7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Maxima SV: CVT Adventures

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 07:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2012 Maxima SV: CVT Adventures

So bought a new to me 2012 Maxima SV at just about 3 weeks ago, private seller, not a dealer, with 83k on it. Everything was running just perfect until my first road trip where apparently the CVT overheated with the freeway driving and it went into limp mode, without any codes flashing or check engine light.

So fast forward to today, at the dealership to have the fluid checked/transmission service to see what the diagnosis will be. I am literally praying that it is just a drain and fill that will rectify the overheating issue because I am in the area of the 90k service anyway. However, If I am on the hook for a new CVT, I will not be a Maxima owner, much less anything Nissan very soon.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

And just like that, I am done with Nissan.

Got a call from the dealer just now; codes that are popping point to bad solenoid and issue with low pressure meaning pump is going bad as well. Replacement costs to the tune of $4233.70, which even if I had, I am not dumping into this car. Gotta figure out how I am going to get out from under this dead anchor of a car.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:05 AM

Maybe the seller knew he was selling you a lemon. I would have a talk with him and my lawyer. Sorry about your bad luck with the car.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Nopike
Maybe the seller knew he was selling you a lemon. I would have a talk with him and my lawyer. Sorry about your bad luck with the car.
I am guessing that as well. Right now he will not answer any of my calls or text messages.

The thing that really pisses me off and is another contributing factor to being done with Nissan is that this vehicle had the 30k maintenance checks and 30/60k. They are right there on the Carfax from the Nissan dealership and it didn't even make it to the 90k service check without a catastrophic failure. That tells me that the design is completely flawed or intentionally flawed from the start. Not to mention that it is two parts that completely negate an entire assembly, in this case the solenoid and pump.

Trying to scramble for options right now and see what I can do. Considering that the $4200 is out of my limits right now, a lawyer is as well.

Anyone have any input as to what a 2012 Maxima SV in need of a new CVT would be worth?
Old 07-06-2015, 10:46 AM

I understand. Some have considered having a junkyard CVT installed. You may want to look into that. It's probably worth what you paid for it minus $4200. People who buy inoperable cars are generally looking for bargains.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:08 AM

doesn't it come out of limp mode eventually once it cools down? Im almost at my 60kmiles 100k km warranty and these stories scare me!
Old 07-06-2015, 11:21 AM

Holy crap Im so sorry this hear this is happening to you, hopefully something works out.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:24 PM

There are members here with over 200K on their cars without problems. I'm willing to bet the previous owner drove the car into the ground and then sold it knowing something felt wrong.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:28 PM

I'm not sure about the 12s but my 09 has cvt warranty until 2018 call Nissan maybe the 12s do too
Old 07-06-2015, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by gurule92
I'm not sure about the 12s but my 09 has cvt warranty until 2018 call Nissan maybe the 12s do too
Only the 09's and 10's has the extended CVT warranty by Nissan.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
Only the 09's and 10's has the extended CVT warranty by Nissan.
+1 and I hope I'm proven wrong here but it does not look good for the OP.

I know he's been trying to contact the seller; hopefully there's some sort of protection out there in his state for a private automobile transaction.

Good luck, man.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Got it home from the dealer and here it will sit until I figure out how I am going to get rid of it.

The only good part about today is that the previous owner called me back and appears to be willing to work things out with me or help me figure out what to do with the car.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by AZ_Rich
Got it home from the dealer and here it will sit until I figure out how I am going to get rid of it.

The only good part about today is that the previous owner called me back and appears to be willing to work things out with me or help me figure out what to do with the car.
Ugh at least they're willing to work with you. Did they know of any issues or were they clueless?
Old 07-06-2015, 06:44 PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles. The cvt is bad in my car(2010) too, but my car is still driveable although it seems to be getting worse(80mile daily commute). My symptoms were similar to yours. I experienced limp mode/overheating after exiting the freeway. I actually did a drain/refill a couple weeks before this happened. I've been waiting almost almost 2 months for a part that is covered under warranty, because it is allegedly on backorder. Meanwhile, another member here who was paying out of pocket was able to obtain the part in 2 days. This will definitely be my last Nissan too.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by AZ_Rich
I am guessing that as well. Right now he will not answer any of my calls or text messages.

That tells me that the design is completely flawed or intentionally flawed from the start.
I wouldn't call it a design issue. If it's driven hard/ in mountains/heat of Texas/Florida than the tranny must be serviced. Seems you got scammed. With the Maintenance checks the dealer does I doubt they actually check the fluid. I think they just check for codes. For some reason the dealer are much quicker to do a oil change than a tranny fluid change. They are always like "you dont need to change the fluid till 100k". I'm going to change my fluid next month at 60k.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by zoemayne
I wouldn't call it a design issue. If it's driven hard/ in mountains/heat of Texas/Florida than the tranny must be serviced. Seems you got scammed. With the Maintenance checks the dealer does I doubt they actually check the fluid. I think they just check for codes. For some reason the dealer are much quicker to do a oil change than a tranny fluid change. They are always like "you dont need to change the fluid till 100k". I'm going to change my fluid next month at 60k.
I would call it a design flaw as the Maxima is not being advertised and touted as being like a Versa or some other weak-spine grocery getter. Considering that dealers poo-poo the transmission service until 100k speaks more then enough to me that Nissan knows there is an issue and is purposely being ignorant about it. They failed with the previous generation CVT and are probably loathe to admit failure with this generation.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:18 PM

You had the car only for 3 weeks out it's 3 years of existence.. Who knows what kind of driving etc it's been through. You got scammed. The buyer is prob not going to do nothing for you. Can't be so quick to throw Nissan under the Bus. If this problem was widespread it would be stickied on this site. I hope you got a good deal or your state has some laws. Good luck.

Last edited by zoemayne; 07-06-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:06 PM

Never blame Nissan for the infallible CVT.

Bottom line is unless it becomes a massive safety issue and people are dying in masses as a result of the manufacturers failure to design quality products, the unfortunate purchaser is always stuck with the repair bill and Nissan is free to continue building their flawed products. I am in the same boat, although I did nearly get T boned a couple times on the way home after my CVT failed.

Get a junkyard tranny, go to local reputible transmission shop and get that sucker replaced. Trade trade trade and let it become someone elses headache.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by CorollaULEV
Never blame Nissan for the infallible CVT.

Get a junkyard tranny, go to local reputible transmission shop and get that sucker replaced. Trade trade trade and let it become someone elses headache.
Great advice!
Old 07-07-2015, 06:49 AM

The previous owner knew there was something wrong with the car, no doubt about it. Even if you found a wrecked CVT are the transmission shops equipped to put it in correctly since Nissan keeps them under wraps?

Btw, I think the cvt fluid should be changed every 50k to 60k miles, (I personally do mine every 50k). I would not trust any fluid in any of my cars for 100k miles.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sorry to hear about your issues with the CVT. I had mine replaced under warranty at 57k miles or so. I did a drain & fill at about 93k miles & plan on doing it at 30k miles intervals.

I think getting CVT from the junkyard is the way to go.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:29 PM

OUCHIEeeee
Old 07-07-2015, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by zoemayne
You had the car only for 3 weeks out it's 3 years of existence.. Who knows what kind of driving etc it's been through. Can't be so quick to throw Nissan under the Bus. If this problem was widespread it would be stickied on this site.
+1

Ideally im not a fan of the cvt either. I picked up my 11sv at 36k, former owner was from Texas and the car was spotless. In this Vegas heat however, i didnt make it to 45k without limp mode cvt and heavy whining and no power. After a 5 quart ns-2 change, i can honestly say this is a different car. Maintenance is key and like any car, if the prior owner drove it like an lapd car or batmobile, then hang on to your hats because the internals can go at anytime. Good luck and search heavy for a wrecked max, but they are not too often found in the junkyard.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:12 AM

Most people do not drive like idiots, Some sprited driving should not cause transmission failure. You should not have to baby a well designed drivetrain to keep it from failing. The vast majority of people do not drive in a manner that would cause abuse to their engines or transmissions.

Last edited by Nopike; 07-08-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Nopike
Most people do not drive like idiots, Some sprited driving should not cause transmission failure. You should not have to baby a well designed drivetrain to keep it from failing. The vast majority of people do not drive in a manner that would cause abuse to their engines or transmissions.
Well put, especially for a "sporty family sedan". I drive in the same manner as I did with my last two Maxima's, even less spirited now, & those cars went over 200k miles.

Last edited by 1996blackmax; 07-08-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
Well put, especially for a "sporty family sedan". I drive in the same manner as I did with my last two Maxima's, even less spirited now, & those cars went over 200k miles.
Very true.