7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

I want to go faster, but....

Old 07-13-2015, 12:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I want to go faster, but....

Hello all,

Well I am new Maxima owner (pre owned Black 2012 SV sport package) and I stumbled across this site which has been very use full, however I have read and searched so many different aftermarket parts and I am now confused.

For example, intake systems.

Stillen and Injen carry them and are CARB legel for Cali, however I have read the intakes are sometimes useless because they are inhaling hot engine air so it’s best to just use the K&N filter.

So my question is which are the best emissions compliant aftermarket products (exhaust, pulleys, intake, and anything else I can do) with Cali regulations and worth the money (and efforts).

Being a horsepower fanatic I am getting the urge to purchase all the parts available which is not the wisest thing for me because I need to keep funds open for my other cars so all the advice is welcomed.

I am sure the easy answer is search the site as I have been, but I would rather hear from enthusiasts that have gone down this path previously.

Thank you in advance.

J
Old 07-13-2015, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by snSSter
Hello all,

Well I am new Maxima owner (pre owned Black 2012 SV sport package) and I stumbled across this site which has been very use full, however I have read and searched so many different aftermarket parts and I am now confused.

For example, intake systems.

Stillen and Injen carry them and are CARB legel for Cali, however I have read the intakes are sometimes useless because they are inhaling hot engine air so it’s best to just use the K&N filter.

So my question is which are the best emissions compliant aftermarket products (exhaust, pulleys, intake, and anything else I can do) with Cali regulations and worth the money (and efforts).

Being a horsepower fanatic I am getting the urge to purchase all the parts available which is not the wisest thing for me because I need to keep funds open for my other cars so all the advice is welcomed.

I am sure the easy answer is search the site as I have been, but I would rather hear from enthusiasts that have gone down this path previously.

Thank you in advance.

J
Searching the site isn't the easy answer.

I mean you can make any car faster if you have the money. IMO the Nissan Maxima isn't as Mod friendly as it use to be. These days if you want that get up and go, it's best to purchase a car that can allow that and the maxima isn't one of them.

If you were willing to go a couple of years older and with an extended warranty, a 2007 E55 or a 2008-2010 E63 Benz would've been your best shot for a fast 4 door car. Both cars are knocking on 500hp STOCK!!!!!

But as it seems you have already purchased the Maxima, the typically very pricy options are always still there.

Welcome to the forums and please, ask away.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:30 PM
Administrator

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but you bought the wrong car if you're a horsepower fanatic. You'll be spending a lot of money with minimal to no gains.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Perhaps my title is misleading.

I do want to go fast, there is no question. But I think failed to mention, this is me daily driver/commuter/car I can take my 1 1/2 yr old in.

So going fast should really mean, I am bored and I want to add more horsepower even if it is just 30hp total.

Understanding that there is very little options for the Maxima, was one reason why I chose the car. It keeps me from spending too much money on this car and to spend on the cars which are MUCH more hp and have no smog regulations. The second is that I have been a Nissan fan since it was called Datsun. Yes I may have aged myself.

To circle back, I really just want to add some good/proven bolt on parts so I am not an average Maxima.

Does that help?

Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Suspension, exhaust, & cosmetic mods is where it's at for this gen.

Since you said daily driver-
Rear Sway Bar (Racingline or Stillen), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, SPC Rear Camber Kit...these things will make a substantial improvement in the handling characteristics of the car.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
Suspension, exhaust, & cosmetic mods is where it's at for this gen.

Since you said daily driver-
Rear Sway Bar (Racingline or Stillen), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, SPC Rear Camber Kit...these things will make a substantial improvement in the handling characteristics of the car.
This about sums it up, though you won't be able to buy an upgraded y-pipe as none are carb compliant. This means you won't see any gains from exhaust upgrades (mufflers), just noise.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:54 PM
Administrator

I do want to go fast, there is no question. But I think failed to mention, this is me daily driver/commuter/car I can take my 1 1/2 yr old in.

So going fast should really mean, I am bored and I want to add more horsepower even if it is just 30hp total.

Understanding that there is very little options for the Maxima, was one reason why I chose the car. It keeps me from spending too much money on this car and to spend on the cars which are MUCH more hp and have no smog regulations. The second is that I have been a Nissan fan since it was called Datsun. Yes I may have aged myself.

To circle back, I really just want to add some good/proven bolt on parts so I am not an average Maxima.

Does that help?

Thanks again.
Yes, this helps. I don't know 7th gens as much as I do 4th and 5th gens, but I think you're going to find it tough to pick up 30 real hp at the wheels. Hopefully the modded 7th geners will chime in and share more insight.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:19 PM

With enough $$$$$ you could hit 30 hp but imagine the cost!

IMO, lower the car and stiffen the suspension a bit and just drive it
Old 07-13-2015, 10:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I thought Stillen's cat system was carb? I could be wrong and that wouldn't be the only time.

So want about the pulley system, is it worth it or is that a dead duck?

It is becoming apparent that my spending spree will be on handling, which is not a bad thing.

Thanks again for the continued feedback. It's great to hear from enthusiasts.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:42 AM

I do not know about the Stillen exhaust. I thought they only had a cat back, not a full system.

The pulley is worth it. I would say it adds just as much power as the full exhaust, meaning about 10whp.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:01 PM

Y pipe+ exhaust are the best bolt ons for these cars.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:54 PM

Motordyne exhaust and y-pipe sound the best so far
Old 07-14-2015, 08:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is the Motordyne Calif compliant?

If not, I am limited to Stillen's system because they are CARB.

Wow I hope Stillen can offer a discount, it looks like they carry quite a few parts I need.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Stillen's sales line up with the Holidays usually. They just had a small 4th of July sale
Old 07-15-2015, 03:12 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Yes, this helps. I don't know 7th gens as much as I do 4th and 5th gens, but I think you're going to find it tough to pick up 30 real hp at the wheels. Hopefully the modded 7th geners will chime in and share more insight.
This is very true. And being that his is a “late” model year for the VQ35, having gone through many many iterations, it’s on its last leg as far as adding power. I remember when the VQ35 was fairly new and was only managing 195-205 whp stock. Now it’s over 300whp in some applications (5.7 bolt ons swap for one). That’s over 100whp that can be added to say a 5.5 gen. Problem is, these engines are already close to their potential (NA at least) from the factory. In so many words, they’re already giving you most of what they can/have. I was recently skimming Q50’s and also saw this and it’s difficult to even add 30 whp to those, since they’re also nearing their limit without spending more than one with half a brain could muster.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:44 PM

Does that help?

Thanks again.
Keep in mind CVT is the real issue that our car can't gain good whp on mods. The CVT caused most companies to ignore this gen(fail on Nissan). If we had a standard auto and/or 6spd trans this engine/gen could go so far. I could see on an avg this car running 325whp-400whp depending on N/A or Turbo(low psi). Thats another thread=D....

For you, best mods would be y-pipe+cat-back exhaust/pulley/intake/oil cooler. Now the big heavy hitter is the ypipe made by Racingline or Motordyne. Both give about the same whp gain. However, RL is cheaper but known for fitment issues. Motordyne is waay better quality and maybe 1-3whp more due to material(just guessing) but also around $600. Cat-back exhaust there are a few to choose from but my fav is Motordyne waay better quality also $1300. Cat-back doesn't give actual whp but helps with exhaust flow(IF any, possibly 1-3, I would guess=/). Pulley helps with response but doesn't give actual whp but known to free up around 1-2hp. Now intake, here is the tricky one. Normally intakes do help add whp to your engine as long as its getting COLD AIR and not HOT. Some will get the short ram which is the only thing our cars have, and think it adds. The only intake I can see adding anything around 5whp would be the $400+ AEM with the heat shield casing. But any enthusiasts knows $400+ for an intake is just crazy especially for a car you KNOW is NOT a race car. Most get it for engine sound and looks. Which again I think AEM takes the cake on that one(looks bad azz and sounds awesome). So with all that you'll prolly see around 15-18'ish whp gain(just a guess) and possible a little more with a tune. Which our cars are HARD to tune and most tuners will turn you down simply cuz its a waste of time due to the CVT and apparently no dyno mode=/ so yah. based off my list thats 3K in mods on performance for what 15-18whp. It's a simple show-off thing at that point=). Motordyne ypipe+exhaust $2300(w shipping I believe) $450 for intake. $150? for pulley. $150 at least for oil cooler which this one is just an option. SOOOOOOO yah lol. Sorry for the long write up lmao.

Last edited by Nihon7GM; 07-15-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:50 PM

Also fyi, that last write is just based off basic performance mods. I dont know whether they would pass Cali emissions.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:10 PM

You definitely add more than 18whp with all those bolt ons lol. But yes the main point is that this car isn't the most mod friendly. From adding all the bolt ons and performance mods I can tell you that the car does pull harder and is more responsive but this is just the butt dyno. Will be tuning it soon because you never really know your car until you tune it.

Stay away from short ram air intakes and just get a drop in filter. I use Apexi because it's rated over K&N and it's a dry filter.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:20 PM

I agree but I would rather give a lower number than higher one=), that way he can be happier if he hit a higher one haha. Besides no one has yet to get an accurate tune, if so they havent posted and keepin it to themselves......greedies haha. Seriously though the only bolts i mentioned really aren't a lot. considering we don't have headers or anything I really cant see our car going past 18whp on gains. Based off the stock dyno that I saw I think it was 224-234 we would prolly be around 245-255'ish. But again, I agree, sorta haha.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nihon7GM
I agree but I would rather give a lower number than higher one=), that way he can be happier if he hit a higher one haha. Besides no one has yet to get an accurate tune, if so they havent posted and keepin it to themselves......greedies haha. Seriously though the only bolts i mentioned really aren't a lot. considering we don't have headers or anything I really cant see our car going past 18whp on gains. Based off the stock dyno that I saw I think it was 224-234 we would prolly be around 245-255'ish. But again, I agree, sorta haha.
Even that dyno has to be taken with a grain of salt because no one else has been able to replicate it. Technically OBX makes some 07-12 3.5 Altima headers that should fit our cars but idk how ideal headers are with this transmission.

I think every bolt on for this car is worth it minus those expensive exhaust. With those exhaust you're honestly just paying for looks and sound because bigger piping does not equal a higher exhaust flow rate. And 304 SS is not going to perform better than 409 SS. It's just going to look better. As long as it's mandrel bends and not crimple, that's all that matters
Old 07-15-2015, 05:38 PM

Yah, I would love Motordyne exhaust but I might end up just getting RL and get a custom exhaust made. Mods are worth it because it makes the car better that I can agree, however, for the price on most of this parts for the small gains isn't IMHO. I came from Japan and most cars there you can fix get great gains for those prices, even cars here in the states with my buddies here on their cars the price/mods are worth it. When it comes to looks and what not thats really all you can see for the future in this car. I love this car dont get me wrong but it is sooo far from a 4DSC. This car is made for more of the stanced nation IMO.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Now that is the write I am talking about. That's the info I need.

I have read the CVT is less than stellar, but under normal (or as close to normal) conditions it should suffice.

It's apparent that the y-pipe, an intake filter, pulley, and oil cooler are basically it. That and the suspension upgrades I should feel a difference. Perhaps that is the difference I need. My budget for mods was $2k, so it sounds like (Due to Calif regulations) Stillen will be getting my grocery list.

Guys, I truly appreciate the input. I feel a lot more confident going forward.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:50 PM

don't forget the transmission cooler, Ross reminded me about that one which would wise to get for the CVT.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:29 PM

I would say the trans cooler is more important than the oil cooler.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:09 PM

2K in a used WRX or STI would get you the best power and handling upgrades. Sorry but modding these cars as far as power suck! Rear sway bar is a must but the exhaust stuff I will not waist my time on. Hate all you want. But go buy a used WRX or STI and have some fun.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Trans cooler. Now I never came across that thread. With all the buzz about the potential CVT tranny issues that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the tip.

In regards to an STI, my wife wanted me to get one. But the trunk space is tiny. My kids stroller won't fit as well as the other things I need to lug around. On top of that, I did not want to pony up that much more money. Believe me, if I go the STI route I'll end up spending $10k in mods and and a few more in tickets.

I'd rather take the money and put it in my muscle cars.