7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What color is Nissan NS-2 cvt fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 04:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What color is Nissan NS-2 cvt fluid

Hey guys, recently had someone hit the front of my car. Long story short $4500 worth of damage. Picked the car up the other day 5 min down the highway loss of power, pull over purple fluid all over the ground and car coming from transmission pan area. Can someone please confirm the correct color of the NS-2 cvt fluid. Shop had to replace the radiatior and other parts on the front and said they put new coolant and cvt fluid in prior to me picking it up.
Thanks
Old 07-13-2015, 04:55 PM

Did fluid swap approximately 1 month ago, Genuine Nissan NS-2 CVT fluid had green tint.
Keep in mind, SOME different brands will color their fluids differently. Do some research before taking this next piece as fact: I believe Royal Purple tints their fluids purple...

Anyway, hope you get it sorted out.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:00 PM

They fried your CVT transmission
Old 07-13-2015, 05:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the replys guys. Dealership called today and said the radiator hose busted open causing the cvt fluid and coolant to drain out. Does this sound plausible? I have read in previous posts the cvt has a transmission cooler built into the radiator. Possibly the red colored coolant and green cvt fluid combined making purple looking fluid? I'm at a loss here. Everything is being covered by insurance I just want to make sure they fix it correctly as I had to have the repairs done at a Toyota dealership for it to be guaranteed by GEICO.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Red mixed with green would be yellow sorry.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:21 PM

Not nissan brand fluid, but if you look at 1:30 of this video the fluid being drained out, appears to be purple.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:33 PM

The shop who did the body work, to save $$, used a OEM EQUIVALENT CVT transmission not the OEM one.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by SuperBlack
Thanks for the replys guys. Dealership called today and said the radiator hose busted open causing the cvt fluid and coolant to drain out. Does this sound plausible? I have read in previous posts the cvt has a transmission cooler built into the radiator. Possibly the red colored coolant and green cvt fluid combined making purple looking fluid? I'm at a loss here. Everything is being covered by insurance I just want to make sure they fix it correctly as I had to have the repairs done at a Toyota dealership for it to be guaranteed by GEICO.
How does a broken radiator hose cause cvt oil to drain out. The cvt oil cooler that's inside of the radiator is a closed system. Loosing the water in the radiator should not cause the cvt fluid to drain out. Or am I missing something from the OP's post?
Old 07-13-2015, 07:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Richard66
How does a broken radiator hose cause cvt oil to drain out. The cvt oil cooler that's inside of the radiator is a closed system. Loosing the water in the radiator should not cause the cvt fluid to drain out. Or am I missing something from the OP's post?

My thoughts exactly. I'm fairly sure something fishy is going on here with the shop . Still not sure what would cause all the cvt fluid to all come out and the cvt to fail while driving. Basically the car would not go into any gear or move and would only rev to about 2k rpms. They claimed this was from a blown radiator hose. I'm supposed pick the car up tomorrow and am fairly sure it will be going right back in.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by SuperBlack
My thoughts exactly. I'm fairly sure something fishy is going on here with the shop . Still not sure what would cause all the cvt fluid to all come out and the cvt to fail while driving. Basically the car would not go into any gear or move and would only rev to about 2k rpms. They claimed this was from a blown radiator hose. I'm supposed pick the car up tomorrow and am fairly sure it will be going right back in.
Before you drive it off the lot, verify the color of the cvt oil. Anything but a green tint, it would not be NS-2.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for all the reply and info guys.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:47 PM

It is super odd that this thread shows up as I'm getting ready to pick my car up after transmission replacement (being replaced as of today). I picked up a junkyard transmission with 40K miles (mine failed at 148K miles). I pulled pan off of junkyard tranny, cleaned magnets, inspected, etc. before delivering car and junkyard tranny to shop. Fluid in bottom of tranny was quite purple in color - very purple like blackberry wine colored. My dad even commented on color. This tranny was from a 2010 model wrecked in 2013, so it's been sitting for 2 years. Appears it was inside storage building because it doesn't look like it's been out in the elements for 2 yrs, but may have been. My first thought is that some dummy put regular DEXRON fluid in it. Then I tipped it up on its side and drained some fluid out of where axles go in and fluid was normal light tan color (not purple at all). Gotta think - oil floats on water, so coolant would settle to bottom...

My thought - it was wrecked and there was some coolant that got into the transmission from the fluid cooler when the radiator was smashed at the time of the accident??

Soo...leaking coolant into transmission probably would cause some discoloration like this, I'd imagine. Just my thoughts...

Last edited by CorollaULEV; 07-14-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:28 AM

when nissan original cvt fluid is exposed to oxygen for a while it turns purple. I see this all the time at our shop
Old 06-17-2023, 02:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Careful with fake CVT transmission fluid

[QUOTE=QueensMAX;9153615]when nissan original cvt fluid is exposed to oxygen for a while it turns purple. I see this all the time at our shopI agree with you that's a sign of original CVT transmission fluid,if you buy CVT transmission fluid and just pour a little bit on the floor maybe a lid wait a few minutes it will change color to purple if not it's a fake oil