7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP! I need validation on mods I want...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 07:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

PLEASE HELP! I need validation on mods I want...

Good Morning,

I'm reaching out to Max owners that have made mods to there car. I've made moves and continuing to make them. I'm a touch nervous about some upgrades I figure have already been performed by others. You see back in the day my first car at 19 or 20yr was a Pearl White 94 300zx tt (FairLady Z). I street raced and tuned her out, making real money a night. I'm 32 now and a family man with a edge still. So I need 4 doors lol, with a Z engine under the hood. So far I've made some small upgrades:

2012 Nissan Maxima Limited Edition (7thGen)
1. Syn Oil
2. Syn Oil Booster (Lupus)
3. Nothing ever less than 91 Octane
4. ToYo all weather performance tires
5. Power Stop drilled slotted rotors, Performance Pads, Power Stop Calipers.
6. K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake
7. AAM Competition Exhaust (burnt tips & chrome)

Because its a family car mostly I don't wanna do to much. I just want to take it to a certain level and stop. I'll get a coupe in a year or 2.

I wanna this much more done:

1. Phenolic Thermal Manifold spacer
2. Light weight
Flywheel (snappy response)
3. Dyno

4. Sports Suspension

As for the wants listed above I have a couple concerns. First I would like to know if anyone found that the Phenolic Thermal Manifold spacer actually works, boosts power/lower temps? Has anyone had any issues with it? Then I would like to know if you ran a Dyno on your CVT max tranny. I hate the cvt and already have had to replace my tranny under warranty. Has anyone had any Tranny issues since running a Dyno??? I'm super nervous about tuning that CVT.... My warranty is out on that tranny now, and I would hate to Fu@# it up trying to Dyno my Max. Also did the Max pull OK to Pretty good power from the Dyno???

Please help lol!
Old 07-15-2015, 10:35 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

You might want to try posting this in the 7th gen forum to start.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
You might want to try posting this in the 7th gen forum to start.
He did.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:00 PM

You can add the basic mods which would be the y-pipe IF you haven't already. Apparently it's also pointless to tune the Maxima since the #'s jump around so much(from what I heard). If this helps, a person posted stock #'s which I think were 227whp-234whp?? I could be wrong so please chime in if you know. So that is just a rough estimate on what you might see. I wouldn't worry about tuning it unless you know someone who has tuned at least two 7gen maximas.......successfully lol. That or you'll simply have to take the risk. I've heard with the ypipe/cat-back/intake the car pulls good enough even without the tune. In which the intake will only help if you keep the hot air out haha unless you dont mind the lag off the line. I'd say just do the ypipe keep your exhaust and current mods maybe add an oil cooler to help with heat issues if you havent done so already and you'll be good to go.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nihon7GM
You can add the basic mods which would be the y-pipe IF you haven't already. Apparently it's also pointless to tune the Maxima since the #'s jump around so much(from what I heard). If this helps, a person posted stock #'s which I think were 227whp-234whp?? I could be wrong so please chime in if you know. So that is just a rough estimate on what you might see. I wouldn't worry about tuning it unless you know someone who has tuned at least two 7gen maximas.......successfully lol. That or you'll simply have to take the risk. I've heard with the ypipe/cat-back/intake the car pulls good enough even without the tune. In which the intake will only help if you keep the hot air out haha unless you dont mind the lag off the line. I'd say just do the ypipe keep your exhaust and current mods maybe add an oil cooler to help with heat issues if you havent done so already and you'll be good to go.
The 7th Gen Maxima has had no problems being tuned, it's had more problems being dyno'd. If you go to uprev and look up their certified locations you'll have no worries. And while the oil cooler is good, it's better to get a tranny cooler.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Soul Reaper
Good Morning,

I'm reaching out to Max owners that have made mods to there car. I've made moves and continuing to make them. I'm a touch nervous about some upgrades I figure have already been performed by others. You see back in the day my first car at 19 or 20yr was a Pearl White 94 300zx tt (FairLady Z). I street raced and tuned her out, making real money a night. I'm 32 now and a family man with a edge still. So I need 4 doors lol, with a Z engine under the hood. So far I've made some small upgrades:

2012 Nissan Maxima Limited Edition (7thGen)
1. Syn Oil
2. Syn Oil Booster (Lupus)
3. Nothing ever less than 91 Octane
4. ToYo all weather performance tires
5. Power Stop drilled slotted rotors, Performance Pads, Power Stop Calipers.
6. K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake
7. AAM Competition Exhaust (burnt tips & chrome)

Because its a family car mostly I don't wanna do to much. I just want to take it to a certain level and stop. I'll get a coupe in a year or 2.

I wanna this much more done:

1. Phenolic Thermal Manifold spacer
2. Light weight
Flywheel (snappy response)
3. Dyno

4. Sports Suspension

As for the wants listed above I have a couple concerns. First I would like to know if anyone found that the Phenolic Thermal Manifold spacer actually works, boosts power/lower temps? Has anyone had any issues with it? Then I would like to know if you ran a Dyno on your CVT max tranny. I hate the cvt and already have had to replace my tranny under warranty. Has anyone had any Tranny issues since running a Dyno??? I'm super nervous about tuning that CVT.... My warranty is out on that tranny now, and I would hate to Fu@# it up trying to Dyno my Max. Also did the Max pull OK to Pretty good power from the Dyno???

Please help lol!

The Phelonic Spacers was the third mod I did and I can tell you that I felt torque steer for the first time in this car after that! They definitely help with power. The underdrive pulley I did last July and it definitely makes the car more snappy. I've had no problems with either of these mods so I would highly recommend them. I would recommend they get installed professionally especially the UDP. I did the spacers myself but when I look back idk if I'd do it again because it was a lot of work!! Lol
Old 07-15-2015, 05:29 PM

well typically when you tune the car you get dyno'd unless I am missing something? basically what I am saying to is see your whp #'s it will be practically hard to do since the numbers get thrown around. I've heard ppl tuning their cars but dont post the results because the #'s were so inaccurate it was no point. Which I had asked one of my friends for his #'s and he was telling me like 238-249whp but it wasn't constant......and yes i agree with the trans cooler forgot that one=/
Old 07-15-2015, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nihon7GM
well typically when you tune the car you get dyno'd unless I am missing something? basically what I am saying to is see your whp #'s it will be practically hard to do since the numbers get thrown around. I've heard ppl tuning their cars but dont post the results because the #'s were so inaccurate it was no point. Which I had asked one of my friends for his #'s and he was telling me like 238-249whp but it wasn't constant......and yes i agree with the trans cooler forgot that one=/

On typical platforms that is the way to go but because our cars are very limited in the aftermarket performance world; every shop that I have called just told me that they already have a tune prepared based on what I have installed. They tell me I can dyno it after but it will really just be a waste and can only give me estimates.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ross2893
On typical platforms that is the way to go but because our cars are very limited in the aftermarket performance world; every shop that I have called just told me that they already have a tune prepared based on what I have installed. They tell me I can dyno it after but it will really just be a waste and can only give me estimates.
well the mods will get tuned with your ecu but again, I was referring to those who actually wanted to know the gain/numbers from those mods which the dyno will help with. Thats why I mentioned my friends dyno. He thought he was going to see around 265'ish and was disappoint with the out come....granted the tuner told him not to worry that was just a consecutive tune and the numbers were inaccurate. tunner didn't even charge for the dyno afterwards cuz it was just all over the place...couldnt get accurate readings