possible to get the same wear out of the new tires.

It took two days (too dang hot and humid here I Fl right now) but I finished the install of the front end components ( both sides with ball joints, struts, strut mounts/bearings, and outer tie rod ends)

Eventhough I also ordered rear shocks and and sway bar bushings, they will have to wait until next weekend after I replenish my fluids and electrolytes!

All were ordered from RockAuto and even with the next day delivery about $450.

I just returned from my "installation lap/test drive" and even without an alignment yet, the difference was night and day. I wasn't expecting such a dramatic drive ability improvement as my tire wear was great ( always one of my key indicators of failing suspension parts) but the old girl felt like a spring chicken with crisp cornering (I always thought it was very good before but fantastic now) Even a test on a washboard road felt more "crisp" (bumps are bumps and with low profile tires and washboard roads you aren't going to float above them, but mush less "skitterish")

Now I can't wait to see what the new rear shocks and sway bar bushings will add next week.

She never road like a car with 295,00 miles before but I can say I am truly amazed what a little (and inexpensive) TLC did for the old lady. I highly recommend that my fellow "hi milers" consider doing the same (maybe this fall as I am beat and wouldn't wish heatstroke on anyone!)
Old 07-05-2015, 09:00 PM

Lt nice job! you did it right. If you have to do the labor to get at the ball joint you may as well hit those other parts especially tie rod etc. I have done this work before on my other vehicles, replacing items on both sides at the same time, and the feel was seriously like a new car. I'm curious as to whether or not you inspected any control arm bushings, etc. while you were under there and, if so, what did they look like after so many miles?
Old 07-06-2015, 07:32 AM

What brand struts an shocks did you go with?
Old 07-06-2015, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Asav
Lt nice job! you did it right. If you have to do the labor to get at the ball joint you may as well hit those other parts especially tie rod etc. I have done this work before on my other vehicles, replacing items on both sides at the same time, and the feel was seriously like a new car. I'm curious as to whether or not you inspected any control arm bushings, etc. while you were under there and, if so, what did they look like after so many miles?
Fortunately the control arm/ball joint ships as a single component (yes the bushings were starting to crack) I had previously replaced my right side transaxle as the boot was cut, but everything else "felt" and looked great. The biggest challenge, for whatever reason was the left control arm/ball joint replacement. For whatever reason, I had to remove the brace for the roll bar before I could get it to attach. 5 secs to remove, two hours to get it thru my head to remove it! And the left tie rod end was damaged so that the castle nut would only come out part way before the shaft would spin, so thank goodness for sawz-all!

My inner tie rods felt ok, which is good in that they are on back order so another day of playing in the garage when they get here (thank goodness for 3 year alignments!)

Undercarriage is clean with no oil or cvt fluid leaks.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bificus99
What brand struts an shocks did you go with?
I went with Monroes. Curiously they didn't ship with the internal plastic rings that reduce noise (top and bottom caps were empty on the Monroe struts) but I wedged the old ones in more for piece of mind than any functional reason.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:28 PM

I hear those Monroe shocks and struts ride firm, which would be good on a non sport SV. That is really all I would want out of this car suspension wise, just a better damper and maybe sway bars.